I currently have a Q10 & will be picking up a Passport in early June which means a switch to AT&T from Verizon for me. As far as hardware goes Im leaning towards the AT&T version of the phone but am a bit worried about how locked down they will keep the phone. I will be going to China in September & plan on using the Passport while there so I will need it unlocked.

Outside of being on a contract, if I pick up the AT&T Passport & have it unlocked either through AT&T or by paying for a code what differences would there be between it & an unlocked version bought outright? Basically I just want to be able to travel & pop in a SIM card when I need to & also be able to install updates if AT&T doesnt offer them. I assume Ill be able to load OS versions on an AT&T Passport that AT&T fails to offer? Any downsides to an unlocked AT&T Passport I'm not thinking of? Thanks!
    05-14-15 10:51 PM
    Unlocked has a band that ATT does not. ATT has wireless charging and unlocked does not. ATT is thicker and slightly bigger. Build quality and material on unlocked is superb. Just a little less on ATT. My opinion.

Posted via CB10
    05-14-15 11:28 PM
    Unlocked has a band that ATT does not. ATT has wireless charging and unlocked does not. ATT is thicker and slightly bigger. Build quality and material on unlocked is superb. Just a little less on ATT. My opinion.

Posted via CB10
    Pretty sure the band that's missing isn't that big of a deal. AT&T is actually not thicker, it's just an optical illusion because the original's sides taper in and are rounded. AT&T is a bit taller. Build materials on original are better, but AT&T is better balanced and is a lot better functionality wise because of bigger chin, rounded corners, flatter sides, and better keyboard. It also seems, based on my unscientific research, that the AT&T is better constructed (although materials are a little worse) based on no accounts of screens lifting and other issues plaguing other Crackberry members.

I've owned both.

BlackBizzle my nizzle
    05-15-15 12:23 AM
    I had the ATT and returned it. Though they say it is the same thickness when on a flat surface side by side the ATT was slightly thicker.?Rounding error? The plastic around the chin will chip just like the Classic. Finally, if traveling OUS the missing band does matter from experience.

Posted via CB10
    05-15-15 08:07 AM
    Definitely explore which LTE bands are used in China, but agree in buying the non ATT version. I'm on ATT and live in Manila, been on the road this century. Believe me the only thing you want from ATT internationally is the sim. Support is difficult, you may consider getting a Z10 or something like that to put your ATT sim in and carry the PP for your daily local use. That's where I ended up.

Posted via CB10
    05-16-15 07:34 PM