I'm don't know what you mean by SIM locked - I can put other carrier's nano-SIMs into my Passport and it works fine (eg when I am abroad)......
    ..... unfortunately I don't have any of those other carriers' nano-SIMs to hand
    There are two ways a phone can be unlocked: the first is unlocked by the manufacturer where it never gets branded to a carrier (factory unlocked), the second is being initially tied to a carrier and being subsequently unlocked so you can move to a other carrier with its new sim (SIM unlocked)

If you have the former, you will enjoy updates directly from BlackBerry. If you have the later, and you have moved to a different carrier from the one you were initially branded to, you may be eternally caught in a state of limbo and may never see updates.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.798
    Mecca EL and BigAl_BB9900 like this.
    06-07-15 01:55 PM
    There are two ways a phone can be unlocked: the first is unlocked by the manufacturer where it never gets branded to a carrier (factory unlocked), the second is being initially tied to a carrier and being subsequently unlocked so you can move to a other carrier with its new sim (SIM unlocked)

If you have the former, you will enjoy updates directly from BlackBerry. If you have the later, and you have moved to a different carrier from the one you were initially branded to, you may be eternally caught in a state of limbo and may never see updates.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.798
    Thanks! I believe I understand your explanation.....

I bought my Passport brand new from a carrier-independent retailer (CarPhone Warehouse, UK) - the box was sealed and the Passport still had all the sticky plastic all over it....

The retailer offered me different contracts from different carriers and had a whole load of different SIM cards laid out on the counter - I declined a new contract via the retailer (and went home and negotiated a super-cheap SIM-only contract from my old provider).

Therefore, my assumption is that my Passport must be 'factory unlocked' - BUT I have had no upgrades since the one to 10.3.1.1779....

My assumption has been that I have not had a further update since 10.3.1.1779 solely because I am using an EE-UK SIM, and that EE haven't okayed any updates... this is linked to my second assumption that if I put another carrier's SIM in my Passport (when this other carrier IS releasing the updates) then I should get the latest OS......

Which brings me back to my previous question that I cannot find an answer for - HOW do I check for this potential initial carrier-branding?
    khanhngujen likes this.
    06-07-15 02:43 PM

I bought my Passport brand new from a carrier-independent retailer (CarPhone Warehouse, UK) - the box was sealed and the Passport still had all the sticky plastic all over it....

The retailer offered me different contracts from different carriers and had a whole load of different SIM cards laid out on the counter - I declined a new contract via the retailer (and went home and negotiated a super-cheap SIM-only contract from my old provider).

Therefore, my assumption is that my Passport must be 'factory unlocked' - BUT I have had no upgrades since the one to 10.3.1.1779....

My assumption has been that I have not had a further update since 10.3.1.1779 solely because I am using an EE-UK SIM, and that EE haven't okayed any updates... this is linked to my second assumption that if I put another carrier's SIM in my Passport (when this other carrier IS releasing the updates) then I should get the latest OS......

Which brings me back to my previous question that I cannot find an answer for - HOW do I check for this potential initial carrier-branding?
    Honestly, I'm not sure.

But in the time you spent typing your question, you could have downloaded and copied the blitz file to your device already. Lol.

I'm serious - it's that quick and easy.

BTW, only the factory unlocked devices purchased from North America are currently seeing the update.

Here is the Link to the latest blitz OS 10.3.2.798 update:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=1021840

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.798
    BigAl_BB9900 likes this.
    06-07-15 02:58 PM
    To add, your OS 10.3.1.2576 (software 10.3.1.1779) is still probably the latest for your device offered by your carrier.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.798
    06-07-15 03:01 PM
    Honestly, I'm not sure.

But in the time you spent typing your question, you could have downloaded and copied the blitz file to your device already. Lol.

I'm serious - it's that quick and easy.

BTW, only the factory unlocked devices purchased from North America are currently seeing the update.

OS 10.3.2.798 + Radio 799 'Blitz' Non-Destructive Update for ALL devices - BlackBerry Forums at CrackBerry.com

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.798
    Thanks again - and thanks for the info re: only N American factory unlocked phones are getting the updates at the moment.

I am very wary of doing anything non-standard (eg Blitz upgrade), and a big reason for this, is that since the upgrade to 10.3.1.1779 I have NOT been able to do a backup.

Hence the great wish to upgrade to the latest OS (as this might enable me to do a backup again via Link) - countered by the concern that a non-standard upgrade might wipe my phone.....

I really do appreciate all the help.
    06-07-15 03:03 PM

I am very wary of doing anything non-standard (eg Blitz upgrade), and a big reason for this, is that since the upgrade to 10.3.1.1779 I have NOT been able to do a backup.
    Perhaps a nice fresh, clean install is in order then to clear out those gremlins. Not a bad thing to do from time to time.

Consider using a program like Ultimate Backup. You can back up your contacts, messages, and media (and more). Then download and run an autoloader for the latest and greatest OS.

You will have to download your apps again, re-add your accounts and adjust your settings again.

Download and unzip the file for your device from here (ignore the small file):
    https://drive.bitcasa.com/send/6tMMp...-637Yfg_vO7Nw/

Plug in your phone and click on the exe file. Done.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.798
    06-07-15 03:16 PM
    Thanks for the info. Just to clarify, BlackBerry has the technical capability to update current carrier-locked BB 10 phones directly but don't because of contractual agreements with carriers to have them approve the updates first. Correct?
    06-07-15 07:58 PM
    Thanks for the info. Just to clarify, BlackBerry has the technical capability to update current carrier-locked BB 10 phones directly but don't because of contractual agreements with carriers to have them approve the updates first. Correct?
    Correct. Carriers provide distribution and front line support, and in return have control over the deployment of the software they are supporting.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.798
    06-07-15 08:33 PM
    Makes sense. Thanks!

Posted via CB10
    06-07-15 09:19 PM
    I have a question, I purchased my passport from CPW in the UK. It was unlocked and I use it on O2. CPW sells unlocked handsets all the time and although I got an O2 contract with it, that is irrelevant as I could just as easily have been on Vodafone or EE and would have received this exact handset with one of those sims. Or I could have purchased it sim free with no sim, yet I haven't had the update. My question is: what makes an Amazon or shop BlackBerry handset inherently different to the one I hold in my hands? Both would be unlocked and not purchased from a carrier, so where's my update? Do I just need to take the sim out?

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.1.2576 O2 UK
    06-07-15 11:34 PM
    I have a question, I purchased my passport from CPW in the UK. It was unlocked and I use it on O2. CPW sells unlocked handsets all the time and although I got an O2 contract with it, that is irrelevant as I could just as easily have been on Vodafone or EE and would have received this exact handset with one of those sims. Or I could have purchased it sim free with no sim, yet I haven't had the update. My question is: what makes an Amazon or shop BlackBerry handset inherently different to the one I hold in my hands? Both would be unlocked and not purchased from a carrier, so where's my update? Do I just need to take the sim out?

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.1.2576 O2 UK
    Similar situation to me.

According to Conite, the BlackBerry updates to unlocked phones are currently only happening for N American devices. If you search up on this thread you will see our conversation, where I think he has answered all of your questions.
    06-07-15 11:46 PM
    Honestly, I'm not sure.

http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=1021840

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.798
    I picked up my Passport on Amazon but it looks like it is a European model since it came with a Euro plug. I just got it a couple weeks ago & updated the software before I activated it. I was only able to get 10.3.1.1779 so far through OTA as well as Link. Could be due to the fact it's a Euro model?

Posted via CB10
    06-07-15 11:50 PM
    Just throwing out a quick reply. Not all of my shopblackberry devices received 10.3.2 yet.

So if you have a device and have not received 10.3.2 yet, that does not mean that your device isn't unlocked from BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    06-07-15 11:54 PM

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.798
    how do you even make this up??
    citation needed. sorry but you really were creative with that one but come on now
    06-08-15 01:03 AM

youre the same, like my situation. From Vietnam with Viettel Telecom
    06-08-15 02:28 AM
    how do you even make this up??
    citation needed. sorry but you really were creative with that one but come on now
    What an odd thing to accuse me of.

I admit to not having any peer reviewed papers on the subject with reams of statistical results.

I will say that over the years, this has been a well documented state of limbo for many a user waiting for updates. SIM-unlocking a device and moving to another carrier has been a source of frustration for many.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.798
    06-08-15 06:43 AM
    Correct. Carriers provide distribution and front line support, and in return have control over the deployment of the software they are supporting.
    Incorrect. BB10 OS distribution comes from BlackBerry servers, not from carriers. If you've seen a carrier deploy a BB10 OS directly then please cite the location and/or URL.

[CB10 / Q10]
    06-08-15 06:51 AM
    Incorrect. BB10 OS distribution comes from BlackBerry servers, not from carriers. If you've seen a carrier deploy a BB10 OS directly then please cite the location and/or URL.

[CB10 / Q10]
    I'm not talking about distribution of software. I'm well aware of that. I'm taking about device supply channel.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.798
    06-08-15 07:03 AM

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.798
    Not true. My Passport and Z30 are both unlocked and none of the devices received the update. I guess it always depend on the carriers. In my case I have one connected to one carrier and the other to a different one and both are still waiting to be updated either via OTA or through blackberry link.

Posted via CB10
    06-08-15 07:08 AM
    Not true. My Passport and Z30 are both unlocked and none of the devices received the update. I guess it always depend on the carriers. In my case I have one connected to one carrier and the other to a different one and both are still waiting to be updated either via OTA or through blackberry link.

Posted via CB10
    What's not true? Did you read what I wrote?

Are they factory unlocked and purchased directly from shopBlackberry or Amazon NA? If so, they will get it, as most have already. You may have to pull your sim and reboot and check for updates over WiFi.

If they are only SIM-unlocked they they are still tied to the carrier.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.798
    06-08-15 07:11 AM
    I'm not talking about distribution of software. I'm well aware of that. I'm taking about device supply channel.
    The question to which you were replying asked specifically about software distribution, not device supply. Ambiguity in your word choice doesn't make the statement any less correct, even in the off chance that you truly decided to introduce device supply in a question specifically about operating systems in a thread specifically about operating systems on an unlocked Passport clearly not supplied by a carrier.

But, whatever. At least you're aware of where software distributes. That's what matters.

[CB10 / Q10]
    Last edited by modifier; 06-08-15 at 07:39 AM.
    06-08-15 07:28 AM
    The question to which you were replying asked specifically about software distribution, not device supply. Ambiguity in your word choice doesn't make the statement any less correct, even in the off chance that you truly decided to introduce device supply in a question specifically about operating systems in a thread specifically about operating systems on an unlocked Passport clearly not supplied by a carrier.

[CB10 / Q10]
    Thanks for the reprimand. I will go sit in the corner and think about what I did.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.798
    06-08-15 07:40 AM
    But, whatever. At least you're aware of where software distributes. That's what matters.

[CB10 / Q10]
    Keenly, I assure you.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.798
    habs_fan likes this.
    06-08-15 07:42 AM
    What an odd thing to accuse me of.

I admit to not having any peer reviewed papers on the subject with reams of statistical results.

I will say that over the years, this has been a well documented state of limbo for many a user waiting for updates. SIM-unlocking a device and moving to another carrier has been a source of frustration for many.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.798
    we both know you don't even have 1 source
    06-08-15 07:44 AM
    we both know you don't even have 1 source
    How many sources do you have? I'm going to believe a long time member who helps people over someone who has 63 posts who looks like they are here to fight, sorry
    06-08-15 08:12 AM
69 123