After almost a week now, have started getting a hang of typing on it, though my thumbs aren't yet flying on the keyboard - not that I expect that to happen within a week. Anyone who's got signature-bb eyeless-typing good already?
    Last edited by Ankit RS; 10-18-14 at 05:24 AM.
    10-17-14 10:30 AM
    I can type reasonably fast now and also much more accurately, but the thing I've finally got the hang of vs. My Q10 is typing without looking!!

Who cares if you can type 50wpm vs 45wpm when you can type and walk without running into things! Haha

Posted via my game changer BlackBerry Passport
    10-17-14 10:35 AM
    Flying as in sail plane? Cessna? Boeing? F15?

After almost one day I am passing from Cessna to Boeing. But like every pilot without an auto pilot I still have to look.
    jakie55 and Aahleksh like this.
    10-17-14 10:39 AM
    Flying as in sail plane? Cessna? Boeing? F15?

After almost one day I am passing from Cessna to Boeing. But like every pilot without an auto pilot I still have to look.
    The question is how long does it take you to pass from Cessna to Boeing.
    10-17-14 10:51 AM
    It took me a week to get used of the keyboard and two weeks to write as fast as before.

Sent from my BlackBerry Passport
    10-17-14 04:38 PM
    Having to use a symbol still breaks my rhythm. Brain is still missing an alt key when it comes to physical keyboards.

Posted via CB10
    Aahleksh likes this.
    10-17-14 04:48 PM
    Yes! Coming from a Q10, Ive had my PP for a day and Im already faster than on my Q10. It remembered all of my go-to phrases for auto-word-complete, and its smoother/quicker to flick the suggested auto-completed phrases than to touch them on the screen (Q10). Also, the swipe down feature to bring up numbers symbols is awesome as well.
    Aahleksh and rawat_sandip like this.
    10-17-14 04:51 PM
    As the OP asked, has anyone been able to 100% without looking at the phone? I'd love to be able to do this again. That would be a huge plus coming from z10.
    Eagerly waiting to know..

Posted via CB10
    10-17-14 05:03 PM
    After a little bit over a week, yes I can type without looking until I need to type numbers or symbols :-)

To be honest though I have found a combo of typing and flicking to be just almost as fast. I prefer doing this whenever I have stranger next to me as a response would be like "Oh wow, what you just did there!"

Cheers
    Aahleksh and Timbosaurus like this.
    10-17-14 05:09 PM
    I can now type with one hand......ha

Posted via CB10
    10-17-14 05:10 PM
    ..and the farthest I can reach with one hand, without having to stretch the right thumb out of comfortable pose, is the letter W. Sigh. Lol.
    Aahleksh likes this.
    10-17-14 10:48 PM
    I don't think it's possible to type in the same manner that you once did with the traditional qwerty kb's. How can you? You always need to look at the virtual row when needing to insert punctuation.

I played with it finally in store today and within 5mins I was in love with it. I might not be flying at super speeds but I've come to realize that I derive most of my pleasure typing at a slower but very deliberate pace - something the Passport is amenable to anyway.

#CB10 #Q10 #Darkhorse
    PatrickMJS likes this.
    10-17-14 11:10 PM
    Two weeks in and not as fast as Q10 but getting there. A mix of looking at keyboard and looking at screen. Don't think anything will top the speed of the 9900 for me. The keyboard does have a wonderful feel to it though.

Interestingly, I took my case off recently and discovered I could type much better. I think it just has to do with the size of my hands. Surprised as I generally like using the case.

Posted via CB10
    10-17-14 11:31 PM
    Getting good. Some things are actually faster because of swipe and the fourth row, however still getting used to the weird space bar.

Posted via CB10
    Aahleksh likes this.
    10-17-14 11:38 PM
    I've had mine four days now and I'm still in the "making friends" stage. I'll say it again, this is a new input method. It's not the "traditional" BB keyboard and it's not intended to be.

All that said, I'm happy where I am with it now. I'm liking the way the num/sym keys map to the physical keyboard when you swipe down for it. Was worried there might be some false gestures picked up on the kb but I haven't seen that at all.

I don't know how fast I am on mobile (I'm about 60 wam on a "real" keyboard), and I'm pretty sure I'm not at my speediest yet on the Passport, but it hasn't turned me off at all and I'm sure it's going to get better.
    Aahleksh likes this.
    10-17-14 11:58 PM
    After almost a week now, have started getting a hang of typing on it, though the fingers aren't yet flying on the keyboard - not that I expect that to happen within a week. Anyone who's got signature-bb eyeless-typing good already?
    Getting there. I was watching movie previews tonight while typing a post on the forum here without much looking, and in fact am typing this right now while I'm looking primarily at my TV. It's not bad. Certainly improving, slowly but surely.

Posted via CB10
    10-18-14 12:04 AM
    Screamin'!!!

At first I had a lot of Z's ( anyone who's upgraded from a Q10 will get this) but now I frickin' love the virtual punctuation, numerals and special characters.

Posted via CB10
    Aahleksh and PatrickMJS like this.
    10-18-14 12:08 AM
    I don't think it's possible to type in the same manner that you once did with the traditional qwerty kb's. How can you? You always need to look at the virtual row when needing to insert punctuation.

#CB10 #Q10 #Darkhorse
    You don't always have to use the virtual row to insert punctuation. You can just swipe down on the keyboard and use keymapping instead. For example, I swipe down on the keyboard, press the 'k' key, and get an apostrophe.

Typing on Passport: Anyone flying yet?-passport-keyboard-swipe-down-version-cropped.jpg

The above method didn't require using the virtual row at all.
    10-18-14 12:40 AM
    I've been tping like crazy on this keyboard. It was awkward at first, but the Q10 keyboard feels like a joke now. And yes, I'm flying! I don't tap on words until there's a special character needed or the word is too long. But yes, I'm flying dude! The keys also feel less clicky then before, but the sound is there, which I like. But I've been typing A LOT.

Sent from my Squared Monstrosity!
    PatrickMJS likes this.
    10-18-14 12:59 AM
    Yes, I'm flying with my Passport.

Posted from my Canadian Passport
    10-18-14 02:18 AM
    I've had mine a little over 3 weeks now and I'm flying. Coming from my Z10 which has an excellent virtual keyboard my accuracy has also jumped going from around 80% to over 95%. It took a while to remember that, unlike a virtual keyboard, the way to get speed on a qwerty is by gliding your fingers not loosing contact with the keyboard. When I first got my PP I tapped like on a virtual (of course with more pressure ). That really slowed me down.

Posted via CB from my Passport SQW100-1/10.3.0.1418
    10-18-14 04:23 AM
    I've had it for three days and I'm not flying yet. Still getting used to the space bar, and some letters like the 'm'. I am still puzzled as to why there is no alt key.

That said, I am slowly getting better at typing. Keep in mind, I'm coming from the Q10.

Posted via CB10
    Aahleksh likes this.
    10-18-14 05:02 AM
    I used to have a 9900 and a friend of mine still does. He handed me his phone yesterday because he didn't know how to text a vcard and I must say, I had a hell of a time typing on it.

Bear in mind, I owned. 9900 and used to fly on it. So I am not so confident that I will take to my Passport like a duck to water.

I have never been a perfect touch typist to begin with and with so many devices, laptops, tablets, phones, etc, it's much more difficult to master the skill.

Posted via CB10
    10-18-14 05:10 AM
    Yep just flew last night out to Frankfurt Germany .

But seriously tho, I'm now pretty fast on the Passport whereas my first few days it took me time getting used to pressing keys as the past few yrs, I've been using the Z10 and Z30.

Absolutely loving my Passport, I can type without looking at the keyboard some of the time tho.

Posted via CB10
    Aahleksh and fanisk like this.
    10-18-14 05:15 AM
    Took me three weeks. I can now honestly say that I type faster and am more accurate than I was with my Z30. Also love the fact that I can once again type and not have to look at the keyboard! Forgot what that felt like.

Also to add to this. I had been using a soft keyboard since the Z10 came out so I think that's why it took me longer. Either that or I'm just slow

Posted via CB10
    Ankit RS and Hornicorn like this.
    10-18-14 08:29 AM
48 12