I am experimenting with the USB OTG capability on my passport.

While it works with USB memory sticks, it doesn't work with a USB drive in NTFS format. I know it works with FAT32, but NTFS is a common format. Since it's a Microsoft technology, I wonder if BlackBerry 10 will support it one day?

Otherwise, is there any other common file system for both Windows and BlackBerry 10 for a USB drive besides FAT32?

Thanks.
    12-03-14 08:12 AM
    NTFS is a common format, but it also requires licensing from Microsoft. There are a few workarounds for this, like Linux's NTFS implementation, but BlackBerry hasn't implemented this yet. Your best bet would be to submit the idea to the icanmakeitbetter website.
    12-03-14 08:15 AM
    I am experimenting with the USB OTG capability on my passport.

While it works with USB memory sticks, it doesn't work with a USB drive in NTFS format. I know it works with FAT32, but NTFS is a common format. Since it's a Microsoft technology, I wonder if BlackBerry 10 will support it one day?

Otherwise, is there any other common file system for both Windows and BlackBerry 10 for a USB drive besides FAT32?

Thanks.
    Tried exFAT? Should work with the official OS or newer.

Posted via CB10
    12-03-14 08:34 AM
    Tried exFAT? Should work with the official OS or newer.

Posted via CB10
    Thanks. I think you are right, I could use exFAT on USB drive. Then both Windows and BlackBerry 10 could read them. However, I still think NTFS is a better and more robust (with journaling) file system for external UBS drive.

I might give it a try, because it looks really cool to use a huge external USB drive for BlackBerry 10.

But I still wish BlackBerry 10 could support NTFS, it's kinda an enterprise feature, too.
    12-03-14 08:56 AM
    NTFS is a common format, but it also requires licensing from Microsoft. There are a few workarounds for this, like Linux's NTFS implementation, but BlackBerry hasn't implemented this yet. Your best bet would be to submit the idea to the icanmakeitbetter website.
    Interesting idea. I've just submitted it to https://blackberry.icanmakeitbetter....nal-usb-drives

Cheers
    12-03-14 09:04 AM