Bought a BB Passport in April. Love it. End-state smartphone. Have used and loved BB's since 08 or 09, all over the world.
    Passport had the screenlift issue, was still working, didn't want to deal with AT&T. Screen then shattered in my pocket.

ATT says damage is "not verifiable." No response from RIM/BB.

**** it. Why spend so much when something 1/5 the price does 90% of the job. Blackberry hub? Real nice on a phone, not so nice when phone isn't functional and I can't get a damned response from either company.

This is why market share is so low. This is why AT&T employees aren't even aware of carrying the ******* things.

Brand ambassador. Retired. Screw this.
    Last edited by Recycler8; 09-23-15 at 10:26 AM. Reason: wrong word in title
    09-23-15 10:25 AM
    Bought a BB Passport in April. Love it. End-state smartphone. Have used and loved BB's since 08 or 09, all over the world.
    Passport had the screenlift issue, was still working, didn't want to deal with AT&T. Screen then shattered in my pocket.

**** it. Why spend so much when something 1/5 the price does 90% of the job. Blackberry hub? Real nice on a phone, not so nice when phone isn't functional and I can't get a damned response from either company.

This is why market share is so low. This is why AT&T employees aren't even aware of carrying the ******* things.

What were you doing when the phone shattered in your pocket? Did it happen spontaneously? Or do you share any fault for that happening? Personally, I carry my passport in a holster, and it has a case in case I drop it. Seidio Surface case/holster...works well for me. Do you have insurance on the phone? Do you really think in the exact same situation, you would have received a more satisfying response from any other carrier...and Apple or Samsung?
    09-23-15 10:40 AM

Have to agree with you, I'm done supporting this company, I'll be here to support others as I can, but no longer going to be a spokesperson for such a ****ty! Company!

Posted via CB10
    09-23-15 10:42 AM
    I agree with you. After sales is non-existent and it's a real shame. They produce a great phone and don't bother going all the way with great after sales. Sad to see so many of you calling it a day...

Posted via CB10
    09-23-15 11:02 AM
    Back pocket. Bent over to inspect a motor. Felt...something. Like a lightbulb breaking.
    09-23-15 11:39 AM
    And yeah...I do. Apple cares about it image as a product/provider. Samsung has consistent, improving product and care quality.

Blackberry? Sales metrics only. Got better service from Nokia when I was in effing China. They tried.

This passivity is what pisses me off the most. Absolutely no response...nothing.
    09-23-15 11:42 AM
    Unless you buy an special circumstances or extended warranty that covers screen damage, you will not be covered. As a service provider myself, I have not seen a standard mfg. warranty that covers broken screens.

Nobody chose you or paid you to be a "brand ambassador". If BlackBerry usage seniority makes you special, then I am more special than you cause I have been using BlackBerry since the RIM 850, their first device...since 1999. I, however, am just a business customer...not a special person like you believe yourself to be. As long as their products fill the need, I stay with them. When they and their products fail to be useful any longer, I'll go elsewhere. And I won't have to write a sanctimonious speech like yours upon departure.

All the issues you mentioned have been discussed and inspire of what appears to be bad service, people are still getting their devices serviced and if necessary, replaced by Blackberry. Neither the carrier nor BlackBerry will warrant your phone cause the screen is broken and your pissed off about. Admit it. You are the second person today that has written a thread about a broken Passport screen and both of you admit to carelessly pocketing the phone and then bending over and having the screens crack.

A phone with a format like the Passport should not be kept in pants pockets, especially if you're bending over frequently in angles that will put stress on the device.

My Passport is either in my dinner jacket pocket, blazer pocket or hoodie pocket. I never keep the device in slacks or jeans. That's a recipe for disaster.

If you gotta take a walk from BlackBerry, then by all means do so. But don't fault your carrier or BlackBerry for the damage you caused to your device. Even with Apple, unless you have the extra AppleCare, broken screens are not covered. I know...I'm an Apple ASC.

Blackberry service needs an overhaul...absolutely. But to put it across like nobody gets any help is wrong.

Posted via BlackBerry Passport Red Edition
    09-23-15 04:10 PM
    Does your manager know you're using company time to type this out?

Thanks for lessons in morals. You've clearly never sold a product you believe in.
    09-23-15 05:32 PM
    Does your manager know you're using company time to type this out?

Thanks for lessons in morals. You've clearly never sold a product you believe in.
    Company time is my time, wiseguy. I am the owner of the business. And I don't sell anything, strictly servicing.

You clearly abused your product and now you want to come on here and cry foul and expect either AT&T or Blackberry to foot the bill for you breaking your phone. No sympathy here. You're the one who came in here running off your mouth about Blackberry is this and Blackberry is that, yet YOU are the one who admitted to breaking your own phone.

"Back pocket. Bent over to inspect a motor. Felt...something. Like a lightbulb breaking." Your own admission. Were it me, I would deny your claim on the spot and send you out the door. Don't project your wrongdoing on other people.
    09-23-15 07:40 PM
    Pow!! That hurts! Lol.

BlackBerry Passport SQW100-1/10.3.2.2639 on Telkomsel Network
    anon9347040 likes this.
    09-23-15 08:09 PM
    OP,

In all fairness, it doesn't sound like any warranty/replacement can be claimed here. They were not responsible for the screen breaking.

I don't ever recall hearing of a shattered screen getting free coverage. Unless you pay for an extended warranty, screen replacement is out of the question.

Even if someone breaks an iPhone screen and send it in, Apple will then charge a ridiculous amount to repair it.

Others have left BlackBerry for a more justified reason.

Posted via the BlackBerry Classic
    anon9347040 likes this.
    09-23-15 09:12 PM
    I've never heard of a company repairing broken screens from user error for free.

Post via my Awesome Red Passport running on T-Mobile Unlimited Data. SQW100-1/10.3.2.2339
    09-23-15 10:36 PM
    Company time is my time, wiseguy. I am the owner of the business. And I don't sell anything, strictly servicing.

You clearly abused your product and now you want to come on here and cry foul and expect either AT&T or Blackberry to foot the bill for you breaking your phone. No sympathy here. You're the one who came in here running off your mouth about Blackberry is this and Blackberry is that, yet YOU are the one who admitted to breaking your own phone.

"Back pocket. Bent over to inspect a motor. Felt...something. Like a lightbulb breaking." Your own admission. Were it me, I would deny your claim on the spot and send you out the door. Don't project your wrongdoing on other people.
    This is bullcrap apologist! No wonder this company now only has a 0.3% marketshare. I'll be so happy when BB10 is finally put out of its misery.

No phone be it a square slab or common rectangle should be breaking while in the backpocket.
    Blacklatino likes this.
    09-23-15 10:46 PM

...ahh good read (as with the post before)...I've almost stopped reading this site with all the self (not all members, but the numbers seem to be growing), important first world problemers who just don't think before they do something...then whine about it when it goes wrong and is never their fault.

When you try to explain the situation to help them out, they get all snotty and you just want to smack them.

The should just go ahead and leave, see if they can find anything besides a 1 inch or so thick flip phone that won't break in their bent over back pocket.

Posted on CB10 via my Z30....
    dmateo, anon9347040 and powereds like this.
    09-23-15 10:51 PM
    This is bullcrap apologist! No wonder this company now only has a 0.3% marketshare. I'll be so happy when BB10 is finally put out of its misery.

No phone be it a square slab or common rectangle should be breaking while in the backpocket.
    ...........I'm sorry are you stupid or what?...did you even read how it was broken?...you must be related to the OP.

When he bent over it broke...the forces put on the phone (and a rectangle would be worse) are immense, especially if the pants are fairly snug in the first place...unless he was wearing Hammer (parachute) pants at the time, this phone (or any smart phone) will more than likely break.........................

Posted on CB10 via my Z30....
    powereds and eylee like this.
    09-23-15 10:56 PM
    People can be unreasonable (including me sometimes, HA!) and also don't handle their approximately six hundred dollar devices with the proper care and attention the devices deserve (never me). Screens do not spontaneously shatter in pockets. Physical damage like that is often looked at as user negligence. Then when the user is upset, they become angry with the manufacturer or the retailer or both.

I have literally never had a single issue exchanging devices with the service provider I use, if and when I have required their support (because I am nice helps too). Would I expect their support if I doused my device in liquid or smashed the screen somehow? No. I have also never transported any of my devices in my b#tt pocket, in the history of my devices. Why? Because that is almost the most ridiculous place to put an approximately six hundred dollar device, other than into some water or a fire. That's where our butts are and our butts are what we sit on. Logically, I think to myself, 'should I habitually stow my expensive device in my b#tt pocket, eventually destroying it?' and the answer I always give myself is, definitely a NO!

When and if a problem starts, like the screen lifting off of a device, the immediate response should be to take the appropriate action necessary to fix that problem right away after it happens. Don't wait until the screen smashes before taking the responsibility of having the original problem fixed. That original problem of 'screen lifting' was likely a result of transporting the Passport in a b#tt pocket to begin with.

When a person, with eyes and a brain, views a Passport and notices the much different shape it holds than any other device on the market - the brain of the person with the eyes should interpret a more reasonable way of transporting the oddly shaped device other than by shoving it into a b#tt pocket, only to one day sit on it.

Here is a video showing exactly how to disassemble a BlackBerry Passport:

Here is where you can buy a replacement screen assembly:

http://www.etradesupply.com/blackber...-passport.html

Now you can fix your Passport if you wish.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by buckwylder; 09-23-15 at 11:35 PM.
    09-23-15 11:04 PM

Care to define what a "bullcrap apologist" is, or do you have absolutely no mastery of the English language. You'll be happy when BB10 is put out of its misery. So you are in command of BlackBerry now are you? Or are you, just like the OP, ranting off the top of your head being guided by emotional exuberance rather than solid logic.

Out of the traditional four pockets on a pair of slacks, it is the rear pockets that render more force when the wearer is in a bent over position. Why you don't understand that is beyond me. Obviously you forgot about Bendgate when iPhone 6 Plus phone were bending in people's rear pockets.

The fact that you say that no phone should break while in a person's rear pocket shows that you are ill equipped to even talk about this issue. No common sense at all.
    powereds and sulcopete like this.
    09-23-15 11:19 PM
    OP,

In all fairness, it doesn't sound like any warranty/replacement can be claimed here. They were not responsible for the screen breaking.

I don't ever recall hearing of a shattered screen getting free coverage. Unless you pay for an extended warranty, screen replacement is out of the question.

Even if someone breaks an iPhone screen and send it in, Apple will then charge a ridiculous amount to repair it.

Others have left BlackBerry for a more justified reason.

Posted via the BlackBerry Classic
    Exactly. The OP in this thread tried to glorify Apple and Samsung for better service. When you crack a screen and take it to Apple, be prepared to sell your arm to get that screen fixed. And I have people coming to me for servicing on their Samsung phones because the Samsung depot keeps d**cking them around all the time. Blackberry service can definitely use improvement, but that doesn't mean that it's sunshine and roses at Apple or Samsung.

These jokers don't understand.
    09-23-15 11:25 PM
    Care to define what a "bullcrap apologist" is, or do you have absolutely no mastery of the English language. You'll be happy when BB10 is put out of its misery. So you are in command of BlackBerry now are you? Or are you, just like the OP, ranting off the top of your head being guided by emotional exuberance rather than solid logic.

Out of the traditional four pockets on a pair of slacks, it is the rear pockets that render more force when the wearer is in a bent over position. Why you don't understand that is beyond me. Obviously you forgot about Bendgate when iPhone 6 Plus phone were bending in people's rear pockets.

The fact that you say that no phone should break while in a person's rear pocket shows that you are ill equipped to even talk about this issue. No common sense at all.
    While I agree with some of what you said in this thread, I don't think phones should be breaking under "regular" use. I sometimes find it silly how fragile modern cell phones have become. I would trade for a device that can perform the same functions as any smartphone but make it thicker so batteries actually last, drops don't kill the phone, and phones don't bend (unless it was designed to).

Posted via CB10
    09-23-15 11:29 PM
    While I agree with some of what you said in this thread, I don't think phones should be breaking under "regular" use. I sometimes find it silly how fragile modern cell phones have become. I would trade for a device that can perform the same functions as any smartphone but make it thicker so batteries actually last, drops don't kill the phone, and phones don't bend (unless it was designed to).

Posted via CB10
    There are two analdroid brands you can actually use the screen as a hammer, literally, and won't break when run over by a car. You might want those.

BlackBerry Passport SQW100-1/10.3.2.2639 on Telkomsel Network
    Last edited by bhoqeem; 09-24-15 at 02:13 AM.
    powereds likes this.
    09-24-15 12:42 AM
    Until about a year ago, I didn't know any iPhone owners who _didn't_ have cracked screens. Most of them put the phone in jeans pockets.

Passport SE: All the snooty prestige of a device with a precious metal in the name at less than half the price!
    09-24-15 01:50 AM
    I can't get a damned response from either company... This is why AT&T employees aren't even aware of carrying the ******* things.
    I recently bought a Passport SE to replace my Z30. I decided to resurrect one of my Bolds to pack when the Passport isn't convenient.

1.) I went to an AT&T Store and got two new SIM cards (one for the Bold and a nano for the SE. They were happy to dole out the cards and set up the Passport for call forwarding to the Bold. One of them wanted to check out the SE, remarking, "We don't have any right now, but I've heard good things."

2.) At home, the Bold was a little flaky, so I did a security wipe, downloaded a loader for OS 7.1 and installed a fresh OS (shout-out to my friends in BlackBerry Talk!). I still had some browser problems, so I called AT&T tech support. They -- quite understandably -- couldn't really help me, so they put me on the line with BlackBerry support. The woman I spoke with spent nearly _90 minutes_ with me working on the problem. For a years-old Bold.

Passport SE: All the snooty prestige of a device with a precious metal in the name at less than half the price!
    09-24-15 02:15 AM
    Had the same issue - had a Passport that experienced screen lift after two months of use. Carrier refused to fix under warranty. BlackBerry has no presence in Australia to be able to resolve the issue. There's no phone support, no service centres - nada.

The first and only phone I've ever owned that has suffered a physical defect. Of course it's a BlackBerry.

Gone back to my q10 and Bold 9900 whilst I decide what to do. The iphone 6s launch tomorrow is looking mighty appealing...

Posted via CB10
    09-24-15 03:26 AM

Tell me how you really feel....

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    09-24-15 04:38 AM

He bent over. It's not it was just sitting in his pocket and broke. Any slab will break if it's put in a back pocket and bent enough.

Post via my Awesome Red Passport running on T-Mobile Unlimited Data. SQW100-1/10.3.2.2339
    09-24-15 06:04 AM
51 123