A recommendation for unlocked ShopBlackBerry phones that haven't received the OTA. It was pushed out to Passport, z30 and Classic and if you haven't received it perhaps your carrier SIM is blocking it. You can try removing the SIM, restart your phone and check for updates using a WiFi connection.

I have quite a few ShopBlackBerry phones and had to do this for two (2) of my z30's but on my z10's this didn't work. My Passports received the update just fine.

Mu�rdeme
    moody likes this.
    06-08-15 08:20 AM
    we both know you don't even have 1 source
    I just helped someone recently who bought a Z10STL100-4, unlocked it, and brought it to a new carrier. The new carrier only sells and supports the -2 model. He could not update. Ever. Perpetual limbo.

Many carriers don't even have certain models that other people bring over to use. No updates.

I have even heard from a few who had devices from one carrier, and brought it to another carrier who carried the exact same version, and had trouble. Glitches in the system of associating the SIM? Maybe. Were there other technical problems with the carrier that prevented it? Maybe. I had a friend on Bell who unlocked his phone and brought it to Rogers. He never saw an update again. Probably a mistake or glitch provisioning the SIM. But it happened.

There are a lot of variables involved. Things don't often happen as they should.

Again, I don't know the stats, but it does happen and I thought it worth mentioning - all to support the contention that there is a big difference between SIM-unlocked and FACTORY-unlocked.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.798
    BigAl_BB9900 likes this.
    06-08-15 08:32 AM
    we both know you don't even have 1 source
    I encourage you to read this How to Disagree.
    Also don't forget to include sources where appropriate.
    BigAl_BB9900 likes this.
    06-08-15 09:54 AM
    Thanks! I believe I understand your explanation.....

I bought my Passport brand new from a carrier-independent retailer (CarPhone Warehouse, UK) - the box was sealed and the Passport still had all the sticky plastic all over it....

The retailer offered me different contracts from different carriers and had a whole load of different SIM cards laid out on the counter - I declined a new contract via the retailer (and went home and negotiated a super-cheap SIM-only contract from my old provider).

Therefore, my assumption is that my Passport must be 'factory unlocked' - BUT I have had no upgrades since the one to 10.3.1.1779....

My assumption has been that I have not had a further update since 10.3.1.1779 solely because I am using an EE-UK SIM, and that EE haven't okayed any updates... this is linked to my second assumption that if I put another carrier's SIM in my Passport (when this other carrier IS releasing the updates) then I should get the latest OS......

Which brings me back to my previous question that I cannot find an answer for - HOW do I check for this potential initial carrier-branding?
    You may check settings>security and privacy>SIM card and confirm.

Posted via CB10
    06-08-15 10:22 AM
    Feather
    moody likes this.
    06-08-15 11:49 AM
    Okay, I'll take your word for it. Myself I used an unlocked Z10 unsupported by the carriers in my country at the time; removing the simcard would allow me to update, while having the sim in would show no update. I called BlackBerry and they explained that the update looks at the (sim) carrier first, and if they have don't support the device, the device will receive the newest firmware. The trouble in my case was that carriers were about to support the Z10, but they had old software versions approved only.
    06-08-15 12:34 PM

Posted via CB10
    Everything is unlocked on my device and no update so far.

Posted via CB10
    06-08-15 12:39 PM

Posted via CB10
    Yep! I'm assuming that this is what you are referring to (see image below)..... which was probably the first thing I checked back in January (and I put SIMs from different carriers into my phone on a regular basis). What I have been trying to ascertain, is how to find out if my phone has this NVRAM hard coded Carrier Branding thingummyjig......

Unlock Passport receive updates directly from BlackBerry-sim_card_unlocked.jpg
    Last edited by BigAl_BB9900; 06-08-15 at 01:50 PM.
    06-08-15 01:33 PM
    Apart from now you mean? No carrier has released 10.3.2 yet, but factory unlocked devices have been getting it for almost a week.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.798
    I haven't for my factory unlocked passport...

Posted via CB10
    06-08-15 04:12 PM
    I haven't for my factory unlocked passport...

Posted via CB10
    From where did you buy your Passport? And have you tried to check for the update over WiFi after turning it off and pulling the SIM?

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.798
    06-08-15 05:10 PM
    From where did you buy your Passport? And have you tried to check for the update over WiFi after turning it off and pulling the SIM?

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.798
    Got it from coolblue, and it's unlocked for sure. Yes I tried all of that... no updates :-(

Posted via CB10
    06-09-15 06:34 PM
    Got it from coolblue, and it's unlocked for sure. Yes I tried all of that... no updates :-(

Posted via CB10
    As has been posted, only shopBlackberry and Amazon NA factory unlocked devices are getting it.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.798
    06-09-15 08:20 PM
    As has been posted, only shopBlackberry and Amazon NA factory unlocked devices are getting it.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.798
    Lame, mine is just as 'factory unlocked' as the rest... never understood this carrier approval stuff... what's the use if you can use any phone with any OS anyway...

Posted via CB10
    06-10-15 04:51 PM
    Just to share the information, I purchased mine from the blackberry shop in dubai and it will not receive the update yet, even with the sim out and restarted.

I think, as mentioned in previous comments in the thread, it only applies for north america BlackBerry shop distributed devices.

...will have to wait as I cannot use the autoloaders, since all my work data is in my phone and cannot afford the risk.

Posted via CB10 on my beloved Passport
    06-10-15 05:20 PM
    Lame, mine is just as 'factory unlocked' as the rest... never understood this carrier approval stuff... what's the use if you can use any phone with any OS anyway...
    Just to share the information, I purchased mine from the blackberry shop in dubai and it will not receive the update yet, even with the sim out and restarted.
    Unfortunately, being factory unlocked isn't the only criteria. Updates are based on specific pools of IMEI numbers. For example, if yours is unbranded and factory unlocked but originally destined for EMEA, it wouldn't be in the pool of NA updates. This is also why unlocking a previously carrier-locked device doesn't change how the device receives updates (since the IMEI never changes), despite the common misconception believing otherwise.

[CB10 / Q10]
    currentodysseys likes this.
    06-10-15 07:50 PM
    Is there hope that one day BlackBerry just decides to take over the update process and offer direct updates to all carrier-locked BB 10 devices, circumventing the carriers? I know it would upset the carriers but then again, the market share is small and the carriers are not exactly pushing BlackBerry products anyhow (or at least that's the feeling I personally get in Canada, can't speak for carriers around the world. Well, I can't speak for Canadian carriers either, but just my personal feeling). Or would offering direct updates upset the carriers so much that they would stop selling BlackBerry? Just trying to get a sense of how people see this. I'm not arguing it should be this way or that way.
    06-10-15 10:56 PM
    Is there hope that one day BlackBerry just decides to take over the update process and offer direct updates to all carrier-locked BB 10 devices, circumventing the carriers?
    With AT&T and Verizon rolling out VoWiFi (aka wifi calling) soon and T-Mobile already having rolled it out, there's less of a chance now than ever of BlackBerry being either willing or able to circumvent carrier testing before deployment. They certainly could but most definitely won't. They're focused on stability and security. Giving the middle finger to US carriers would go squarely against this mantra, especially on carrier-locked devices.

There's no hope unless US carriers tell BlackBerry it's acceptable for them (BB) to handle OS updates without carrier testing.

[CB10 / Q10]
    06-10-15 11:16 PM
    You are 100% correct
    09-09-15 09:55 PM

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.798
    You are absolutely correct on that point I have the latest version and bought from BlackBerry store.
    09-09-15 09:58 PM
69 123