I read up to page 3 of this thread.

I wanted to add my story. The other day I was looking at my screen and noticed the corner (just above the "P") was raised up slightly. I am talking 1/16" up to 1/8". From examining it from the side I noticed the phone was "bent", "warped", or twisted". Hard to tell what is going on with such a small flaw. I took the screen and push it back down to normal and it stuck in the proper position. There must be sticky glue or tape under there as when I give it a slight bend in that same spot the screen pops back out the 1/16".

Notes:
    - I position my Passport in the same orientation every day in the same pocket. Top down with screen facing out in my left front pocket. I have the screen facing out as my theory is that the screen would react to my leg through my jean pocket and trigger the unlock swipe.
    - I have the BlackBerry official case on it all the time (Not the flip case, the other one)
    - I work construction and carry my phone with me all the time
    - I am going to test placing the phone in my pocket in another orientation as I suspect the rounded bend from my leg and pants is the same direction as this flaw.
    - I do wear tighter jeans as times. Nothing crazy but somewhat tight.

I'm going to monitor this issue further and see if it gets worse.
    If anyone is wanting picture I will attach if needed. Too lazy to take pictures of it right now
    I love my passport

Anyone have the screen lift in this location? Or can anyone bend their phone at that point and see the lift (if you dare test)?

Thanks,

Brian
    Post some pics man
    01-27-15 04:33 AM
    This is why Apple wins in customer sat. I have seen people break their phones and get a one time customer loyalty replacement, no questions asked.

And hence the loyalty. Blackberry needs to evolve.

Posted via Passport.
    01-27-15 07:03 AM
    @brian4591 - usually it's one of the lower corners that lift. You can see this by doing a search here for screen lifting/splitting. It's fairly common.

Posted via CB10
    01-27-15 08:38 AM
    It's fairly common.

Posted via CB10
    not really
    01-27-15 08:42 AM
    Physical damage or not. I think the poster is willing to pay BlackBerry to get his phone repaired. I think BlackBerry doesn't want to further damage the phone and take the risk.

Posted via CB10
    01-27-15 09:15 AM
    (UPDATE) My Passport bent two months after I got it....-dsc00701-1-.jpg
    (UPDATE) My Passport bent two months after I got it....-dsc00697-1-.jpg

Posted via CB10
    Attached Thumbnails (UPDATE) My Passport bent two months after I got it....-img-20150126-wa004.jpg  
    01-27-15 09:21 AM
    Not too sure how that third picture got in there. Lol

But I can't seem to be able to remove it. Editing only shows two attached pictures.

Posted via CB10
    01-27-15 09:23 AM
    If you think about it there is no force that would be pushing the screen up except bending or twisting. At least there is not enough upward force to separate glue/tape. The body of the phone is being twisted because while the frame is rigid it is on the edges and you can twist the phone without bending the frame much. The screen is not flexible at all and will pull away from the frame in a side-to-side manner which separates the glue/tape so that it will pop up.

If you have the phone in your jeans pocket, I don't think it matters much whether the screen is facing in or out although I would imagine that it is a little more protected from sharp objects if it is inside and that the curve of the back case helps a little if it is facing out.
    Last edited by early2bed; 01-27-15 at 09:45 AM.
    01-27-15 09:32 AM
    That's why I'm not comfortable not using my holster. I noticed that the squareness of the phone gets easily caught in my pocket at times, making it difficult to slide out. I think this puts pressure on the corners of the phone and it pops the bezel on the side eventually.

Posted via CB10
    01-27-15 09:36 AM
    not really
    LOL, OK. Sure it's not. Two cases of this were two too many, there have been many so far reported on CB, and these are the vocal users. Most who experience an issue won't report it.

I got a brand new Red Passport delivered by FedEx yesterday, and the screen already moves up and down at the two lower corners. It's brand new our of the box. Right now it's not detached (technically) but it's certainly well on its way there already. The adhesive is a fraction of a millimeter thick and any "breathing" is a sure sign of a problem.

My other Red Passport is rock solid, no "breathing" of the screen at all. With the Black Passport I already had back in October where the screen separated from the frame and this Red Passport now, that's two that for sure will suffer this fate from a pool of 10-ish. That makes what, 20% of devices?

Even for the good devices, with any torsional twist you are pretty much guaranteed that the screen will eventually come loose from the frame in the lifespan of the device.

Nevertheless, let's just agree to disagree.
    01-27-15 11:30 AM
    The Passport is the first phone I have owned that has ever broken actually. Didn't drop it and was in a case since day 1. It went in my front pocket straight and came out bent one day (a few days after the 30 days were up). I wouldn't feel so bad if I actually did abuse it or drop it and it broke. I honestly don't feel that I did anything that would have warranted it bending.
    It seems a bit unusual tho! I have received some doa's come back and I have tried bending it to see if what people are saying is true!?!?!?

It takes INCREDIBLE force to create a bend in the Passport!? I'm just curious how it was bent that way in your front pocket!?

Posted via CB10
    Hulk123 likes this.
    01-27-15 11:41 AM
    It seems a bit unusual tho! I have received some doa's come back and I have tried bending it to see if what people are saying is true!?!?!?

It takes INCREDIBLE force to create a bend in the Passport!? I'm just curious how it was bent that way in your front pocket!?

Posted via CB10
    The Passport will down the vertical center of the phone with very little effort. It was designed wrong. It doesn't bend in the way you're thinking, it torques and twists. Try laying your Passport face down on a flat surface, you should have a corner or two that isn't touching.

I sent mine back, and now I'm waiting on the ATT version. We'll see if isn't fixed. Unfortunately, I think ATT was right to ask for a redesign (I prefer the original square shape, but I prefer robust industrial design more).

Posted via CB10
    01-27-15 12:10 PM
    There are so many fewer Passports around than iPhones that one Passport bending could be equal to iPhone's bendgate. Only a couple iPhones out of millions bent. The double standard on Crackberry is funny.
    I'm still waiting for my caseless Plus to bend after 4 months of not being dainty with it. It's soooooo easy to happen, right?
    01-27-15 12:16 PM
    LOL, OK. Sure it's not.
    thank you ... but no thank you for spilling out false information....and to go back and correct??
    not very credible if you ask me.

I got a brand new Red Passport delivered by FedEx yesterday,
    is that the 12th unit you have had now?

That makes what, 20% of devices?
    I don't know, is it 20%? or is that a number you feel comfortable with?
    have you accounted for all the PPs made and from there calculated 20% with defects?
    need facts please.

Even for the good devices, with any torsional twist you are pretty much guaranteed that the screen will eventually come loose from the frame in the lifespan of the device.
    of course, when you "torsional twist" a metal object, meaning at this point you have already applied enough torque to twist, it will not bend back on its own.

why on earth would anyone twist an electronic device with that much applied torque?

Nevertheless, let's just agree to disagree.
    ...and add another bump to these types of threads !
    mister2d likes this.
    01-27-15 12:20 PM
    I don't find their customer service abysmal. My dad had sent them a Bold 9000 that had sopped working and wrote them a letter about how much he loved the phone and just wanted them to fix it and he would be willing to pay whatever it cost to fix it. They sent him back a brand new Bold 9900 (this was 2 years ago) with a response saying , "Thanks for being a loyal customer. If you loved the 9000, you will love the 9900 even more. Cheers!" I just about cried that they would be so kind to my 68 year old dad. Blackberry will forever have my loyalty because of that act of kindness.
    So good

Posted via CB10
    Suraj Jadhav likes this.
    01-27-15 12:25 PM
    why on earth would anyone twist an electronic device with that much applied torque?
    All you have to do is fix one end of the passport such as pinning it in you jeans pocket against your thigh. Then apply some uneven pressure to the other end such squatting down. If you push on one corner more than the other then you are twisting the device. Repeat. Repeat. Some people have said that they heard a pop. I would guess that's the rigid screen breaking the glue bond and pulling off the bezel. Now the device twists more easily. It probably wouldn't matter much to most users except for the screen corner popping up.
    brian4591 likes this.
    01-27-15 12:27 PM
    To be honest, just by looking at the design, it doesn't seem like it takes that much force to twist it. There's that gap for the micro USB port.

(UPDATE) My Passport bent two months after I got it....-blackberry_passport_construction_small.jpg
    01-27-15 12:44 PM
    All you have to do is fix one end of the passport such as pinning it in you jeans pocket against your thigh. Then apply some uneven pressure to the other end such squatting down. If you push on one corner more than the other then you are twisting the device. Repeat. Repeat. Some people have said that they heard a pop. I would guess that's the rigid screen breaking the glue bond and pulling off the bezel. Now the device twists more easily. It probably wouldn't matter much to most users except for the screen corner popping up.
    I just sent back a Passport that had bend to it. No pop. No real damage that couldn't be fixed with some correction by hand. Just sick of every Passport bending when I blow on it.

Background: recovering from surgery. Basically wearing soft loose fitting pants or flannel pajama pants. Passport is in an OEM shell. I'm taken in for a check up. Passport in front pocket for two hours. I get home, and sure enough it's bent. Flat surface test. I'm moving around gingerly, very loose pants, Passport is torqued. Front pocket. I'm not a big guy. Absolutely crazy how easy this thing is to bend.

Now it's not real damage, but over the course of a year...

Posted via CB10
    Suraj Jadhav likes this.
    01-27-15 12:44 PM
    I guess holding or putting in my pocket are out of the question.

oh well, it was fun while it lasted.

Thanks for the factual info !
    01-27-15 12:48 PM
    I guess holding or putting in my pocket are out of the question.

oh well, it was fun while it lasted.

Thanks for the factual info !
    If you've had the Passport for any length of time, do the flat surface test.

Just try it. I'd bet most of the Passports out there are bent. It's not obvious, but it's there.

Posted via CB10
    01-27-15 10:56 PM
    I just did. Completely flat, no bend at all.

Posted via CB10
    01-27-15 11:48 PM
    I just did as well... completely flat.

Have had since it was launched. Just the one unit.
    01-28-15 06:53 AM
    What you are crying at? You bent it! Warranty void! End of story

A Happy Passport User....
    You'd be great at either Public Relations or Customer Service oh and perhaps a Grief Counselor. Lol

" I do not think that word means what you think it means. "
    01-28-15 08:56 PM
    All these consumer protection laws cost money. The 95% or so of the population that will never use such a law are paying for the few percent who may. In the U.S., the first place I see the difference is immediately up front with the cost of devices. Much more expensive in European countries then the price I pay for my devices, electronics, and other "hard goods". Usually no sales tax at all here if shipped out of state through the internet (although unfortunately that may be changing- but hey, 3-8% isn't bad!) Low shipping charges if any at all. In most Euro countries, there are crazy VAT taxes, fees, duties, etc. in addition to shipping. Add to that higher income taxes and other taxes. Gas here is now under $2.50/ gallon.
    I understand obviously most all of these charges go to other government programs, but nobody gets something for nothing.
    We have options here such as aftermarket insurance policies that are very competitively priced. That and a little care and responsibility go a long way.
    You Sir get my applause and a free copy of "Economics in One Lesson " by Hazlitt for your shelf! So many in Europe don't realize that they are already paying through the nose for what they are getting. The government giveth because it has already taken away.

garpt and Tim_treo like this.
    01-28-15 09:11 PM
    I've read this entire thread backwards and forward at least twice.

My first comment is to lament of the seemingly collective loss of the ability to have a discussion and stay on point. OP's main point WAS NOT ABOUT THE BEND. It was about SENDING IN A WORKING DEVICE AND RECEIVING BACK A NON-WORKING DEVICE. That is where OP's major umbrage is incurred.

There seems to be more than a little CYA occurring on the part of the repair facility. I believe OP. He never tried to hide the bending of the device.

The screen capture from the Globe and Mail video CLEARLY shows "torsional twist " is attainable and it was done by a person with just her hands.

As chflower and Early2 bed mentioned, the AT&T redesign is about a lot more than aesthetics. The added curvature should directly address the twist defect. Oh and yes, it is a design defect. Full disclosure, I prefer the square Passport far more in terms of looks.

early2bed likes this.
    01-28-15 10:00 PM
164 ... 4567