While I agree with some of what you said in this thread, I don't think phones should be breaking under "regular" use. I sometimes find it silly how fragile modern cell phones have become. I would trade for a device that can perform the same functions as any smartphone but make it thicker so batteries actually last, drops don't kill the phone, and phones don't bend (unless it was designed to).

Posted via CB10
    Sticking your phone in your backside pocket and then bending over or crouching down to ground level to inspect a motor does not constitute "regular" use.

The Passport is a very sturdy and weighty phone, so is the iPhone 6 Plus. Yet the physical profiles of both phones make them vulnerable to bending. Especially with the skinny jeans crowd.

Standard manufacturers warranties do not cover screen breakage under ANY circumstances. It doesn't matter what you or I THINK is regular usage, they set the parameters. It is the responsibility of the device owner to exercise proper care for the device.

Posted via BlackBerry Passport Red Edition
    sulcopete likes this.
    09-24-15 08:41 AM
    It's your own fault for having the screen lift issue and doing nothing about it. You should have had it warrantied when the issue was one they're familiar with. Once a screen is broken there's nothing anyone would do for you, be it BlackBerry or your carrier.

 Posted via CB10 - Passport - 10.3.2.2639 
    09-24-15 08:43 AM
    Having read this thread (which contains some pretty darn good reading) I'd be willing to wager that the "screen lift issue" is nothing more than people putting the phones in their back pockets, or in a similar situation, with the screen facing outward, and then sitting on it or bending over. That way, the cloth would be pulling at the corners of the device, with considerable force, and pulling it away from the glass which might not break since the device itself would be bearing the brunt of the load. And the manufacturer is probably aware of this too....so it wouldn't surprise me if they paid nothing to people complaining of screen lift issues. Just saying, folks....the passport is a very large phone. The larger a phone is, the more leverage is available to do damage in back-pocket situations. If you want to carry a phone in your back pocket, get something small, or better yet, a flip phone. To carry a passport that way is just irresponsible.
    09-24-15 01:22 PM
    Until about a year ago, I didn't know any iPhone owners who _didn't_ have cracked screens. Most of them put the phone in jeans pockets.

Passport SE: All the snooty prestige of a device with a precious metal in the name at less than half the price!
    Yeah no kidding. I can say just about everyone I know who has had or still has an iphone has at least broken the screen at some point or another...

However, both my wife and I have had numerous(and I mean numerous) devices in the last 5 years, not a single screen has broken on either of us. We also haven't owned an iphone for longer then 2 months.

Posted via the BlackBerry Classic
    09-24-15 01:45 PM
    Having read this thread (which contains some pretty darn good reading) I'd be willing to wager that the "screen lift issue" is nothing more than people putting the phones in their back pockets, or in a similar situation, with the screen facing outward, and then sitting on it or bending over. That way, the cloth would be pulling at the corners of the device, with considerable force, and pulling it away from the glass which might not break since the device itself would be bearing the brunt of the load. And the manufacturer is probably aware of this too....so it wouldn't surprise me if they paid nothing to people complaining of screen lift issues. Just saying, folks....the passport is a very large phone. The larger a phone is, the more leverage is available to do damage in back-pocket situations. If you want to carry a phone in your back pocket, get something small, or better yet, a flip phone. To carry a passport that way is just irresponsible.
    You hit the nail on the head. I also believe now that there never was a screen lifting issue. The problem is that no one ever admits that they are wrong. Case in point, our illustrious OP the Recycler, who freely admitted that he overtorqued the phone in his pocket yet wants to blame his carrier and Blackberry for his phone breaking. I wonder how many others who complained about screen separation and breakage were actually responsible for their own damage.

09-24-15 02:28 PM

No phone be it a square slab or common rectangle should be breaking while in the backpocket.
    Ridiculous!

So if I fall off a 2 story house and land on my **** with my phone In the backpocket it shouldn't break?

What if I jump out of a plane, it shouldn't break?

Reallllly interested to see what phone you have that won't break.

Posted via CB10
    09-24-15 03:06 PM
    Bought the xperia z1 compact when it cam out last year. It was very a very expensive phone (around 550 euros).
    After 2 months, the screen broke by itself in my pocket. It didn t fell, the glass just broke from inside and the phone was unusable.

Sony said it fell on the floor and wouldn t do anything. Saw on some forums that it happened to other people too.

-Never Sony again-
    09-24-15 03:55 PM
    Unless you buy an special circumstances or extended warranty that covers screen damage, you will not be covered. As a service provider myself, I have not seen a standard mfg. warranty that covers broken screens.

Nobody chose you or paid you to be a "brand ambassador". If BlackBerry usage seniority makes you special, then I am more special than you cause I have been using BlackBerry since the RIM 850, their first device...since 1999. I, however, am just a business customer...not a special person like you believe yourself to be. As long as their products fill the need, I stay with them. When they and their products fail to be useful any longer, I'll go elsewhere. And I won't have to write a sanctimonious speech like yours upon departure.

All the issues you mentioned have been discussed and inspire of what appears to be bad service, people are still getting their devices serviced and if necessary, replaced by Blackberry. Neither the carrier nor BlackBerry will warrant your phone cause the screen is broken and your pissed off about. Admit it. You are the second person today that has written a thread about a broken Passport screen and both of you admit to carelessly pocketing the phone and then bending over and having the screens crack.

A phone with a format like the Passport should not be kept in pants pockets, especially if you're bending over frequently in angles that will put stress on the device.

My Passport is either in my dinner jacket pocket, blazer pocket or hoodie pocket. I never keep the device in slacks or jeans. That's a recipe for disaster.

If you gotta take a walk from BlackBerry, then by all means do so. But don't fault your carrier or BlackBerry for the damage you caused to your device. Even with Apple, unless you have the extra AppleCare, broken screens are not covered. I know...I'm an Apple ASC.

Blackberry service needs an overhaul...absolutely. But to put it across like nobody gets any help is wrong.

From what I read in his post, the screen broke while in his pocket and he was bending over. That in itself might not lead me to blame Blackberry, but we have already heard many others talkng about screen lift and build issues.

Furthermore, Apple have shops,and you can at least go in to a shop and vent and negotiate and get some degree of interaction and response, even if you dont like the response, but to get nothing is pretty bad.
    09-24-15 05:06 PM
    From what I read in his post, the screen broke while in his pocket and he was bending over. That in itself might not lead me to blame Blackberry, but we have already heard many others talkng about screen lift and build issues.

Furthermore, Apple have shops,and you can at least go in to a shop and vent and negotiate and get some degree of interaction and response, even if you dont like the response, but to get nothing is pretty bad.
    The OP's comments and those of his supporters give the appearance that no one ever gets any level of service from BlackBerry. This is simply not true. Many people have had their units serviced or replaced by Blackberry. Even my brother had his faulty Classic promptly replaced. People do get help from BB, Their service may need work, but help is available.

When you decide to stick your phone in your backside pocket, bend over and crack your phone however...don't expect any warranty to help you unless you bought special coverage.
    FCSC likes this.
    09-24-15 05:42 PM
    Hey everyone,

Just chill. Didn't you hear, blackberry is putting out an android phone called the Priv and that will address all those pesky ecosystem issues.

Don't worry about customer service or thing like that that are turning away even loyal customers. It's ANDROID and it's got an app for that. Wait that was iOS. Well whatever. APPS!!!

That's 3 exclamations to emphasize the importance.

KAM

Posted via CB10
    09-24-15 07:36 PM
    And yeah...I do. Apple cares about it image as a product/provider. Samsung has consistent, improving product and care quality.

Blackberry? Sales metrics only. Got better service from Nokia when I was in effing China. They tried.

This passivity is what pisses me off the most. Absolutely no response...nothing.
    Nokia has crap service. My mum had a Lumia 830 a few years ago and her screen got scratched and unusable in the first few days because she had received a defective unit, or so she was told. But Nokia wanted her to pay 200 euros to replace the screen even though they admitted it was not her fault. Yeah, great service...

Posted via CB10
    09-25-15 01:06 AM
    The OP's comments and those of his supporters give the appearance that no one ever gets any level of service from BlackBerry. This is simply not true. Many people have had their units serviced or replaced by Blackberry. Even my brother had his faulty Classic promptly replaced. People do get help from BB, Their service may need work, but help is available.

When you decide to stick your phone in your backside pocket, bend over and crack your phone however...don't expect any warranty to help you unless you bought special coverage.
    I am going to have to disagree. There are things I dont expect from a phone - I dont expect it to withstand being dropped or sat on or driven over - but I think any phone should be able to withstand normal movement, eapecially at the price these devices cost.
    09-25-15 01:13 AM
    While I agree with some of what you said in this thread, I don't think phones should be breaking under "regular" use. I sometimes find it silly how fragile modern cell phones have become. I would trade for a device that can perform the same functions as any smartphone but make it thicker so batteries actually last, drops don't kill the phone, and phones don't bend (unless it was designed to).

Posted via CB10
    Define "regular" use. Does it include frequent falling, hammering, bending (iPhone is designed to), [s]nailing,[/ s] sawing, clamping, throwing, soaking, freezing, putting it on fire?

"But I say this to you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you;" - Matthew 5:44
    09-25-15 01:44 AM
    So fockyn sick of analdroid roaches roaming the BlackBerry forum. Even and especially on places they don't belong like this. Gah!

Flame on, mothafockasss

BlackBerry Passport SQW100-1/10.3.2.2639 on Telkomsel Network
    dmateo likes this.
    09-25-15 02:11 AM
    I am going to have to disagree. There are things I dont expect from a phone - I dont expect it to withstand being dropped or sat on or driven over - but I think any phone should be able to withstand normal movement, eapecially at the price these devices cost.
    Disagree all you like. You disagree and you take that stand and refuse to back down. Do not be moved. Refuse to give even an inch.

While you are standing, the laws of physics continue to stand as well, and they don't give a flying flip about your expectations.

If you want a phone that will never crack, you better find a company that is using high-impact or high-tension glass like windshield glass for their screen. Otherwise, phones should always be treated WITH CARE because their components are vulnerable to impact and bending.

You say that based on cost that these phones should be able to handle possible excessive stresses...wrong. The cost of these phones should motivate the end user...with whom the buck stops...to take added interest and care with the device.

And you have also neglected that most people who pocket their phones in their backsides FORGET that the phone is even in there. Only when they sit down do they feel it there.

09-25-15 03:02 AM
    On a side note, wtf do people carry a 500 dollar device in their back pocket where they can sit on it by accident?

Seems like it's asking for trouble.

Posted via CB10
    David Tyler likes this.
    09-25-15 07:38 AM
    On a side note, wtf do people carry a 500 dollar device in their back pocket where they can sit on it by accident?

Seems like it's asking for trouble.

Posted via CB10
    That's one of life's great mysteries. Perhaps while Steve is taking his stand, he can offer us an explanation why people do this.
    09-25-15 08:12 AM
    That's one of life's great mysteries. Perhaps while Steve is taking his stand, he can offer us an explanation why people do this.
    Yea I never understood that reasoning at all. Even though I keep my Passport in the front pocket of my jeans, I always try to take it out before I sit down or set it down somewhere if I'm not going to use it. I'm like that with all of phones, not just the passport.

Posted via my Awesome Red Passport running on T-Mobile Unlimited Data. SQW100-1/10.3.2.2339
    09-25-15 01:26 PM
    Yea I never understood that reasoning at all. Even though I keep my Passport in the front pocket of my jeans, I always try to take it out before I sit down or set it down somewhere if I'm not going to use it. I'm like that with all of phones, not just the passport.

Posted via my Awesome Red Passport running on T-Mobile Unlimited Data. SQW100-1/10.3.2.2339
    Exactly. You are doing the right thing. Why not take that extra second to remove the phone from the pocket before crouching or bending over?

Other people who are lacking in common sense, however, think they can sing, dance, bend over, twerk and do the Hokey Pokey with the phone in their back pocket and think everything will be alright. Like the phone is made of bulletproof glass or something.

Unbelievable.
    09-25-15 01:39 PM
    I take this as a lesson that as soon as you suspect a manufacturer defect i.e. (screen lift )don't put it off till something worse happens. OP I'm sorry that the phone had issues and wish you well with whatever device you choose.
    I also work in a pretty hectic and at times grungy field "healthcare" and don't have the luxury of a holster and need to keep my phone in my scrubs. Otherwise it gets covered in everything.
    My uncle is a mechanic and works in all types of weather he swears by his iPhone and loves it as his hands can get quite greasy. Maybe this would be a better option idk either way good luck.

For those saying who does this well here's an example a "patient rips out their Foley catheter blood and urine everywhere but hold on let me relocate my phone for a minute or better yet your a mechanic and need your phone on you at all times for emergencies, client calls, and have a dozen vehicles needing repair if you took the time to CONSTANTLY reposition your phone you'd get next to nothing done.

Not every profession is of the suit and tie variety

Posted via CB10
    amathtools likes this.
    10-09-15 12:52 PM
    But every walk of life carrying a Passport should never have any problem buying a holster. Really, it's so cheap it's ridiculous. I bought mine from China for a mere $5.7! I mean, come on!

http://www.amazon.com/BlackBerry-Pas...UvbUpU11983792

Q10SQN100-3/10.3.2.2789
    Last edited by bhoqeem; 10-09-15 at 08:14 PM.
    10-09-15 01:42 PM
    Am I the only one who thinks that a 600$ device should be able to withstand being in a pocket?? it's not like he said he used it as a hammer. And screenlifting is a documented problem. For what these cost, they should be able to handle daily use, and not need the velvet treatment for christ's sake.

Posted via CB10
    10-10-15 12:39 AM
    Yeah. How dare people not rearrange their lives so that the precious is always safe. Why not have a device with some engineering involved that allows people to, oh I don't know, lets say tie their shoe,or inspect a motor without the thing vaporizing in their pocket....

Posted via CB10
    10-10-15 12:44 AM
    OP sounds like you got a raw deal. I feel your pain. I hope this doesn't happen to many more, myself included

Posted via CB10
    10-10-15 12:46 AM
    Bottom line is that this phone imo is poorly built. I've had the SE for about 2 weeks and my screen is lifting. I didn't have this issue on my original Passport but did have an offset screen that bled light on the left side really bad. I tried getting it replaced but BB just ran me around in circles and then they wanted me to send mine back. That wasn't going to happen as the last time I sent BB a phone for repair it took 6 weeks to get it back and the trackpad was still broken when I got it back.

Now I've got this issue with the SE. Their quality control is garbage, and has been for some time. I'll buy the Priv just to try it but I'm pretty much to the point of just dumping them all together because their customer service is beyond awful.
    10-10-15 10:02 AM
51 123