Anybody had any luck yet?

Or at the very least confirm whether logging into BBM on the Passport will erase/not erase my chat history on my Z30? I can't afford to lose my chat history entirely, but even if I could still access it on the Z30 after switching, that would suffice for now.

I phoned Passport Support and BES support and nobody has any idea, but the 400 line limit for emailing chat history or copying they are aware of and are working on a fix.

Thanks

Erin

P.S. Loving the passport, just haven't activated with my Carrier yet until I find a solution to the Chat history
    09-29-14 09:05 PM
    I don't think this is possible.
    09-29-14 10:57 PM
    Groups yes, individual chats no.

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.0.1154
    09-29-14 11:02 PM
    I did link backup 'full' on my z30 and restored to my new passport. No problems, full restore of my bbm chats. I had to go in and change the save chat function for bbm, defaults to not saved. When I updated to latest bbm in blackberry world I had to turn on save chat feature again.

Posted via CB10
    erinsteadman likes this.
    09-29-14 11:39 PM
    Not sure on line counts but I do have 2 chats that date back to march 2014

Posted via CB10
    09-29-14 11:42 PM
    and did the chats disappear on your Z30 when you activated on the Passport?

Thanks for the info, was thinking of trying backup/restore to see.
    09-30-14 12:32 AM
    I sold the z30 I have kept wife's better condition z30 for my backup, i don't know about the old one. I wiped it before turning over.

Posted via CB10
    09-30-14 10:22 PM
    You could backup your BBM on Z30 and try to restore to Passport. First, try to see if you can actually backup an app from one device and restore to another on the same account (I only have one device with the same account, so cannot vouch for this).

You can give this a try. Worked for me on a same-device backup and restore.
    Using the up-to-date BlackBerry Link, one can backup and restore individual (as opposed to whole) App Data.

1. Take a backup of the apps you want to restore

2. After reloading OS / installing a new OS / security wipe, and BEFORE restoring from backup:
    2.1. Sign in and set up BBM
    2.2. YOU HAVE TO OPEN APP WORLD AND UPDATE BBM ON THE NEW DEVICE BEFORE RESTORING (Thanks to nah.uhh)
    2.3. In BBM settings, turn on 'Save Chat History' (This is a key step)

3. Using Link, restore just the BBM App Data from the backup file
    4. After device restart, your BBM chat history will be there (both individual chats and group chats)
    Last edited by ehsanp; 12-09-14 at 08:40 PM. Reason: important: UPDATE BBM before restore
    10-01-14 08:33 AM
    Are they actually working on it? Because I don't know how hard it is to export a chat in an app that already loads it...

Unless they're splitting it by month and day and doing it like BBOS days, which still shouldn't take almost a year and a half...

Posted via CB10
    10-01-14 08:53 AM
    There is a bug they are aware of and working on that only copies the last 400 lines of chat when you copy or email the chat.

They also gave me an email address to send suggestions to, so anybody who is interested in being able to copy chat to your new device or any other functions you want to comment on can email ideamailbox at blackberry.com (wouldn't let me post it as an email address)

Thanks for all the tips, I'm still trying to get around to trying the backup/restore. Been super busy and have to make sure I have the most important chats saved first.
    10-01-14 01:17 PM
    Thanks so much guys, that actually worked. I got all BBM chat history, over a years worth in some conversations, groups and normal chats.

Ironically, the backup/restore option didn't copy my text messages over for some reason, but I'll just access them from the old phone for now. You guys are life-savers.

Erin - thoroughly enjoying my new Passport finally
    10-02-14 06:29 PM
    Just tried myself and updated my post above to add a missing important step: Update the BBM app from BlackBerry World before restore!
    Please confirm if it works for you too.
    12-09-14 08:42 PM