@OP:
    Camera: I agree, it sucks on the Passport, it's a petience game.

First day experience: I agree, this is far from intuitive.

Difficult to leave the Apple ecosystem: I agree, it was designed to be difficult to leave.

Lack of apps: I keep an extra android phone just for that.

Actually, you are right.

Posted via CB10
    Right that the apple ecosystem isn't on BlackBerry? That's so unexpected... lol. Actually the OP seems to believe BlackBerry 10 OS is actually superior. What's he complaining about is lack of a native*** app ecosystem and dev support. Which is true but this is part of the problem for Windows phone too and anything other than Android or iOS.

Posted via CB10
    01-19-15 01:46 PM
    It took me about a month before I was super confident with the passport.

Now I type roughly 60wpm with rarely any errors - even quicker if it's common text that is in my flick suggestions - and can navigate around with keyboard shortcuts and gestures way quicker then on my last touchscreen devices.

No way I could go back to a traditional smartphone after this beast.

Posted in CB10 from my amazing Passport
    01-19-15 01:47 PM
    Ha ha ha ha. Sorry but those reasons are just very minimal compared to the issues I've had with iPhones.

Flash is being discontinued everywhere so that's going to be a moot point for all devices in the near future.

Just be honest with yourself and say, I am too embedded in the Apple ecosystem and cant be bothered to try anything else. Apple has got me by the sack and unfortunately it's too "difficult" for me to try and get them to release me.

Lol. One day. Hilarious

Posted via CB10
    HI-Larious cuz its true.
    01-19-15 02:13 PM
    But it shouldn't take longer than one day to get the feel for this phone, should it? It certainly didn't for my 9900, and later my Note 2, and now iPhone 6 Plus. I think his points are well founded. I may eventually get a Passport once they become really cheap to try out. I really, really want BB to succeed. I don't really use apps, but I do want a great camera built in, and few devices approaches the iPhone in that regard. But a great feature is that it didn't take days or weeks to "get the feel for". I'm not particularly an iPhone fan. I like my 6 plus....the 128gb version. But I'll never spend that much on a phone again. The only phone I ever "loved" was my 9900, but a bigger screen is what I needed for my old eyes. I own a Z10 (practically new I'll sell cheap) that confounded me, and that device alone is what sent me looking elsewhere besides BB. I'd truly love a 9900 type device that was both larger and had a superb camera....apps be damned as I don't facebook or tweet or play games on it. But alas I'll never see it. Bottom line...he gave an honest review and made valid points. I won't minimalize his conclusions, as they are valid for him, and seem to be for others as well. By the way, I appreciate a forum where differing views about phones can be discussed without the usual bashing and name-calling that is so prevalent elsewhere. I almost always find that is the case on this forum.
    01-19-15 02:35 PM
    really .....................one day and that's it hmmmm ok oh what are you going to do when flash is gone from your iphone where will you run to then????..............I don't think you give it a fair go tbh do you
    01-19-15 02:40 PM
    Good for you, OP. Enjoy your iPhone!

Posted via CB10
    coloibarra likes this.
    01-19-15 02:44 PM
    OP, you're complaints about leaving IOS and not having IOS apps are like moving to Mexico and missing people speaking English.

My favorite part was how you led with "it doesn't have Flash support like my iphone". I'm still rolling on the floor on that one.

FYI- Steve Jobs had a personal grudge with Adobe (the makers of Flash) and thus refused to allow any flash on any of his mobile products. (the cover story was about performance, blah blah blah). BlackBerry, on the other hand, was one of the last phones to still run it....right up until the Passport. Oh, the irony....

I think you spent more time on that review than you did actually working your new....less than one day old...phone.
    thedose, will308 and SmileDahling like this.
    01-19-15 02:50 PM
    I have a Passport running 3.0 and a Z30. They both run flash in the browser in deskmode. Make sure flash is activated in your browser.
    All websites with flash work flawlessly on my BlackBerry devices.

All TV stations use flash for livestreaming video. That is precisely why iphones and Ipads need an app. Bb10 devices and the playbook do not need apps for that. This is why I cannot replace my phones and tablet with Apple ones and this is why I do not upgrade to 3.1.

Try for example watching tv at
    www.livestation.com
    On your android or apple device. You will need an app.
    You can do it without an app in a Linux browser or BB10 device browser in desktop mode with flash activated. (by the way, evolution browser cannot do it!).
    So, your statement on flash is wrong.

You also can buy music from other companies. I have lots of music on my passport, none of it from iTunes, a lot of it from my own CDs, but also from 7 digital.

As for the ecosystem, I find the Apple devices very nonintuitive and VERY restrictive in what the user can do. My daughter has a few, so I know what I am talking about.
    I am used to and prefer BlackBerry and Linux. I am an engineer. I ike to be in control of my hardware, not the other way around.
    It's what you are used to. So, if you want to try something different, expect something unfamiliar, as many here have pointed out.
    Last edited by sorinv; 01-19-15 at 03:40 PM.
    01-19-15 03:18 PM
    One thing that most Passport users say(including myself), is that you will enjoy this device more and more as the days go by. The more you use it and get use to it, the more you will love it. My previous daily driver was a Z30, I also own a iP6 and a SGS5, and when I first got my PP, I wasn't sure what I thought. I was so much different than anything I ever used before. If I only had it for one day, I would have thought the same and that the device was just good(compared to my other ones) but now, having all the other devices and using this Passport as my daily driver since launch, I can truly say it is easily the best phone that I have, hands down. One day of use will not tell you that with this phone. You must use it and abuse it and this thing will shine bright...
    01-19-15 03:32 PM
    it is rather unique.
    No. it is unique.
    01-19-15 03:45 PM
    I don't know: there's so much lacking in iOS that I don't understand how somebody can't feel the freedom in BB10.

iOS has
    no Flash player,
    no LED
    no HUB
    no USB Hub!!!!!!!!!
    no video HDMI out,
    no Miracast,
    no NFC condivision
    you can't share a song even with whatsapp;
    you cant' send a song to device with USB cord (you have to sincronize with iTunes)
    you cant use device as a USB pendrive
    you can't buy extra SD memory

Do I forgot something?
    coloibarra likes this.
    01-19-15 03:49 PM
    But it shouldn't take longer than one day to get the feel for this phone, should it? It certainly didn't for my 9900, and later my Note 2, and now iPhone 6 Plus. I think his points are well founded. I may eventually get a Passport once they become really cheap to try out. I really, really want BB to succeed. I don't really use apps, but I do want a great camera built in, and few devices approaches the iPhone in that regard. But a great feature is that it didn't take days or weeks to "get the feel for". I'm not particularly an iPhone fan. I like my 6 plus....the 128gb version. But I'll never spend that much on a phone again. The only phone I ever "loved" was my 9900, but a bigger screen is what I needed for my old eyes. I own a Z10 (practically new I'll sell cheap) that confounded me, and that device alone is what sent me looking elsewhere besides BB. I'd truly love a 9900 type device that was both larger and had a superb camera....apps be damned as I don't facebook or tweet or play games on it. But alas I'll never see it. Bottom line...he gave an honest review and made valid points. I won't minimalize his conclusions, as they are valid for him, and seem to be for others as well. By the way, I appreciate a forum where differing views about phones can be discussed without the usual bashing and name-calling that is so prevalent elsewhere. I almost always find that is the case on this forum.
    Some statements were wrong: about flash and about music (you can buy or transfer any music you want on your passport).

Others, like that about the camera focus software problem were correct.
    The camera is great otherwise for stills and full HD video.

Other expectations, such as an Apple ecosystem on a BlackBerry device, are unrealistic because this is a different ecosystem.

Finally, yes, you can see after one day that the Passport is a good device and you learn how to use it reasonably well in one day. But to discover what makes it outstanding and truly superior to any other phone (it's a laptop for me!) you need weeks of exploration. Because of its touch keyboard it's as revolutionary and new as the first touchscreen iphone was to a first user coming from an old boS device.
    01-19-15 03:53 PM
    My favorite part was how you led with "it doesn't have Flash support like my iphone". I'm still rolling on the floor on that one
    That was exactly my point (which you missed completely): i see no point in supporting flash on touch-based devices as they can't emulate "mouse over" action which is used quite often in flash-based websites. So flash is used primarily as the source of video content. iPhone (or the website) overcomes this by "extracting" the video content. BBOS 10.3.1 browser which is "flashless" can't do that (for now). I hope by the time 10.3.1 will hit the servers, they will add a feature to choose "user-agent" in the native browser
    01-19-15 03:54 PM
    That was exactly my point (which you missed completely): i see no point in supporting flash on touch-based devices as they can't emulate "mouse over" action which is used quite often in flash-based websites. So flash is used primarily as the source of video content. iPhone (or the website) overcomes this by "extracting" the video content. BBOS 10.3.1 browser which is "flashless" can't do that (for now). I hope by the time 10.3.1 will hit the servers, they will add a feature to choose "user-agent" in the native browser
    3.1 is an unofficial leak for the Passport. There is still time for BlackBerry to listen to the uproar on crackberry and reinstate flash in the browser in 3.1 as an option which can be turned on and off as in the current version of the OS. Running flash in an android app, as BlackBerry proposed, is not more secure than running flash in the BlackBerry browser.
    Last edited by sorinv; 01-19-15 at 06:44 PM.
    01-19-15 04:05 PM
    Sorry OP but I can't take your side on this because you used the phone for only a day and already complaining about minor things BB10 doesn't stand up to iOS. You neglected to look at the bigger picture and positive sides of the Passport like the HUB or the accuracy of using the physical keyboard. This is to name some of the features that stands out from the competition and it's enough for me to swing over to the Blackberry ecosystem.

The Apps argument is getting old and most of us found out we don't even use most of the apps we download. Furthermore, some of us prefer the website over the apps. If apps is your daily driver then your research should have thrown out the Passport out the window along time ago because even with a combine Android and BB10 apps, the numbers of apps doesn't come close to what iOS offers.

In terms of the browser, the Blackberry browser should render pages just as good as Safari because they are both using the same technology HTML 5. Turn off flash and the browser will default to HTML 5 rendering and you will have a fair fight.

Yes the Passport camera is a bit slow at times but still takes great better looking pictures if you are patient with it. This can be improve over time with software increments
    will308 likes this.
    01-19-15 04:14 PM
    I missed your point? You said:

...The native browser does not play flash-based videos on many sites (in 10.3.1 flash will be obsolete). On the contrary everything plays just fine on iPhone. .....

How can Iphone play flash just fine when it doesn't have it and never has?

You never said anything about touch based devices, etc. etc.or mouse overs.

I responded to that. So, how did I miss your point?

Iphone does not "overcome this" by "extracting the video content". It simply shows NOTHING. The reason you see video on Iphone is that someone made an alternate version JUST for iphone. (like the entire library of a web site called "Youtube".

The "flashless" browser in BB10 isn't missing anything more than the flashless browser in any other phone, it's just playing video that was specifically intended for that device. I know this because my own web site has flash videos that play fine on my BB10 phones with flash and don't show up at all on any IOS product.
    will308 likes this.
    01-19-15 04:27 PM
    Over the years - possibly too many - just to discover that the ideal phone does not exist. You have to find what better suits your needs. If you need music/videos/iMessage and the like - Apple and the iPhone is a good choice. If I was you, I would go for a 6S w/64GB - but then again my 2 cents as they say.

When I saw this post - I took an iPhone 4s and snapped a QR code of an O'neill jacket I just purchased. The app brought me to the o'neill web site and BOOM - NO FLASH.

Take a look at the 4S screenshots...

Tried to switch to Passport-flash-4s.jpg
    01-19-15 04:30 PM
    At the end of the day it's what you like. If you really wanted to justify every reason for not going back to iphone than you would have more time and patience to stick with a new device. The passport and iphone are both good phones and at the end of the day it's down to what you want. I'm not going to judge somebody else for not liking something the same as me or having conflicting opinions.

Posted via CB10
    01-19-15 04:37 PM
    Amazed by the fact that BlackBerry users are ready to shoot anyone who bashes BB10.
    One of the most important aspects of life is the ability to have self-knowledge and know your strengths and weaknesses.
    Sometimes I can't help but be ashamed by the responses people give; it certainly feels like I am back in kindergarden.

Surely, a day is not enough to appreciate the power of BB10, but then again, I'm a Q10 user for the past 18 months and I can't help but agree with a lot of points the OP has raised.

BB10 is by all means not perfect. And one of the biggest drawbacks is the lack of apps and the time needed to get you device up and running. Yes, there are tons of ways you can make your device more usable and yes, you can have some work-arounds to get specific apps running.

As much as I love BlackBerry and my Q10, there are times I wish things would be smoother. You can learn to live without notifications, you can learn to sideload/download apks. But that shouldn't be the case.

If you're after a device, it should cater your needs. Phones are there for you to use and make your life easier and not the other way around, and the majority of people will not bother picking up a new phone and having to go through a number of steps to get the device up and running like their previous iPhone/Android. Yes, you can say the majority of people are "safe" in their ecosystem and all this childish stuff, but the truth of the matter is, most people won't spend too much time setting up a new phone.

Keep a clear mind people. Instead of throwing stones, give a helping hand or wish the OP all the best.
    01-19-15 04:39 PM
    The OP hasn't even acknowledged any of my valid points to his argument or to the point where we are showing him that the real reason he can't leave iOS and Apple is because they have him firmly grabbed by the sack.

If you can actually and we're wanting to try and leave that ecosystem and try something else, 1 day is not enough for any phone platform to learn the ins and outs of the OS. And this isn't just BB10. Android and Windows included.

Your argument and reasons for not using something is like my quarrel with for example:

I drive a honda civic si. Love the car. But I would rather be dead than be seen riding a honda motorcycle. I'm kawasaki through and through. Or trying a pair of reebok shoes for an hour or basketball and complaining that the shoes laces aren't like my Nikes.

Once you can finally admit your real reasons then we can move on from this thread

Posted via CB10
    Sulaco757 likes this.
    01-19-15 04:40 PM
    Amazed by the fact that BlackBerry users are ready to shoot anyone who bashes BB10.
    One of the most important aspects of life is the ability to have self-knowledge and know your strengths and weaknesses.
    Sometimes I can't help but be ashamed by the responses people give; it certainly feels like I am back in kindergarden.

Surely, a day is not enough to appreciate the power of BB10, but then again, I'm a Q10 user for the past 18 months and I can't help but agree with a lot of points the OP has raised.

BB10 is by all means not perfect. And one of the biggest drawbacks is the lack of apps and the time needed to get you device up and running. Yes, there are tons of ways you can make your device more usable and yes, you can have some work-arounds to get specific apps running.

As much as I love BlackBerry and my Q10, there are times I wish things would be smoother. You can learn to live without notifications, you can learn to sideload/download apks. But that shouldn't be the case.

If you're after a device, it should cater your needs. Phones are there for you to use and make your life easier and not the other way around, and the majority of people will not bother picking up a new phone and having to go through a number of steps to get the device up and running like their previous iPhone/Android. Yes, you can say the majority of people are "safe" in their ecosystem and all this childish stuff, but the truth of the matter is, most people won't spend too much time setting up a new phone.

Keep a clear mind people. Instead of throwing stones, give a helping hand or wish the OP all the best.
    We aren't here to shoot anyone. We are here to state that the reasons as this poster is putting up here is not a fair assessment of a device and OS.

If apps are so important, then everyone already knows, DON'T use BlackBerry. Which is a load of crap because of all the apps on my phone. The only real ones that get usage is the browser, music, iGrann and Clash of Clans, Showbox and the Videos. The other apps I have on here are rarely used unless I'm super bored.

Posted via CB10
    01-19-15 04:44 PM
    We aren't here to shoot anyone. We are here to state that the reasons as this poster is putting up here is not a fair assessment of a device and OS.

If apps are so important, then everyone already knows, DON'T use BlackBerry. Which is a load of crap because of all the apps on my phone. The only real ones that get usage is the browser, music, iGrann and Clash of Clans, Showbox and the Videos. The other apps I have on here are rarely used unless I'm super bored.

Posted via CB10
    Sure, but one person's needs are definitely not the needs of everyone.
    I use 5 apps at most. Yet, if more were supported/native, I'd probably use them too.
    I've learned to live without apps and the strengths of the platform outweigh the negatives - but I still know the weaknesses of my phone.
    MarsupilamiX likes this.
    01-19-15 04:49 PM

I think you are exaggerating, besides not being specific on which people or comments you're referring to.

Most comments here were to point out that the OP was actually dead wrong with his statement about what the Iphone does (or what his thinks it does) and BB10 doesn't, or to simply point out that he can't possibly be surprised when he's been part of a closed ecosystem that has you by the sack and then go somewhere else. (They speak Russian in Russia by the way, in case you were thinking of moving there).

Finally, most have pointed out that his ridiculous 24 hour or less test (when anyone would take at least the 30 days you have to return the phone) was barely enough to learn what it does let alone adjust to it.
    01-19-15 04:51 PM
    I think you are exaggerating, besides not being specific on which people or comments you're referring to.

Most comments here were to point out that the OP was actually dead wrong with his statement about what the Iphone does (or what his thinks it does) and BB10 doesn't, or to simply point out that he can't possibly be surprised when he's been part of a closed ecosystem that has you by the sack and then go somewhere else. (They speak Russian in Russia by the way, in case you were thinking of moving there).

Finally, most have pointed out that his ridiculous 24 hour or less test (when anyone would take at least the 30 days you have to return the phone) was barely enough to learn what it does let alone adjust to it.
    It was a statement for the whole of CB forums where someone who "migrates" to BB10 and finds it difficult to use creates a new topic and people start calling them names. I'm sure you can find a lot of these topics where people are being childishly defensive. Of course there are people on all sides, whether you're on iMore or AndroidCentral.

I just always thought that BlackBerry users were a bit less hot-blooded and more mature.
    andy957 likes this.
    01-19-15 04:58 PM
    It was a statement for the whole of CB forums where someone who "migrates" to BB10 and finds it difficult to use creates a new topic and people start calling them names. I'm sure you can find a lot of these topics where people are being childishly defensive. Of course there are people on all sides, whether you're on iMore or AndroidCentral.

I just always thought that BlackBerry users were a bit less hot-blooded and more mature.
    I'm sorry, I seemed to have missed where the OP was called names. Would you mind pointing out which posts committed that offense? I think (that's the part that defines this as my opinion) that many people see responses and questions to these posts and then interpret them as "childishly defensive" when they might better be described as "inquisitively corrective".

I'm sure I can't find a lot of these topics where people are being childishly defensive, and you can't either, otherwise you'd have done that already.

Just curious....who was hot headed or not mature? And if you can't cite specific posts then why would you make that accusation?
    thymaster likes this.
    01-19-15 05:24 PM
75 123