Since I'm assuming my Passport will be in my hands sometime next week...any suggestions as to which US Carrier to go with in order to get LTE? Obviously Verizon and Sprint are not immediate options...so they are out. That leaves AT&T, T-MOBILE, and Cricket. Has anyone used Cricket (AT&T network) and have LTE? I realize that some folks have been able to get LTE via existing IMIEs, however, I'm not a candidate for that since I'll be BYOD as a new customer to one of these Carriers. Suggestions?

Posted via CB10
    10-03-14 06:00 PM
    Cricket restricts you to 8mbps on LTE (and 4 on HSPA+)

You can test drive TMO to see how good their coverage is: T-Mobile Test Drive | Try our 4G LTE Network for Free

If you want to save money, try TMO first using the test drive. If coverage/speeds are good enough, stay with them. If not, you'll have to go an AT&T based carrier. Cricket will be cheaper, but they cap speeds to the limits above. AT&T's rates may actually be quite competitive to TMO's, since you're BYOD.
    10-03-14 06:06 PM
    Excellent advice...thank you!

Posted via CB10
    10-03-14 06:10 PM
    Good input about Cricket's limitations. I am wondering, how fast, as in mbps, do today's smart phones go if unrestricted, say on TMobile or AT&T? And is 8 mbps or even 4 mbps still reasonably fast, as in no frustrating waits that go on and on? I haven't been using data with my AT&T account for a few years, but once I get the Passport I will be resuming data use, and have been trying to decide what carrier to go with. I like the idea of Cricket's all inclusive and lower priced plans, and its access to the entire AT&T network now that AT&T bought them out, but I have been concerned about two things regarding Cricket: One, if those restricted LTE speeds are going to be just too slow, and two, if I'll even be able to use, and fully use, the Passport thru a Cricket BYOD account? (I don't believe Cricket will be selling the Passport themselves, at least not for a while). Any input on the above? Thanks.
    10-03-14 06:36 PM
    Good questions. Also...what would be the difference in speeds between AT&T 4G (sine we know LTE doesn't work for new customers) , T-mobile 4G LTE, and Cricket 4g LTE?

Posted via CB10
    10-03-14 06:40 PM
    Good input about Cricket's limitations. I am wondering, how fast, as in mbps, do today's smart phones go if unrestricted, say on TMobile or AT&T?
    I have seen screenshots into the 90s for down speed.

And is 8 mbps or even 4 mbps still reasonably fast, as in no frustrating waits that go on and on?
    That depends on what you're trying to do, and on more factors than just speed. First off, you would want a steady signal (i.e. good coverage--which you're more likely to get with AT&T than TMO.) Then you would want low latency so that you don't get the 'buffering' effect. 8 mbps (and keep in mind, this is the maximum theoretical speed you will see, i.e. you will always be under 8) is good speed for a lot of tasks.

two, if I'll even be able to use, and fully use, the Passport thru a Cricket BYOD account?
    Yes.

Good questions. Also...what would be the difference in speeds between AT&T 4G (sine we know LTE doesn't work for new customers) , T-mobile 4G LTE, and Cricket 4g LTE?
    1. Where are you getting "doesn't work for new customers" from? The lack of provisioning on accounts? There's a simple fix for that.
    2. Speed would vary from area to area. I believe TMO is faster in general, but AT&T has better nationwide coverage.
    10-03-14 08:54 PM
    Agreed...coverage is more important. I'll go with AT&T.

Posted via CB10
    10-03-14 09:17 PM
    I have a passport and love it. But tmobile just shoots themselves in the foot on this. Coverage is decent and I like their speed. But without their wifi calling support for this phone it might make me keep the iPhone 6 plus I have coming.

Posted via CB10
    10-03-14 11:47 PM