Good evening,

I've been following news and articles on Crackberry for a while now and decided to contribute something to the community.
    Now that smartwatches are getting more and more popular and affordable I actually decided to take a closer look at these smart devices. I read a lot about the Pebble watches being compatible with OS 10 using the right apps from BlackBerry world, however I read a lot about certain restrictions regarding functionality. As a person who was unsure of the personal and actual use of a smartwatch - not just treating it as a neat gimmick - I didn't feel like paying 100-200 for such a device. Like many others I wanted to see whether or not the concept fits me as a user and consumer, then pay a decent amount for an adequate companion. First things first, unlike some ( I said some, not all ) my expectations of a smartwatch are mainly subsidiary not substituting a smartphone. Take a quick and discreet glance at the watch to check for notifications in a meeting instead of checking my Passport or having it face up on the desk, never miss a call or the confirmation email you've been looking forward to all week. That's it. Browsing the Internet I came across these U8 smartwatches which cost 15-25 bucks depending on where you live. They are fully functional with android only, however iOS users can use it as a bluetooth hands-free or place calls from their wrist. Since we can run android apps on our 10.3 OS devices, I decided to give it a try. You can find detailed information on the U8 on the Internet. Now after trial and error and research I got it paired with my Passport and it works - with restrictions of course. I can take and place calls from my wrist (speaker and microphone built-in), access my call logs (dialled, received and missed), access my sms (inbox,sent), my phonebook and the notifications. Well, here it begins. The notifications I get are android only (e.g. Instagram, telegram, NFL et cetera). I don't get my emails (you do, if you use the android apps for gmail, yahoo, etc.) or Facebook notifications as they are BlackBerry hub integrated - please correct me, I'm not a programmer so excuse me if I get things wrong here.
    The ability to get phone calls on your wrist is great when you forgot to charge your bluetooth headset or get the call even though your blackberry is on silent or out of reach.
    To sum it up I found it quite appealing and consider upgrading to a watch of better quality since the U8 is kind of great but is cheap looking. First thing I did was change the watchband.
    So, this is not a review neither a guide on how to connect the watch to your blackberry. If you would like to get detailed information, please let me know. I decided to share my impressions as I came across users who wanted to know if the U8 is compatible with BlackBerry or not.
    I can do a review if it's demanded. Thanks!

Posted via CB10
    Patman1200 likes this.
    12-29-15 02:12 PM
    That's interesting. Thanks. I'd heard about the U8's but hadn't given them much thought.
    12-29-15 03:58 PM
    thanks to share your experience, I have a look about this smartwach but don't want to try.
    01-04-16 06:56 AM
    I'd love to see a more detailed review, or at least some more information about any apps. you had to install to get the level of functionality that you talk about.
    mixsiak likes this.
    01-08-16 03:37 AM
    Thanks for the feedback. I'll certainly post some kind of manual along with a review within the next couple of days.

Posted via CB10
    01-09-16 02:26 PM
    I'd love to see a more detailed review, or at least some more information about any apps. you had to install to get the level of functionality that you talk about.
    Setting up the U8 (+ commentary review kind of thing)

After unboxing the U8 you have a lot of plastic in your hand. No, it's not packaging materials, it's the watch itself. Plastic with a cheap rubber band with a plastic touchscreen (not those soft ones from first touchscreen phones). Turn the watch on and you'll be greeted by an annoying tune. Please note that there are several 'U8' watches. Mine is a Yuntab U8. I honestly can't tell the difference, some are generic and one's the original but since they're all Chinese, I didn't look up what differentiates them. Playing around with it you'll quickly find the Bluetooth icon and a QR code. Scanning the code you'll be redirected to a site that offers you the companion app for download. That didn't work on my Passport. More to it later. The bluetooth connection between Passport and U8 worked just right. At this point you have following functions available :
    - hands-free: take calls, place calls; also dialer
    - phonebook access and sms
    - bluetooth music: play music from phone on watch
    - basics (work headless without a phone): calculator, calendar, alarm

Try opening the notifier on the watch and you get the 'Please install bt notifier on device' message. Long story short I ended up downloading every btnotification app from Google play store until 1 finally worked but didn't. Yea right. It worked for a second but immediately said 'Please install bt notifier on device'. I opened the app on my Passport and it sends you to the accessibility settings to enable smartwatch features. De facto the accessibility on our BlackBerrys doesn't offer named option. After some frustration and two cups of coffee later I figured that I must get into the android settings of my Passport and access the accessibility from there. Didn't took me long to find an app in Google play that does the exact same thing. Name's 'Ghost commander file manager'. From there you launch the settings, enter accessibility and voil you can finally enable smartwatch and the runtime pushes your notifications straight to your wrist.
    The notifier app that works for me is the SMARTWATCH from rwatch. Keep in mind that if you reset your phone, you need to enable smartwatch from ghost commander again.
    Now all in all the watch does its job. Not more, not less. I'm quite satisfied of the restricted functionality as named before but the ability to place and take calls makes it a hell of a deal.
    If you have trouble finding the apps, I'll post their links. But you should be able to find them easily.

Posted via CB10
    marshalla99 likes this.
    01-11-16 01:23 PM
    Thanks, that's really helpful. I've decided to get a U8 to try out.

Just one question - which Rwatch app did you download ? there seem to be 4 or 5 with similar names. A release date might be the easiest way to identify it.
    01-13-16 03:29 AM
    Thanks, that's really helpful. I've decided to get a U8 to try out.

Just one question - which Rwatch app did you download ? there seem to be 4 or 5 with similar names. A release date might be the easiest way to identify it.
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....bt.smartwatch

Here you are.

Posted via CB10
    marshalla99 likes this.
    01-13-16 04:03 AM
    Thanks again. I'll report back how I get on when my watch arrives.
    01-13-16 06:33 AM
    Thanks again. I'll report back how I get on when my watch arrives.
    I'm looking forward to hearing from you. Cheers mate!

Posted via CB10
    01-13-16 07:07 AM
    OP, thank you for your detailed review. Very helpful.

I have a quick question for you. How is its battery life on an average? Thanks.

Posted via CB10 from Passport SQW100-4/10.3.2.2876
    01-14-16 03:08 AM
    OP, thank you for your detailed review. Very helpful.

I have a quick question for you. How is its battery life on an average? Thanks.

The first 3 'days' were quite awful. Battery held for less than 5h. Once the battery balanced and got a full charge, it holds approximately 20h with notifications only, around 12h with a couple phone calls (less than 10min talk time each call). Right now my watch seems to have its case cracked as the watch bands fell of. By the way I had changed the watchband with a polycarbonate band in steel optics, 22mm will do the job.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by New_England; 01-14-16 at 07:02 AM.
    01-14-16 04:10 AM
    OK. I've received my watch (Jidetech, which identifies itself as Smartwatch SW8) and, thanks to your help, most functions seem to be working well with the app. you linked to. Like you, I've tried a few other apps., and very few seem to work at all.

I can make and receive calls, check my contacts list (although there doesn't seem to be a way of searching it so it's too big to be useful on the watch), use it as a media player and even activate the camera.

But I can't seem to get SMS notifications working at all, and the inbox and sent messages are showing as empty on the watch even though I know I have lots there. It does attempt to retrieve, but always comes back as empty.
    01-14-16 06:51 AM
    OK. I've received my watch (Jidetech, which identifies itself as Smartwatch SW8) and, thanks to your help, most functions seem to be working well with the app. you linked to. Like you, I've tried a few other apps., and very few seem to work at all.

I can make and receive calls, check my contacts list (although there doesn't seem to be a way of searching it so it's too big to be useful on the watch), use it as a media player and even activate the camera.

But I can't seem to get SMS notifications working at all, and the inbox and sent messages are showing as empty on the watch even though I know I have lots there. It does attempt to retrieve, but always comes back as empty.
    Yea, skimming the contact list via watch is quite an act, I mostly use the dialer or check my call logs.
    As you're using a different kind of U8 I suppose that might be the reason sms notification doesn't work or maybe it's the app, I'll check if my sms notification stopped working as well. But I always had access to my inbox and sent items.
    I don't know if you already checked or not. Most of these watches also have a pedometer, which in my case seems to be fairly accurate, and a barometer and altimeter which disappoint all the way but it's quite logical that the watch neither has proper sensors nor a database to acquire info from.
    Have fun with your watch, I'm trying to fix my frame or maybe order a new one.

Posted via CB10
    01-14-16 07:00 AM
    The official app. for my watch also seems to work : https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...btnotification but still doesn't do anything with SMS.

I wonder if it's something to do with the OS upgrade I allowed yesterday ?
    01-14-16 07:50 AM
    Could be. I didn't update my OS as I read of certain issues with contacts and overall android runtime stability.

Posted via CB10
    01-14-16 09:17 AM
    Digging a bit deeper, and doing some simple analysis through Linux, my watch reports as a Mediatek 6227 device - which most of these U8s are - so it should work with any of the compatible software, but clearly it doesn't.

Judging by the feedback the apps. have on Google Play it seems like successful connection depends on which way the wind is blowing and what colour of underwear you're wearing.
    01-14-16 12:33 PM
    The first 3 'days' were quite awful. Battery held for less than 5h. Once the battery balanced and got a full charge, it holds approximately 20h with notifications only, around 12h with a couple phone calls (less than 10min talk time each call). Right now my watch seems to have its case cracked as the watch bands fell of. By the way I had changed the watchband with a polycarbonate band in steel optics, 22mm will do the job.

Posted via CB10
    May I turn off answering calls via watch and use notification function only? I don't see it too useful with less than a day battery life.

01-15-16 01:53 AM
    May I turn off answering calls via watch and use notification function only? I don't see it too useful with less than a day battery life.

By default it's not possible to disable that. Once you take a call you can manually switch the device on your phone's screen to handset and talk via phone. The watch then shows the ongoing call but turns the screen off to save battery.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by New_England; 01-15-16 at 01:31 PM.
    01-15-16 03:10 AM
    Good evening,

I've been following news and articles on Crackberry for a while now and decided to contribute something to the community.
    Now that smartwatches are getting more and more popular and affordable I actually decided to take a closer look at these smart devices. I read a lot about the Pebble watches being compatible with OS 10 using the right apps from BlackBerry world, however I read a lot about certain restrictions regarding functionality. As a person who was unsure of the personal and actual use of a smartwatch - not just treating it as a neat gimmick - I didn't feel like paying 100-200 for such a device. Like many others I wanted to see whether or not the concept fits me as a user and consumer, then pay a decent amount for an adequate companion. First things first, unlike some ( I said some, not all ) my expectations of a smartwatch are mainly subsidiary not substituting a smartphone. Take a quick and discreet glance at the watch to check for notifications in a meeting instead of checking my Passport or having it face up on the desk, never miss a call or the confirmation email you've been looking forward to all week. That's it. Browsing the Internet I came across these U8 smartwatches which cost 15-25 bucks depending on where you live. They are fully functional with android only, however iOS users can use it as a bluetooth hands-free or place calls from their wrist. Since we can run android apps on our 10.3 OS devices, I decided to give it a try. You can find detailed information on the U8 on the Internet. Now after trial and error and research I got it paired with my Passport and it works - with restrictions of course. I can take and place calls from my wrist (speaker and microphone built-in), access my call logs (dialled, received and missed), access my sms (inbox,sent), my phonebook and the notifications. Well, here it begins. The notifications I get are android only (e.g. Instagram, telegram, NFL et cetera). I don't get my emails (you do, if you use the android apps for gmail, yahoo, etc.) or Facebook notifications as they are BlackBerry hub integrated - please correct me, I'm not a programmer so excuse me if I get things wrong here.
    The ability to get phone calls on your wrist is great when you forgot to charge your bluetooth headset or get the call even though your blackberry is on silent or out of reach.
    To sum it up I found it quite appealing and consider upgrading to a watch of better quality since the U8 is kind of great but is cheap looking. First thing I did was change the watchband.
    So, this is not a review neither a guide on how to connect the watch to your blackberry. If you would like to get detailed information, please let me know. I decided to share my impressions as I came across users who wanted to know if the U8 is compatible with BlackBerry or not.
    I can do a review if it's demanded. Thanks!

Posted via CB10
    I don't understand how to use the ghost app and to change accessibility.
    12-07-16 05:58 PM