This is the part that bothers me the most.

I know two people that had bent iPhones. They were immediately replaced by Apple no questions, no extra cost.
    Bingo. So here it is. Prosumer, corporate, or Joe six pack consumer. This is what customers aren't getting from BlackBerry. If I was an enterprise customer, if even be more sensitive to this, so the excuse "we're focused on enterprise now" isn't, its an even bigger bell ringing.

I'll tell you this, my z30 is likely the end of the line for me....Because I'm not just buying the BlackBerry itself , I'm buying who's behind it, and I don't like what I'm seeing anymore in BlackBerry land. This poor user spent $600 in the expectation that a phone can go in a pocket and not go bad, OR not have its makers back him up.

Make no mistake, it saddens me deeply. I have a long history with BlackBerry devices.

The energy spent here criticizing this customer,needs to be applied to the vendor instead. Because if those of you blinded by blunt loyalty don't, you'll be the few last of the customers left.....

Posted via CB10
    01-10-15 07:01 PM
    Not just Apple stands behind their products. GooglePlay replaced my damaged Nexus twice.
    BigPlayChad8 likes this.
    01-10-15 08:08 PM
    I can't fathom this bent passport concept. I've tried giving my passport a good bend and the thing feels solid as hell. Most phones will creak or give a little. This thing won't budge. That's a terrible thing to happen to this model

Posted via CB10
    01-10-15 08:08 PM
    Bingo.

The energy spent here criticizing this customer,needs to be applied to the vendor instead. Because if those of you blinded by blunt loyalty don't, you'll be the few last of the customers left.....

Posted via CB10
    As a new Blackberry customer, I don't see this as blind brand loyalty. Most of the posters (including myself) question the OP's version of the events. I am not saying he is lying; what I do believe though is that the phone was subjected to a strong force which caused it to bend. Perhaps he ran into something, leaned his weight against the edge of a table with it in his pocket etc... and didn't recall, I don't know exactly. I've broken stuff without realizing it before too. What I do know is that stainless steel will not bend unless it's subjected to a large force.

Look at the posted pictures. That is bent steel bar, and it's bent across the wide dimension of the bar, about 5mm worth of steel, not the 2mm or so of the bar's thickness. Further, the way it's bent, it's not a case of a torsional strain on the device either. Also judging from the pictures, there doesn't appear to be any obvious manufacturing defect with the steel bars. Moreover, it's also not some sort of viscoelastic effect. At ordinary temperatures, stainless steel exhibits very little viscoelasticity and its behavior will still be described by the elastic region of the stress - strain curve. (In laymen's terms, a small force applied for a long period of time can cause a viscoelastic material to bend with time. Stainless steel is not very viscoelastic at normal temperatures though and doesn't do this.) Simply put, it's very probable a large force was applied to this phone, despite the OP's protestations.

Blackberry should probably comp him a free phone for customer relations purposes I guess. It sucks to deal with the public, but you can be wrong even when technically you're right.

In the end, none of this reflects on the build quality of the Passport. For anyone reading this thread and worrying about getting a Passport, it's a very solid device in my opinion.
    01-10-15 08:24 PM
    From post #29:

How can Dejahn have gotten like 25 replacements (due to bends, screen separation, dust in screen, uneven keyboard lighting, keys not clicking nicely, camera focus mechanism rattling around, slow electrons, etc. etc.) for the span of three months and the OP can't seem to get one?
    For those who question BlackBerry's customer service, how exactly did the above happen? BlackBerry has been replacing Passports for lesser issues, so why discriminate against this one user? It doesn't make any sense.
    01-10-15 08:33 PM
    Bingo. So here it is. Prosumer, corporate, or Joe six pack consumer. This is what customers aren't getting from BlackBerry. If I was an enterprise customer, if even be more sensitive to this, so the excuse "we're focused on enterprise now" isn't, its an even bigger bell ringing.

I'll tell you this, my z30 is likely the end of the line for me....Because I'm not just buying the BlackBerry itself , I'm buying who's behind it, and I don't like what I'm seeing anymore in BlackBerry land. This poor user spent $600 in the expectation that a phone can go in a pocket and not go bad, OR not have its makers back him up.

Make no mistake, it saddens me deeply. I have a long history with BlackBerry devices.

Posted via CB10
    Could it be that Apple replaces their bent iPhones because they know (in Apple's case) it's not the consumer but themselves (the company) that is at fault for having made a weak phone, that bends (iPhone 6 Plus)? BlackBerry is making quality products with the BlackBerry Passport. If you actually believe that BlackBerry will not help those they deem worthy of a new phone or replacement after having inspected it. Ye of little faith. Move on. In this case they deemed it the customers fault. I'm sure they have valid reasons. Most of us agree it is unfortunate for the customer in this case (**** happens). Although I do feel for the customer, I'm not prepared to blame BlackBerry. It's not as if BlackBerry refused to inspect the phone. They concluded based on their findings (which none of us know the specifics of, other than the story here). There is always two sides to a story.
    Last edited by Skyforever; 01-10-15 at 10:04 PM.
    01-10-15 08:39 PM
    This is the part that bothers me the most.

I know two people that had bent iPhones. They were immediately replaced by Apple no questions, no extra cost.
    The difference being it is easy to bend an iPhone6 and requires excessive force on the Passport. I am not convinced Apple would fix for free something done by excessive force. That being said with over 100B in the bank and the highest profit margins in the history on hw affords them the ability to replace phones under more conditions. Basically every iPhone owner pays a premium for such service.

Posted CB10->BB Passport
    01-10-15 10:17 PM
    Sounds it's gone, phone, money, motivation...

Good as warning for us.

Posted via CB10
    01-11-15 02:22 AM

Blackberry should probably comp him a free phone for customer relations purposes I guess. It sucks to deal with the public, but you can be wrong even when technically you're right.

In the end, none of this reflects on the build quality of the Passport. For anyone reading this thread and worrying about getting a Passport, it's a very solid device in my opinion.
    Blackberry is a $4B corporation with a serious image problem.
    Replace the da*n phone and be done with it.
    BigPlayChad8 likes this.
    01-11-15 10:55 PM
    Where's the pictures
    01-11-15 11:09 PM
    There are known unknowns. Yours is one!

Posted via CB10
    01-11-15 11:20 PM
    I can't fathom this bent passport concept. I've tried giving my passport a good bend and the thing feels solid as hell. Most phones will creak or give a little. This thing won't budge. That's a terrible thing to happen to this model

Posted via CB10
    It bends easily along the central verical axis. It twists actually--torsion. It takes almost no strength to unbend the phone, but at the same time almost no effort or negligence to bend it in the first place!

It's a design flaw, there should have been considerations in place for how much leverage there is naturally built into a phone of this size. And with no bracing or continuous steel frame along the bottom edge of the phone (or internally), you're going to have issues where the frame of the phone wants to "walk". The top is like the hips, the sides are like legs, and the bottom is like two separate feet attached to those legs. What's happening is that the phone is basically wanting to walk.

Posted via CB10
    01-12-15 08:45 AM
    Funny analogy but very true. Again, I identified the torsional weakness when I disassembled my Passport with a split screen back in mid-October, and I warned that it will happen to others. I will say though that the bend shown in this thread is not the same. This isn't a torsional bend. BlackBerry should have replaced it nevertheless for good PR. It's just one phone.

Posted via CB10
    BigPlayChad8 likes this.
    01-12-15 09:45 AM
    Where's the pictures
    In my original post, I linked a previous thread that had an album full of images in them.

Here is the link to the album BBent - Imgur
    01-12-15 11:25 AM
    Only to bend again.....then customer is like, well was this my fault or is the next one going to bend too?

Posted from a Z30. Get one!
    01-12-15 12:15 PM
    How did you purchase the phone? Reason I ask is that both of my credit cards have 90-day coverage on new purchases so I would be covered if this happened to me.

Sorry if someone has already mentioned this, I scanned through the thread and didn't see anything.
    01-12-15 02:07 PM
    In my original post, I linked a previous thread that had an album full of images in them.

what have you done about your problem since getting your phone back? have you tried to contact where you bought the phone from and not the manufacturer? Have you tried to fix it yourself?

This thread means nothing if you aren't actively trying to work towards a solution to your problem and are just venting.
    01-12-15 02:10 PM

Also, I am using a 6Plus which is supposedly Bend Happy, i keep it in my front pocket all the time and I have no bend. I'm really curious to see if your model is a defective model, or if something you did caused the bend. I had a Passport for a couple of days and the phone was a beast for durability IMO.
    01-12-15 02:13 PM
    The video bending is not accurate of the force in a front pocket. When in a front pocket, with somewhat tight jeans, the force will be diagonal and is, I would assume, more susceptible to bending. I know this because I kept my Passport in my front jeans pocket while working on a trailer. A lot of kneeling down, leaning over, standing, kneeling etc. My Passport did, albeit very slightly, bend. Fortunately, I was able to bend it back, almost true and no longer keep it in the front pocket of my somewhat tighter fitting jeans. I did have a case on it at the time. I actually think the case may have contributed to the bending since the case made the corners somewhat more prominent. Where as without a case, it is sleeker.
    brian4591 likes this.
    01-13-15 05:29 PM
    The video bending is not accurate of the force in a front pocket. When in a front pocket, with somewhat tight jeans, the force will be diagonal and is, I would assume, more susceptible to bending. I know this because I kept my Passport in my front jeans pocket while working on a trailer. A lot of kneeling down, leaning over, standing, kneeling etc. My Passport did, albeit very slightly, bend. Fortunately, I was able to bend it back, almost true and no longer keep it in the front pocket of my somewhat tighter fitting jeans. I did have a case on it at the time. I actually think the case may have contributed to the bending since the case made the corners somewhat more prominent. Where as without a case, it is sleeker.
    Interesting... you put your Passport in your front pocket of "somewhat tight jeans" to work on a trailer. With a case on it.

Bending phones aside. That just sounds very uncomfortable. Why put yourself through that? lol
    20degrees likes this.
    01-13-15 06:04 PM
    It was a fairly thin silicone case. Just habbit...was expecting a work call and didn't want to leave it out of bluetooth range.

Posted via CB10
    01-14-15 07:13 AM
    Sounds like to me that big phones or electronics require big responsibility. Stuffing them into pants pockets is not responsible and not something anyone is going to take responsibility for, sadly. Even small phones like a Palm Pre Plus in a front pocket could get its screen cracked if some pressure was put on the pocket....while working... was it my fault?
    01-14-15 07:20 AM
    Sounds like to me that big phones or electronics require big responsibility. Stuffing them into pants pockets is not responsible and not something anyone is going to take responsibility for, sadly. Even small phones like a Palm Pre Plus in a front pocket could get its screen cracked if some pressure was put on the pocket....while working... was it my fault?
    For passport, you should not bring it in your front pocket regardless what kind of pants you wear... it will always twist without any significant pressure. It is simply not designed to carry in pants in any pocket. It's too big and poorly designed for the size. At least other android phablets that I had never had this issue. Since I never had such issue with my phablets, I was laughing hard at apple when their new phablet(iphone 6+) bent.

Now I have a laughable blackberry on my hand.

Here I'm not talking about tight jean, or significant pressure(that can crack palm pre screen crack or iphone bent) applied onto it. Just loose pants with several kneeling a day can be a problem. Now I'm thinking to get the holster for my belt. It will probably help to carry this fragile one without damaging it. It is the most fragile blackberry that I ever owned.

Due to too many twisting and twisting back, now my phone is slightly warped overall.. and I can not bring the shape back to the perfect shape.
    It's not that noticeable unless I closely look into it, but it is clearly warped for others eyes if I ask them to check... sigh

Posted via CB10
    brian4591 likes this.
    01-14-15 07:41 AM
    Because the device is constructed in layers, as it is twisted back and forth and will retain the latest shape based on the friction between the layers. However, that can't go on very long without reducing the friction so that it won't retain its shape. I believe the screen popping off is an extreme result of this as the glass is on the outside and will not stretch so the glue is actually not just holding the screen down but maintaining tension on the X axis - it's being pulled side to side.

The screen is actually a significant part of what keeps the device from twisting kind of like the glass in a picture frame - without it you don't have much rigidity.

I don't know how long it really takes for the glue to cure but any twisting done before it's fully cured is going to be more of a problem. If you have a new Passport, make sure this doesn't happen in the first few weeks after build. I guess that heat also weakens the glue.
    brian4591 likes this.
    01-14-15 08:08 AM
    I read up to page 3 of this thread.

I wanted to add my story. The other day I was looking at my screen and noticed the corner (just above the "P") was raised up slightly. I am talking 1/16" up to 1/8". From examining it from the side I noticed the phone was "bent", "warped", or twisted". Hard to tell what is going on with such a small flaw. I took the screen and push it back down to normal and it stuck in the proper position. There must be sticky glue or tape under there as when I give it a slight bend in that same spot the screen pops back out the 1/16".

Notes:
    - I position my Passport in the same orientation every day in the same pocket. Top down with screen facing out in my left front pocket. I have the screen facing out as my theory is that the screen would react to my leg through my jean pocket and trigger the unlock swipe.
    - I have the BlackBerry official case on it all the time (Not the flip case, the other one)
    - I work construction and carry my phone with me all the time
    - I am going to test placing the phone in my pocket in another orientation as I suspect the rounded bend from my leg and pants is the same direction as this flaw.
    - I do wear tighter jeans as times. Nothing crazy but somewhat tight.

I'm going to monitor this issue further and see if it gets worse.
    If anyone is wanting picture I will attach if needed. Too lazy to take pictures of it right now
    I love my passport

Anyone have the screen lift in this location? Or can anyone bend their phone at that point and see the lift (if you dare test)?

Thanks,

Brian
    01-26-15 11:02 PM
164 ... 34567