That's one way to look at it.

No one "needs" apps. In fact, I just read a survey that rated the number of folks who use Android as-is (stock). Now, that's a true decision, unlike BB10. Using it without apps is almost easier.

The true measure of success for any platform is the ability to convince third-party entities to invest in it. No company can create ALL the software needed to create a device that it viable for everyone. What Apple, Android, MSFT and even BlackBerry have striven to do is to encourage others to bring their specialized knowledge to their platforms... with varying degrees of success.

The lack of apps isn't a feature, and even BBRY itself recognizes this.

Again, one's choice of smartdevice is not a measure of intellect or independence LOL.
    intellect and independence have a fairly big part of device selection. The majority of US consumers purchase their device through carriers and most often at brick and mortar locations. I would feel safe to guess that more than half walk in with the intent to purchase a new device based on very little research but instead interest from advertisement, hearsay or a friend has the same device. You will have someone switch to iphone with not another apple product and a massive archive of mp3s on their current device without knowing anything about iTunes or iOS itself. likewise with Android, ask a sales rep how many people per day they create Google accounts for to properly set up their new devices. You might be surprised how ignorant people are in general. Very few do any research to decide what the device actually has to offer or if it will even suit their lifestyle before purchase.
    Mangelhaft likes this.
    11-05-15 05:00 PM
    That's one way to look at it.

No one "needs" apps. In fact, I just read a survey that rated the number of folks who use Android as-is (stock). Now, that's a true decision, unlike BB10. Using it without apps is almost easier.

The true measure of success for any platform is the ability to convince third-party entities to invest in it. No company can create ALL the software needed to create a device that it viable for everyone. What Apple, Android, MSFT and even BlackBerry have striven to do is to encourage others to bring their specialized knowledge to their platforms... with varying degrees of success.

The lack of apps isn't a feature, and even BBRY itself recognizes this.

Again, one's choice of smartdevice is not a measure of intellect or independence LOL.
    intellect and independence have a fairly big part of device selection. The majority of US consumers purchase their device through carriers and most often at brick and mortar locations. I would feel safe to guess that more than half walk in with the intent to purchase a new device based on very little research but instead interest from advertisement, hearsay or a friend has the same device. You will have someone switch to iphone with not another apple product and a massive archive of mp3s on their current device without knowing anything about iTunes or iOS itself. likewise with Android, ask a sales rep how many people per day they create Google accounts for to properly set up their new devices. You might be surprised how ignorant people are in general. Very few do any research to decide what the device actually has to offer or if it will even suit their lifestyle before purchase.
    11-05-15 05:01 PM
    I work in tech though, and I've had people come running across a floor with giant eyes like a kid in a store. It's followed by 'is that a passssport? What do you think about it. I really wanted one but wasn't sure of...'

I've never had someone techy not know what it is.

Posted to CB via my Passport | Lloyd Summers | FileArchiveHaven
    If you're not converting these people, shame!

Posted via CB10
    11-05-15 05:30 PM
    Hm......

Do you do research before buying clothing product ? Maybe for designer or someone who work at garment industries do, and they know exactly which clothing is over price or not, and (maybe) they would say "so many un intellect people who bought an overpriced clothing, they are so ignorance"

Do you do research before buying toiletaris product ? Maybe for someone who so much in "go green" or work in chemistry field would (maybe) say "so many un intellect people who bought un-friendly enviroment products or harmful chemistry consisted product, they are so ignorant"

Etc etc etc

If you into technology, a gadget freak, an advance user, or whatever you might categorized yourself into, that doesn't make you an intellect person. Judging someone just from their phone choice ? Seriously ?

Buying phone just from ads is not intellect .... maybe that's exactly blackberry thought, so, they don't care about any ads for their product, because (maybe) they are certain that their user(s) is/are intellect people .... but too bad, it seems like "not so many" intellect people in this world, so they can't sell "many" as well .... (maybe) they need "not intellect" people to survive and turn to android "app and lalazone"

If You don't like to be judge by others because u used bb passport, but u judge others because they use other OS, how ironic is that ....

Support Japan ? China ? What the heck has something to do with phone reference ? Every gadget u use today has some component made by China or somewhere in Asia.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    11-05-15 07:14 PM
    (Double)
    11-05-15 07:20 PM
    Hm......

Do you do research before buying clothing product ? Maybe for designer or someone who work at garment industries do, and they know exactly which clothing is over price or not, and (maybe) they would say "so many un intellect people who bought an overpriced clothing, they are so ignorance"

Do you do research before buying toiletaris product ? Maybe for someone who so much in "go green" or work in chemistry field would (maybe) say "so many un intellect people who bought un-friendly enviroment products or harmful chemistry consisted product, they are so ignorant"

Etc etc etc

If you into technology, a gadget freak, an advance user, or whatever you might categorized yourself into, that doesn't make you an intellect person. Judging someone just from their phone choice ? Seriously ?

Buying phone just from ads is not intellect .... maybe that's exactly blackberry thought, so, they don't care about any ads for their product, because (maybe) they are certain that their user(s) is/are intellect people .... but too bad, it seems like "not so many" intellect people in this world, so they can't sell "many" as well ....

You don't like to be judge by others because u used bb passport, but u judge others because they use other OS, how ironic is that ....

Support Japan ? China ? What the heck has something to do with phone reference ? Every gadget u use today has some component made by China or somewhere in Asia.

So you compare a $600-700 device that will handle all of your day to day communications with mouthwash or clothing? If it were that simple we would carry 1 for every day of the week.
    I don't like to be judged? What on earth are you talking about?
    Also supporting japan/china was a different subject. Only a side note as to the fact that I prefer to support my countries economy first. I rather 1% of my money stay here than 0%.
    Lastly I think you might be confused as to the definition of "intellect"

Posted via CB10
    11-05-15 07:28 PM
    So you compare a $600-700 device that will handle all of your day to day communications with mouthwash or clothing? If it were that simple we would carry 1 for every day of the week.
    I don't like to be judged? What on earth are you talking about?
    Also supporting japan/china was a different subject. Only a side note as to the fact that I prefer to support my countries economy first. I rather 1% of my money stay here than 0%.
    Lastly I think you might be confused as to the definition of "intellect"

Posted via CB10
    Intelect : capability of someone mind; smart ; comprehens�on; sevvy, thinker; etc etc .... Antonyns : Ignorance ...

You are saying someone intellect / ignorance or not from their decision to make a phone choice right ? Intellect person will do research first, and for others who just buy phone without any research is ignorance. Correct ? That's what I read from your comment

Then .. now you say I can't compare to clothing or toiletries because of the costs ? That's just analogy that not everyone love tech, and that doesn't mean they are ignorance or not intellect. Some people buy expensive watches for their hobbies, some people buy unreasonable price for clothing since they love it (which can costs them more than a blackberry phone), so they are ignorance ?

If you mean intellect by smart spending .... do you know how much clothing, personel care, housekeeping or other misc costs for one person or a family in one month ?

11-05-15 08:16 PM
    Intelect : capability of someone mind; smart ; comprehens�on; sevvy, thinker; etc etc .... Antonyns : Ignorance ...

You are saying someone intellect / ignorance or not from their decision to make a phone choice right ? Intellect person will do research first, and for others who just buy phone without any research is ignorance. Correct ? That's what I read from your comment

Then .. now you say I can't compare to clothing or toiletries because of the costs ? That's just analogy that not everyone love tech, and that doesn't mean they are ignorance or not intellect. Some people buy expensive watches for their hobbies, some people buy unreasonable price for clothing since they love it (which can costs them more than a blackberry phone), so they are ignorance ?

If you mean intellect by smart spending .... do you know how much clothing, personel care, housekeeping or other misc costs for one person or a family in one month ?

Intellect is NOT the same as intelligence as ignorance is not a good antonym for intelligence. You can develop intellect while intelligence is persistent. Off topic anyway.

You are now going back to quality vs quantity with your analogy of the toiletries. Sure you can buy a $1000 watch. But you would do so either believing you are buying quality or again back to the followers who buys dre beats headphones because the commercials on tv or seeing them in public. A $1000 watch that looks practicly the same as a $100 but carries a brand that has no better warrenty or options but is merely popular is not a reasonable or wise buy. Same goes for jeans or any other clothing.

As for the cost of personal care and home items for month vary wildly based on social class, habit, preference, income, family size and many other variables. But as for necessities I'm betting it's lower than you think.

Posted via CB10
    11-05-15 08:30 PM

You are now going back to quality vs quantity with your analogy of the toiletries. Sure you can buy a $1000 watch. But you would do so either believing you are buying quality or again back to the followers who buys dre beats headphones because the commercials on tv or seeing them in public. A $1000 watch that looks practicly the same as a $100 but carries a brand that has no better warrenty or options but is merely popular is not a reasonable or wise buy. Same goes for jeans or any other clothing.

Posted via CB10
    Exactly,

for you maybe because you love blackberry, it's so worth it to buy bb passport (based on quality as per said)

For jack, maybe it's worthy to buy $1000 watch, he loves the brand, he loves the design, but he didn't do any research of every detail component. He simply loves fashion. So is he ignorance ?

I watched some iphone ads, i love the design, so i bought it, i use iphone for my entertainment (yes, maybe a toy for me), then i buy blackberry 10 for my email ( i did research and i know blackberry has a limitation of app, but since i have iphone, i bought it for easier email and communication - I "thought"), for several months i use blackberry ... and finally i decided that using 2 phones is not really effective for my drive, because I need App, and have 2 phone seperately is not workable for me.

One day, i saw some samsung ads (yeah again, ads !), Love the design, love the feature, I don't do research throughly, and finally i bought android, many apps, many choice of email client, communication app is great, with several limitation for sure. Now I use android for my work phone, email, sosmed app, and for music still with my apple music. Blackberry stuck in my drawer

11-05-15 09:04 PM
    unbelievable. well, perhaps if you consider the fact that they don't want to feel duped by shelling out big bucks for their inferior phones... denial is a powerful drug!

Posted via CBX
    11-05-15 09:08 PM
    Exactly,

for you maybe because you love blackberry, it's so worth it to buy bb passport (based on quality as per said)

For jack, maybe it's worthy to buy $1000 watch, he loves the brand, he loves the design, but he didn't do any research of every detail component. He simply loves fashion. So is he ignorance ?

I watched some iphone ads, i love the design, so i bought it, i use iphone for my entertainment (yes, maybe a toy for me), then i buy blackberry 10 for my email ( i did research and i know blackberry has a limitation of app, but since i have iphone, i bought it for easier email and communication - I "thought"), for several months i use blackberry ... and finally i decided that using 2 phones is not really effective for my drive, because I need App, and have 2 phone seperately is not workable for me.

One day, i saw some samsung ads (yeah again, ads !), Love the design, love the feature, I don't do research throughly, and finally i bought android, many apps, many choice of email client, communication app is great, with several limitation for sure. Now I use android for my work phone, email, sosmed app, and for music still with my apple music. Blackberry stuck in my drawer

A $1000 stainless waterproof watch that says bleepco vs a $100 stainless waterproof watch that says flasio. Given they have the same functionality and consumer is purchasing solely on popularity. Yes it is ignorance.
    People purchase blindly based on perception with no research or without even picking up another device for comparison.
    Fashion by the way is one of the most useless industries. Some of the worst designs and products are created with fashion first in mind. It is a very profitable industry and depends on "me too" mindset for survival. Definitely has its place but it is unwise to invest heavily into fashion first as a consumer unless you have plenty of cash to spend.

Your situation well describes the average consumer. Impulsively buy and throw more money at it until you find something that meets your needs.
    Now imagine blackberry OS10 with all the apps you need. The only thing preventing that is user base. Devs go where there is money to be made. What is stopping the average consumer from flocking to blackberry?

Posted via CB10
    11-05-15 09:18 PM
    Americans have to see advertising to trust anything to be worth a damn. There has to be boosting. There has to be bravado. Not enough comes from from BB though.
    11-05-15 09:35 PM
    Americans have to see advertising to trust anything to be worth a damn. There has to be boosting. There has to be bravado. Not enough comes from from BB though.
    MSFT would probably disagree. Strongly.
    11-05-15 10:44 PM
    A $1000 stainless waterproof watch that says bleepco vs a $100 stainless waterproof watch that says flasio. Given they have the same functionality and consumer is purchasing solely on popularity. Yes it is ignorance.
    People purchase blindly based on perception with no research or without even picking up another device for comparison.
    Fashion by the way is one of the most useless industries. Some of the worst designs and products are created with fashion first in mind. It is a very profitable industry and depends on "me too" mindset for survival. Definitely has its place but it is unwise to invest heavily into fashion first as a consumer unless you have plenty of cash to spend.

Your situation well describes the average consumer. Impulsively buy and throw more money at it until you find something that meets your needs.
    Now imagine blackberry OS10 with all the apps you need. The only thing preventing that is user base. Devs go where there is money to be made. What is stopping the average consumer from flocking to blackberry?

Posted via CB10
    Again, for you maybe fashion is ignorance since you don't like it, not for people in fashion world. It's all preferences. I think you don't like to be called ignorance just to buy $700 phone as well by a fashion person who don't like tech don't you ?

Op's experience and what he felt, is exactly the same the "so called isheep" felt from blackberry user. What's the difference ?

I don't think it's impulsive (certainly aware and mindful of what I did when I take out my cash Lol) when i bought iphone or blackberry or android. I bought what I need, and that's personal preference. Not ignorance

And it's consumer fault and ignorance not to buy blackberry so the developer left bb10 plaftform ?

Logically, people will go to something that offer more compare to something that offer something with limitation. That's smart and that's not ignorance

... i did imagine bb10 with so many apps, i did that a long time ago, and always get answer "this is a phone, not toy and this is for business person only" ... and now they proud to use android platform ? Kind of double standard imho at least

Blackberry once said they focuses on business segmental market ... but they do sell in consumer as well ... the sales is bad (they compare to other company which sells to consumer oriented market) and they blame dev for not supporting with apps. It just doesn't make any sense ...

11-05-15 10:45 PM
    Again, for you maybe fashion is ignorance since you don't like it, not for people in fashion world. It's all preferences. I think you don't like to be called ignorance just to buy $700 phone as well by a fashion person who don't like tech don't you ?

Op's experience and what he felt, is exactly the same the "so called isheep" felt from blackberry user. What's the difference ?

I don't think it's impulsive (certainly aware and mindful of what I did when I take out my cash Lol) when i bought iphone or blackberry or android. I bought what I need, and that's personal preference. Not ignorance

And it's consumer fault and ignorance not to buy blackberry so the developer left bb10 plaftform ?

Logically, people will go to something that offer more compare to something that offer something with limitation. That's smart and that's not ignorance

... i did imagine bb10 with so many apps, i did that a long time ago, and always get answer "this is a phone, not toy and this is for business person only" ... and now they proud to use android platform ? Kind of double standard imho at least

Blackberry once said they focuses on business segmental market ... but they do sell in consumer as well ... the sales is bad (they compare to other company which sells to consumer oriented market) and they blame dev for not supporting with apps. It just doesn't make any sense ...

Now you use the word ignorance. My argument is that intellect and independence have a lot to do with cell phone purchase.
    You are a great example of someone who choses a device by following public opinion/advertisement rather than research. It is the most common approach and really nothing wrong with it as that is the type of consumer that drives our economy. But someone who meets everything with objective reasoning will have realized that device may not suit their needs before making the impulsive buy.
    Now your analogy with fashion vs price... fashion doesn't always mean higher price. The $700 device with better specs, software and hardware is simply the better device, same as the tungsten carbide $1000 watch vs the stainless steel $100 watch. Someone who applies objective reasoning would chose the higher quality item over the fashionable or popular item if the price is comparable or justifiable.

We are way off course here though so lets just agree to disagree on this.
    11-06-15 06:51 AM
    I constantly make fun of all the apple users I know. iphonies. toiphone..

they are so limited in what their phone can do, i'm always pointing out how it's time to grow up and get a real phone. most recently I needed someone to wifi-direct me some files. he couldn't. he had a toy phone.

wasting money on crap like that is not a sign of intelligence.

Posted via CBX
    11-06-15 08:12 AM
    also, i've never met anyone who wasn't impressed by the passport...even though they said they'd stick with what they have because its familiar to them. it think this all comes back to poor marketing, and chen failing the company.

Posted via CBX
    11-06-15 08:14 AM
    Now you use the word ignorance. My argument is that intellect and independence have a lot to do with cell phone purchase.
    You are a great example of someone who choses a device by following public opinion/advertisement rather than research. It is the most common approach and really nothing wrong with it as that is the type of consumer that drives our economy. But someone who meets everything with objective reasoning will have realized that device may not suit their needs before making the impulsive buy.
    Now your analogy with fashion vs price... fashion doesn't always mean higher price. The $700 device with better specs, software and hardware is simply the better device, same as the tungsten carbide $1000 watch vs the stainless steel $100 watch. Someone who applies objective reasoning would chose the higher quality item over the fashionable or popular item if the price is comparable or justifiable.

We are way off course here though so lets just agree to disagree on this.
    Not agree

Believe it or not, passport is one of my choice to replace my Q10. And cause of the ads I saw, it trigger me to go to store showroom and checked for the showunit before i decided to purchase the note 5.

Some checklist for comparison with price related (and it's certainly not impulsive purchase lol)

Galaxy note 5 - $655
    Need to have
    - large ram (4gb); checked
    - email ; checked
    - communication app ; checked
    - after sales service ; checked
    - os support in a few years up ; checked
    - banking app : checked
    - bluetooth and nfc ; checked
    - pkb ; none

Good to have
    - entertainment, sosmed and various app ; checked
    - big screen ; checked
    - good camera front back ; checked
    - compatible with macbook ; checked

Great to have
    - Spen ; checked
    - fingerprints ; checked
    - double simcard ; checked
    - beautiful design and good material ; checked
    - future feature of payment : checked

Passport : $621
    Need to have
    - huge ram (3gb) ; under spec
    - email ; double checked
    - communication app ; no good app (apart from bbm whatsapp and sms)
    - after sales service ; not good
    - os support in a few years up ; uncertainty
    - banking app : none for me
    - pkb - double checked

Good to have
    - entertainment, sosmed and various app ; none
    - big screen ; odd size
    - good camera front back ; dunno

Great to have
    - Spen ; none
    - fingerprints ; none
    - double simcard ; none
    - future feature of payment : unknown

11-06-15 08:16 AM
    remember, if you don't find the app you like in bbw, there's a good chance it exists under another name...which is very annoying and a huge part of the problem.

if it really isn't there, you can use the android app. they run great.

Posted via CBX
    11-06-15 08:24 AM
    Not agree

Believe it or not, passport is one of my choice to replace my Q10. And cause of the ads I saw, it trigger me to go to store showroom and checked for the showunit before i decided to purchase the note 5.

Some checklist for comparison with price related (and it's certainly not impulsive purchase lol)

Galaxy note 5 - $655
    Need to have
    - large ram (4gb); checked
    - email ; checked
    - communication app ; checked
    - after sales service ; checked
    - os support in a few years up ; checked
    - banking app : checked
    - pkb ; none

Good to have
    - entertainment, sosmed and various app ; checked
    - big screen ; checked
    - good camera front back ; checked

Great to have
    - Spen ; checked
    - fingerprints ; checked
    - double simcard ; checked
    - future feature of payment : checked

Passport : $621
    Need to have
    - huge ram (3gb) ; under spec
    - email ; double checked
    - communication app ; no good app (apart from bbm whatsapp and sms)
    - after sales service ; not good
    - os support in a few years up ; uncertainty
    - banking app : none for me
    - pkb - double checked

Good to have
    - entertainment, sosmed and various app ; none
    - big screen ; odd size
    - good camera front back ; dunno

Great to have
    - Spen ; none
    - fingerprints ; none
    - double simcard ; none
    - future feature of payment : unknown

You are also comparing a device 1 full year older than the note 5. But at least 3rd time the charm and you finally tuned your purchase choice to decide what you actually need rather than just listening to everyone else.
    Just as a side note though 4 gigs ram on that android is equivalent to 3 on OS10. Its like comparing specs to iPhone.. really the iPhone is superior still in all performance categories to an android device with anywhere near the same specs.
    11-06-15 08:27 AM
    You are also comparing a device 1 full year older than the note 5. But at least 3rd time the charm and you finally tuned your purchase choice to decide what you actually need rather than just listening to everyone else.
    Just as a side note though 4 gigs ram on that android is equivalent to 3 on OS10. Its like comparing specs to iPhone.. really the iPhone is superior still in all performance categories to an android device with anywhere near the same specs.
    Lol it's u who assume i purchased something from listening to others and i know iphone with 1 ram can compete with android 4 ram, that's it a "need to have" category before i buy android phone

Yes i year phone with a new announce phone, with current price not too far huh ? Dunno which one of us more brand minded

11-06-15 09:04 AM
    Lol it's u who assume i purchased something from listening to others and i know iphone with 1 ram can compete with android 4 ram, that's it a "need to have" category before i buy android phone

Yes i year phone with a new announce phone, with current price not too far huh ? Dunno which one of us more brand minded

You said yourself you listened to ads and others to determine it was what you needed. But your right I did make an assumption

You made an assumption I recently purchased my Passport. In fact I have had it since AT&T launch and still paid under $621. Today an unlocked passport is $499 direct from Blackberry. This coupled with the fact that I loathe android, dislike iOS and have found WP OS unusable have left me a OS10 user. I don't like Blackberry as a company, they have no clue how to cater to customers and rarely stay competitive in hardware. on the other hand the OS is awesome and does exactly what I need. I clearly don't use the opinions of others to determine my choice of smart phone and actually thought the Passport was pretty ugly when it first came out. Its functionality won out and now I adore it.
    11-06-15 09:14 AM
    well said. if blackberry had a marketing dept, they should hire you as a consultant.

Posted via CBX
    11-06-15 10:01 AM
    You said yourself you listened to ads and others to determine it was what you needed. But your right I did make an assumption

You made an assumption I recently purchased my Passport. In fact I have had it since AT&T launch and still paid under $621. Today an unlocked passport is $499 direct from Blackberry. This coupled with the fact that I loathe android, dislike iOS and have found WP OS unusable have left me a OS10 user. I don't like Blackberry as a company, they have no clue how to cater to customers and rarely stay competitive in hardware. on the other hand the OS is awesome and does exactly what I need. I clearly don't use the opinions of others to determine my choice of smart phone and actually thought the Passport was pretty ugly when it first came out. Its functionality won out and now I adore it.
    Come on who said or assume u just bought passport that check list is my checklist and automatically, the price is current price at my country.

And finally u said it yourself, functionality won out, u suit passport then use it, i won't assume others to buy with impulsive, cause it's not my business and not my place to judge as well. Hopefully u won't either I suit my phone now, it's my choice with my own preferences, maybe some are impulsive, but some may have full aware of what they need.

11-06-15 11:49 AM
    Come on who said or assume u just bought passport that check list is my checklist and automatically, the price is current price at my country.

And finally u said it yourself, functionality won out, u suit passport then use it, i won't assume others to buy with impulsive, cause it's not my business and not my place to judge as well. Hopefully u won't either I suit my phone now, it's my choice with my own preferences, maybe some are impulsive, but some may have full aware of what they need.

"Yes i year phone with a new announce phone, with current price not too far huh ? Dunno which one of us more brand minded "

You implied that I purchased my Passport with superior spec options available. Truth is there may have been better spec devices out at the time but none ran OS10 so it doesn't matter either way.
    My observation is that average consumer does not use their own needs to determine device purchase, hype is usually the biggest deciding factor and also brand loyalty.
    11-06-15 12:01 PM
81 1234