can i ask PP users a question about typing on the PP. the word prediction thing is pretty cool . as the word comes up you just flick it up . but from a practical point of view does any body really use it . when i type a message i am looking at the keys . . so to look at the word prediction and scan the 3 choices really slows me down . i find that i therefore just don't use this feature much . am i missing something . do others type differently
    i know it kind of sounds silly but i would appreciate ideas
    thanks
    03-06-15 04:36 AM
    I use the flick only if I have to type a long word. Other than that, I just type it and just look at the keyboard. Anyway, the Passport's keyboard is a joy to type on!

Posted via my Pretty WhiteBerry Passport SQW100-1/10.3.1.2267 (from10.3.0.1418)
    lpthomasson likes this.
    03-06-15 04:54 AM
    I think your missing how to capitalize words.

Sent from my BlackBerry Passport
    coloibarra likes this.
    03-06-15 05:24 AM

I was thinking the same thing but there proudly are a couple of PP's...

Just a writing style I suppose...BETTER THAN THE CAPS LOCK GUYS
    03-06-15 06:23 AM
    I was thinking the same thing but there proudly are a couple of PP's...

Just a writing style I suppose...BETTER THAN THE CAPS LOCK GUYS
    wHAT?

BBGeordie likes this.
    03-06-15 06:40 AM

I think you're missing how to use apostrophes.

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.1.2480 O2 UK
    03-06-15 10:50 AM
    I think you're missing how to use apostrophes.

I think you don't think you know that the word should have been spelled "you're". It needed more than an apostrophe.

03-06-15 11:13 AM
    I think you don't think you know that the word should have been spelled "you're". It needed more than an apostrophe.

Nope, no further punctuation needed. "You're" is an abbreviation of "you are". Since I used it in a sentence (somewhat ironically) and not in reference, I was absolutely correct.

03-06-15 12:01 PM
    Nope, no further punctuation needed. "You're" is an abbreviation of "you are". Since I used it in a sentence (somewhat ironically) and not in reference, I was absolutely correct.

Smokeair is correct. His error needed more than an apostrophe.

Posted via CB10
    Smokeaire likes this.
    03-06-15 12:14 PM
    can i ask PP users a question about typing on the PP. the word prediction thing is pretty cool . as the word comes up you just flick it up . but from a practical point of view does any body really use it . when i type a message i am looking at the keys . . so to look at the word prediction and scan the 3 choices really slows me down . i find that i therefore just don't use this feature much . am i missing something . do others type differently
    i know it kind of sounds silly but i would appreciate ideas
    thanks
    First, you should enable auto-capitalization after a period. It's a setting under Language and Input. To answer your question, you will find yourself using flick to select more and more as the Passport learns your writing style and begins to suggest words that you were going to use. I have flicked entire sentences, since in business correspondence, we tend to say the same thing to many clients. It is a very smart device. You will also become more accustomed to the keyboard and will look at it less and less.

Another handy shortcut - set up your own corrections and shorthand expressions. I hardly ever type an apostrophe - I have "youre" automatically correct to "you're", "Im" to "I'm", "wouldve" to "would've", etc. Some of these are already added by BlackBerry, but others you can add yourself.

Posted via CB10 from my awesome Passport
    lpthomasson and christausky like this.
    03-06-15 12:51 PM
    Cheers to all,
    Typing on my PP is very good however, I feel that my Z30 is better. Maybe it's more broken in and has learned my style of word usage etc. But I carry my PP the most and have purchased a TETDED leather case for it. Kind of like a wallet case. DL, CC, a bit of money and the phone.
    If BB were to build a high spec Z30/50 I'd definitely be interested.
    Anyway, best to all in the Fam. J
    03-06-15 01:21 PM
    thank you all very much
    03-06-15 02:14 PM
    After some time you will not be looking at the kb anymore. I find that when I need to write longer texts I use it often, once the phone has adopted to my writing style (I did not flick in the first couple of weeks).

Also I find it extremely useful for those quick messages in BBM etc when I cannot dedicate time and attention to the phone. I find that swipe up words just come as they should for those "In the middle of something, blah blah this and that, talk later" type of messages.

Also I combine this with abbreviated words (for example work jargon I have two or three letter abbreviations inserted and they get converted to words as I type, so I have kind of my own code for fast typing in the phone, something really useful for notes keeping at some points).

All and all, I do use the flick on the phkb of the PP and I find it really useful, more so after the phone has adapted to my writing style!
    Happy writing
    03-06-15 02:23 PM
    I use the flick only when I am typing one handed. (yes i have big hands and can do this)

Posted via CB10
    03-06-15 03:13 PM
    same here, only use flick when typing on handed or if typing a long word
    03-07-15 05:13 AM
    I use it when I'm lazy to capitalize or when I know I need to correct my spelling or words that I know is too long that I don't want to type the rest out. Overall I use it a fair bit. I really enjoy it.
    03-07-15 06:15 AM
    I found that after a week or so of use I would automatically use the swipe prediction when it suited me. It's a bit like having a trackpad, trackpoint, and mouse on a laptop. I tend to use everything available but without thinking about it.

Even composing this (on the Passport) I tend to just type unless I'm typing a word that's more than a few characters. I also make more use of the swipe option when typing one handed.

I certainly use the word prediction far more on the Passport than I ever did on the Q10. Tapping the predicted word on the screen is far less intuitive than swiping. With practice, I find the Passport keyboard to be the fastest, most accurate input I've used on a phone. I'd be curious to see how it compares to my speed and accuracy on a laptop but I haven't thought of how I could test this.
    03-07-15 07:00 AM
    When you will get more comfortable with your keyboard you will find it easier. The BlackBerry will learn your "writing style" and make better predictions. Explore your settings, keyboard shortcuts... there are are a lot of things in this device that are very helpful. I use work predictions to complete almost every word, speeds things up. I have been using the Passport for three months and still am finding new cool things on it. Give it time and you will love your device even more.

Posted via CB10
    03-07-15 07:43 AM
    The flick up function was a little weird at first, but after some typing, it's slowly getting use to just flick up to the word I need.

Posted via CB10
    03-07-15 08:36 AM
    When you will get more comfortable with your keyboard you will find it easier. The BlackBerry will learn your "writing style" and make better predictions. Explore your settings, keyboard shortcuts... there are are a lot of things in this device that are very helpful. I use work predictions to complete almost every word, speeds things up. I have been using the Passport for three months and still am finding new cool things on it. Give it time and you will love your device even more.

Posted via CB10
    So true

Posted via CB10
    03-07-15 08:37 AM
    I'll tell you one thing that I think is extremely cool with the keyboard is how you can enable it to vibrate when it corrects a word. This let's me know if I made a mistake and it was corrected, and also to see if it correctly replaced the word as I typed it exactly when I typed it instead of re-reading what I was typing.
    03-07-15 08:39 AM
    First, you should enable auto-capitalization after a period. It's a setting under Language and Input. To answer your question, you will find yourself using flick to select more and more as the Passport learns your writing style and begins to suggest words that you were going to use. I have flicked entire sentences, since in business correspondence, we tend to say the same thing to many clients. It is a very smart device. You will also become more accustomed to the keyboard and will look at it less and less.

Another handy shortcut - set up your own corrections and shorthand expressions. I hardly ever type an apostrophe - I have "youre" automatically correct to "you're", "Im" to "I'm", "wouldve" to "would've", etc. Some of these are already added by BlackBerry, but others you can add yourself.

Posted via CB10 from my awesome Passport
    Those shortcuts are great ideas only they could probably be shorter.

Posted via CB10
    03-07-15 08:44 AM
    I use the flicking all the time. Why better then on a virtual keyboard

Posted via CB10
    03-07-15 09:53 AM
    I turn that crap off because for the most part, I know how to spell. I dont care about apostrophes...but it's right here if I need it! the squiggly red line reminds me of whats proper.

Posted via CBX
    03-07-15 09:56 AM
    Seriously I keep forgetting about the flicking option...
    03-07-15 10:10 AM
37 12