Long story short, I really need some of you Passport/BB10 expert's help.

After months of relatively perfect use, my Passport decided to act all weird a moment ago. None of my 'desktop' icons work anymore. When I select any of them, the page of icons quickly slide off the screen then back again. Nothing works; no Hub, no contacts, no phone, no camera, no browser.

Naturally, I tried turning it off then back on. I tried hard resetting the device. I also tried connecting it to my desktop via USB cable to access the files but it can no longer mount the device. This also means BlackBerry Link or Blend don't work. Has anyone seen, experienced or heard of someone coming across a situation like this before? My phone is virtually useless and I'm ready to give it back to BlackBerry and move on from BB devices altogether as this is completely unacceptable.

The last thing I want to do is to wipe clean the device and restore factory settings (assuming it'd let me) and I truly hope it won't have to come to that. Oh Crackberry experts, please tell me this can have a happy ending!

-Not too pleased
    03-12-15 10:04 PM
    What did you do to turn it off and back on and for the hard reset. Anything look odd when you do that.

When you connected to the computer, did you open link manually and see if it detected the phone or just waited for auto mount.

Did you install anything new before this started. Any app BlackBerry or Android. Any os update or app update. Anything at all that you changed or added.

Have u tried removing any sd card and sim and then restarting/hard resetting.

Posted via CB10
    03-12-15 11:25 PM
    Can you swipe down from the top, get to settings and maybe the device manager? Sounds like something is trying to open but then fails.

Posted via CB10
    03-12-15 11:32 PM
    What did you do to turn it off and back on and for the hard reset. Anything look odd when you do that.

When you connected to the computer, did you open link manually and see if it detected the phone or just waited for auto mount.

Did you install anything new before this started. Any app BlackBerry or Android. Any os update or app update. Anything at all that you changed or added.

Have u tried removing any sd card and sim and then restarting/hard resetting.

Posted via CB10
    I turned off the device via the top-right button. For the hard reset, I used the volume up+down buttons simultaneously. Everything appeared normal except perhaps that when it was starting back up, it seemed to start back up much quicker than usual. This might mean that the restart/reboot wasn't a true reboot.

Interesting thing I noticed though was that when you mistype your password, it doesn't tell you that you have, for example, 2/10 more attempts. It just allows you to retype another password, over and over.

Regarding connecting to my computer, the BB device manager starts and it recognizes my Passport device name and PIN. It stops when it gets to the point where it tries to mount the device as a hard drive though. If I run Link and try to connect through the software, it flat out says it can't connect and to either retry or reload.

I don't use an SD but I did pop out the SIM and it didn't make a difference. I definitely didn't install or run any new app prior to this shenanigan, which is why it has me dumb-founded. A complete random software meltdown.
    03-12-15 11:44 PM
    Can you swipe down from the top, get to settings and maybe the device manager? Sounds like something is trying to open but then fails.

Posted via CB10
    Yes, the swipe down does work but selecting settings from here doesn't work either. There's no way to trick it!

It kind of seems like my BB10 profile is not even properly loaded and that only the "image" of my icons appears, not an actual functional version of the operating system.
    03-12-15 11:50 PM
    Although I'm curious as to how this happened and also whether something so bizarre has occurred to anybody else, this has now rendered my device (with all my valuable data on it) completely ineffective. My last full backup was done via Link on March 6th so I'm going to go ahead and do a factory reset (a wipe) and restore my device from about last week. Not my preferred option but still better than having no device at all. My Passport is both a personal and business tool so it's mission critical!
    03-12-15 11:54 PM
    Press the power button 3 times in a row to turn off screen reader mode

Sent from my BlackBerry 10 smartphone on 4G Altel network
    03-12-15 11:58 PM
    Maybe you can use sachesi and update to 10.3.1 if you're not already on it. It'll be a nondestructive update leaving all your stuff intact but it doesn't guarantee if it'll fix the issue. Also that's assuming it gets detected by the software.

I'm not sure if you can use it to do a nondestructive reload of the same os you have. you can search the forums maybe.

Posted via CB10
    03-13-15 12:45 AM
    Sometimes the os can get corrupted! Usually the cause is constant install and delete of apps. It's rare but it can happen! All you can do is do a factory reset!

Posted via CB10
    03-13-15 11:19 AM
    Well, I still don't have a reason for what happened nor an understanding of what exactly happened, but my phone is up n running again after an OS reinstall followed by a system backup restore via Link. I missed about a week's worth of notes but everything else synced back up perfectly. I pray this OS hiccup doesn't happen ever again!
    03-13-15 05:42 PM
    I'm having the exact same issue. None of my apps will open when I tap them, it just moves to the home screen and they disappear... whenever I restart (which loads hella fast) it they work for a while then when one suddenly stops the rest follow suit again. Tried everything bar the full factory reset, but nothing works, even after this latest official 'fix' update.

via BlackBerry Passport
    03-16-15 06:15 PM
    This just happened to me too...ugh so annoying and havent figured out a fix
    03-16-15 08:25 PM
    Wipe is all I can suggest, clean install

Blackberry Passport running 10.3.1.2480
    03-16-15 08:35 PM
    Well, like the advice given above, make sure it's not the screen reader on.

Then, why are people so scared of a full reset? Yeah it sucks to lose your data, but really you should have backups of important stuff, and it doesn't take that long to get it back the way it was.

Is it more important to not wipe than to have a non functional brick?

Posted via CB10
    03-16-15 08:37 PM
    Sorry to hear that others are having this issue too but my Passport has been up and running perfectly once again since the factory reset and system restore.

The main thing I learned out of this one is to continue to do a full backup of your system periodically to mitigate the amount of potential lost data. I lost about a week only but that obviously could've been much, much worse if I didn't make it a habit to backup every week or so.
    03-16-15 09:12 PM
    did you ever solve this... same thing is happening now with my passport
    05-31-17 08:54 PM
    Mine periodically does this however I attributed it to 10.3.3 as it never occurred on 10.3.2. A device wipe fixes the issue for awhile but it comes back eventually. I've even tried autoloaders of different 10.3.3 builds with no luck.

Posted via CB10
    05-31-17 10:49 PM
    I suspect something in BB's way to push us out!

Since few days, I cannot open any general settings (the setting app crash).
    I canot wipe the device since it need to go security settings to do so, and of course, I can't link the device to PC since it need to change a setting for that too (it will only charge the phone).

I tried to delete *every* apps that I have with no results.
    I tried the trick to hold the Power button until it try to reboot to go to security wipe that way, but no luck neither. It will indefinitely reboot without the needed security wipe.

I then stuck with a PP that I love, but canot change any setting or connect it to PC.

And why that happened a bit before the K1 launch ?! Coincidence ?!

Posted via CB10
    06-01-17 10:07 AM