You Sir get my applause and a free copy of "Economics in One Lesson " by Hazlitt for your shelf! So many in Europe don't realize that they are already paying through the nose for what they are getting. The government giveth because it has already taken away.

" I do not think that word means what you think it means. "
    Thanks much.
    I'm familiar with Friedman, Rand (of course), Hayek, and Sowell- but never read Hazlitt. I just ordered that book though.
    Sorry 'bout the off topic post.
    I'll PM you in the future!
    -GT
    LoneStarRed likes this.
    01-28-15 10:22 PM
    Thanks much.
    I'm familiar with Friedman, Rand (of course), Hayek, and Sowell- but never read Hazlitt. I just ordered that book though.
    -GT
    Fine with that. Sowell, Hayek...absolutely.

" I do not think that word means what you think it means. "
    01-28-15 10:59 PM
    This wasn't BlackBerry's fault, so I'm not sure why you assumed they would just replace it?

Your picture shows it was bent pretty badly.
    You admitted putting it in your front jeans pocket, which is by no means a "safe" means of storage for such a large device. (unless you have legs that aren't rounded like most of us)

No manufacturer is going to cover damage that is cause by the users. Heck even the iPhone bending issues, isn't really Apple's fault in my view... the bigger the device, the more suitable it will be to bending... unless they make it thicker.

But thanks for helping others to understand that you have to be careful with expensive electronic devices, and the insurance really is a good idea.
    Are you working for an insurance company?

Having my phone in the front pocket of my jeans or my suit jacket is the normal way for me to "store" my phone otg.

Now, I have an HTC One M8 for a few months and it didn't even slightly bend, in that time. We will see if it stays that way, but let me say the following:

Having my smartphone in the front pocket is a damn normal thing. And if that starts to bend phones, the phones are a misconstruction. I have had mobile phones in my front pocket for the last 1.7 decades... That's what I consider normal use.

Physical damage is NEVER covered under warranty. There's no possible way the device bent on its own without some kind of force exerted so of course they won't cover this type of damage under warranty. Manufacturer warranty only covers manufacturer defects and this doesn't just apply to BlackBerry but pretty much every manufacturer.

Anyway, the only advice I have for the OP is that if you paid with a credit card, some cards have insurance covering accidental damage within the first 90 days. You should check right away to see if your credit card has any coverage.
    So basically, what you are saying is, that I can put my phone in the front pocket of my jeans, but that I can't move while doing that?

A phone that bends because of normal things I and basically every other human does (moving around, sitting, driving) is a misconstruction. It's poorly engineered and testing must be bad as well.

If my phone bends, because of normal use and in situations no other phone I ever had, bent, then I fully expect the manufacturer to give me my money back, as the phone obviously suffers from a constructional defect preventing it from being used normally (which is a manufacturer's defect).

QUOTE=LoneStarRed;11304266]Fine with that. Sowell, Hayek...absolutely.

" I do not think that word means what you think it means. "[/QUOTE]

Thanks much.
    -GT
    It should be of note that Hayek at least moved away a little from his neo-classical ideology as he got older.
    In his case, getting older and wiser was true.

Overall, it's pretty interesting to see that you mostly read and recommend ultra-liberal/libertarian economic theorists. It explains quite a bit.
    Last edited by MarsupilamiX; 01-29-15 at 12:07 PM.
    01-29-15 11:24 AM
    Anyone have any opinions on whether the corner-rounded AT&T Passport will really be more resistant to twisting? That's a test I would really like to see. Grab both of them by the narrower ends and give each a twist. I really don't know.
    01-29-15 12:23 PM
    Are you working for an insurance company?

Having my phone in the front pocket of my jeans or my suit jacket is the normal way for me to "store" my phone otg.

Now, I have an HTC One M8 for a few months and it didn't even slightly bend, in that time. We will see if it stays that way, but let me say the following:

Having my smartphone in the front pocket is a damn normal thing. And if that starts to bend phones, the phones are a misconstruction. I have had mobile phones in my front pocket for the last 1.7 decades... That's what I consider normal use.
    What YOU want to consider normal use for one type of device, may not apply to another type of device. There is a big difference between the dimension of todays phablets and a small candybar phone from 1.7 decades agos.

Aso there is a big difference in people and pants... you put a tight pair of jeans on and the pressure points form sitting or bending now have greater potential to cause the longer devices like the Passport or the iPhone 6+, to flex in a way that may damage the device. A small device like a flip phone would be just fine.... If it works for you, that is just fine and you feel free to keep putting devices in your pocket. That will be between you and the insurance company (or maybe the manufacturer as Apple has done some replacements) that you choose to insure your phone with.

Also... Apple explicitly tells you in the manual NOT to carry your phone in your pocket..... due to the radiation exposure threat it poses.
    They recommend a minimum of .39" away from your body, BlackBerry recommends a .59" gap between the users and the phone in their manuals. All of which is the reason that Belt Clips or Holsters are recommended. Hate to imagine what 1.7 decades of direct radiation exposure has done to you.... or all those ladies (I use that word loosely) that believe their breast make a good holster.
    MarsupilamiX likes this.
    01-29-15 01:08 PM
    This.... I got a policy that covers breakage, malfunctions, etc. (Square Trade.) If the client tries warranty service first and it is not covered, the Square Trade warranty takes over and repairs or replaces. Cost me $89.00 if paid up front ($3.71/mo.) instead of the $5.00 per month. Kind of a no-brainer and they accepted my phone even though my Passport was 2 weeks past the 30- day initiation period.
    *CALL them directly for the Passport as it is not yet listed among their BB device list. (for anyone interested)
    Not sure if I just read the last part wrong, but you squaretrade actually repaired your passport? I'm debating on getting a plan from them, but I currently sell their plans for a living (easytech at staples) and I've heard mixed results from them.

Posted via CB10
    01-29-15 01:34 PM
    What YOU want to consider normal use for one type of device, may not apply to another type of device. There is a big difference between the dimension of todays phablets and a small candybar phone from 1.7 decades agos.

Aso there is a big difference in people and pants... you put a tight pair of jeans on and the pressure points form sitting or bending now have greater potential to cause the longer devices like the Passport or the iPhone 6+, to flex in a way that may damage the device. A small device like a flip phone would be just fine.... If it works for you, that is just fine and you feel free to keep putting devices in your pocket. That will be between you and the insurance company (or maybe the manufacturer as Apple has done some replacements) that you choose to insure your phone with.

Also... Apple explicitly tells you in the manual NOT to carry your phone in your pocket..... due to the radiation exposure threat it poses.
    They recommend a minimum of .39" away from your body, BlackBerry recommends a .59" gap between the users and the phone in their manuals. All of which is the reason that Belt Clips or Holsters are recommended. Hate to imagine what 1.7 decades of direct radiation exposure has done to you.... or all those ladies (I use that word loosely) that believe their breast make a good holster.
    Radiation is a concern, indeed.
    To my knowledge though, most of the newer studies haven't found a huge correlation between cancer and cell-phone radiation.
    I try to keep up with the subject though, since we are exposed to a lot of different radiation throughout the day ((since I am not a scientist though, and just an econ grad, I have no first hand knowledge about that subject) loved the comment about "ladies" )

You are correct when you say that the dimensions changed throughout those 1.7 decades, but the phones I used were Nokia Communicators, WM/S60/UIQ ones, the OG Droid, a T-mobile MDA 3 and his clone the BlackBerry Torch 9810 (with the latter ones being smaller).
    Those phones aren't exactly flip phones

It's a very interesting information that Apple recommends to not put the phone in your pocket.
    I had no idea about that and makes me wonder if I should investigate further (yeah, I probably should).

I never bought any type of insurance for my phones, as I have no need for that 90% of the times (I also never shattered any screen of a phone until today). It's cheaper for me to just buy a new phone, in case of user inflicted destruction.

Anyhow, skinny jeans are for hipster and when I wear a suit (at least 5 days a week) I put the phone in my inside pocket. It worked very well over those 1.7 decades and even my big HTC One isn't bent.
    I haven't read of mass bending HTC Ones either. Nor about Passports. Neither about iPhone 6 pluses.
    So I wonder if it's just a mass manufacturing issue, or a constructional failure, in all of the cases I have heard until now, as I can't be the only guy out there wearing jeans and having his smartphone his pocket while doing daily things.
    (Thinking about that, bending Samsung Notes weren't in my RSS feeds either, over all those years.)
    Last edited by MarsupilamiX; 01-29-15 at 03:53 PM.
    01-29-15 02:28 PM
    Not sure if I just read the last part wrong, but you squaretrade actually repaired your passport? I'm debating on getting a plan from them, but I currently sell their plans for a living (easytech at staples) and I've heard mixed results from them.

Posted via CB10
    No I haven't needed them yet. But I also sold Square Trade warranties when I was with a major electronics retailer and they were actually quite good. Current reviews are generally positive as well. I guess my point is that unlike other so-called 2 or 3 year warranties, ST covers you up front, not after the manufacturer's warranty ends. So if Blackberry won't cover, for instance, a bent passport under their warranty, then Square Trade would assume the repair/ replacement.
    01-29-15 03:13 PM
    So i just discovered my passport is slightly bent. I have been noticing slight wobble facing down with the OEM hard shell. Initially I didn't bother to think much but today I took it out of the case and closely examined it and yes the bent is there. It's slight but it's there. I bent it back a little and that seems to fix it.

Yes, i am a little disappointed but not sure what I could do since I bought it through shopbb.... my wife's z1 bent is a lot worst. She rarely take it out of her otter case. The bent on the z1 was quite bad. I suspect it's the battery expanding on the z1 and i wouldn't be surprised if there is a little bit of that with pp.

Posted via CB10
    02-27-15 08:11 PM
    Should had bought a Classic!

Posted via CB10
    02-27-15 08:33 PM
    Should had bought a Classic!

Posted via CB10
    Yeah because that's really an apples for apples comparison.
    02-27-15 08:56 PM
    The best thing is a holster. Although some may find a holster not very practical for every situation, some also might feel 'uncool' using one... but it is the most ideal way to carry a device of this size. It is also recommended to keep a smartphone at least 1.5cm away from the body. BlackBerry used to suggest a holster for transport in their health and safety literature as the best way, now they just recommend that 1.5cm distance from the body.

Posted via CB10
    02-28-15 05:38 AM
    I believe that the Passport twisted in your front pocket at some point due to being pinched while sitting, torquing and bending the frame and cracking the PCB. Although it may have worked, and perhaps still could work, they aren't going to fix the frame and leave a broken PCB in there because that's not really repaired.
    You must be out of your mind, please tell me do you know the force you would have to put on a phone to get it to bend the way the OP said, it's not aluminium which is a soft metal it's stainless steel, sorry OP I cannot buy your story, based on my education on mechanical engineering I would like someone to replicate this and tell me your verdict.

Early2bed although I understand your hypothesis on this issue it's not realistic, first by explaining the pinching by sitting and what force that it'll generate and the stress the passport would've had to endure before failing due to fatigue, because it is impossible to generate that intact I know you can generate more force by trying to bend the device with your bare hands than the force which would be experienced by the phone being in a front pocket.

As stated in previous replies and posts in the forums, also in real world testing that the Passport is proven to be a robust piece of electronic equipment as was my Z10 which was tipped as cheap plastic and fragile, which was critically exposed as a false unfounded claim based on a chip on the phones surface

@ZEDTROSPEKTIV Via BlackBerry Passport, previous Z10, Bold 9790, Bold 9700, Curve 3G, Curve 8250 (1st BB)
    02-28-15 06:13 AM
    You must be out of your mind, please tell me do you know the force you would have to put on a phone to get it to bend the way the OP said, it's not aluminium which is a soft metal it's stainless steel, sorry OP I cannot buy your story, based on my education on mechanical engineering I would like someone to replicate this and tell me your verdict.

Early2bed although I understand your hypothesis on this issue it's not realistic, first by explaining the pinching by sitting and what force that it'll generate and the stress the passport would've had to endure before failing due to fatigue, because it is impossible to generate that intact I know you can generate more force by trying to bend the device with your bare hands than the force which would be experienced by the phone being in a front pocket.

As stated in previous replies and posts in the forums, also in real world testing that the Passport is proven to be a robust piece of electronic equipment as was my Z10 which was tipped as cheap plastic and fragile, which was critically exposed as a false unfounded claim based on a chip on the phones surface

@ZEDTROSPEKTIV Via BlackBerry Passport, previous Z10, Bold 9790, Bold 9700, Curve 3G, Curve 8250 (1st BB)
    You do realize that there are several people that this has happened to. This isn't some random isolated incident.
    02-28-15 10:41 AM
164 ... 567