I dropped my PP today and after looking at a couple of videos, it seems it is difficult to separate the metal frame from the screen. The screen assemblies that I was able to find to not come with the frame.

Can anyone recommend a competent US-based repair shop? I have not been able to find one. I tweeted @Blackberryhelp. The only response I got was asking where I purchased it. It's from Amazon...not sure why it matters when asked where to get it fixed?
    08-04-15 09:20 PM
    It matters because what's the point of sending you to a shop in Alaska if you're in Florida? Try providing more information and you'll get a better answer. Let's start by asking whether you want to bring it into a shop to get fixed or not. If so you need to provide a city.

Channel for Asian eye candy
    08-04-15 09:23 PM
    Omaha, NE. I don' think there are any repair shops here that do Passports. Any mainland shop that has a reasonable 3-5 day turnaround will do.

Posted via CB10
    08-04-15 10:31 PM
    Try ubreakifix. They list Passport:

https://www.ubreakifix.com/repairs&f=192,18,190,

Posted via CB10
    93Aero likes this.
    08-04-15 11:17 PM
    I dropped my PP today and after looking at a couple of videos, it seems it is difficult to separate the metal frame from the screen. The screen assemblies that I was able to find to not come with the frame.

Can anyone recommend a competent US-based repair shop? I have not been able to find one. I tweeted @Blackberryhelp. The only response I got was asking where I purchased it. It's from Amazon...not sure why it matters when asked where to get it fixed?
    It's not difficult at all. Just use a suction cup. It pulls right off.

Otherwise disassembly is pretty straightforward.

Make sure you have thin 3m double sided tape to affix the new screen. Remove all the old adhesive and clean the surfaces with an alcohol swab to make sure the tape bonds properly.
    US Repair Shop that handles the Passport-img_20150805_073212.jpg

Posted via CB10
    08-05-15 06:32 AM
    Can you post where you found the replacement screen?
    Please?

Posted via CB10
    08-05-15 08:29 AM
    Can you post where you found the replacement screen?
    Please?

Posted via CB10
    http://www.etradesupply.com/blackber...html?parts=213

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.2.2339 ftw!!
    08-05-15 08:46 AM
    That's the place.

Posted via CB10
    08-05-15 08:55 AM
    Thanks! Anyone know the difference between the 001 and 003 versions? Besides the price?

Posted via CB10
    08-05-15 09:19 AM
    So all I need is to buy a suction cup & find the 3mm tape as shown? Do I also need heat gun to remove the screen due to any existing tape/glue? And then I just carefully attach the screen making sure nothing wrinkles underneath? I would just have to find the right tools?
    08-05-15 01:55 PM
    So all I need is to buy a suction cup & find the 3mm tape as shown? Do I also need heat gun to remove the screen due to any existing tape/glue? And then I just carefully attach the screen making sure nothing wrinkles underneath? I would just have to find the right tools?
    It's not as easy as that.

No heat gun is needed. Just a suction cup. You can peel off the old tape.

You will still have to disassemble the device. You have to do this because the ribbon cable from the screen threads through and connects to the back of the base.

The only real tricky part is removing the battery. You have to be very careful with that because you can damage it. Take your time to do it. Use something like a credit card and be very gentle. The battery tape is very strong. I didn't replace it. It sticks just fine for a second time.

There are several Passport disassembly videos on YouTube. Study them carefully. They don't tell you how to take the screen off though. But, that is easy. Just use a suction cup.

Keep careful track of your screws too. There are several sizes. All are torx T5 I believe.

The tape is made by 3M, not 3mm. It's actually about 2 mm wide but 3 mm would do too. Run the tape along the outside edge of the glass before you install it. Keep the cover on one side of the tape so the adhesive remains tacky. The top is tricky. Don't cover the LED, camera hole, or proximity sensor. It will be clear where those are from just looking at the Passport. Don't cover those holes! But, on the top, put the tape where you can even if it not near the edge. There is lots of room and the factory tape is pretty wide. Don't overlap the tape or the screen might not bond properly to the frame.

It sounds hard but is really straightforward if you are careful and are comfortable taking apart an expensive phone.

Posted via CB10
    08-05-15 03:16 PM