Also the US and it's States don't nearly come close to the taxes in the UK.

Current UK Price (including VAT) & GBP 529.00 = $865.00. Removing VAT, UK price GBP 441.00.
    US$599 (before sales tax) = GBP 367 before VAT. That's a mark-up of GBP 74 / $121. Still a big mark-up without factoring tax. Also like to point out both Blackberry & Selfridge are price gorging because independent UK outlets have it at the American price or slightly higher price than the USA.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by UKAsh; 09-27-14 at 08:45 AM.
    offyoutoddle likes this.
    09-27-14 08:30 AM
    So what you're saying is big companies like to screw us over in different territories. We all know that. All well and good - if you like a product enough, everything has its price and you pay it. The power is in the hands of companies such as BMW or Mercedes (did i guess right?) or Jaguar.

HOWEVER. Do you think BlackBerry are in a position to play by those rules? I was under the impression they are struggling for survival. Consumer has one power. The power to buy or not to buy. Bigger companies, the power is in their hands i.e. don't like it, don't buy it. For BlackBerry they need to play a smarter game i.e. the game of survival.

I don't like getting screwed out of my money by big companies. This is one case where you don't have to lay down and take it. Shop around, hold of buying , there are a number of options here. I know one thing, i'm not a charity, and if BlackBerry want to pull out of their current nose dive, they day they recognise where the balance of power has shifted to will be the day they stand a chance of survival.

Lots of people in this thread seem to fail to recognise the practicalities in their attempts to cheer lead for BlackBerry here.
    Yes companies do like to make as much money as possible as they aren't a charity either.

Fact is sometimes they price according to the demographics which means it could be priced higher than they do in another territory.

Things like government import duties, VAT and other cost do come into play. It's no different than pharmaceutical companies charging as much as they can get away with in "first world" countries that don't have regulations on prices, while at the same time they sale the same drug for 300% less in another part of the world because some regulation or government forces them to.

Posted via CB10
    09-27-14 08:35 AM
    The Passport is manufactured in MEXICO, not China.

Posted via CB10
    NAFTA my friend.

Posted via CB10
    09-27-14 08:37 AM
    Its a dog eat dog world my friend. I don't care about the explanations of how they justify a price in different territorries, or who else is doing the same. I care about the practicalities. I care about what price I pay.

I won't lose any sleep over getting the best deal I can get, as I'm sure they don't, and never will lose any sleep on extracting the highest price they think they can get away. Today I just played the game they play and played it better. As for all the tomorrows, I'm sure they will win their fair share.

I just got a passport for what I call a fair price. Certainly fairer than the one they planned me to pay. That's frankly all I care about. Selfish? Yes i can take that

Yes companies do like to make as much money as possible as they aren't a charity either.

Fact is sometimes they price according to the demographics which means it could be priced higher than they do in another territory.

Things like government import duties, VAT and other cost do come into play. It's no different than pharmaceutical companies charging as much as they can get away with in "first world" countries that don't have regulations on prices, while at the same time they sale the same drug for 300% less in another part of the world because some regulation or government forces them to.

Posted via CB10
    09-27-14 11:31 AM
    That argument would only be of merit, if the product was made in the USA and/or distributed from the USA. In these cases it would be understandable for the product to be cheaper in the USA as shipping would be cheaper in a domestic market.

The Passport is manufactured in China, so shipping would be cheaper to the UK then the USA. In addition Blackberry's European/International offices are in the UK. So it should actually be cheaper or nearer the same price. I am not sure how sales tax works in Canada, however in the UK business never pays sales tax, the end consumer does, all businesses do is facilitate the collection of the taxes from the consumer.
    BlackBerry Passports are manufactured in Mexico not China.

NAFTA prevails for product made in Canada, USA and Mexico which might play a small role in pricing here in the U.S.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by robert_in_la; 09-28-14 at 11:22 AM.
    09-27-14 02:43 PM
    Its a dog eat dog world my friend. I don't care about the explanations of how they justify a price in different territorries, or who else is doing the same. I care about the practicalities. I care about what price I pay.

I won't lose any sleep over getting the best deal I can get, as I'm sure they don't, and never will lose any sleep on extracting the highest price they think they can get away. Today I just played the game they play and played it better. As for all the tomorrows, I'm sure they will win their fair share.

I just got a passport for what I call a fair price. Certainly fairer than the one they planned me to pay. That's frankly all I care about. Selfish? Yes i can take that
    Nothing selfish about wanting it for the price you're willing to pay. Don't mistake my post as justification for what BlackBerry is charging. I'm just adding to the "why" the price is what it is currently. All good.

Posted via CB10
    09-27-14 02:47 PM
    haha no I think I took it how you meant it, there wasn't a problem really. I was just admitting that its motivated self interest - specifically selfishness heheheh
    09-27-14 04:53 PM
    I think you've hit the nail on the head there. Pricing is a bit higher everywhere than the US - they've discounted that market to try and get some interest in it, because if they can get that toe hold back in the States, they are right in the game. So it's a perfectly reasonable strategy.

Posted via CB10
    ....if you're American!!

Posted via CB10
    09-28-14 11:18 AM
    will do. Can't beleive I'm helping Noseybonk. That guy gave me nightmares as a kid.....
    Boo!!

Posted via CB10
    offyoutoddle likes this.
    09-28-14 11:18 AM
    Why would one place quote the price with tax and another without. Sounds a bit misleading to me. I expect to pay the price quoted, not to have to add vat on.!

Posted via CB10
    09-28-14 11:22 AM
    American pricing is always before sales tax as each state sets it's own rate. Also it's cost efficient for American companies to use the price before sales tax so that they can run national ad campaigns.

Posted via CB10
    09-28-14 11:27 AM
    ok, passport arrived this morning. No issues at all - these guys offer a good price, and a fast service, and at least in my case it all worked out! Thought you might want to know.

Cheers

Boo!!

Posted via CB10
    TheNoseybonk likes this.
    09-29-14 07:49 AM
    ok, passport arrived this morning. No issues at all - these guys offer a good price, and a fast service, and at least in my case it all worked out! Thought you might want to know.

Cheers
    Where did you order from??

Posted via CB10
    09-29-14 07:59 AM
    ....if you're American!!

Posted via CB10
    I'm not.

Posted via CB10
    09-29-14 08:02 AM

Cheers
    Cheers pal..

Posted via CB10
    09-29-14 12:08 PM
    mobilephonesdirect. They offer the best price I've found in the UK, and it seems they were ok from my experience.
    09-29-14 01:08 PM
66 123