599 Dollars in US
    529 Pounds in UK (Equivalent to $867)
    One word:
    Despicable!

Posted via CB10
    Timbosaurus, vaioman and amjass12 like this.
    09-24-14 01:11 PM
    Wow! That's a terrible jump in price!
    09-24-14 01:15 PM
    599 Dollars in US
    529 Pounds in UK (Equivalent to $867)
    One word:
    Despicable!

Posted via CB10
    This is misleading. The us price is excluding tax. The UK price includes it. Yes, it's more but as noted several times its online for 485� Inc tax so not a million miles away.

Posted via CB10
    09-24-14 01:23 PM
    And that's why we are known as rip off Britain

Follow My Channel - C00200A28
    AllanQuatermain likes this.
    09-24-14 01:25 PM

Where is the rip off? 485 inclusive of vat is 404 ex vat. 404 pounds is about 650 dollars so 50 dollars more than the USA - which is, what, 30 pounds. Big deal. Tech is always more in the UK than the US - 30 pounds more certainly no top off IMO

Posted via CB10
    Spawn12 and will308 like this.
    09-24-14 01:32 PM
    It's ?600 in the Netherlands incl. tax, so it's comparable as well.

Posted via CB10
    09-24-14 02:11 PM

I'm neither American nor British but I've lived in the U.K. and suggest that like Canadians Brits pay higher taxes but do fairly well on accessible high-quality health care, accessible post-secondary, etc. (I'm thankful for the NHS were I was treated well on one or two occasions). It burns me too sometimes to pay the difference but it's a choice we make at the ballot box as to our priorities. Expensive but I don't know if it's a rip-off.
    K man13 and Nayalm like this.
    09-24-14 02:17 PM
    This is misleading. The us price is excluding tax. The UK price includes it. Yes, it's more but as noted several times its online for 485� Inc tax so not a million miles away.

Posted via CB10
    599 Dollars is equivalent to 366 Pounds. Most American states levy a sales taxes too like our VAT. So you defending the indefensible!! It's a rip off whichever way you look at it. BlackBerry should be looking after those countries who have kept it afloat, the USA isn't one of them!!

Posted via CB10
    offyoutoddle and Thrac Dark like this.
    09-24-14 03:51 PM
    US$599 (before sales tax) = �367 before VAT
    UK VAT = �73.50, therefore total UK price should be �440.50 based on American pricing.
    That's a mark-up of �88.50 / $145.

However sjwpenney makes a valid point, therefore we should do a price comparison without VAT included

Current UK Price (including VAT) �529.00 = $865.00
    Removing VAT, UK price �441.00
    US$599 (before sales tax) = �367 before VAT

That's a mark-up of �74 / $121.

Still a big mark-up without factoring tax. A number of USA states do not charge sales tax.
    Wmsi and offyoutoddle like this.
    09-24-14 04:06 PM
    You can do cost comparisons on the face of it but the entire supply chain informing retail costs is higher due to the tax. That 74 � difference bites but again how BlackBerry or any other retailer compensate for input costs that are higher in every instance. In Canada the dollar is not far off in value vs the US dollar but retail before tax there's an even $100 difference - we see similar differentials with every single product we buy.

Posted via CB10
    09-24-14 04:21 PM
    none of which changes the basic fact - not the consumers problem. They will simply buy a different phone if they think it is a rip off. And it is. Watch this bomb in the UK. More importantly, it will be interesting to see how many carriers and shops over here evern stock it, based on the lack of availability of the Z30 even. BlackBerry is fighting for survival. They need to stack the deck in their favour,n ot against themselves......

You can do cost comparisons on the face of it but the entire supply chain informing retail costs is higher due to the tax. That 74 � difference bites but again how BlackBerry or any other retailer compensate for input costs that are higher in every instance. In Canada the dollar is not far off in value vs the US dollar but retail before tax there's an even $100 difference - we see similar differentials with every single product we buy.

Posted via CB10
    TheNoseybonk likes this.
    09-24-14 04:27 PM

Posted via CB10
    That argument would only be of merit, if the product was made in the USA and/or distributed from the USA. In these cases it would be understandable for the product to be cheaper in the USA as shipping would be cheaper in a domestic market.

The Passport is manufactured in China, so shipping would be cheaper to the UK then the USA. In addition Blackberry's European/International offices are in the UK. So it should actually be cheaper or nearer the same price. I am not sure how sales tax works in Canada, however in the UK business never pays sales tax, the end consumer does, all businesses do is facilitate the collection of the taxes from the consumer.
    TheNoseybonk likes this.
    09-24-14 04:33 PM
    That argument would only be of merit, if the product was made in the USA and/or distributed from the USA. In these cases it would be understandable for the product to be cheaper in the USA as shipping would be cheaper in a domestic market.

The Passport is manufactured in China, so shipping would be cheaper to the UK then the USA. In addition Blackberry's European/International offices are in the UK. So it should actually be cheaper or nearer the same price. I am not sure how sales tax works in Canada, however in the UK business never pays sales tax, the end consumer does, all businesses do is facilitate the collection of the taxes from the consumer.
    Nicely put....

Posted via CB10
    09-24-14 04:43 PM
    Does your country not have an import tariffs? May explain the difference.

Posted via CB10
    09-24-14 06:05 PM
    The other thing is profit for the companies selling it. They are available from distribution at low 300's without tax. The lowest I've seen it to a customer is 360+ tax so far. Mine will be delivered on Monday at th is price

Posted via CB10
    09-24-14 06:38 PM
    Can't see this selling too well in the UK at that price, thought it would have been around �400 at the most.

The way I see it is if someone is willing to spend that kind of money on a smartphone they would probably go for a samsung or iphone due to the popularity of those devices, I can't imagine many people here spending that kind of money on a blackberry.

On the other hand if the price was around �400 they would more than likely buy the passport due to what they are getting for such a great price.

Posted via CB10
    09-24-14 06:51 PM
  17. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    With exchange rate and taxes paid $801 dollars canadian on shop BlackBerry....

$599 us...for us delivery plus any taxes they charged there..

Gonna enjoy my Passport!!

Posted via CB10
    gokulesh likes this.
    09-24-14 07:02 PM
    The price is just bad. 1 usd - 1 eur is something we Europeans are used to but I'm sorry this pricing is ridiculous... 600 usd - 650 eur... including taxes it's still less than 650 usd even in the us and we don't even get free shipping

BlackBerry Q10 SQN100-3
    09-24-14 07:13 PM
    The other thing is profit for the companies selling it. They are available from distribution at low 300's without tax. The lowest I've seen it to a customer is 360+ tax so far. Mine will be delivered on Monday at th is price

Posted via CB10
    Are you based in the UK?
    09-25-14 07:17 AM
    Are you based in the UK?
    Yes
    09-25-14 07:36 AM
    This biggest problem is that it's just ten pounds less than an iPhone 6. It won't tempt anybody at that price.
    TheNoseybonk likes this.
    09-25-14 07:52 AM
    Yes
    How did you get it at that price, is it through a managed service provider?
    09-25-14 07:55 AM
    How did you get it at that price, is it through a managed service provider?
    No, the company we buy all our kit from buy from Ingram Micro or computer2k and depending what the reseller adds on depends on the price.

Posted via CB10
    09-25-14 08:07 AM
    No, the company we buy all our kit from buy from Ingram Micro or computer2k and depending what the reseller adds on depends on the price.

Posted via CB10
    My managed service provider said they won't stock the device yet. A decision will be made mid Oct. I wondering if I should buy it independently, even though I am unhappy about the pricing variance between the USA and UK.
    09-25-14 08:30 AM
    09-25-14 08:50 AM
66 123