In Europe WA is used by really many people!

Posted via CB10
    04-15-18 04:43 PM
    Simple reason is that here in North America we get SMS etc with our data plans and nearly everyone here uses text only. In other parts of the world that is an extra expense for people. So they look to a free alternative and it just happens that WA beat all the other messengers to the punch.
    I don't think that it is about free or expensive SMS.
    SMS is text only and very archaic (though, I like to send SMS sometimes just to make use of my excellent keyboard ). Any cloud-based messenger beats SMS in terms of versatility. I myself prefer Telegram.

Posted via BlackBerry Passport Silver Edition
    Kelvin Lau2 likes this.
    04-16-18 09:01 AM
    I don't think that it is about free or expensive SMS.
    SMS is text only and very archaic (though, I like to send SMS sometimes just to make use of my excellent keyboard ). Any cloud-based messenger beats SMS in terms of versatility. I myself prefer Telegram.

Don't get me wrong, messenger apps definitely have many advantages and offer lots of extras but the fact is, in North America SMS/MMS still is king. Who knows, that may change over time. It all started when carriers used text message allotment as a means to differentiate their service over their competitors. They would offer 100 free texts with a certain data plan for example and then gradually over time with competition thousands free etc. So, consequently, now we have texting with no cost penalty over messaging apps AND all you need is the phone number. You don't have to worry about everyone having to download and install the same messaging network. As for features, text messages can be sent to a group and photos and other media can be sent via Multimedia Messaging Service an extension to the "standard" plain text SMS. Not as good as messaging apps for features but still good enough for most people.

I think that it has been an evolution in messaging because, if I'm not mistaken, carriers in Europe and beyond are now beginning to offer free texts etc with data plans, but messaging apps have taken over before this occurred. Once ingrained, the apps are hard to let go simply because there is no need to and people like the features.

p.s. I agree that Telegram is a fine messenging service and I've used it but none of my contacts here in Canada have any app so we remain texting.
    04-16-18 09:37 AM
    Don't get me wrong, messenger apps definitely have many advantages and offer lots of extras but the fact is, in North America SMS/MMS still is king. Who knows, that may change over time. It all started when carriers used text message allotment as a means to differentiate their service over their competitors. They would offer 100 free texts with a certain data plan for example and then gradually over time with competition thousands free etc. So, consequently, now we have texting with no cost penalty over messaging apps AND all you need is the phone number. You don't have to worry about everyone having to download and install the same messaging network. As for features, text messages can be sent to a group and photos and other media can be sent via Multimedia Messaging Service an extension to the "standard" plain text SMS. Not as good as messaging apps for features but still good enough for most people.

I think that it has been an evolution in messaging because, if I'm not mistaken, carriers in Europe and beyond are now beginning to offer free texts etc with data plans, but messaging apps have taken over before this occurred. Once ingrained, the apps are hard to let go simply because there is no need to and people like the features.

p.s. I agree that Telegram is a fine messenging service and I've used it but none of my contacts here in Canada have any app so we remain texting.
    I guess that I need to apply for migration to Canada

04-16-18 11:41 AM
    Everyone I know use Whatsapp.... The app's not appealing at all... Just less expensive to chat with people in other countries.

Posted via CB10
    peregrineay likes this.
    04-16-18 11:57 AM
    You can talk with friends around the globe for FREE with WA, so that's why is popular in many countries.

Posted via CB10
    peregrineay and Kelvin Lau2 like this.
    04-16-18 03:20 PM
    Yes, Whatsapp is common for people who know and communicate with others outside their own country. Free voice notes and calling. In non-North-America/Europe, it competes with Wechat, Line, Viber, and even Kik and BBM in some places.
    Kelvin Lau2 likes this.
    04-16-18 04:02 PM
    I am thinking to delete whatsapp (downloaded directly from official website). What else do I need to delete other than whatsapp app itself? I also have whatsfix app and android folders all over SD card.

04-17-18 09:05 AM
    Using whatsapp on passport SE is unbearable, phone gets super hot specially using whatsapp call or video call it gets struck in between and gets super hot on top right corner.

Posted via CB10
    Kelvin Lau2 likes this.
    04-17-18 10:25 AM
  10. tegar ramadhanu kariadinata's Avatar
    Yes I do

Posted via CB10
    04-20-18 07:46 AM
    My passport gets very hot on top right corner while using whatsapp and while browsing Web pages and if I try to download videos through whatsapp it will close.

Posted via CB10
    It seems not only you have this problems, same as me. Heating
    04-20-18 09:42 PM
    Are there any downside of GBWhatapps on BB10 passport? Suggestion would be good...thanks guy

BOOMessaging from My Red Blackberry Passport
    04-22-18 11:18 AM
    One thing that I don't like about the android version is that I don't get the messages and notifications as the original (BB version)
    04-22-18 10:36 PM
    Why is whatsapp so popular? It seems to be a big thing in third world countries for the most part. I don't know anyone here in ontario that even has whatsapp. In fact I know more bbm users.

Posted via CB10
    I live in TO and I know more people that use WA than BBM. And I don't have any contacts outside of North America.
    04-22-18 10:44 PM
    Why do u need sd card ?
    04-25-18 08:53 PM
    Because only with an SD card you will be able to share photos and videos. All what those WhatsApp fixer are doing is, that they create a link on the root filesystem to you SD filesystem. You can achieve the same by running the commands in the shell.

Posted via CB10
    04-26-18 11:55 AM
    Try a modded whatsapp like GBWhatsapp or Ado2Sadam whatsapp plus, I find that GBWhatsapp works for me better than normal whatsapp.

Posted via CB10
    Exactly. Same here. Am using what's app plus and GB on my passport. Works better than android. And phone doesn't get warm like the way when we use android version. And also battery consumption is less than android one

RichRaja@Awesome Passport
    04-26-18 04:53 PM
42 12