Hi all just wanted to know of anyone else has tried this on the passport and if it works well?, also I would like some to just say if my information is right,

I have a 8gb data allowance and never get close to it and I am wanting to connect my macbook air 11" to the phone as a modem so it will be able to connect to the internet via the phone (signal depending). And use the phones data allowance --- is that right? Please tell me if it isn't. But if it is does it work well and is it a better option then getting a wifi dongle?

Posted via CB10
    07-15-15 11:24 AM
    Use the wifi Hotspot feature on the phone

Posted via CB10
    sloanb likes this.
    07-15-15 11:27 AM
    You can tether to the Passport two ways and they both work well. Providing your provider allows tethering.

One is USB or Bluetooth tethering
    The other is using the Passport as a Hotspot.

They both work well.

"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" from Adam Savage
    07-15-15 11:29 AM
    I've used both Tethering & Hotspot, & prefer the latter as quicker to setup.

Posted on CB10 with my  Passport but previously my  Q10
    07-15-15 12:44 PM
    I've used my Passport extensively for Internet access with a computer and have had no issues with tethering it via USB or using the Mobile Hotspot feature, although I will say that I find the latter more convenient. You can add Mobile Hotspot to your Quick Settings under Settings > Quick Settings, which will allow you to turn the feature on/off as needed without having to open the actual Settings app.
    07-15-15 01:05 PM
    Ok sounds awesome, but am I right in thinking if I connect it either way I will use my data allowance on my contract?, also are there any pros or cons to using hotspot to tethered?

Posted via CB10
    07-15-15 01:22 PM
    Wifi hotspot advantage: easy and quick setup.
    disadvantages... more or less none (battery consumption maybe??)

Yes, you would use your data allowance

Posted via fantastic BlackBerry Passport. Damn, this thing is so awesome, that I am short of words to describe it's awesomenes. Like Majestic As...
    07-15-15 01:43 PM
    Brilliant thank you all for the help !

Posted via CB10
    07-15-15 01:53 PM
    Yes you are right about that.

And just try out what serves you best.
    07-15-15 01:53 PM
    Ok sounds awesome, but am I right in thinking if I connect it either way I will use my data allowance on my contract?, also are there any pros or cons to using hotspot to tethered?

Posted via CB10
    I haven't tried tethering with the Passport. The hotspot feature works well. But, either way, yes, you're using some portion of your data allotment. You're saying you're not connected to wifi, when you do do this. It has to come from somewhere. I actually use wifi for phone data, when I can. Which is much of the time. That leaves a larger cell data bucket, when I need to use it.
    07-15-15 02:31 PM
    I haven't tried tethering with the Passport. The hotspot feature works well. But, either way, yes, you're using some portion of your data allotment. You're saying you're not connected to wifi, when you do do this. It has to come from somewhere. I actually use wifi for phone data, when I can. Which is much of the time. That leaves a larger cell data bucket, when I need to use it.
    Hang on, what I want is to used my phones mobile data from its cellular signal and connect it to my laptop not wifi is that still possible or not? , I just got a bit confused by your answer.

Posted via CB10
    07-15-15 04:10 PM
    Use this feature (Hotspot) all the times and it works quite well!

I even 'network' several PCS via the Hotspot....and as a Wireless router for my camera's wireless transfer adapter.

Posted via CB10
    07-15-15 04:24 PM
    I have T Mobile and use a hotspot - works really well. I never tried tethering, and I am not even sure it is available on that plan. Anyway, I have unlimited data on the phone itself and a 7 GB limit on the phone as a hotspot - they are separate.
    07-15-15 04:30 PM
    Hang on, what I want is to used my phones mobile data from its cellular signal and connect it to my laptop not wifi is that still possible or not? , I just got a bit confused by your answer.

Posted via CB10
    Your phone can act as a WiFi hotspot, or you can connect it physically via USB, or use bluetooth. they all would use your phones data plan.

WiFi from a source other than your phone does not use your data plan.
    07-15-15 04:37 PM
    Your phone can act as a WiFi hotspot, or you can connect it physically via USB, or use bluetooth. they all would use your phones data plan.

WiFi from a source other than your phone does not use your data plan.
    Thank you for clearing that up for me, god I love this passport every little extra thing I find out helps me so much more! Cheers guys

Posted via CB10
    07-15-15 04:56 PM

Posted via CB10
    Your question was if it used your cell data. If your phone isn't connected to wifi for data (and it can't if you're using the hotspot function), then where else would it get data from? It has to use your cell data.

But I was also making a suggestion. In normal phone use, take advantage of opportunities to use wifi instead of cell data. When you use your Passport as a hotspot or modem for your laptop, the laptop isn't set to use mobile friendly versions of the sites. So, it uses more data for the same sites. Be data stingy with your phone by using wifi when you can. That will leave a larger data pool for those times you're feeding your laptop.
    07-16-15 12:24 PM