So...after reading/watching countless reviews and studying forums i've honestly tried to switch to Passport...but after one day of heavy use i have to admit that iPhone 6 is still with me and here is why (below are things you won't read in any of the reviews)

- The native browser does not play flash-based videos on many sites (in 10.3.1 flash will be obsolete). On the contrary everything plays just fine on iPhone. I assume it's a matter of browser identification by the website and delivering content in right format. (there is an option to get around this by downloading evolution browser, but I do not like such "workarounds", also evolution browser is quite ugly in terms of the interface)

- Not found a way to stop whatsapp from automatically saving photos / videos to the gallery. On the iPhone it is possible - all uploaded photos / videos are stored within the application without cluttering gallery

- Camera clearly worse than the 6.

- I've clearly felt the "disconnection" from apple services, for example, itunes match. Yes, you can go and transfer all the music from the cloud to your phone, but it's a step back (for me, a significant one). Inability to easily buy and download music is too critical for me.

- Despite the fact that the BBOS is a delight for the eyes (qnx, of course, is much more pleasing to the eye than a "toy-ish" iOS) at iOS I'm doing the same thing, but much faster and efficient (even notorious typing with two hands is possible at the same rate, if not faster)

- The lack of native applications, of course, adds to the "karma". It is clear that you can put Snap / Play store, but it is not the same thing as having native app...needless to say android apps don't pair well with with the overall design of the supernice qnx. Also, i am afraid that Android applications strress the battery (it is understandable, the degree of optimization are no match for the native apps) + overall impression of the energy optimization is "so-so" (in sleep mode, the battery gets faster compared to 6), which is strange considering the large battery capacity compared with 6. Perhaps one should blame quad-core snapdragon and 3 gig of RAM.

The rest of the device is great for me so i am afraid the problem is that blackberry entered the market too late - qnx has huge potential and it is clearly felt across the OS, but the significant advantage is in the number of applications / services from Apple just kills all the advantages of the Blackberry. In fact, the only advantage of the passport is its gorgeous display, but Apple has better fonts in browsing, so the web text is more readable with the iPhone. But i am nitpicking.

What matters is that I've finally tried something new and different, not a stupid copy of ios like android and imo qnx has much more potential than either ios or android.

Nevertheless, I am very interested in the fate of future smarts from Blackberry and the general development of qnx, which, with proper polishing and adding services will be able to make a worthy alternative to ios. I would be happy if this happens as soon as possible.
    01-19-15 08:48 AM
    I really don't think one day is enough time to get the hang of BB10.

Former 9900, Z10, and Z30 user and lover, but now Passport rocker!
    01-19-15 11:15 AM
    So...after reading/watching countless reviews and studying forums i've honestly tried to switch to Passport...but after one day of heavy use i have to admit that iPhone 6 is still with me and here is why (below are things you won't read in any of the reviews)

- The native browser does not play flash-based videos on many sites (in 10.3.1 flash will be obsolete). On the contrary everything plays just fine on iPhone. I assume it's a matter of browser identification by the website and delivering content in right format. (there is an option to get around this by downloading evolution browser, but I do not like such "workarounds", also evolution browser is quite ugly in terms of the interface)

- Not found a way to stop whatsapp from automatically saving photos / videos to the gallery. On the iPhone it is possible - all uploaded photos / videos are stored within the application without cluttering gallery

- I've clearly felt the "disconnection" from apple services, for example, itunes match. Yes, you can go and transfer all the music from the cloud to your phone, but it's a step back (for me, a significant one). Inability to easily buy and download music is too critical for me.

- Despite the fact that the BBOS is a delight for the eyes (qnx, of course, is much more pleasing to the eye than a "toy-ish" iOS) at iOS I'm doing the same thing, but much faster and efficient (even notorious typing with two hands is possible at the same rate, if not faster)

- The lack of native applications, of course, adds to the "karma". It is clear that you can put Snap / Play store, but it is not the same thing as having native app...needless to say android apps don't pair well with with the overall design of the supernice qnx. Also, i am afraid that Android applications strress the battery (it is understandable, the degree of optimization are no match for the native apps) + overall impression of the energy optimization is "so-so" (in sleep mode, the battery gets faster compared to 6), which is strange considering the large battery capacity compared with 6. Perhaps one should blame quad-core snapdragon and 3 gig of RAM.

The rest of the device is great for me so i am afraid the problem is that blackberry entered the market too late - qnx has huge potential and it is clearly felt across the OS, but the significant advantage is in the number of applications / services from Apple just kills all the advantages of the Blackberry. In fact, the only advantage of the passport is its gorgeous display, but Apple has better fonts in browsing, so the web text is more readable with the iPhone. But i am nitpicking.

What matters is that I've finally tried something new and different, not a stupid copy of ios like android and imo qnx has much more potential than either ios or android.

Nevertheless, I am very interested in the fate of future smarts from Blackberry and the general development of qnx, which, with proper polishing and adding services will be able to make a worthy alternative to ios. I would be happy if this happens as soon as possible.
    I really like you honesty bu you did forget one thing that ios users do not talk about(im not sure why this issue is soooo taboo)!? The constant backspacing to correct proper typing is where it stops for me. It use to waste soooooo much time constantly backspacing to correct the text line! How can any SALE business person type out proper emails with such a huge flaw to how these touch typing keyboards perform!.

Posted via CB10
    01-19-15 11:23 AM
    Most of your issues seem to be ecosystem issues. Finding a new ecosystem and getting used to it is the way on BB10 and that also takes more than a day to do. Things like cloud storage and music are all available for BB10 but you can't come expecting to use it the same way as iTunes or i Cloud. You would run into the same issue with an Android except for the fact that Google has similar services in their own ecosystem. But it would still be best to switch to their ecosystem. On BB10 those services are third parties. Box or Dropbox for cloud storage, 7digital for music and so on. It will take some time to get used to it. You can use iTunes on your computer and sync it. I know it isn't the same but it is there to use.

The browser issue is mainly due to websites seeing the browser as a different device. Most sites are optimized for apple device due to their widespread use and lack of flash. Turn off desktop mode and see if it helps. If not then I can't say much more there.

I can definitely understand the camera thing. It's IMO a software problem. Sometime last year they were doing good things with the camera software on 10.3 leaks but when they switched to 10.3.1 development it kind of took 3 steps back. I don't know why. They have put together a dedicated camera team in the meantime as far as I remember. So we should see some improvement eventually. In the meantime camera use is going to take some extra work to get good shots. Point and shoot is out of the question for the most part.

Posted via CB10
    01-19-15 11:49 AM

Ha ha ha ha. Sorry but those reasons are just very minimal compared to the issues I've had with iPhones.

Flash is being discontinued everywhere so that's going to be a moot point for all devices in the near future.

Just be honest with yourself and say, I am too embedded in the Apple ecosystem and cant be bothered to try anything else. Apple has got me by the sack and unfortunately it's too "difficult" for me to try and get them to release me.

Lol. One day. Hilarious

Posted via CB10
    01-19-15 11:52 AM
    Karen:

You invested so much time with reviews and videos, so why just one day for the device?

 Z10
    NYTOC83, Toodeurep, Jrox74 and 3 others like this.
    01-19-15 12:06 PM
    Some of these are really understandable. Certain things are done differently on BB and just won't be the same. For instance, BB uses a file system similar to Windows and to populate the gallery it simply scans the file system for any and all photos/videos. The file system isn't hidden or compartmentalized in anyway.

But, really, I have to ask, did you expect to be using the Passport like a pro after 1 day of heavy usage? That is "after reading/watching countless reviews and studying forums." I mean, you must realize it's going to take some time to get used to the device, it is rather unique.
    thymaster and coloibarra like this.
    01-19-15 12:09 PM
    The issues i've described weren't mentioned in any of the reviews...
    01-19-15 12:09 PM
    The passport is amazing in several aspects, no doubt about that, it is just that iphone is so much ahead in other areas...but qnx is truly the breath of fresh air and i will be happy to switch once the above mentioned issues will be ironed out (okay i can live without itunes match-like service)
    01-19-15 12:11 PM
    Maybe because they didn't spend one day?

Posted via CB10
    01-19-15 12:12 PM

I get where you're coming from. It's hard to switch from any ecosystem to another, let alone from such a mature ecosystem.

I think playing with the Passport for only one day isn't nearly enough to figure out whether it's a good fit. It takes a lot longer to become proficient with the keyboard and the OS. I typed much slower on a physical keyboard coming from the virtual keyboard of my iphone until at least a few weeks into using it. Plus my accuracy is through the roof vs on the iphone.

The music issue is one that is easily resolved if you move away from itunes. Amazon, Google, Spotify, etc all work well on the Passport. You'll never get Apple optimized services from a non-Apple device.

Your other concerns are valid but, as you said, nitpicky. I have a lot of nitpicky complaints when using an android or apple phone after using BB10 awhile but there is nothing inherently wrong with either of them. I like all the phone platforms - they each have strengths and weaknesses.

It sounds like you enjoy being heavily integrated into Apple services which is totally fine. They work really well and are beautiful. Stick with what works. That being said, you need way more than a day to provide an accurate side-by-side comparison of the two. You don't yet know what you don't know.

Posted via my gorgeous Passport
    01-19-15 12:13 PM
    So the reviews you read said nothing about "the lack of native applications"?

You must realize some of these are a matter of opinion and some of these aren't things that would be reviewed? Right?
    01-19-15 12:14 PM
    As i've said, after trying bbos in action it is definitely on my radar now...i guess the next passport should be thinner/lighter (another issue with 1st gen passport being a little bit on heavy/thick side)
    01-19-15 12:23 PM
    As i've said, after trying bbos in action it is definitely on my radar now...i guess the next passport should be thinner/lighter (another issue with 1st gen passport being a little bit on heavy/thick side)
    How would that solve your issue?... your issues are primarily losing the apple ecosystem and software... not hardware ( camera issue is primarily software which should be fixed soon)

Posted via CB10
    01-19-15 12:26 PM
    I have read somewhere in CrackBerry thread in order to play Flash videos you have to go into Setting to turn it on. I could be wrong but I believe I read it in CrackBerry community.
    01-19-15 12:28 PM
    I have read somewhere in CrackBerry thread in order to play Flash videos you have to go into Setting to turn it on. I could be wrong but I believe I read it in CrackBerry community.
    For 10.3.0 and below I believe so.

Posted via CB10
    01-19-15 12:31 PM
    The camera and browser problems are software-related, plus the passport is a bit on the heavy side...but i've been spoiled by the beauty of qnx so i will just wait in shadows...)
    01-19-15 12:34 PM
    I laughed at "passport doesn't play flash videos"... Lol you have a iphone that never had flash support...

If you want to try something new you always have to do some compromise...

Posted via the CrackBerry App
    Tabdus, lift, jdesignz and 5 others like this.
    01-19-15 12:45 PM
    I dont know. People complaining after one day mmmmm
    NYTOC83 and marzfreerider like this.
    01-19-15 12:54 PM
    Suggest the OP search the forum for other Apple users who have migrated over to BB.... Leaving a mature OS for a young one has many pitfialls.... would suggest the OP read some of the posts from former Apple users who have successfully migrated over......many have left detailed responses to a number of the issue the OP is experiencing... Would have helped had the OP researched a bit more... not just looking at reviews as they usually pertain to the device but an investigation of the ecosystem issues which no one said were easy... on thing Apple does well is make their devices easy from the get go.. one of the reasons they are so popular... Being in the walled garden is another way Apple keeps you in the fold.... There are work arounds for many of your issue... Installed Chrome on the neighbour's Passport... works like dream.... a lot of these issues are more getting use to something "new" which is something Apple works hard to avoid.. this is why there are small incremental improvements on their software... unlike BB which did a complete break on their OS.... Much higher learning curve... good luck to the OP whichever way it goes... would really advise the give the device a couple of weeks at least as one day does not do it justice....
    01-19-15 01:08 PM
    The passport is amazing in several aspects, no doubt about that, it is just that iphone is so much ahead in other areas...but qnx is truly the breath of fresh air and i will be happy to switch once the above mentioned issues will be ironed out (okay i can live without itunes match-like service)
    Ahead in what areas?

Details please

Posted via CB10
    01-19-15 01:30 PM
    Come on guys,.. at least he tried the Passport. Most iOS users are paralyzed at the thought of leaving their comfy ecosystem (designed to do that on purpose). A Stockholm syndrome of sorts.

That being said, OP does have a point regarding Android notifications... but that is only an issue because the things that do work with the hub make you realize how great it is, and really make you wish it was supported by everything.

If the BlackBerry hadn't figured out how to let you view multiple accounts and media within a single efficient app, then you would never know that having to open individual apps to read their notifications is such an archaic pain in the a$$. So, by being innovative BlackBerry has actually shot themselves in the foot. They should have just forced everyone to open and close individual apps, and then Android apps would "fit right in".

LOL

Posted via CB10
    saxxman, eddy_berry and kbz1960 like this.
    01-19-15 01:33 PM
    @OP:
    Camera: I agree, it sucks on the Passport, it's a petience game.

First day experience: I agree, this is far from intuitive.

Difficult to leave the Apple ecosystem: I agree, it was designed to be difficult to leave.

Lack of apps: I keep an extra android phone just for that.

Actually, you are right.

Posted via CB10
    01-19-15 01:34 PM
    Come on guys,.. at least he tried the Passport. Most iOS users are paralyzed at the thought of leaving their comfy ecosystem (designed to do that on purpose). A Stockholm syndrome of sorts.

That being said, OP does have a point regarding Android notifications... but that is only an issue because the things that do work with the hub make you realize how great it is, and really make you wish it was supported by everything.

Posted via CB10
    One day is not enough for any BlackBerry 10 device. 1- 2 weeks is what it takes to get the full picture.

Posted via CB10
    manonthemoon likes this.
    01-19-15 01:34 PM
    Sorry, I was finishing my previous post and mistakenly hit the Post button. It really was meant to be more of a double-edged "empathetic jab".

Posted via CB10
    01-19-15 01:39 PM
75 123