Anyway what country is this happening in? Any customer protection measures there or just Wild West.

In my country as in most other European
    I would have claimed the phone not fit for purpose (cause it bent in the front pocket where it was reasonably expected to be worn as most people do) and would get it repaired or exchanged. That's the duty of the seller and not OEM. And you have 2 years to claim, so for 2 years the seller is responsible for your product to behave the way it should. And it doesn't matter if OEM warranties the phone for 1 year only
    All these consumer protection laws cost money. The 95% or so of the population that will never use such a law are paying for the few percent who may. In the U.S., the first place I see the difference is immediately up front with the cost of devices. Much more expensive in European countries then the price I pay for my devices, electronics, and other "hard goods". Usually no sales tax at all here if shipped out of state through the internet (although unfortunately that may be changing- but hey, 3-8% isn't bad!) Low shipping charges if any at all. In most Euro countries, there are crazy VAT taxes, fees, duties, etc. in addition to shipping. Add to that higher income taxes and other taxes. Gas here is now under $2.50/ gallon.
    I understand obviously most all of these charges go to other government programs, but nobody gets something for nothing.
    We have options here such as aftermarket insurance policies that are very competitively priced. That and a little care and responsibility go a long way.
    zlatno, Just TM and Tim_treo like this.
    01-09-15 09:09 AM
    All these consumer protection laws cost money. The 95% or so of the population that will never use such a law are paying for the few percent who may. In the U.S., the first place I see the difference is immediately up front with the cost of devices. Much more expensive in European countries then the price I pay for my devices, electronics, and other "hard goods". Usually no sales tax at all here if shipped out of state through the internet (although unfortunately that may be changing- but hey, 3-8% isn't bad!) Low shipping charges if any at all. In most Euro countries, there are crazy VAT taxes, fees, duties, etc. in addition to shipping. Add to that higher income taxes and other taxes. Gas here is now under $2.50/ gallon.
    I understand obviously most all of these charges go to other government programs, but nobody gets something for nothing.
    We have options here such as aftermarket insurance policies that are very competitively priced. That and a little care and responsibility go a long way.
    Different countries/cultures, different models of taxation and government intervention. Europe has some of the highest sales taxes in the developed world, but definitely NOT the highest rates of taxation for middle incomes - and definitely not the highest corporation taxes either. Must point out that for the real high earners being in the US is really tax efficient (unfortunately I have never fallen into this category!).
    01-09-15 09:33 AM
    Gas is under $2.00 gallon where I'm at.... Yet all these companies are still charging fuel surcharges. And there is worry about with the lower gas prices that tax revenues are way down.
    sk8er_tor likes this.
    01-09-15 09:37 AM
    Physical damage is NEVER covered under warranty. There's no possible way the device bent on its own without some kind of force exerted so of course they won't cover this type of damage under warranty. Manufacturer warranty only covers manufacturer defects and this doesn't just apply to BlackBerry but pretty much every manufacturer.

Anyway, the only advice I have for the OP is that if you paid with a credit card, some cards have insurance covering accidental damage within the first 90 days. You should check right away to see if your credit card has any coverage.
    zlatno, BigPlayChad8 and ultra07 like this.
    01-09-15 09:46 AM
    Physical damage is NEVER covered under warranty. There's no possible way the device bent on its own without some kind of force exerted so of course they won't cover this type of damage under warranty. Manufacturer warranty only covers manufacturer defects and this doesn't just apply to BlackBerry but pretty much every manufacturer.

Anyway, the only advice I have for the OP is that if you paid with a credit card, some cards have insurance covering accidental damage within the first 90 days. You should check right away to see if your credit card has any coverage.
    Agree with you..why should BlackBerry responsible for a customer mistakes? LOL

Posted via CB10
    zlatno, mk2234 and ultra07 like this.
    01-09-15 10:00 AM
    I don't think it's unreasonable to put a phone in your front pocket and expect it not to bend especially for a device touted as unbendable and extremely well built. In any case, nothing wrong with contacting Blackberry either to see if they will replace a bent device when it was stored in a place where people usually store their phones.
    Not unreasonable?!? No one really knows how the Passport ended up bent. OP also said he had a case on it. There is NO WAY that it was bent without excessive force. Why would BB replace a phone that the OP bent?
    TBone4eva, mk2234 and ultra07 like this.
    01-09-15 10:17 AM
    Hmmm...

I'm thinking there's more to this story. I can't see how you would bend a Passport without exerting a significant amount of force....like maybe in a vice or your back pocket and then sitting on it. Also, can't rule out some other contributing factors like intoxicants and/or some adolescent experimentation to see what it would take to bend a Blackberry.......congratulations, now you know ! In any case, sorry dude not a warranty issue.

Like I said, I'm thinking part of the story is missing.
    I am thirty years old with a wife and two daughters. I don't drink nor ever have. I have told my whole story. I honestly wouldn't feel so bad if I knew I did something out of the ordinary to bend it, but I don't feel that I did.
    01-09-15 12:09 PM
    This had to be a Chinese passport, I am currently looking at my passport and cannot figure out how to bend it, had to be a fraud.
    01-09-15 12:51 PM
    Don't buy geek squad protection from best buy and expect them to honor it. My son bought an HTC and the protection. Phone was 2 months old and he broke the screen while it was in his pocket. The screen shattered but phone would still turn on. Best Buy wouldn't honor the repair device protection policy he bought saying the phone was 'too broken'. And they refused to cancel the monthly charge for the protection plan! We will never buy anything from best buy EVER!!

Posted via CB10
    ultra07 and BigPlayChad8 like this.
    01-09-15 01:01 PM
    This wasn't BlackBerry's fault, so I'm not sure why you assumed they would just replace it?

Your picture shows it was bent pretty badly.
    You admitted putting it in your front jeans pocket, which is by no means a "safe" means of storage for such a large device. (unless you have legs that aren't rounded like most of us)

No manufacturer is going to cover damage that is cause by the users. Heck even the iPhone bending issues, isn't really Apple's fault in my view... the bigger the device, the more suitable it will be to bending... unless they make it thicker.

But thanks for helping others to understand that you have to be careful with expensive electronic devices, and the insurance really is a good idea.
    I think a the front pocket is a reasonable place to keep a mobile phone. Therefore, I don't think it is reasonable for it to bend in a place it was appropriate for it to be. That is why I was hoping for a replacement.

Additionally, while bent, the phone still functioned as normal. They told me the PCB (printed circuit board) warped leading to my phone not working. My phone was fully functional (although not as aesthetically pleasing as it was originally) when I sent it to them. If it no longer functions when I get it returned to me, most people would agree would be unacceptable.

Many people I know, many people in these very comments even, have sent the phone in for the camera or usb port not working and have been given replacements. My father recently received a replacement because his phone was getting a bit hotter than it should.

If I don't get this resolved, I am going to be permanently done with Blackberry. As someone who has influence over hundreds of people and the devices they use, this is not a great move for Blackberry, but honestly, in the past few years, what has been?
    flyingsolid likes this.
    01-09-15 01:08 PM

I believe my credit card does have this protection, I only paid for about a third of it with the credit card, and used saved up Amazon cards for the rest. I wonder what will happen.
    01-09-15 01:13 PM
    Yep - in England you have up to SIX years to return an item for replacement or refund (or partial refund) if the item is "not of satisfactory quality". However, the seller is not bound to give you a replacement or refund if you have damaged the item by: fair wear and tear, accidental damage, etc
    Absolutely. I'm not saying the OP would have won such a case. A lot would depend on the seller, but at least he would have another way to fight his case.
    Anyway seems like he's from US so it all doesn't matter to him.
    01-09-15 01:22 PM
    Not unreasonable?!? No one really knows how the Passport ended up bent. OP also said he had a case on it.
    No it's not unreasonable. I've always put all my phones in my front pocket. And what case out there does not bend? If anything is obvious, the phone did not bend from impact (this is what cases are usually good for). If the case was on, then the case bent with the phone.

There is NO WAY that it was bent without excessive force.
    That's never been a question. The phone is bent. No need to keep pointing that out like it's some sort of breakthrough.

Why would BB replace a phone that the OP bent?
    BB didn't replace the phone as OP already said. Only problem is the phone was working when he sent it to Blackberry and now Blackberry is saying it's not working. Would you kindly stop acting like OP is a criminal. I thought this was a place to help each other out.
    01-09-15 01:28 PM
    Pictures would be nice. Can you take some pictures and upload them so we can see?
    .im curious as well!!!?

Posted via CB10
    01-09-15 01:35 PM
    My guess is that the returned phone will work when returned. However, there's no way they were go.ing to commit to any working order with a cracked board. They will log the unit as broken so as to preclude any other claim. It's the only logical thing to do on their part.

There was obviously some twisting force applied to the device but I don't think it takes nearly as much as people think around here. Just look at the square steel frame on the diagrams. The weak link is to torque about the Y axis.
    Last edited by early2bed; 01-09-15 at 02:21 PM.
    chflower and LoneStarRed like this.
    01-09-15 01:41 PM
    I don't have a passport.. but i've had one in my hand. I really don't know how anyone could bend it in a pocket. And i'm a fat dude. lol

Someone want to do a video testing the pocket passport bend test? I could see it blowing your pocket out before it bends.

But anyways,, i feel your pain. Just the thought of doing any damage to my Z30 makes me cry.
    zlatno, mister2d and BigPlayChad8 like this.
    01-09-15 01:48 PM
    If it was bent and working at a minimum it should be returned to the OP the same way!

Posted via CB10
    LoneStarRed and chflower like this.
    01-09-15 01:53 PM
    I think a the front pocket is a reasonable place to keep a mobile phone. Therefore, I don't think it is reasonable for it to bend in a place it was appropriate for it to be. That is why I was hoping for a replacement.

Additionally, while bent, the phone still functioned as normal. They told me the PCB (printed circuit board) warped leading to my phone not working. My phone was fully functional (although not as aesthetically pleasing as it was originally) when I sent it to them. If it no longer functions when I get it returned to me, most people would agree would be unacceptable.

Many people I know, many people in these very comments even, have sent the phone in for the camera or usb port not working and have been given replacements. My father recently received a replacement because his phone was getting a bit hotter than it should.

If I don't get this resolved, I am going to be permanently done with Blackberry. As someone who has influence over hundreds of people and the devices they use, this is not a great move for Blackberry, but honestly, in the past few years, what has been?
    It's unfortunate this happened to your phone. My Passport has been very tough. I've been wearing it in my front jean pockets most of the time. It has been dropped at least tens times, and unlike your phone mine has never had a case. So in my experience the Passport has been a great quality product. Having said that I do plan to get a case for it, in fact I'm waiting for one that has been ordered online.

As for your intent if you don't get this resolved...?

This will not change the fact that BlackBerry does put out a quality product in the Passport. Your experience has been way off the norm.

your quote: "...this is not a great move for Blackberry, but honestly, in the past few years, what has been? "

In the past few years with the exception of the past year. Under John Chen, BlackBerry has "Awakened". There are reasons to believe this is just the beginning to something more special. BlackBerry moving forward with the internet of things is huge. It is an exciting time for BlackBerry and its' users. Hope you find happiness with your future choice of platform and company service. Sorry for your loss, and your bad experience.
    01-09-15 01:59 PM

I put my Z10 in my front jeans pocket also... most times it's not a problem. But I've a couple of times forgotten it's there and then bent a certain way and heard a "creak".. and I think I need to stop putting it in my pocket. The Passport is MUCH larger and as such would have much more force applied to the corners as your jeans are stretched to conform to the circumference of your leg.

While your or I might feel it is natural to put a phone in our jeans pocket... that doesn't mean either of us are right or that it was designed to resist those forces.

USB Port... I had two PlayBook that were "replaced" under warranty. Getting hot, might be a manufacturing defect. Until you and others prove that there is a defect in the Passport's design that make it overly susceptible to bending... I don't see that you can claim it as a defect that you applied too much force.

FYI... I if you don't want to lose your "influence" over all those hundreds of people... I'd keep this story to myself. Or they'll start looking at you much differently then they do now.

A front Jeans pocket is NOT a safe location to store such a large device.
    nolimits7 likes this.
    01-09-15 02:19 PM
    I still don't fully believe your story lmao
    Too many holes in the plot

Peace

Posted via CB10
    01-09-15 02:34 PM
    I don't have a passport.. but i've had one in my hand. I really don't know how anyone could bend it in a pocket. And i'm a fat dude. lol

Someone want to do a video testing the pocket passport bend test? I could see it blowing your pocket out before it bends.

But anyways,, i feel your pain. Just the thought of doing any damage to my Z30 makes me cry.
    01-09-15 02:41 PM
    Yes.. thanks.. i have seen this before. But i still don't know how this guy had the passport in his front pocket and bent it. Like i said.. i can see the passport blowing out your pocket before bending.
    01-09-15 02:54 PM
    In this video, they are clearly able to get the chassis to flex, but it returns to its original shape after. I'm sure if it is flexed (in a pocket) for an extended period of time, its ability to return to shape would be reduced, no?

01-09-15 03:09 PM
    Yes.. thanks.. i have seen this before. But i still don't know how this guy had the passport in his front pocket and bent it. Like i said.. i can see the passport blowing out your pocket before bending.
    Indeed. I just provided it to show scale. There's probably more force here than what you can generate in [admittedly] loose pockets.
    newfie1974 likes this.
    01-09-15 03:11 PM
    Indeed. I just provided it to show scale. There's probably more force here than what you can generate in [admittedly] loose pockets.
    I'm sure anything is possible. But if a person does drop their phone.. sits on it.. or runs it over with a tank.. its not up to BB to fix it. The passport is more of a weapon then something that would bend in your pocket i think. lol
    01-09-15 03:20 PM
164 12345 ...