You have raised some very interesting issues here indeed! Let's see what we have here then.

I have backed up everything using Link, but this will only be of any use, if the BBID infrastructure does not go south. If it does, then my backup goes south too.

If I want to wipe clean my phone and BBID is shut down, then I may not be able to do it.

But if I somehow get rid of my BBID now (I remember this being explained on another thread, although I can't find it now...), I then won't be able to recover my native apps, right? In which case, I will be able to wipe clean my phone and then run an autoloader, but still no native apps...So, I lose both ways.....unless I don't ever have to wipe clean my phone?? Then I wouldn't really need the backup I have created and for as long as the phone functions, everything should be reasonably ok?
    I think you described the situation correctly.

So basicaly, you're be throwing in the towel now on native app restoring for the ability to prevent a potentially bricked device.
    12-27-19 12:44 PM
    12-27-19 12:52 PM
    I think you described the situation correctly.

So basicaly, you're be throwing in the towel now on native app restoring for the ability to prevent a potentially bricked device.
    Well yes, but as far as I understand it can only be a potentially bricked device, if both below criteria are met:

1) BBID is gone forever
    2) I need to wipe clean my phone after BBID is gone at some point in time.

Otherwise, the said phone will continue to work normally.

Correct?
    12-27-19 12:53 PM
    Well yes, but as far as I understand it can only be a potentially bricked device, if both below criteria are met:

1) BBID is gone forever
    2) I need to wipe clean my phone after BBID is gone at some point in time.

Otherwise, the said phone will continue to work normally.

Correct?
    Yes.
    Radoslav Valkov likes this.
    12-27-19 12:56 PM
    Ultimate Backup is much better in my opinion than anything to do with Link.

Link tends to restore the very issues you try to get rid of with a clean install.
    This is true of any full backup, obviously. But I agree. I use Link the same way as I use any backup image software, to return to a previous "known good" image.

Beyond that, I find that Link works well for syncing document files to my PC on a daily basis, which is essential now that the native cloud syncing options are no longer supported.

From the screen of my trusty Z10 using the exceptional BlackBerry VKB.
    12-27-19 02:13 PM
    So, I was advised here that Ultimate Backup was the best product out there for BB10. Well at $9.99 it is not! A warning to all BB10 devise users, the FREE "Switch Devise" does exactly the same thing! I wanted to also backup Apps on my phone from BBW, but the sham paid for service doesn't do it! It does exactly what the FREE version does! I went with the recommendation of a trusted member! Don't waste your time or money! As a side note, how can we backup our BBW Apps so that December 31st BBW shutdown does not gravely affect us? Thanks,

Posted via my Passport
    Crusader, what was your issue? Ultimate Backup never claimed to back up apps, but you can back them up using Link/Sachesi/DBBT. UB does a very solid job with everything else though--even allowing cloud backup in conjunction with Remote File Access.

Posted via CB10
    12-27-19 05:39 PM
31 12