Hi guys,

I remember seeing a thread on this a while back but I can't find it. Anyways, it seems like ShopBlackberry sent me a used passport when I ordered a supposed 'new' one off their site. How can I tell?

1) The box had two pieces of tape on it (versus my first passport that I sent back for keyboard bleed/loose keys) instead of one.

2) The keyboard is already "broken in". This one doesn't bother me too much since I would break it in myself eventually anyways, I just believe that is evidence that I've received a used/refurbished device.

3) The stickers that come on the passport itself had more bubbles/ were not actually fully on the device.

4) The volume rockers already had fingerprints, and also feel broken in. Again, this one doesn't bother me and the fingerprints could still be a result of testing, I suppose.

5) It says that the Passport was sent from the returns center on the shipping label.

What do you guys think I should do? As far as I can tell, this one doesn't have any loose keys and while it does have a slight amount of bleed its not as bad as my old one. Everything else appears A-OK. Should I just keep it?
    12-03-14 03:32 PM
    I'd complain regardless of what you choose to do. You purchased a new device and are due one.

They never sold it as returned so you don't need to accept it.

Yes it's a BlackBerry. If you have something bad to say... speak to Easton!
    12-03-14 03:38 PM
    I would complain. Selling a used device is new is not only wrong, but probably illegal in some way.

Posted via CB10
    12-03-14 03:45 PM
    I definitely might write them and see what they say...I suppose I would like to be certain that its in fact not a new device. But I think that all of those reasons combined are fairly convincing.

I also noticed that it doesn't explicitly state on ShopBB that the device is new.
    12-03-14 06:01 PM
    Sorry to hear that. I wouldn't be happy. Up to you if you want to return it. My BlackBerry Z30 is on its way, I expect it to be new and not used. I read a thread where a Z30 had three layers of seal stickers. One member said it was to update the os.

Posted via CB10
    12-03-14 06:08 PM
    Did you take pics? And how was the OS. The clues are in there. Registration?
    Used Passport Sold as New?-df4.png

Posted via CB10
    JWWDUKE likes this.
    12-03-14 06:19 PM
    I took pictures of the stickers, but that's it. They could easily roll back the OS, so I don't think that is a way to confirm that its new either.
    12-03-14 06:26 PM
    I took pictures of the stickers, but that's it. They could easily roll back the OS, so I don't think that is a way to confirm that its new either.
    My friend received his passport last week, it had two security seals on each side.

Posted via CB10
    12-03-14 07:00 PM
    My friend received his passport last week, it had two security seals on each side.

Posted via CB10
    What does that mean? The passport was used? Os updated?

Passport/CB10
    12-03-14 08:48 PM
    Bro I am feeling nervous now

Passport/CB10
    12-03-14 08:50 PM
    If there is nothing wrong with the device, I would keep it... what's the point? You will forget about this in a week. If it really bothers you send it back.

If you are one of the people that you know this will bother and possibly haunt you for a while, then just send it back and don't think twice. Otherwise keep it and enjoy your device.
    12-03-14 09:39 PM
    Btw. Mine on launch day had bubbles on the protectors too... thought it was a little jv not to be able to put a sticker on correctly, but using the phone with no issues and all. Cheers
    12-03-14 09:40 PM
    Does it actually say new blackberry passport or just blackberry passport $599/$699
    12-03-14 09:47 PM
    I would call them and probably give an earful. You expected a new device, you paid for a new device, you better as hel.l get a new device.

Posted via CB10
    12-03-14 10:05 PM
    Does it actually say new blackberry passport or just blackberry passport $599/$699
    Are you freaking kidding me? It's not Craigslist or eBay. It's a retail shop. It doesn't matter what they say, the device should be new.

Posted via CB10
    tufcustomer likes this.
    12-03-14 10:13 PM
    Geez even BlackBerry has to open the box to unlock it. I got one shipped free from BlackBerry as I'm an industry analyst and the box seals were broken. Chill all

Posted via CB10
    12-03-14 10:44 PM
    You people are all over reacting, to unlock a phone you have to have access to it. It's that simple.... chill all!!!!

Posted via CB10
    12-03-14 10:56 PM
    My first Passport only had one set of stickers, this one had two. I think that my five reasons in total are convincing enough that I am about to contact digital river to see what they say. I'll keep you all updated
    12-03-14 11:24 PM
    Perhaps one person used up all of the new Passport stock...

(I kid, I kid)

Anyway, if it's quite obviously been used for more than just a cursory diagnostic/unlock, then you should talk to Digital River.

Posted via CB10
    12-03-14 11:32 PM
    My first Passport was new, but it developed the screen-lifting problem and I returned it. My second unit was clearly refurbished -- the box was scuffed and re-taped, the screen protectors were bubbly and crooked, and there are a few nicks along the frame's edge.

But it's a much more solid phone than the 'new' one I had first received. The keys are not jiggling around and there's no light-bleed, and the screen hasn't shifted one bit in the three weeks of use. I'm happier with my rebuild than I ever was with the factory unit.

There's so much wrong with that statement... This is 2015. Blackberry should really have higher manufacturing standards by now. I've never had even a low end phone which was assembled with such little care. It's a mark against them.

I only keep it because I've also never had a phone this well designed. They just need to have a long overdue talk with their factory partners.
    12-04-14 06:55 AM
    I believe I received a used one as well. The tab at the top of the phone you use to take the phone out of the box was bent and squished between the phone and the box. Also both plastic strips along the top and bottom of the phone were missing. Not sure if this is the norm or not but it was shipped from a returns center as well. Plainfield returns center........ is that where all the phones ship from? If so maybe the name should be changed....lol

Posted via CB10
    02-17-15 11:51 PM
    Usually the local importer inspects the phone on arrival and them repacks it and hence two stickers. I've seen this with my BlackBerry 9900 and my q5 and have verified it from an employee of the importer. Hence the two sticker issue is not a real worry. However the other points you mentioned may be needed to be addressed.

Q5SQR100-3/10.2.1.3247
    02-18-15 12:00 AM
    My first Passport was new, but it developed the screen-lifting problem and I returned it. My second unit was clearly refurbished -- the box was scuffed and re-taped, the screen protectors were bubbly and crooked, and there are a few nicks along the frame's edge.

But it's a much more solid phone than the 'new' one I had first received. The keys are not jiggling around and there's no light-bleed, and the screen hasn't shifted one bit in the three weeks of use. I'm happier with my rebuild than I ever was with the factory unit.

There's so much wrong with that statement... This is 2015. Blackberry should really have higher manufacturing standards by now. I've never had even a low end phone which was assembled with such little care. It's a mark against them.

I only keep it because I've also never had a phone this well designed. They just need to have a long overdue talk with their factory partners.
    They might need to contact Foxconn for assembling and so on....
    02-18-15 12:13 AM
    Ok now I think I see why this unit was returned. I said in another thread that there was no light bleed but this morning I was typing and while not even looking for it I can see light bleed almost beside every key. Also there was a sloppy job with the adhesive attaching the screen. I thought I had a bunch of dirt in the groove but it's the glue. Well I guess I'll be returning this return..... not sure if I should ask for a replacement or not...

Posted via CB10
    02-18-15 06:19 AM