Sorry to hear that... you were not lucky in bending it. If you look at drop tests on youtube, some guys throw them 10 meters high and the phone only has some little scratch and the screen is still unbroken. I wish blackberry would take care of their customers better than that. At least offering a substancial rebate if it is your fault for the bending and if you have to buy a new one.

Posted via CB10
    01-08-15 09:29 PM
    I believe that the Passport twisted in your front pocket at some point due to being pinched while sitting, torquing and bending the frame and cracking the PCB. Although it may have worked, and perhaps still could work, they aren't going to fix the frame and leave a broken PCB in there because that's not really repaired.
    01-08-15 09:32 PM
    Ripleys believe it or not........ I do miss that show.
    01-08-15 09:33 PM
    How can Dejahn have gotten like 25 replacements (due to bends, screen separation, dust in screen, uneven keyboard lighting, keys not clicking nicely, camera focus mechanism rattling around, slow electrons, etc. etc.) for the span of three months and the OP can't seem to get one?

Good luck OP, hope you work something out or find an affordable alternative.

Posted via CB10
    01-08-15 10:09 PM
    How in the world did you bend it??? Unintended roughness damages the phone and isn't covered under the warranty.
    It is, but according to BB a "bent" phone isn't normal wear and tear. If Best Buy ever gets ahold of the Classic I'll purchase from them and buy the Geek Squad warranty as it covers user-inflicted damages and water accidents.

OP, I would keep trying if I were you. "Economically viable" sounds like a bunch of who shot John to me.
    01-08-15 10:45 PM
    I dont know how you use it, as i know this passport is hard like a rock, even when you put in your front pocket...
    01-08-15 11:31 PM
    OP's phone was in working condition when it was sent to Blackberry. It would be nice if future posts were more focused on at least getting that much back for OP instead of insults and other useless posts. Hopefully OP has proof it was working at the time it was sent.
    01-08-15 11:42 PM
    The ironic part is, if you'd said the camera or something wasn't working, they would have probably just replaced the device instead of repairing it.

I've had my Passport warranty repaired, as well as my Q10 I got from Shop BlackBerry, and both times they just send a new device, it's a new pin and everything.

Posted via CB10
    01-08-15 11:52 PM
    Just got off the phone with them. Said they wouldn't or couldn't fix it. They didn't even give me a price to fix it, just offered to scrap it for me or send it back.

I think (wish) they should just give me another one, keep a loyal customer.
    As much as I love BlackBerry and their keyboards, they're quality control and customer service is abysmal.

Posted via CB10
    tuxedo323 likes this.
    01-09-15 12:30 AM
    As much as I love BlackBerry and their keyboards, they're quality control and customer service is abysmal.

Posted via CB10
    I totally agree the phones are amazing and beautiful but customer service sucks

Z30STA100-3/10.2.1.3289
    01-09-15 12:37 AM
    What you are crying at? You bent it! Warranty void! End of story

A Happy Passport User....
    01-09-15 01:33 AM
    So, i hope you learned to be careful next time...
    FairlightRacing and ultra07 like this.
    01-09-15 01:40 AM
    OP's phone was in working condition when it was sent to Blackberry. It would be nice if future posts were more focused on at least getting that much back for OP instead of insults and other useless posts. Hopefully OP has proof it was working at the time it was sent.
    The bold part above ^^^
    +
    In the original thread (closed now) OP did put up pictures of the phone. The frame was bent and the phone was working.

CB10 @ Q5
    01-09-15 01:56 AM
    I always wear my Passport in my jeans pocket and walk more than a 2 hours a day around and outside and use it when it came out and I don't get it how you get it bend.

Like in the close thread I told everyone we had in store a Passport that was dead and beyond repair (toilet water) .

I'm doing some lifting and push up 80-90 kilo depends how my day is and I really could bend it a little but it doens't crack or whatever and it goes back in shape like it was, but it is possible if you do you best to get to screen moving from the body but that takes a lot of pressure and if you do that serveral times you finally get the screen more lose but that is after I torture it for science.

In normal use it will not bend like a iphone from a friend of mine. thank to walking and biking like me. His iphone was bend more and more after weeks and he is not the only one.
    torco3 likes this.
    01-09-15 02:04 AM
    Thank god mine only goes in my jacket pocket.

Pretty amazed it bent that easily - it feels like a rock-solid device. Think the OP was just unlucky and somehow found a 'sweet spot' where that was actually possible...

BlackBerry don't seem particularly good with the concept of 'goodwill' these days.

Posted via CB10
    BigPlayChad8 likes this.
    01-09-15 02:37 AM
    You can always sell it on eBay as 'Slightly Used'
    01-09-15 04:06 AM
    The ironic part is, if you'd said the camera or something wasn't working, they would have probably just replaced the device instead of repairing it.

I've had my Passport warranty repaired, as well as my Q10 I got from Shop BlackBerry, and both times they just send a new device, it's a new pin and everything.

Posted via CB10
    Yeah. I was hoping this would happen.
    jojo beaconsfield likes this.
    01-09-15 05:44 AM
    As much as I feel for the OP, it does come down to this:

If the device is bent, an excessive force must have been applied. I work in the smartphone industry and I've seen warped iPhone 6 units, but I've tried my hardest to bend a Passport with no luck. There's no way a Passport will just bend without huge force. Yes, it could happen in your pocket if you have tight jeans and somehow place immense stress on the part of the pocket where the phone is I guess.

Regardless, BlackBerry have chosen not to cover this by warranty - meaning they deem it user fault. Otherwise they would simply replace it. Again, in my line of work we've seen hundreds of replaced BlackBerry devices. They even replace some which are borderline user abuse, so for them to reject this replacement it must have seemed obvious to them that it was not a device defect.

I'm certainly not blaming the OP here, but just explaining what seems to have occurred.

If there was a trend of Passport's bending (like the iPhone 6 bendgate), then there may be grounds to challenge BlackBerry on a design fault, but correct me if I'm wrong, but I this is the first I've ever heard of a Passport bending to such an extreme degree in one's pocket.

As far as BlackBerry is concerned, the device was subjected to significant force causing deformation of the structure and damaging the device beyond economical repair.
    01-09-15 08:12 AM
    Hmmm...

I'm thinking there's more to this story. I can't see how you would bend a Passport without exerting a significant amount of force....like maybe in a vice or your back pocket and then sitting on it. Also, can't rule out some other contributing factors like intoxicants and/or some adolescent experimentation to see what it would take to bend a Blackberry.......congratulations, now you know ! In any case, sorry dude not a warranty issue.

Like I said, I'm thinking part of the story is missing.
    01-09-15 08:14 AM
    Anyway what country is this happening in? Any customer protection measures there or just Wild West.

In my country as in most other European
    I would have claimed the phone not fit for purpose (cause it bent in the front pocket where it was reasonably expected to be worn as most people do) and would get it repaired or exchanged. That's the duty of the seller and not OEM. And you have 2 years to claim, so for 2 years the seller is responsible for your product to behave the way it should. And it doesn't matter if OEM warranties the phone for 1 year only.
    Yep - in England you have up to SIX years to return an item for replacement or refund (or partial refund) if the item is "not of satisfactory quality". However, the seller is not bound to give you a replacement or refund if you have damaged the item by: fair wear and tear, accidental damage, etc
    01-09-15 08:24 AM
    Yeah. I was hoping this would happen.
    This wasn't BlackBerry's fault, so I'm not sure why you assumed they would just replace it?

Your picture shows it was bent pretty badly.
    You admitted putting it in your front jeans pocket, which is by no means a "safe" means of storage for such a large device. (unless you have legs that aren't rounded like most of us)

No manufacturer is going to cover damage that is cause by the users. Heck even the iPhone bending issues, isn't really Apple's fault in my view... the bigger the device, the more suitable it will be to bending... unless they make it thicker.

But thanks for helping others to understand that you have to be careful with expensive electronic devices, and the insurance really is a good idea.
    sk8er_tor and ultra07 like this.
    01-09-15 08:34 AM
    You do not need a carrier for insurance. I use square trade for $5 a month. They cover drops and breaks.

Posted via CB10
    This.... I got a policy that covers breakage, malfunctions, etc. (Square Trade.) If the client tries warranty service first and it is not covered, the Square Trade warranty takes over and repairs or replaces. Cost me $89.00 if paid up front ($3.71/mo.) instead of the $5.00 per month. Kind of a no-brainer and they accepted my phone even though my Passport was 2 weeks past the 30- day initiation period.
    *CALL them directly for the Passport as it is not yet listed among their BB device list. (for anyone interested)
    01-09-15 08:40 AM
    I don't find their customer service abysmal. My dad had sent them a Bold 9000 that had sopped working and wrote them a letter about how much he loved the phone and just wanted them to fix it and he would be willing to pay whatever it cost to fix it. They sent him back a brand new Bold 9900 (this was 2 years ago) with a response saying , "Thanks for being a loyal customer. If you loved the 9000, you will love the 9900 even more. Cheers!" I just about cried that they would be so kind to my 68 year old dad. Blackberry will forever have my loyalty because of that act of kindness.
    01-09-15 08:42 AM
    Take a chance, send it to Chen. He boasted it was not bendable like the "other guys". Maybe he will restore your faith in the company. Be sure to explain as nicely as possible exactly what happened. What have you got to lose? You are already out an off contract phone.
    BigPlayChad8 and zyxxiforr like this.
    01-09-15 08:57 AM
    This wasn't BlackBerry's fault, so I'm not sure why you assumed they would just replace it?

Your picture shows it was bent pretty badly.
    You admitted putting it in your front jeans pocket, which is by no means a "safe" means of storage for such a large device. (unless you have legs that aren't rounded like most of us)

No manufacturer is going to cover damage that is cause by the users. Heck even the iPhone bending issues, isn't really Apple's fault in my view... the bigger the device, the more suitable it will be to bending... unless they make it thicker.

But thanks for helping others to understand that you have to be careful with expensive electronic devices, and the insurance really is a good idea.
    I don't think it's unreasonable to put a phone in your front pocket and expect it not to bend especially for a device touted as unbendable and extremely well built. In any case, nothing wrong with contacting Blackberry either to see if they will replace a bent device when it was stored in a place where people usually store their phones.
    BigPlayChad8 and mikeo007 like this.
    01-09-15 09:08 AM
164 1234 ...