Whoa boy. Typed on a Priv at an ATT store. On the plus side it was filthy with fingerprints from people checking it out whereas others next to it were clean.

On the negative side, that keyboard is really small and the keys uncertain. The key placement on the PP took time but at least once you get the hang of it it works well.

On the Priv I couldn't even tell when I pressed something and which key it was when I did.

And it's huge as a whole. Less portable than the PP.

Posted via CB10
    12-22-15 12:34 AM
    I came from a Passport to the Priv. At first it seemed VERY small.

Feels normal now. It took about a week of use to adjust.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android on Priv.
    12-22-15 12:38 AM
    I've been using the SE Passport and Classic, and the Priv keyboard is fine but I wouldn't trade keyboards with it.

The keys are much more shallow, if that makes sense. Like the Torch 9810 felt compared to my 9900 at the time. They keys don't click down as much, and I felt like you did, like I wasn't sure I pressed something.

I'd still take it over no physical keyboard at all, though the Priv virtual keyboard was nice enough. Loved the swipe-back-to-delete thing they implemented.

Posted via CB10
    Chris Chin likes this.
    12-22-15 01:05 AM
    I thought I was the only one who noticed that on the Priv's keyboard. As I saw in the shop when I was buying my Passport, I thought that it may need more time to get used to compared to Passport.

The virtual keyboard in the Priv is the BlackBerry 10 virtual keyboard that's why such greatness can be expected out of it

Peculiar Odd Weird Efficient Robust. My BlackBerry is POWERful
    12-22-15 04:01 AM
    I tried the Priv just yesterday. I agree with you. Truthfully while I love my passport, I do think the keys are a bit too wide.. I would have preferred more compact in width to have numbers and an alt key included. I think Priv should have done the reverse and moved some items to the very large screen. I am sure we could get used to almost anything but somethings are just more convenient.

Posted via CB10
    12-22-15 05:26 AM
    Totally agree. BlackBerry screwed up this keyboard as far as I'm concerned. A 9800 keyboard feels like the best keyboard in history in comparison.

I don't know why BlackBerry did this. I'd pay good money to have an answer.

Z30STA100-5 / 10.3.2.2876 / T-Mobile USA
    12-22-15 05:32 AM
    It isn't a question of "adapting" to it... after all, the rest of the industry already "adapted" to having no physical keyboard...
    What matters is what "you" prefer as a buyer... and this one (me) will not be buying the priv size keyboard.... I see no point in it. I want something "comfortable" or "none at all" and just use a virtual keyboard entirely...
    12-22-15 05:42 AM
    No one who has bashed the keyboard actually has the device yet, do they?

Well, it doesn't make me feel any better. I still want one. The 9800 was the tiniest, cramped little thing ever. And the keys didn't press down nearly as much as they did on my 9700. And it was my favorite BlackBerry to date. There is no way that you wouldn't get used to the Priv keyboard. Just like the Passport has a learning curve, so does the Priv.

I heard that the headphone jack emits some sort of fart smell when you send out an email. The Priv stinks - it's official!!
    12-22-15 05:45 AM
    I sold my Passport after I got the Priv. I'm here typing this now on the Priv and must say... after having it for a month or so I'm really used to it now.

Just like it took me a while to get used to the Passport ๐Ÿ›‚ keyboard back then.

The keyboard really is good. I can't fault it. It's just so easy to type I actually just feel like typing non stop right now so ima just going into a useless rant.

The quick brown fox jumped over the whatever it is the fox was supposed to jump over just cos I don't remember the exact thing. Lol. I'm actually enjoying typing right now. Should I stop? Nah. Don't really have anything to say so I'll just type that I don't have anything to say but I'm enjoying this typing quite a bit.

OK enough.. Time to go watch Sicario. Ta.

Posted via the BlackBerry Priv
    FF22 likes this.
    12-22-15 06:42 AM
    I sold my Passport after I got the Priv. I'm here typing this now on the Priv and must say... after having it for a month or so I'm really used to it now.

Just like it took me a while to get used to the Passport ๐Ÿ›‚ keyboard back then.

The keyboard really is good. I can't fault it. It's just so easy to type I actually just feel like typing non stop right now so ima just going into a useless rant.

The quick brown fox jumped over the whatever it is the fox was supposed to jump over just cos I don't remember the exact thing. Lol. I'm actually enjoying typing right now. Should I stop? Nah. Don't really have anything to say so I'll just type that I don't have anything to say but I'm enjoying this typing quite a bit.

OK enough.. Time to go watch Sicario. Ta.

I'm actually very envious of you. I'm totally taking you at your word that you typed that by feel and without using auto correct (not sure that it's possible to turn all that crap off and use the physical keyboard like it was a 9900 or not?) then I'm really envious because I waited from the time I traded in my 9810 for the Z10 until now to have a slider again.

I *could* type with the Priv but the automated stuff made it to where it was guessing which key I was trying to hit. And basically to me it was like having a phone with 2 VKB. So not only was the keyboard too small and cramped for me to be able to type like the old days, it also made it really hard to get used to it as a real keyboard.

If they could make it to where any and all automatic sensor stuff was disabled on the pkb it might make me want to give it another try. I disagree with the 9810 being a hard keyboard to use. The curve shaped to it made up for a lot of the loss of space to me.

For me the Priv kb is going from big to small from curved to straight from totally physical to almost being a vkb. It's just a huge thing for me, someone who wanted a keyboard as easy to type blindly on as a BlackBerry Curve or BlackBerry Bold or BlackBerry Torch.

Don't mistake my dislike of the Priv keyboard for hate though. It's more of envy of people who are able to like it.

Z30STA100-5 / 10.3.2.2876 / T-Mobile USA
    12-22-15 09:57 AM
    It isn't a question of "adapting" to it... after all, the rest of the industry already "adapted" to having no physical keyboard...
    What matters is what "you" prefer as a buyer... and this one (me) will not be buying the priv size keyboard.... I see no point in it. I want something "comfortable" or "none at all" and just use a virtual keyboard entirely...
    For me it was a matter of adapting because I was coming from a ginormous passport keyboard. In my opinion had I not used the passport first it would have seemed normally at first use.

Honestly thought I find myself using the virtual keyboard most of the.

12-22-15 10:10 AM
    I actually came from a Classic and sat down for a long while with the Priv. I was not at all impressed with the keyboard which felt cramped and, well cheap. In fact the whole phone felt cheap for some reason. I'm thrilled so many are happy with it, but I didn't care for it, and the OS experience out of the box was very disappointing for me.

Of course the display and performance were excellent, but oddly I didn't even like the camera despite the specs. So instead I ordered a Passport without having ever seen one physically, and, wow. This thing is -- at least to me -- everything the Priv was not. I'm very, very pleased with my choice.

Posted via CB10
    12-22-15 10:27 AM
    Really, this is just something you have to get used to.

It's sort of like when the Passport was released - there were all these complaints on CB that the keyboard was rubbish compared to the 9900 and the Q10. Some people got used to it and never had an issue again (I was one of those people). The Priv keyboard is small and shallow when compared to other BB keyboards, but I'm already much faster on it than I was when I switched from my Passport and I'm quickly getting to the point where I'm as quick on it as I'm on my Passport.

It still will not suit everyone. It certainly does suit me.
    12-22-15 10:35 AM
    I typed on it at an AT&T store. I figured I would have to relearn the keyboard layout since I have been using a Z10 since it came out, but surprisingly, it was still natural for me. I used a Bold when it first came out, and the Torch slider. I remembered how to do punctuation naturally and was able to type quickly without looking.

That being said, I won't be getting a Priv until Google dies a horrible death.
    12-22-15 12:06 PM
    Really, this is just something you have to get used to.

It's sort of like when the Passport was released - there were all these complaints on CB that the keyboard was rubbish compared to the 9900 and the Q10. Some people got used to it and never had an issue again (I was one of those people). The Priv keyboard is small and shallow when compared to other BB keyboards, but I'm already much faster on it than I was when I switched from my Passport and I'm quickly getting to the point where I'm as quick on it as I'm on my Passport.

It still will not suit everyone. It certainly does suit me.
    l totally agree. When I got the Passport it was a rather steep learning curve coming from a z10. Remember all the moans and groans about the Passport keyboard's 3 row style and blah blah..? I was one of them. After sometime with it, typing on anything else was a bit awkward and supposedly inferior.

Now I have the Priv with a new and improved z10 keyboard that can suggest even emoticons. Plus.. a slimmed down Passport keyboard but improved (in a sense), as it now has the 4 row style that we all moaned about it not having about a year ago. Plus it suggests emoticons too.

I just can't understand how anyone cannot want the best of both worlds all in one when they themselves actually know that it's only a matter of time before their muscle memory is retrained and they get used to the pkb.

BTW.. Typed using the vkb for the first paragraph and the pkb for the rest.

This last sentence is swiped using the virtual keyboard. ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ†’

Last edited by naijab0y; 12-22-15 at 02:52 PM.
    12-22-15 12:20 PM
    i get that some people get used to it but how to you get used to hitting keys crammed into the upper wall of the keyboard cavity so you cant reach them?

Hope they sell so many they keep funding bb10.
    12-22-15 01:36 PM
    Hmm. This is interesting because I've read where others are saying the keyboard is great. I tried it - once. ((Shrugs)) Too early for me to tell.
    12-22-15 02:41 PM
    I came from a Passport to the Priv. At first it seemed VERY small.

Feels normal now. It took about a week of use to adjust.

I went from z30 to passport and felt the opposite. In fact. I couldn't understand what the hell was going on when I was typing, but I actually typed this without even looking down at the keyboard.

The priv keyboard isn't even small. It's twice as big as the old torch many of us loved.
    12-22-15 03:29 PM
    I tried a Priv keyboard in store today. I couldn't believe how bad it seems compared to the Classic, Passport SE, and original Passport.
    I think they really screwed up the keyboard -- it looks and feels awful.
    Doggerz likes this.
    12-23-15 07:51 PM
    I tried a Priv keyboard in store today. I couldn't believe how bad it seems compared to the Classic, Passport SE, and original Passport.
    I think they really screwed up the keyboard -- it looks and feels awful.
    No. No. Believe me it's just fine. You figure it out in a few days. Maybe something to do with muscle memory. Took me a few days with the passport and took me a few days with the priv. Now I pull the keyboard out naturally for longer e-mails. I actually like one thing about the priv keyboard over the one on the passport and that is less pressure is required. The passport keyboard is a bit more firm.
    tmf06 likes this.
    12-23-15 09:00 PM