I purchased my phone unlocked and sim free - will my phone get official OS release update notifications?
    10-11-14 12:46 PM
    As soon as you put in a SIM card from any carrier, you will receive update notifications only through that carrier. Each carrier has to push them out through their own network, there is no direct line to BlackBerry (unless maybe you never put in a SIM card at all).
    10-11-14 12:52 PM
    Thanks for the reply, apart from Vodafone no UK carrier has actually sold the device. I am not with Vodafone, so I am wondering how I will get an official update to my device without having to use a leak (i am not comfortable downloading such software and especially leaks).
    10-11-14 12:57 PM
    same problem here. i'm with virgin mobile

Posted via CB10
    10-11-14 01:00 PM
    Thanks for the reply, apart from Vodafone no UK carrier has actually sold the device. I am not with Vodafone, so I am wondering how I will get an official update to my device without having to use a leak (i am not comfortable downloading such software and especially leaks).
    As you purchased the device unlocked. You can get to your local Tesco Express with 1 Golden Queenie in your hand and get a PAYG Vodafone sim card. Then, when Vodafone release an update before anyone else, just pop the sim card in, and hey presto!

Posted via CB10
    alpha beta gaga and UKAsh like this.
    10-11-14 04:31 PM
    Using the utility Sachesi and searching for software via carriers I can see versions available for o2, vodafone, EE and Three so I'd think there is a default software repository for carriers that don't sell the Passport.

I've not searched for Virgin but can tomorrow if that helps?

Posted via CB10
    UKAsh likes this.
    10-11-14 05:00 PM
    Using the utility Sachesi and searching for software via carriers I can see versions available for o2, vodafone, EE and Three so I'd think there is a default software repository for carriers that don't sell the Passport.

I've not searched for Virgin but can tomorrow if that helps?

Posted via CB10
    So you are saying that eventually the updates will come out on carriers that don't carry the device?
    10-11-14 06:34 PM
    I can't say for sure but I'm fairly confident that would be the case.

Posted via CB10
    10-12-14 02:01 AM
    I purchased my phone unlocked and sim free - will my phone get official OS release update notifications?
    I live in a country which has been abandoned by BlackBerry Limited. (BlackBerry 10 OS devices have never been sold in this country.)

Nevertheless, when I turned on the unlocked SQW100-1 (purchased at Amazon.com) the device automatically started downloading updates (differences between Software Release 10.3.0.675 and Software Release 10.3.0.738 after Wi-Fi connection was established but before APN was set.

It appears that Rogers (Canadian carrier) alone has started pushing Software Release 10.3.0.908 out. But I have already upgraded my device to Software Release 10.3.0.908 with Sachesi.

https://www.ptcrb.com/vendor/complet...?modelid=25955

UK Pasport Holders - OS question-img_20141012_165129.png
    10-12-14 03:09 AM
    carphone wharehouse sell them ....if you can get hold of one
    10-12-14 03:20 AM
    P.S.

Device software for legacy OS (4 / 5 / 6 / 7) devices (sold through various carriers around the globe) has been stored on a server of Research In Motion Limited

Desktop & Device Software Download Sites for BlackBerry Users

and distributed therefrom.

Likewise, device software for BlackBerry 10 OS devices (sold through various carriers around the globe) has been stored on a server (cdn.fs.sl.blackberry.com) of BlackBerry Limited and distributed therefrom.
    10-12-14 03:22 AM
    Presumably it's no different to unlocked devices previously. Some carriers didn't support the specific handset. I know with BBOS I'd get fed up waiting for Vodafone to push updates and just download it from the BlackBerry website instead.

It is then official alright, it's not a leak.

Posted via CB10
    10-12-14 05:05 AM
    As of yesterday, Vodafone had not pushed the update to my Passport so I just installed it with Sachesi.

It was a fairly simple process even for a longtime Legacy OS user proudly owning his first BB10 device.

And for UKAsh's peace of mind, it is not a leaked OS, it is a Passport specific OS released by a Canadian carrier.
    10-12-14 06:06 AM
    Thanks everyone. If the OS has not been pushed out by next week, I will attempt it myself.
    10-12-14 06:57 AM
    It is then official alright, it's not a leak.
    Personally I take such OS as official.

Posted via CB10
    10-12-14 09:42 AM
    As of yesterday, Vodafone had not pushed the update to my Passport so I just installed it with Sachesi.

It was a fairly simple process even for a longtime Legacy OS user proudly owning his first BB10 device.

And for UKAsh's peace of mind, it is not a leaked OS, it is a Passport specific OS released by a Canadian carrier.
    Legal,
    did u use the OS from Rogers? since im new to BB, just wondering if I should use Country code 302 and carrier code 720(rogers)
    10-12-14 10:14 AM
    Legal,
    did u use the OS from Rogers? since im new to BB, just wondering if I should use Country code 302 and carrier code 720(rogers)
    Yes, used the Rogers OS with those codes.

It does install 2 Rogers specific apps but you can just delete them.

After Sachesi has installed the file the first re start takes quite some time so don't panic if it seems to be taking ages, just be patient and it will come to life !!!
    nihal castelino likes this.
    10-12-14 10:19 AM
    Yes, used the Rogers OS with those codes.

It does install 2 Rogers specific apps but you can just delete them.

After Sachesi has installed the file the first re start takes quite some time so don't panic if it seems to be taking ages, just be patient and it will come to life !!!
    dude thanks for a super quick reply
    10-12-14 10:20 AM
    just wondering if I should use Country code 302 and carrier code 720(rogers)
    There is no other choice for the time being.

Posted via CB10
    nihal castelino likes this.
    10-12-14 10:21 AM
    dude thanks for a super quick reply
    No problem, after all, if it wasn't for you I might still be waiting to get my Passport !!!

For Sachesi, there is a very good How To Guide stickied in the Leaked/Beta OS Forum.

Happy Loading !!!
    10-12-14 10:27 AM
    No problem, after all, if it wasn't for you I might still be waiting to get my Passport !!!

For Sachesi, there is a very good How To Guide stickied in the Leaked/Beta OS Forum.

Happy Loading !!!
    Cheers Long live BlackBerry
    10-12-14 10:54 AM
    all done. thanks for the help Legal
    Legal Eagle likes this.
    10-12-14 11:28 AM