I called Verizon regarding their single line plans as they have some good promos going on and told them I left a month ago because the BlackBerry Passport is GSM. Their resolution was the Z30, which apparently just came back in stock for Verizon. I received a full 21% discount and unlimited data which was difficult to give up. I spoke with a few reps as I went up the chain and they discussed the phase out of CDMA, how they are the biggest with the best coverage, as well as stating they would indeed carry the Passport using VoLTE (nothing about a CDMA variant, but didn't ask). I was asked to try to be patient with them regarding the Passport as their network is not ready at this time.

I do receive a higher AT&T discount, but for the life of me I can't figure out what part of the plan the % came off of. It was less than I expected. Verizon seems to be better with employee discounts. I did verify with AT&T the discount percent and received a few different answers as to where the % is taken off of and countered with, "I just calculated the percent and the discount is less than it should be". In the end AT&T couldn't really provide facts just that I was receiving my correct discount.

I technically could package up my Passport for my mother who has a Z10 on AT&T for her birthday and use a Z30 on Verizon, but it is so difficult parting with this device. Was going to upgrade my mother to a Z30 via shopblackberry, but she insists that she can handle the Passport (has no idea of my plans, but she needs a bigger screen and battery). I can barely play with her Z10 after using the Z30 and Passport for so long; the screen is just small and appears clustered to me.

Anyway, went a bit off-topic but just wanted to share what I was told by Verizon.

Posted via CB10
    10-30-14 05:35 AM
    They said that they will carry it or that it will work. Once they release volte?

Z30STA100-3/10.2.1.3289
    kbz1960 likes this.
    10-30-14 05:44 AM
    The Passport does see Verizon LTE towers. Mine is on T-Mobile but in manual selection mode I can see the local Verizon LTE radio system. I can't connect to it (since it won't authorize against my T-Mobile SIM) but provided Verizon could carry voice calls over that network, and if I had a Verizon SIM, it would work.

The problem is that as soon as you get out of an LTE service area you'd have nothing due to Verizon's CDMA towers being unsupported.
    Attached Thumbnails Verizon begging back.. "Will have Passport"-img_20141030_074921.jpg  
    10-30-14 07:47 AM
    As Verizon isn't planning to do VoLTE until 2016 now.... not sure that means very much.

And even if they did allow devices to access this feature pretty soon.... there are a LOT of areas where I don't get LTE - even though according to the coverage map, my whole town should have LTE. I'd hate to know my phone service would only work when LTE was available. Phone coverage is GREAT, as there are only a few spots where I've lost a call. Either Verizon plans to "pump up" the power to extend the reach of existing LTE Radios, or they are having to make some additional upgrades to improve coverage so that the LTE and CDMA coverage areas match.

They offered you an unlimited data plan? I would like to know how and at what price point they offered that!
    10-30-14 08:09 AM
    As Verizon isn't planning to do VoLTE until 2016 now.... not sure that means very much.
    I'm getting tired of reading posts like this.... Verizon has already prepared the roll out of VoLTE, however, it only works on a specific number of devices thus far: the Samsung Galaxy S5, LG G2 the iPhone 6/6+ and most recently the Droid Turbo.

It is true that not every market has VoLTE (especially small towns), and not every person has a VoLTE enabled phone (this requires the hardware for it as well as a software update and also enabling access to VoLTE via your VZW account, not to mention enabling it on your phone). This is perhaps what VZW meant by "pushing it back to 2016," you probably misunderstood that, when, what they meant was having VoLTE rolled out in all of their markets by 2016, as well as getting all of their customers to acquire a VoLTE enabled device. They initially planned to roll it out in late 2014/early 2015, and that is exactly what we've been seeing with the release of these new devices (again, check out the specs of all recently released devices and you will see that they are all prepared for VoLTE). If you do a search you will see that for the major markets, the VoLTE installations are already setup, they just need to implement the technology in the other smaller markets and then by 2016, I'm sure they will announce that "VoLTE is enabled in the continental USA."

If VoLTE were to be released/enabled in 2016, why would phones already have the tech for it? I've never seen technology forecast stuff, and why are there tons of posts online regarding "how to enable VoLTE on your device name

VoLTE would be used across Verizon's band 13, which the Passport happens to pick up , as well as other bands.

Now, onto the Passport... I believe VZW will release the Passport in the same time that it releases the Classic, and both phones will most likely use VoLTE.

I think instead of making threads like this, or shooting down threads like this, we should just wait until December (it's only a month away ffs) and then see what happens.
    10-30-14 09:04 AM
    I am in the northeast and recently traveled down to South Carolina... there was a brief time I was not on LTE, but my areas and mostly the entire northeast is on LTE through Verizon. The post stating that certain devices are already VoLTE compatible is correct. The iPhone 6, I believe, being one of them. On AT&T sometimes I'm on 4G other times LTE, whereas I never left LTE on Verizon.

As I just recently left my unlimited plan, they would place me back on this plan as a winback customer since it has only been a month since leaving. I was actually looking at their newer promotions for single lines that lead me to even inquire as their current promotions are cheaper than AT&T. At least from what I was offered.

Since I already have a Passport, I was assured that I could use a Z30 while they are ramping up VoLTE if interested. This would lead me to believe that the Passport is VoLTE compatible. They did request that I give them some time to get the Passport as well though, so on the other hand it seemed like they would carry the Passport but it is still a ways off (and probably not finalized if it is in fact a new CDMA version). That is how I took it from the highest rep I could get. That there are plans to carry the device, but I can use the Z30 as a placeholder for the Passport until next year.

Just sharing some information from the call I had with Verizon.

Posted via CB10
    thedose likes this.
    10-30-14 09:40 AM
    OP: Just an fyi, AT&T takes the discount off of the phone portion of the plan only. I also have a corporate discount with AT&T
    10-30-14 10:15 AM
    OP: Just an fyi, AT&T takes the discount off of the phone portion of the plan only. I also have a corporate discount with AT&T
    Thanks for the heads up. That is what I was told from a few reps, but the percent of the discount is not matching the actual credit. I wonder if the discount percent shows if I create an online account as the credit they gave me would be a different percent than I expected. If you happen to have set up an account with AT&T online as they have been encouraging me to do let me know if you can how the discount shows online (if it even does). Thanks!
    10-31-14 01:20 AM
    It does show online as my percentage and then shows the actual cost of it as a minus
    10-31-14 08:38 AM
    I had my Verizon B2B rep tell me he has seen the Passport running on Verizon. All I needed to hear to order and give it a shot. If it doesn't work out I will return and wait for official.

Posted via Q10
    10-31-14 08:52 AM
    I had my Verizon B2B rep tell me he has seen the Passport running on Verizon. All I needed to hear to order and give it a shot. If it doesn't work out I will return and wait for official.

Posted via Q10
    Don't even bother opening it,.. it will not work.

Posted via CB10
    10-31-14 09:20 AM
    If and when Verizon get their VoLTE up and running in a reliable manner, I may consider going back to them as long as they offer no annual contract offers (never doing that again).

I find while I get more "bars" of AT&T around where I live, the data transfer speeds are lower than Verizon. I mean, at home I get full bars for AT&T, while I would see only 1-2 bars of Verizon 4G LTE. The weak VZW connection was faster.

I'm also a bit puzzled as to why AT&T drops you down to 4G so eagerly, while VZW would let you latch on to 4G LTE until the last dB of signal. Probably because VZW would have to drop you back to 3G instead of AT&T's non-LTE faux 4G (which is very slow).

The only thing that I like about AT&T is that I can freely use unlocked devices. Not sure if VoLTE will change that for big red,.. but until then, they've lost me as a customer.

Posted via CB10
    10-31-14 09:27 AM

Posted via Q10
    Once again, I hate the fact that you can return electronics for whatever reason.
    AnimalPak200 and zehkaiser like this.
    10-31-14 09:28 AM
    Don't even bother opening it,.. it will not work.

Posted via CB10
    I agree and wasn't encouraging anybody on Verizon to get a Passport. The only way you would be able to get a Passport to work on Verizon would be if the device has been activated as a VoLTE device and another if Verizon has launched VoLTE in your city. That is the only way I can see it working and from what I hear, Verizon has not launched VoLTE in many places yet... unless of course you are a BlackBerry employee with a CDMA Passport... as far as we know, it doesn't exist lol.

Posted via CB10
    AnimalPak200 likes this.
    10-31-14 09:30 AM
    I agree and wasn't encouraging anybody on Verizon to get a Passport. The only way you would be able to get a Passport to work on Verizon would be if the device has been activated as a VoLTE device and another if Verizon has launched VoLTE in your city. That is the only way I can see it working and from what I hear, Verizon has not launched VoLTE in many places yet... unless of course you are a BlackBerry employee with a CDMA Passport... as far as we know, it doesn't exist lol.

Posted via CB10
    I hear what you both are saying, honestly I couldn't wait any longer to get my hands on it. I understand it is a longshot and most likely will not work. If that is the case I may just sell it privately and not return it. Didn't I see a post above that shows the Passport's ability to see Verizon's LTE network? I know the story behind it not working because Verizon won't authorize the IMEI so no need to fill me in on that. I know the Passport can see the network, the rest is technical stuff to see if I can bypass. Again doubtful but why not.

I may have to activate a personal line to keep my Verizon work line separate shortly, if I have to I will be activating the Passport on at&t. I should receive next week and will update.

Posted via Q10
    10-31-14 10:17 AM
    I hear what you both are saying, honestly I couldn't wait any longer to get my hands on it. I understand it is a longshot and most likely will not work. If that is the case I may just sell it privately and not return it. Didn't I see a post above that shows the Passport's ability to see Verizon's LTE network? I know the story behind it not working because Verizon won't authorize the IMEI so no need to fill me in on that. I know the Passport can see the network, the rest is technical stuff to see if I can bypass. Again doubtful but why not.

I may have to activate a personal line to keep my Verizon work line separate shortly, if I have to I will be activating the Passport on at&t. I should receive next week and will update.

Posted via Q10
    Basically they will not activate it. However if you want to try, there is a possibility that you may be able to use an already-activated tablet sim card (i.e. Data only). However you'll only get data. Let us know if you have decide to try it out!

Posted via CB10
    10-31-14 11:04 AM
    Basically they will not activate it. However if you want to try, there is a possibility that you may be able to use an already-activated tablet sim card (i.e. Data only). However you'll only get data. Let us know if you have decide to try it out!

Posted via CB10
    In another thread this has been discussed and it actually doesn't work.

Let's just wait until December!!!
    10-31-14 11:31 AM
    In another thread this has been discussed and it actually doesn't work.

Let's just wait until December!!!
    If they release/allow it come December won't I already have the device in hand that will work on Verizon's network? From what I understood there is no CDMA variant being made so the one I buy now is the same one that is going to be allowed on Verizon's network come December?

I will post updates when I have them.

Posted via Q10
    10-31-14 12:00 PM
    I'm getting tired of reading posts like this.... Verizon has already prepared the roll out of VoLTE, however, it only works on a specific number of devices thus far: the Samsung Galaxy S5, LG G2 the iPhone 6/6+ and most recently the Droid Turbo.
    The just released Droid Turbo does not have Advanced Calling and will have to wait til December. Strange since Droid is a Verizon only brand and it would seem they'd move heaven and earth to get it working on launch.
    10-31-14 12:24 PM
    If they release/allow it come December won't I already have the device in hand that will work on Verizon's network? From what I understood there is no CDMA variant being made so the one I buy now is the same one that is going to be allowed on Verizon's network come December?

I will post updates when I have them.

Posted via Q10
    I was actually responding to this:

However if you want to try, there is a possibility that you may be able to use an already-activated tablet sim card (i.e. Data only). However you'll only get data. Let us know if you have decide to try it out!

Posted via CB10
    Which was discussed in another thread on here, and it turns out that taking an already activate sim and inserting it into the Passport doesn't work on VZW.
    10-31-14 01:42 PM
    The just released Droid Turbo does not have Advanced Calling and will have to wait til December. Strange since Droid is a Verizon only brand and it would seem they'd move heaven and earth to get it working on launch.
    Also taken from your same link:

As a quick heads up, we wanted to make sure the new DROID Turbo owners in the building were aware of a feature that isn’t currently available on their device, but will be by the end of the year – simultaneous voice and data. We aren’t sure why the device isn’t capable of simultaneous voice and data out of the box, but Verizon has confirmed to us that Advanced Calling 1.0 (which is their version of VoLTE) is required for it to work. Verizon has also confirmed to us that Advanced Calling 1.0 will arrive by the end of the year.
    Just because it isn't activate does not mean that the Droid Turbo doesn't already have the hardware in place for it to work. As I mentioned, VZW needs to enable/activate this for it to work, which in that link and quote above states that "Verizon has confirmed that it will arrive by the end of the year."

I am confident that VZW will release the Passport when it releases the Classic as both will work on their VoLTE network.

Could someone please /thread?
    10-31-14 01:44 PM
    Also taken from your same link:

Next time, read your link before posting stuff...

Just because it isn't activate does not mean that the Droid Turbo doesn't already have the hardware in place for it to work. As I mentioned, VZW needs to enable/activate this for it to work, which in that link and quote above says that "Verizon has confirmed that it will arrive by the end of the year."

I am confident that VZW will release the Passport when it releases the Classic as both will work on their VoLTE network.

Could someone please /thread?
    Nowhere did I state that it doesn't have the hardware. I stated that you are incorrect in stating "only works on a specific number of devices thus far: the Samsung Galaxy S5, LG G2 the iPhone 6/6+ and most recently the Droid Turbo." and I was correct. It doesn't work now but will in December when Advanced Calling is activated and more devices beside the Droid Turbo are activated. Perhaps you should read people's post before YOU post stuff.
    10-31-14 01:54 PM
    Yeah we have a few threads. Basically if you put an already activated SIM into the Passport, on Verizon, it will not work. Not even Data. Yes this is illegal because of the rules surrounding band 13... But who is going to bother with a class action law suit?

Basically we are stuck. Also you can forget about "wait till December" for any kind of Verizon announcement. The freaking AT&T exclusive agreement has not even started yet.
    11-02-14 08:17 AM
    Basically we are stuck. Also you can forget about "wait till December" for any kind of Verizon announcement. The freaking AT&T exclusive agreement has not even started yet.
    I couldn't find any website stating an exact date for when the ATT agreement was supposed to begin, so if you can please link that, it would definitely back up your post that we should "forget about it." (please don't link me to those rumored dates)

Also seeing VZW recently begin re-stocking the Z30 out of the blue makes me confident that VZW will carry the PP when the Classic launches in December.

If you have some time, I suggest you read these two links however:

ATT Rolls out Update

And from the second link:

We don't yet know when the Passport will come to AT&T, but we've been promised that the USA is one of 30 nations that will see Passport sales by the end of 2014.
    ATT Exclusive Agreement
    11-02-14 08:29 AM
    I sure am glad I found u'r post (re:Verizon Begging Back),,,,I now have a Samsung S4 mini and it just doesn't cut it, It's slow, and does what it wants to. I have had 4 BB phones in the past and found they are reliable, I have been trying to go back to the Z30 but was told they retired it, that hurt me bad. I decided I would wait for the Passport but was told in the stores and by phone support VZW wasn't sure they were going to carry it. I was thinking OMG, is BB really going down the tubes, what kind of phone do I get now, not an iPhone (YUK). After reading your thread I went to Verizon site and WOLLA,,,the Z30 is back, I'm a happy camper again,,may wait till Dec. to see if they are getting the Passport in my area of Southern ILL.-------Thanks for the info.
    11-02-14 08:54 AM
31 12