Just wondering, I bought my Passport from Rogers, so I know any OS updates come from Rogers after they approve it.

I see now people who bought their phones unlocked from BlackBerry directly are getting their OS update directly from BlackBerry, bypassing carrier approval.

So my question is, is there a way to unlock the Passport to make it the same as if you bought it from BlackBerry? I vaguely understand there is a SIM lock and another kind of lock? Sorry for not being clear. I don't completely understand this subject myself.
    06-05-15 07:00 PM
    Sorry, no you can't unlock a device purchased through a carrier so that it receives updates in the same way as a device purchased through ShopBlackBerry or Amazon does. Getting a carrier purchased deviced unlocked by a service or by the carrier directly allows you to use it with any other carrier (as long as the frequencies are compatible), but the fact that it was carrier branded is hard coded into the device.
    06-05-15 07:28 PM
    Sorry, no you can't unlock a device purchased through a carrier so that it receives updates in the same way as a device purchased through ShopBlackBerry or Amazon does. Getting a carrier purchased deviced unlocked by a service or by the carrier directly allows you to use it with any other carrier (as long as the frequencies are compatible), but the fact that it was carrier branded is hard coded into the device.
    Not fully true.
    If your able to wipe the hardware and find new software to install onto the hardware than its possible.

Example;
    I've ran across a few people that would wipe androids and install BlackBerry os on them.
    But was told the other way around is much harder breaking BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    06-05-15 08:15 PM
    Not fully true.
    If your able to wipe the hardware and find new software to install onto the hardware than its possible.
    Wrong. That fact is in NVRAM and persists across wipes.

Example;
    I've ran across a few people that would wipe androids and install BlackBerry os on them.

Posted via CB10
    Super wrong.

[citation needed]

Posted via CB10
    06-05-15 08:16 PM
    Not fully true.

Example;

Posted via CB10

Wow. Wrong & wronger.
    06-05-15 08:35 PM
    Elessar.cm is correct, it will continue to get updates directly from the network after being unlocked.
    Not through Blackberry
    jojo beaconsfield likes this.
    06-06-15 02:06 AM
    However if you find a carrier that has the update that you want, you can pop that carrier's SIM, even an old one that isn't active, and you'll be able to get the update.

I have an unlocked Shop BlackBerry Z30 that wasn't showing the 10.3.2 update. When I put the Rogers SIM I have lying around it found the update. Same thing happened with my Shop BlackBerry Z10. I will see if it works on my Wind Q10 later.

My Shop BlackBerry Passport on Wind got the update from BlackBerry OTA.

Posted via CB10
    06-06-15 10:43 AM
    Not fully true.

Example;

Posted via CB10
    Wiped Android and installed BlackBerry OS? Haha, is this April 1st?

Posted via CB10
    Mecca EL likes this.
    06-06-15 12:46 PM
    I just tried my Wind unlocked Q10 with a Rogers SIM and no 10.3.2 found.

To further demonstrate the hard coding, once it rebooted after I took the SIM out, the wallpaper changed from the Rogers wallpaper to the Wind wallpaper - I haven't had a Wind SIM in the phone for almost 6 months and have done a number of security wipes and reloading of software via autoloaders yet it still found its "home" and installed the wallpaper.

Posted via CB10
    jojo beaconsfield likes this.
    06-06-15 06:42 PM
    http://android.stackexchange.com/que...android-device

Here's android to other devices.

Look into it some more and you'll find more stuff.

Posted via CB10
    06-06-15 08:51 PM
    Wrong. That fact is in NVRAM and persists across wipes.
    I have a followup question: if I buy a used unlocked phone, is there a way to know if the device was originally purchased from BlackBerry directly or was locked to a carrier?
    06-06-15 09:04 PM
    installation - Can I install Android on my non-Android device? - Android Enthusiasts Stack Exchange

Here's android to other devices.

Look into it some more and you'll find more stuff.

Posted via CB10
    Do you see BlackBerry there? No?

Anyone who says they can install Android OS on a BlackBerry is a charlatan, an imbecile or, quite likely, both.
    Ecm, deiop, Mecca EL and 1 others like this.
    06-06-15 09:20 PM
    Thanks for the replies. Just two follow up questions.

Aside from receiving OS updates directly from BlackBerry, using any carrier SIM, and not being under a carrier contract, what other advantages are there in buying from Shop BlackBerry or Amazon?

And a more theoretical question, if BlackBerry chose to, could they directly provide OS updates directly to current BlackBerry 10 phones that we're sold by carriers?
    06-07-15 12:36 AM
    Thanks for the replies. Just two follow up questions.

Aside from receiving OS updates directly from BlackBerry, using any carrier SIM, and not being under a carrier contract, what other advantages are there in buying from Shop BlackBerry or Amazon?

And a more theoretical question, if BlackBerry chose to, could they directly provide OS updates directly to current BlackBerry 10 phones that we're sold by carriers?
    Purchasing from shopblackberry or Amazon will give you faster updates (obviously), you will be able to use the device on any network at any time pending frequencies, and you will likely save money.

Had a "disagreement" with someone that purchased the AT&T Passport on a 2 year contract for a little over $200. I brought my own Passport and since I don't use much data I 'only' receive' $15 off my bill every month. Over the contract time of two years that is $360. I paid $449 for my Passport back when it launched from shopblackberry and bought a red one in Nov for $499 from shopblackberry.

If my plan had more data, I'd receive $25 off per month from AT&T totalling $600 over the contract period. In this case, AT&T would have paid me over $100 for my Passport. I'd never make it that long anyway and do not have to pay fees or use a monthly installment plan especially with AT&T wanting $700 for their version.

In most cases, it is cheaper to purchase outright. Most carriers will provide a discount for bringing your own device. Many don't realize that when you buy a phone using a carrier subsidy, they are still going to get their money one way or another.

I've always said that if you can't afford to save for a few months to purchase a phone outright then you shouldn't be purchasing it and should be looking at cheaper options. Just my opinion.

To answer your other question; no, BlackBerry cannot bypass the carriers. The only exception (for the most part) is iOS (Apple) and only because they were in a position that not many manufacturers are in. When signing agreements with carriers Apple would tell the carrier what terms they require and if the carrier doesn't like it then they won't be selling the iPhone.

We'll see how Apple holds their market share now that everyone and their grandmom has one; making the device not as cool as it was when it was the have to have device for teenagers/hipsters, but that's another thread.

Posted via CB10
    Mecca EL and Katika99 like this.
    06-07-15 08:35 AM
    Unlocking a phone is not going to replace the carrier-modified ROM software the phone is running. As that software is what is slowing the update because it has to have carrier-specific testing and bloat, merely removing the SIM restriction will not hasten your software's upgrades.

Posted via CB10
    06-07-15 09:14 AM
    With respect to the carrier-locked devices, BlackBerry could in fact bypass the carriers and deliver updates directly. This would be in contravention of the contractual arrangements they have with the carriers however, and would not be received well by them. BlackBerry would have more to lose in stirring up the pot with this.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.798
    Last edited by conite; 06-07-15 at 09:48 AM.
    Mecca EL likes this.
    06-07-15 09:34 AM
    I purchased my passport unlocked from the blackberry store and it seems I get updates at the same time as all other Telus clients.

Posted via CB10
    06-07-15 09:47 AM
    I purchased my passport unlocked from the blackberry store and it seems I get updates at the same time as all other Telus clients.

Posted via CB10
    Apart from now you mean? No carrier has released 10.3.2 yet, but factory unlocked devices have been getting it for almost a week.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.798
    06-07-15 09:50 AM
    Apart from now you mean? No carrier has released 10.3.2 yet, but factory unlocked devices have been getting it for almost a week.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.798
    I haven't received it yet.

Posted via CB10
    06-07-15 09:52 AM
    I haven't received it yet.

Posted via CB10
    Power down, pull your sim, boot phone, check for update over WiFi.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.798
    Mecca EL likes this.
    06-07-15 09:55 AM

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.798
    Thanks, I will give that a try.

Posted via CB10
    06-07-15 09:57 AM

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.798
    I've tried this twice - unfortunately to no avail.....

I purchased my unlocked BlackBerry at Selfridges (upmarket Department Store in London, UK). There is a reasonably sized BlackBerry demonstration concession there, but you actually have to buy the phone at the neighbouring Carphone Warehouse concession (which I did).

From what I have read in this thread, does this mean that though my Passport is unlocked, it is 'NVRAM branded' to a particular carrier?

If so, can someone please tell me how I can find out which carrier my Passport is 'NVRAM Branded' to?

Many thanks in advance.
    06-07-15 12:02 PM
    My update appeared after connecting to BlackBerry Link and searching for update.

 RED Passport SQW100-1/10.3.2.680 on Telus
    06-07-15 12:10 PM
    I've tried this twice - unfortunately to no avail.....

I purchased my unlocked BlackBerry at Selfridges (upmarket Department Store in London, UK). There is a reasonably sized BlackBerry demonstration concession there, but you actually have to buy the phone at the neighbouring Carphone Warehouse concession (which I did).

From what I have read in this thread, does this mean that though my Passport is unlocked, it is 'NVRAM branded' to a particular carrier?

If so, can someone please tell me how I can find out which carrier my Passport is 'NVRAM Branded' to?

Many thanks in advance.
    You may have an unresolvable situation if you are SIM locked to another carrier.

But before attempting to reinvent the wheel, or running around looking for other SIM cards, I'd suggest simply downloading either the blitz file or an autoloader and do the update yourself. It's easy and quick.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.798
    06-07-15 12:29 PM
    You may have an unresolvable situation if you are SIM locked to another carrier.

But before attempting to reinvent the wheel, or running around looking for other SIM cards, I'd suggest simply downloading either the blitz file or an autoloader and do the update yourself. It's easy and quick.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.798
    I'm don't know what you mean by SIM locked - I can put other carrier's nano-SIMs into my Passport and it works fine (eg when I am abroad)......
    ..... unfortunately I don't have any of those other carriers' nano-SIMs to hand
    06-07-15 01:46 PM
69 123