I type accurately without looking at the keyboard on my Z3

Posted via BlackBerry Z3
    10-18-14 08:37 AM
    the problem is not typing, the problem is the @ and the numbers!!
    still cant get used to that 100%, I picked up my Q10 earlier and boy am I fast, fingers are sliding, numbers symbol, it all comes together super fast!
    I'm not giving up though, I'm sure I will achieve a very decent level with the passport too!!
    10-18-14 08:44 AM
    I'm getting better even since I convinced myself that the swiping down action is the equivalent of pressing the alt key, followed by another key press. I find that thinking that way makes using the symbols much easier. It also means I use the keyboard for often used symbols such as the "I" for dashes and the "L" for quotation marks.
    PatrickMJS likes this.
    10-18-14 08:47 AM
    Typing isn't my problem. I still haven't found my comfort position yet. Its like I need to learn how to hold the phone all over again. Without the 4th row, it leaves the keys lower than my comfort level allows. I'll get there. Love the screen real estate!

Posted via CB10
    10-18-14 09:25 AM
    Took me a few days to get used to it but I am very happy with the experience now. Pretty much using the Passport for all emails now even when my computer is near

Passport on AT&T
    digitalman101 and PatrickMJS like this.
    10-18-14 09:51 AM
    Besides the speed, would like to know how comfortable and natural it is becoming.

Natural and comfy typing is more important to me. Let's say, compared with virtual keyboard, more traditional BlackBerry keyboard and laptops.

Thanks

Posted via CB10
    10-18-14 09:54 AM
    It feels comfortable and natural.

Just takes a bit to retrain muscle memory...

Posted with my Passport via CB10!
    PatrickMJS and digitalman101 like this.
    10-18-14 09:59 AM
    ..and the farthest I can reach with one hand, without having to stretch the right thumb out of comfortable pose, is the letter W. Sigh. Lol.
    Lool that's me on a Q10

The most unimportant things you never need to know. Pin:C002F4C05
    10-18-14 10:31 AM
    Me. I flying high with this keyboard. It took me only five minutes to type this whole thing and BAM! It's posted.

Posted via CB10
    10-18-14 10:43 AM
    I've had mine four days now and I'm still in the "making friends" stage. I'll say it again, this is a new input method. It's not the "traditional" BB keyboard and it's not intended to be.

All that said, I'm happy where I am with it now. I'm liking the way the num/sym keys map to the physical keyboard when you swipe down for it. Was worried there might be some false gestures picked up on the kb but I haven't seen that at all.

I don't know how fast I am on mobile (I'm about 60 wam on a "real" keyboard), and I'm pretty sure I'm not at my speediest yet on the Passport, but it hasn't turned me off at all and I'm sure it's going to get better.
    Did you just say symbols map to the physical keyboard? Like you can swipe down and press the corresponding physical button? Without touching the screen? Or did I understand your wrongly

Posted via CB10 on my Z10STL100-1/10.3.1.634
    10-18-14 11:00 AM
    Did you just say symbols map to the physical keyboard? Like you can swipe down and press the corresponding physical button? Without touching the screen? Or did I understand your wrongly

Yup, that's exactly how it works. It actually has several modes depending on whether you swipe down on the keyboard or press the @123 button. If you press the @123 button, it will leave the virtual keyboard up but without a physical key mapping (allowing you to type letters and symbols/numbers). If you swipe down, it will bring up the keyboard with the physical key mapping.

However it's even more clever. If you swipe down, and then press the mapped physical key, it will insert the one symbol and automatically return to regular keyboard mode. If you swipe down, but then touch the virtual keyboard, it will leave it up so that you can enter multiple symbols (although it's mostly useful for numbers, like entering $1200) until you press the space bar + a physical key.

It's actually quite amazing. Either because it shows how good humans are at adapting to new interfaces, or because it's actually a smart way to deal with symbols.

Posted via CB10
    Jeffm63 likes this.
    10-18-14 11:44 AM
    And yes, the post above was posted with a Passport. After almost four weeks, I can say that I'm flying on this thing,.. with many less corrections than the Z30.

Posted via CB10
    10-18-14 11:48 AM
    Yup, that's exactly how it works. It actually has several modes depending on whether you swipe down on the keyboard or press the @123 button. If you press the @123 button, it will leave the virtual keyboard up but without a physical key mapping (allowing you to type letters and symbols/numbers). If you swipe down, it will bring up the keyboard with the physical key mapping.

However it's even more clever. If you swipe down, and then press the mapped physical key, it will insert the one symbol and automatically return to regular keyboard mode. If you swipe down, but then touch the virtual keyboard, it will leave it up so that you can enter multiple symbols (although it's mostly useful for numbers, like entering $1200) until you press the space bar + a physical key.

It's actually quite amazing. Either because it shows how good humans are at adapting to new interfaces, or because it's actually a smart way to deal with symbols.

Posted via CB10
    If that's how it works then I'm all in! To hell with the alt key, man. I was a bit skeptical because I thought that you HAVE to use the screen to enter symbols (that's how horrible people made it seem like), which meant you have to look down at the screen.
    If that's how it is then I'm sure I can type on it super fast!
    Good thinking by BlackBerry!

On another front, can anyone confirm how the virtual part of the keyboard handles sweaty hands, or wetness? Does it start acting up like touch screens?

10-18-14 11:52 AM
    I was up to 55 wpm with my Z10. Which was better than any physical keyboard I had used prior. After just under two weeks I can say with out a doubt I am faster with the Passport keyboard, and that's without looking.

Posted via CB10
    10-18-14 06:56 PM
    The learning curve is not quite as steep as I thought it would be. Almost back to the same speed I was getting with my Bold 9000, and the virtual row of keys really hasn't been a hindrance.

I'm really enjoying the shortcuts and being able to swipe down on the keyboard to bring up symbols. All in all, it's a good blend of old school and new school IMHO.

BBCB10PP
    10-18-14 07:16 PM

I'm really enjoying the shortcuts and being able to swipe down on the keyboard to bring up symbols. All in all, it's a good blend of old school and new school IMHO.

BBCB10PP
    I just discovered this. Very cool!

Posted via CB10
    10-18-14 09:05 PM
    The only part I am still getting use to is the Z and backspace keys.

Posted via CB10
    10-18-14 09:16 PM
    One thing I wish they would add is a delete key on the virtual keyboard. Instead of the symbol switch button (with the blue dots) taking two key spaces, they should split it to one and just place a virtual delete key corresponding to the same mid-row delete physical delete key.

Typing on Passport: Anyone flying yet?-mockit_18102014222220.png

Posted via CB10
    10-18-14 09:22 PM
    Cruising a bit if two handed and sitting down.

Posted via CB10
    10-18-14 11:11 PM
    Besides the speed, would like to know how comfortable and natural it is becoming.

Natural and comfy typing is more important to me. Let's say, compared with virtual keyboard, more traditional BlackBerry keyboard and laptops.

Thanks

Posted via CB10
    Now that I've had my Passport over a week, I can speak to that.

I'm not sure that I'm faster on the Passport. I am more accurate on it, though, and tbh I LOVE the feel. The keyboard feels great and I'm gaining further speed from up-swipes. It has a very solid, professional feel.
    10-22-14 12:19 PM
    After the first full day using it, I'm getting used to it (coming from a Q10), but there are still some things that bother:
    - when swiping up on the keyboard to flip a word, I sometimes end hitting one of the special characters on virtual keyboard (especially the shift key on the left)
    - punctuation on the virtual keyboard is still something I have to get used to...
    - the keys still feel more stiff than those on my Q10, hope that'll get better by the time (and thus let me gain speed)
    - I still have to get used to the space bar between v & b

On the other hand, swiping down to simulate the alt key is something I already got used to - I really like that, just have to memorize the keys Also, the size of the keys definitely helps to type more accurate.
    I'm pretty positive that all my bothering will be gone in a week or two (and vice versa will have complaints when using a Q10 )

Posted via CB10
    10-29-14 04:36 PM
    After the first full day using it, I'm getting used to it (coming from a Q10), but there are still some things that bother:
    - when swiping up on the keyboard to flip a word, I sometimes end hitting one of the special characters on virtual keyboard (especially the shift key on the left)

Posted via CB10
    I guess that's happened with most, if not all, users. You'll get better at it with time.
    10-29-14 07:00 PM
    had the passport for 2 weeks now..just about as fast as my Q10 for typing
    10-29-14 07:53 PM
48 12