08-10-15 08:59 PM
46 12
tools
    I would think the odds of having an issue are low. In my small company and family we have 7 Passports, 1 Q10, 1 Q5, and 2 Classics with no issues other than broken screens from dropping on tile lol. If you like the form factor and OS, go for it. SE is fantastic by the way.
    08-08-15 09:11 AM
    Is there a key press user habit behind double type too?

Posted via CB10
    08-08-15 09:30 AM
    In our company we have 5 Q10s and all have double typing issues. We now have 2 classics but no typing issue. I want blackberry for qwerty but something was up with the q10 hardware. Same way when you put the q10 down a certain way and it reboots - the solution bell gave was to stick a piece of paper over the battery to make it stop - they said that iss what blackberry told them to do as it was a design flaww.

I am going to give the passport a shot since the double typing does not seem as prevalent as an issue when you Google it as compared to the q10.

BTW - if you never had a device that had the X2 issue, it's hard for you to comprehend how frustrating it is. Having 6-7 different keys that will give 2-4 repeat characters randomly 50-60% of the time makes typing really slow.

Posted via CB10
    08-08-15 10:14 AM
    My Passport from October has never double typed... if it did that, I would be gone...
    extisis likes this.
    08-08-15 10:26 AM
    I've never had a double typing issue on my Passport. It's a superior device. You won't regret this choice.

Posted via CB10
    08-08-15 12:26 PM
    Is there a key press user habit behind double type too?

Posted via CB10
    I suspect that there might be. Some people hammer away on those keys which probably causes much more wear and others glide their thumbs more gracefully, never really lifting them from the keyboard.

Different strokes for different folks.
    08-08-15 12:37 PM
    2Thumb Contact&Glide mitigates unwanted capacitive movements&swipes...works4me...

I suspect that there might be. Some people hammer away on those keys which probably causes much more wear and others glide their thumbs more gracefully, never really lifting them from the keyboard.

Different strokes for different folks.
    08-08-15 01:59 PM
    I never had double typing issues with my passport or with any other BlackBerry that I have used in the past.
    However as you can see in other various threads seems that a number of passports have this issue, I do hope that this is now over with the new silver edition.
    Nevertheless there is always a chance to get a defected by any means device from BlackBerry or any other manufacturer, that's why there is the warranty period in which you can exchange the device with a good one.

Sent from my BlackBerry Passport
    08-08-15 02:32 PM
    I think one time when I pressed 'enter' in an email it MAY have jumped an extra line but who can say for sure?

To everyone who is paranoid about the double-type or even to those who are genuinely affected by it... I have to point something out to you:
    Your keyboard is so accurate that for the once-in-a-while when you have a double-type incident, it infuriates you. Do you REALLY think that moving to another platform (almost certainly meaning a touchscreen device) is going to improve your typing experience? Keep dreaming...

The double-type is a privilege for only those who know how incredibly accurate your mobile typing experience can be. You are aiming for perfection and frustrated that you don't have it. Try explaining this problem to an iPhone user. I promise they won't understand.

Once in a while I start typing on my PC before it has completely loaded the page that I have opened and it picks up what I am entering mid-sentence. Do I get furious and say that I'm going to use an iPad instead of my laptop?

The Passport is by far the best mobile typing experience out there. The hybrid blend of virtual keyboard convenience with they accuracy of physical keys is incomparable with anything else out there. You won't regret it and the Silver Edition looks mighty boss!
    This really is the most incredible spin that I have seen for a defect.
    jaydee5799 likes this.
    08-08-15 04:03 PM
    This really is the most incredible spin that I have seen for a defect.
    I enjoyed reading it as well, and liked the back-peddling following my YouTube video post.

Posted via CB10 // Passport SQW100-1 // 10.3.2.2339 // Cricket Wireless
    08-08-15 04:11 PM
    Go Latest as always, Go Silver Limited Edition!!!

Powered by BlackBerry Passport Red Edition via CB10
    it's just Silver Edition, not limited.
    08-08-15 10:55 PM
    I don't have any double typing issue with my passport so u don't know what everyone is talking about

Posted via CB10
    Neither do I
    08-08-15 11:10 PM
    I've never had double typing on any of my devices. I can acknowledge it happens to some people but like almost anything else, it's hit or miss on whether you end up with a device with it. Just comes up more often here because, well, this is CrackBerry.
    extisis likes this.
    08-09-15 04:49 PM
    I enjoyed reading it as well, and liked the back-peddling following my YouTube video post.

Posted via CB10 // Passport SQW100-1 // 10.3.2.2339 // Cricket Wireless
    It wasn't so much 'back-peddling' as much as I was acknowledging that the specific scenario you posted affecting that individual device was quite unfortunate.

However, I believe that most people (of those affected) experience double-typing, from what I can tell, in much more isolated and random occurrences. And, if you were to compare the accuracy of them (let's say one out of every 100 keystrokes double-types) to the average accuracy of someone with a touch screen keyboard, you would get interesting results. Double-type is something experienced by people who are aiming for 100% accuracy. And, IMO, they are not going to achieve that without a BlackBerry physical keyboard.
    08-09-15 11:46 PM
    No double typing either here.

Z10STL100-4/10.3.2.2339 on XL Network
    08-10-15 02:33 AM
    OP, as you can see from the responses here, experiences vary quite widely.
    For myself, I've used 9000/9700/9900 intensely without a single keyboard failure. My wife has used her Q10 for over two years without a single keyboard failure (and she has a near-zero tolerance for equipment not performing as it should, so I would have been made painstakingly aware of any such fault). And then I bought a Passport. The first one had a 'B' key that was not 'clicky' so I returned that one. The replacement was perfect, until a couple of months ago when the 'T' started to double type, then the 'R' and the 'M', and so forth.
    On the other hand: screen lift and logo coming off are other reported problems that were not at all present in my device.

Bottom line: mileage varies widely. The Silver Edition has had nowhere near the exposure that the original has so it's not yet possible to predict if that one will have fewer keyboard problems. If I were you, I'd be very willing to try the Passport. Coming from a Q10, that will be a massive upgrade (not to slag off the Q10, I'm using one now that my Passport is out for repair, but man o man that Passport is powerful!)
    08-10-15 06:20 AM
    The double typing that most people who really have it is not 1 keystroke in 1000 but is more like 8 times out of 10 times for that letter. For me it started with the a, then it spread to the e, w... until about 7 keys were double typing 80% of the time. It's a defective keyboard and for our company, we have not had a q10 that did not develop a true double typing issue within 3-6 months of deployment.

Posted via CB10
    08-10-15 03:45 PM
    Yes there is an issue with Double typing on the Passport. Do a search, Guess its time to move on.
    For a few but don't throw all the eggs in one basket!

Never had that issue on my Q10 or Passport. So do not throw in the towel yet.

I'd seriously consider trying a device rather just listening to a few unhappy people. I'm not saying the double typing issue does not exist but I seriously doubt it exists in majority of BlackBerry devices.
    08-10-15 08:04 PM
    For a few but don't throw all the eggs in one basket!

Never had that issue on my Q10 or Passport. So do not throw in the towel yet.

I'd seriously consider trying a device rather just listening to a few unhappy people. I'm not saying the double typing issue does not exist but I seriously doubt it exists in majority of BlackBerry devices.
    Two Passport in this house with no issues what so ever. My statement was made from reading other members with the DDtyping issues.
    08-10-15 08:17 PM
    I had my Passport for three weeks now, no double typing.. By the way, absolutely love the keyboard!!!!

Posted via my incredible Passport
    08-10-15 08:50 PM
    Never had a DT issue on any BB...
    Try SE PP

Posted via CB10 using a white Passport, from Texas
    08-10-15 08:59 PM
46 12