I'm with t mobile on an unlocked passport and the reps at my local store are really interested in my phone and actually want to play with it and understand it.

Went to my local att store and this guy's story is kind of what I encountered... kind of sad. I might have bought one through att instead I went the other route.

Posted via CB10
    05-01-15 05:48 AM
    You didn't fill out your profile much, so I don't know where you live. I do this sort of stuff for a living and often help out my clients. I would be willing to help you out over BBM and phone and email in addition to the fine CrackBerry participants.

If you live close by, I would also meet up and help you in person if necessary.
    BluePumpkinBerry likes this.
    05-01-15 05:59 AM
    I am the O.P.

Wow, thanks to almost everyone! The encouragement, tips, ideas and advice were all great and appreciated. I don't feel as hesitant now. I was really discouraged after my Tuesday AT&T outing and all day yesterday. I didn't even tell the stories about visiting the same store about a month ago to hope to see a demo (same store, 2 different workers), about the visit to the NYC store where I actually saw the demo and then Tuesday's outing talking to the 2 workers about different plan options. I got to the point I thought "why bother?"

I actually do have to go back the AT&T store today to meet with their Business Representative to talk about plan options. What else makes this a hard transition for me is that this will be a business plan with a ton of devices coming over from Verizon. Some devices are out of contract while some will be out of contract in June, October and a couple next February. So if I am going to pay an early termination fee or transfer a few over at a time, I need to make sure switching carriers will give me everything I need. So it isn't as if I can try the PP and AT&T and then go back to Verizon with the same phone numbers (I think....)

I do have a couple questions/comments:

*Will my contacts not be transferred for me to my new PP? I am not about to type everyone back in.
    *Thanks to the poster recommending I sign up for BB ID now, prior to getting the phone!
    *I needed to hear how mothers/grandmothers were able to learn this device without too many issues - seriously, my grandmother can use a phone better than me, so it made me feel better. LOL
    *Ah, I did not realize the workers were on commission and got paid higher/lower depending on device. I was truly baffled as to why they would even care as to what phone I wanted and kept trying to talk me out of it. It just never occurred to me.
    *Thank you, I didn't realize there was a dedicated BB Support line. What is the phone number?

ANSWERS TO QUESTIONS TO ME:

*I live in Arizona (USA)
    *My biggest fear is setting it up. I don't know how to add an email account (it was always done for me). If it were just login/password needed I could do it. But they ask for SSID, port, address, etc and I don't even know what that means. I also don't use apps (frankly because I don't know how). The apps I do have were put on for me (iPolis, Thermostat, PocketCloud, VPN, basically apps for work reasons). I was reading about 'side loading" and just have no clue how to go about that. There are apps my friends have that I would like.
    *I know I can Google some questions, but, and this is hard to explain, sometimes I don't even know what my question is! I have had to Google a bunch of answers on other threads since I don't know the lingo or acronyms. I have learned a lot!
    *I fear I will get the phone home and just not know where to start or what to do. I read the manual online and it said something about the nanoSIM I have to install and I don't have one. And I don't know why I need it. Now does it make sense how little I know? Really, every time I got a new device or had a problem, I.T. or friends/family have just taken care of it for me. Even on my computer, I.T. can just log in remotely and fix it. They even installed a new printer at my house while they were across town. All I had to do was plug it in.
    *I have watched a ton of the videos on BB.com - helpful
    *I can get the PP elsewhere like a poster said - is it the same phone except 90 degree edges? I didn't understand what he/she meant saying I would get updates faster? I really really do want a brightly colored one.
    *When I got home Tuesday after my outing, I did call the AT&T main number and went thru a menu system for quite awhile before I just hung up. I was going to complain about my experience. I think I need more of a direct number for non-customers. I will send a copy of this to BB direct. Good advice.

Again, thanks to all and their support. I mainly just posted to vent but got good encouragement. I thought I might get more ridicule. After I pick the business plan, I will order the phone (maybe from non-AT&T site?) and get started. I am actually excited. I have had my old Verizon qwerty keyboard for 4 years and it is about dead.

Off to meet the Business Rep....

Hey, I actually switched from a long time Verizon user to the Passport and AT&T when it first launched. Huge decision as I said goodbye to unlimited data. Not sure if you went over the pros and cons of both the original and AT&T version of the Passport. The original, I believe, is currently on sale in black, white, and red. Depending on your plan, if you bring your own device AT&T will credit you $15/$25 per month for bringing your own device as well as the extra monthly rollover data that they are doing each month.

As for your experience; absolutely ridiculous. You seem to have done your research and the Passport is a great device. I wouldn't buy anything else out there right now. I have a very long post regarding my mother actually just getting the AT&T version. Was very easy and AT&T was actually helpful. Me being me, I went into the store and asked that they change the device on my mom's plan and give me a nano-sim and not to touch the device, just open the box in front of me so I know it's in there. Told them I'd set it up myself.

As for the setup, you will get quick answers for any questions or issues you come across here. It is actually a great OS. Have my mother on a Passport, upgraded from iPhone 5S/Z10, my father and sister on Z30s and they all know nothing about tech. They love the OS. I did set my mom's phone up, but you will get all of the help you need here.

If you don't have a BlackBerry ID you will need one when you first setup/sign on to the device. After you go through the setup and the tutorial there is a very simple app called "device switch". You can use this to transfer contact, calendar, pictures, videos, etc. You are able to choose what you do and do not want to transfer. You would download the app on both phones and use over the same WiFi network. Very easy. If you have issues here, there are other options as well.

What I did so I did not have to deal with the worst idiots of the idiotic salespeople is go on AT&T's website and find the Passport (it is one of their top reviewed devices), then click on "check in store availability". I found multiple stores around me with stock. They will all be corporate stores. Third party "fake" AT&T stores won't have the Passport and will tell you BlackBerry is bankrupt to try to get you onto a 6/S6. Call the stores listed and ask if they have the Passport in stock as it is showing on the AT&T website and also if they have a display model. From there I'd just get the phone the way I did.

You can ask for the Passport and a nano-sim and to set it up yourself. They said the nano-sim was good for 10 days. What I did for my mother was turn on the new Passport, put in her BlackBerry ID, connect to WiFi, then used a combination of the device switch app and BlackBerry Link to setup the phone. Now that the phone was completely setup, it was still not active until I put the nano-sim in and called the automated number. This will allow you however much time you need to setup the Passport exactly how you want it as well as getting some questions answered here if needed while your old phone is still working as usual. When ready activate the Passport and pretty soon you won't turn back. It's a very innovative device. My mom has said she won't know what she is going to do if BlackBerry doesn't release a Passport 2 lol.

You can also call AT&T and either find a store through them or just order directly and you will be sent the device and a nano-sim next day. As I wrote, the good thing for you is being able to completely setup the device however you want it even if it takes a few days prior to activating the Passport and deactivating your old device. The store I went to had both the Passport and Classic as demo models and talked a bit to the sales rep and he had said they have been selling a decent amount of Classics free on contact and about a Passport a week. Very pleasant experience, but again I looked them up to make sure they had stock and called before going in. There is no words for your experience. Stick with a company store that has stock and a demo.

All of us here will gladly help you through setting up and beyond. If you have spent two months researching, I think it's time to start enjoying the device. I would just add, again, the decision to go with the AT&T version or the original. Otherwise, find a store with stock online and get it or order over the phone and set it all up prior to deactivating your old device and you should be good to go.

I can't emphasize how great everyone here has been when I've had questions when I first started using BB10 a few years ago. Funny, now I'm helping and answering questions for others. You've gotten a bunch of replies, but all in all if this is the device you want... don't let ignorant reps change your mind. Sorry about your experience at AT&T. I wouldn't let that deter you from getting the device though! Try a store with the Passport on demo or just order over the phone if you are comfortable with that. :-)

Posted via CB10
    05-01-15 06:48 AM
    Hi All,

A little background on me - I have zero smarts when it comes to technology. I have always had a Verizon Android phone/tab and have played around with my work iPhone (calls and texts only). My work I.T. or Verizon have always set up my devices and if I had an issue, either I.T., Verizon or my friends/family have been able to help.

However, I want a PKB and have done tons of research and really want the PP! I kept asking my local stores if they had a demo phone and their answers were always weird and standoff-ish. I finally was able to see a PP while on vacation 2 weeks ago and now I really want one.

During my research period (about 2 months), I would ask friends, family and co-workers if any of them have/have had a BB. I was amazed at the snickering and sarcastic remarks I received and didn't understand the ridicule. (i.e. "God, no!"; "LOL, why would I own that?!?"; "uh, no, this is 2015") Then I read here on the forums some funny stories about others' reactions to owning a BB. I still just don't understand the ridicule. It isn't as if I am trying to talk others into getting rid of their beloved phone, I was just merely asking if they have ever had one.

My only hesitation in switching to BB is that since I am technologically ignorant, I rely on others help in setting up and fixing issues and my support group is not familiar with BB at all. I know once it is set up and I play around, I will be OK, I am just concerned about the original set-up and the beginning questions I will have (seriously - I don't understand anything! I have read forum help and have to look up half of the words in the reply).

I thought I will be OK as long as AT&T will help me set it up and be there for any questions (Verizon always was helpful when I stopped in or called with a problem.)

Then, yesterday happened. I showed up at AT&T and there were 2 workers talking - no customers in the store. They saw me, smiled, walked towards me and asked how they could help. I said "I wanted to get the BB PP". I kid you not, they both stopped walking towards me and actually took a step backwards! If I could have videoed it, I would have because it was so ridiculous, like I scared them. The manager then asked if I was a BB fan. I said I had never owned one before, but think I will become a PP fan. He then said "well, it is really hard to use". I responded "I keep hearing their OS is actually superior and easier to use in the long run". He then said "well, it is really hard to learn" (he had no clue that was my concern) and I said "Yes, I was hoping I would get help in setting it up and getting any questions answered by coming in here" He said "we don't know anything about BB". I looked at him dumbfounded and said "nothing? You carry the phone and won't be able to help me set it up?" He responded "not really. We focus on android and apple. Why don't you get the Samsung Galaxy 6". I said "because I want the PP". He asked "But....why....?" I said "what difference does it make? Is there an issue with that phone that you know about? Why I shouldn't get it?" And he actually said "I don't know if there is an issue as I don't know much about BB". I asked if there was anyone else in their store or even locally that does know something about BB that could help me. He looked at his worker and they shook their head and said "no, but we could maybe google some of your questions." I just stood there for a few seconds and we all stared at each other. He asked if I ever tried the iPhone and I said I had one and didn't care for it. I really wanted a PKB. He said "well, I know the PP is expensive". I was getting pissed at this point. I said that I knew the price point. I then asked how far out an order would be to receive the phone and he said "like 3 months". I looked at him and said I know that isn't true. He said he didn't even know if it was out yet. I told him it was out and was out for several months. He said he didn't think it was. I told him he was wrong. He then said again that it was very expensive, "like 700 bucks" and the reason they don't have a demo is that they aren't going to put a 700 dollar phone on the floor for people to play with. None of the stores would. He advised me that I should wait until it comes out and I can see the demo. I told him I just saw a demo in 2 stores 2 weeks ago (NYC). He actually asked if I was sure it was the Passport. I had to ask him FOUR more times how long it would be to receive the phone upon order. (3 business days....NOT 3 months! and he was surprised it actually was already released).

OKAY - so after that insane meeting, I am scared to get this phone because I won't even get support from the carrier! I called 2 other local AT&T stores and they said there was no one proficient in BB. Why, oh why does AT&T not give them even a little BB training? And why, oh why did they try their hardest to talk me out of what I wanted? I don't mind advice and recommendations, but this was flat out disagreeing with me. I appreciate the fact they told me they would be of no help whatsoever to me, but why is that the case?

I swear I am getting tempted to go on Craigslist and post that I want to meet for a Blackberry Lesson. But I fear it will be read wrong and I will be killed. This is so discouraging to me.

(oops, didn't realize post was so long!)
    That manager is ********(dumb...). Like no offence but if I was selling phones I would make it a priority to always spend time at home doing research on all of the phones my store sells. It's just common sense I can't believe that actually happened. You should complain to head office on the lack of professionalism
    05-01-15 12:08 PM
    That manager is ********(dumb...). Like no offence but if I was selling phones I would make it a priority to always spend time at home doing research on all of the phones my store sells. It's just common sense I can't believe that actually happened. You should complain to head office on the lack of professionalism
    With hopes of achieving what, exactly?
    05-01-15 12:25 PM
    If this is true it is outright shocking to me. I will be moving to the USA soon and this is another reason for me to give my business to Verizon instead of ATT. I don't need any support as I am a tech person but I do expect a certain degree of customer service and at least an acceptable availability.

What also comes to my mind when I read this is the question why BlackBerry doesn't address those problems. As a manufacturer they should encourage sales by holding events in stores, actively train sales personnel, bring BlackBerry back on stage again. Why are they so inactive when it comes to polishing their image?

As an IT guy and former owner of several Android and iOS phones I can really tell that BB10 is a great platform. It is intuitive, fast, stable, yes it lacks apps and certain features but BlackBerry makes great phones in general, so it's not that I could understand that someone doesn't want to sell them. So, apparently, some of those clerks just don't know anything about BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    05-01-15 02:57 PM
    I will be moving to the USA soon and this is another reason for me to give my business to Verizon instead of ATT.
    Lol, I would not do that. Go with T-Mobile, best customer service hands down, and I've been with them all.
    05-01-15 03:07 PM
    Lol, I would not do that. Go with T-Mobile, best customer service hands down, and I've been with them all.
    Well I've heard that VZW has actually very good customer service. Also coverage is very important to me. A friend of mine was with T-Mobile, and he wasn't all too happy with them. Also, weren't there some disputes between BlackBerry and TMO recently?

Posted via CB10
    05-01-15 03:18 PM
    Well I've heard that VZW has actually very good customer service. Also coverage is very important to me. A friend of mine was with T-Mobile, and he wasn't all too happy with them. Also, weren't there some disputes between BlackBerry and TMO recently?

Posted via CB10
    The Verizon coverage myth is still propagated intensely these days. No matter where you are, some carriers will be better than others. A friend of yours was with T-Mobile, whoopty doo; doesn't mean you wont have good service. I'd test drive T-Mobile's network, you can do so for free, they'll send you a SIM and even an iPhone if you don't have a GSM phone to test it out on.

Whatever disputes are happening at the corporate level isn't going to affect how your device works on the network. Passport works great on T-Mo. Fastest data speeds hands down. My Aunt and Uncle are on Verizon and I ran a speed test. 12 Mbps down for them, 22 Mbps for me in same area on T-Mo. And, no contract!
    05-01-15 03:27 PM
    I'll take a look at it. Thanks for the insight.

Posted via CB10
    05-01-15 03:36 PM
    With hopes of achieving what, exactly?
    Yeah... I didn't think that through
    05-01-15 04:19 PM
    Depending on where you live and travel, different carriers have better coverage. In my area, Verizon is far superior and AT&T is a good second. T-Mobile and Sprint are cheaper, but the coverage is much worse.
    05-01-15 11:58 PM
    Buy from amazon and get great support.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.1.2558
    Really? Amazon helps with BlackBerry phones & sets up accounts and helps with side-loading?

They do have a great return policy, but you ever try to speak to a live person?

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by jhanks64; 05-02-15 at 02:15 PM.
    05-02-15 12:04 AM
    Depending on where you live and travel, different carriers have better coverage. In my area, Verizon is far superior and AT&T is a good second. T-Mobile and Sprint are cheaper, but the coverage is much worse.
    Basically the Midwest for the moment. Travel can be about anywhere.

Posted via CB10
    05-02-15 04:29 AM
    Basically the Midwest for the moment. Travel can be about anywhere.

Posted via CB10
    Personally I use Verizon as my Primary phone and use Consumer Cellular (AT&T MVNO) as my secondary phone, so I can use a Passport. Because of the topology of the earth, there are a few places that Verizon doesn't work in my area of Northwest Washington. There are FAR more areas that Sprint, T-Mobile and AT&T suck.

For me, AT&T usually works in the areas that VZW doesn't, so I have two phones.

I find it interesting that people fall for the marketing speak of the cheaper carriers, but then complain when they don't have service. I've noticed lots of people complain about T-Mobile WiFi calling issues - that's because the coverage sucks so bad, they require WiFi Calling.
    05-02-15 02:21 PM
    Personally I use Verizon as my Primary phone and use Consumer Cellular (AT&T MVNO) as my secondary phone, so I can use a Passport. Because of the topology of the earth, there are a few places that Verizon doesn't work in my area of Northwest Washington. There are FAR more areas that Sprint, T-Mobile and AT&T suck.

For me, AT&T usually works in the areas that VZW doesn't, so I have two phones.

I find it interesting that people fall for the marketing speak of the cheaper carriers, but then complain when they don't have service. I've noticed lots of people complain about T-Mobile WiFi calling issues - that's because the coverage sucks so bad, they require WiFi Calling.
    Thanks for the overview. Yeah I am still tending to go with VZW. Do you run a Classic on VZW? How are they with availability etc? I am not sure if I'll get the Classic yet, an alternative would be a high end Droid, however, the Classic is tempting me, I loved the Q10.

Thanks for the advice, 2BF6AAF0 anytime concerning us wireless networks. I'm always interested as I'm still evaluating.

Posted via CB10
    05-02-15 04:44 PM
    Thanks for the overview. Yeah I am still tending to go with VZW. Do you run a Classic on VZW? How are they with availability etc? I am not sure if I'll get the Classic yet, an alternative would be a high end Droid, however, the Classic is tempting me, I loved the Q10.

Thanks for the advice, 2BF6AAF0 anytime concerning us wireless networks. I'm always interested as I'm still evaluating.

Posted via CB10
    Lol. Just waiting for one person to confirm your preconceived notion. Have fun on Verizon.
    05-02-15 05:03 PM
    Yes, I am using a Classic on VZW

Not sure what you mean by availability. Do you mean how easy is it to buy one?

Probably good to call ahead or order it from Amazon. I called ahead to my local store, walked in and bought it with cash (the night before they were available) because I don't want to be on contract and would rather have the $25 per month off my bill.

It was a little bit of a pain because I wanted to keep using my Z30 and prep the Classic: load the current OS leak, etc. They HAVE to assign it to a number, but then could switch it back to my Z30 before I left. Once I was ready to do the switch a few days later, I just moved my SD Card and SIM card after trimming it down and was fine.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by jhanks64; 05-03-15 at 02:39 AM.
    05-02-15 05:04 PM
    Lol. Just waiting for one person to confirm your preconceived notion. Have fun on Verizon.
    I'm guessing you don't travel around the country or out of heavily populated areas much. If you did, you would find that Verizon has far superior coverage. I do think that AT&T is faster, but faster doesn't help when there is no signal.
    05-03-15 02:42 AM
    Actually not. You were the first person to recommend T-Mobile, so I said I will take a look at it and I will. However, VZW is leading by points counted the recommendations received by US customers. Indeed travel is important for me, so that might be something to consider too.

Posted via CB10
    05-03-15 05:08 AM
    Protip: Buy an unlocked one over @ ebay or something.

You dont wanna be waiting months for software updates

Posted from q10, excuse me for not having any typos.
    05-03-15 05:23 AM
    I would do that but I would have to buy a CDMA version right? Also I am waiting for the white or bronze version so I hope they will have it over at VZW.

Posted via CB10
    05-03-15 06:52 AM
    Wow, I wish I lived near you pro people. I live in Arizona, so if any of you travel this way, I will wait to get my phone! A few have offered video help - what is that?

RL Turn 77 - Thank you or the in depth directions. I really do want to try doing it all myself and set it up first before I switch over - That sounds like the best way and I didn't know that was even possible. I didn't understand half of what you said, so I am going to print it out and Wikipedia it all (hey, it is my only hope...). I have been looking into whether I want the original or AT&T version and am 99% sure I know what I will do.

Ugh, the more research I do on switching over (carriers and operating systems), the more I realize just how little I know about the whole phone world.

On a side note, I met with the business Rep last week at AT&T to talk business plans and he was much better than the 2 workers I met a few days prior. Although he did say BB was on its way out, which is why they didn't have demo phones or much support. He said he had a BB years ago and loved it but when he started working for AT&T he switched to Android. He knew nothing about the PP and had never seen it. At least he didn't try to talk me into a phone I didn't want.

Another note - why do a few people in this thread ask if my experience is true? I know there is lying on dating websites, but on a help forum? Does that happen a lot on here? I am new to this forum.

Thanks again to all. I live in ARIZONA, if any of you know of a good I.T. person to help me out this way.
    05-03-15 10:17 AM
    OP, it seems like you are making this way more intimidating for yourself than it actually is, probably just because you've never done it before. It's really not that complicated. Once you have done it once you'll probably say "Oh, that wasn't so bad."

The basics would be:

Order the phone
    Gather your account and password info for your email accounts
    Receive the phone - ask your carrier for a Nano SIM (get them to add it to your account)
    Put the SIM in the phone (this is easy, it only fits in one place)
    Power on, wait, the phone will walk you through initial setup (the instructions are very basic and user friendly)
    Watch the on the phone tutorials. After this, come here with any setup questions.

I've actually had to instruct salesmen at carrier stores on BB10 setup when I went with my sister and brother in law to get theirs. After trying to talk my sister out of the Z30 and telling her all the things it couldn't do, I finally had him hand me the phone and walked him through a proper device switch. When I left the store he thanked me and remarked that he had no idea the phone could do that and it was much easier than he thought it would be.

Posted via CB10
    05-03-15 10:38 AM
    I finally had him hand me the phone and walked him through a proper device switch. When I left the store he thanked me and remarked that he had no idea the phone could do that and it was much easier than he thought it would be.
    That looks bad on BlackBerry, really.
    05-03-15 10:59 AM
80 1234