I have a Passport on the way and I'll be joining either ATT or TMo. Now, apparently ATT will have exclusivity when the Passport is finally released stateside. What does this mean for someone who has an unlocked Passport? Will I revert to a carrier-scheduled update schedule? Or will I continue to be perceived as separate from the ATT-branded Passports?

I'd rather be autonomous.

Posted via CB10
    09-24-14 05:31 PM
    When you remove your sim, you will receive updates directly from BlackBerry.

Z30STA100-5/10.2.1.3247
    09-24-14 05:33 PM

Z30STA100-5/10.2.1.3247
    Thank you. That's what I needed to know.

And now that ATT is the exclusive carrier, and they'll be pushing out their Wifi calling update soon enough. I'm guessing that ATT is probably my safest bet for carriers.

Anyone have any thoughts as to why I'd want to do Tmo over ATT off-contract?

Posted via CB10
    09-24-14 11:27 PM
    If WIFI calling is you main concern. TMO has provided that feature for years. I think my BB 8700 already did that.

I have been a TMO customer since before voicestream, and since they went contract-less, I lost any interest in changing carriers. Prior to that, having to wait for hardware releases certainly sucked. Luckily we have a good flow of beta software so I never rely on TMO to publish updates.

If they provide you the coverage area you need, I don't see much reason to pay more with att.
    Their 4G data in Tampa and Orlando has been rock solid. I have worked just over my Z10 hotspot(with two laptops connected) for days, when a tree took out my Uverse connection. Come to think of it, I connected my Netflix/SmartTV to it, and it worked perfectly. (granted, i don't suggest that, as Netflix will blow through any data plan in a matter of hours, if you let it.)
    09-24-14 11:44 PM
    Tmobile is great. (I pay $30 a month. Prepaid plan with 100 minutes and basically unlimited everything else) Fantastic prices and actually consumer friendly unlike att or vz.

That being said their rural service stinks. Basically it seems whenever I go onto a one lane road I lose service. It quickly goes from 4g to essentially roaming with no Internet.

Although most big cities now have LTE. And it's quite fast LTE. I bet there's a lot more of this discussion on here so I'll leave it at that for now.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.0.1154 = heaven.
    09-24-14 11:47 PM
    I agree. I switched from AT&T and got an unlocked Z30. I am paying less in monthly service and have more data without having to worry about overages, international data (AT&T charges extra for that and the plans are ridiculous for international data), free hotspot (AT&T also charges extra for this) which comes handy to connect my laptop when on the go, and get solid LTE around the county (San Diego) and the most places where I travel for business. I am really happy with the service.

Posted via CB10
    09-24-14 11:54 PM
    How slow is the data after the 1gb alotted LTE data? And will I get wifi calling on my Passport? (Tmo)

Posted via CB10
    09-25-14 12:08 AM

Z30STA100-5/10.2.1.3247
    Reason why I know this Deadcowboy, is that when I unboxed my unlocked Z30 and set it up, I had absolutely no sim inside and it notified me of an update to the latest software available, so BlackBerry does indeed update unlocked phones without a sim inside.

Z30STA100-5/10.2.1.3247
    09-25-14 12:31 AM
    That's good to know. From what I'm hearing about TMO (and their wifi calling), looking at their coverage map, and the Blackberry direct updates it's being to look like that is the way to go. I wish I bought one this morning when they were still available.

I read somewhere that the in flight wifi service, gogo, is no charge with TMo. Is that correct?

Thanks,

GBA
    UncleChuck likes this.
    09-25-14 12:40 AM
    That's good to know. From what I'm hearing about TMO (and their wifi calling), looking at their coverage map, and the Blackberry direct updates it's being to look like that is the way to go. I wish I bought one this morning when they were still available.

I read somewhere that the in flight wifi service, gogo, is no charge with TMo. Is that correct?

Thanks,

GBA
    Alas the last time I flew it was because this was activated. From what I read it was only for SMS/MMS or calling. No data.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.0.1154 = heaven.
    09-25-14 09:26 AM
    So you know, the way things stand right now you PROBABLY will not get wifi-calling on an unlocked Passport on TMO. Right now only models they actually support can get it. So far as updates, I have two Z10s. One branded to TMO and one from Shop BBerry, (both unlocked). The latest update (official) on my branded phone was .2228. But when I took delivery of my unbranded phone, it said an update to .3247 was avail. However, I did put in my TMO SIM, then updated. I got the .3247 w/o issue, and wifi-calling appeared on the phone (and it works). On the Z10 the updates apparently go out based on IMEI, not whether you have the SIM in or not. In other words, putting in my TMO SIM did not force the update to revert to .2228. I assume if I had updated w/o SIM, wifi-calling would have been offered OTA once I put the SIM in.
    09-25-14 10:39 AM
    Interesting. So wifi calling isn't something baked into BB10. Only if the carrier asks and supports it?

Posted via CB10
    09-25-14 01:03 PM