So I'm a big-time touch-typer on the computer and I'm learning the no look ropes on the Passport as I find it useful to able to type without looking at my keys. I've been thinking about putting some raised bumps on the two home keys (similar to F and J keys on a standard PC keyboard) but I'm not sure how to go about it, or if I would want the bumps to be on the F and J or the D and K. Also general tips for increasing your typing abilities on the Passport?

Why aren't you on a Passport? 
    05-01-15 09:38 PM
    Why would you put bumps on it? I wouldn't do that to my phone.

If you're worried about not knowing where to type when you're not looking, you'll get used to it soon. It will probably take a month or so of constant usage, but wait before you go and do something to your actual keyboard.

Posted via CB10
    05-01-15 10:03 PM
    Yeah I was kind of thinking I'd wait for at least another month before altering the keyboard just to see if it would even be necessary. What about keys though. Do you rest your thumbs on any key in particular or do you just kinds go with the flow? I've seen some people say that the F and J are the keys to use just like on a life size key lard but my thumbs seem to want to linger more on the D and K keys

05-01-15 10:37 PM
    This is the main reason I swapped back to physical keyboard, and I've worked out when two hands handling the passport place place index fingers on the top corners(brizzle part) and let the passport rest on you pinky fingers, others with fit in for support, this way of holding it give me maximum movement to touch type with comfort

Posted via CB10
    05-01-15 11:18 PM
    Top corners as in near the P and Q?

And I actually went from a long list of touch only devices before this and was worried about not liking the physical keyboard as much as the virtual with SwiftKey and the likes... but after using the Passport for only about 2 weeks I don't think I can ever buy a daily driver without a keyboard from now on. I'd surely have a difficult time switching from this phone to anything else at all now.

This is the main reason I swapped back to physical keyboard, and I've worked out when two hands handling the passport place place index fingers on the top corners(brizzle part) and let the passport rest on you pinky fingers, others with fit in for support, this way of holding it give me maximum movement to touch type with comfort

Posted via CB10

05-02-15 12:10 AM
    Top of the phone, haha. Yeah the days of virtual keyboard are now in the past for me as well

Posted via CB10
    05-02-15 12:31 AM
    To be honest, I don't even consciously think about where my thumbs rest when I grab my Passport and start hammering out a text, BBM or email. It just happens. Practice and predictive-text have made it almost perfect, even when I'm walking and not paying attention to the screen.
    05-02-15 12:34 AM
    I find the more I use the phone the more my thumbs are starting to just do it and I don't even have to pay attention. I just feel as though my typing could be improved with a little bit of structure... but then again I could just be way overthinking it

05-02-15 12:45 AM
    ... but then again I could just be way overthinking it
    I just grabbed my Passport, and without thinking my thumbs automatically went to the F and J keys. I'm a touch-typist on a PC keyboard as well, so I guess it makes sense that I've transferred the same muscle memory to all of the PKB devices I've used. I've never really thought about it before tonight other than realizing that I prefer a physical keyboard.

You've opened my mind to the way I connect to my devices, domokeats09!
    domokeats09 likes this.
    05-02-15 12:51 AM
    I'm a really good touch typer on a computer but I've found that touch typing on a PKB is a bit of a challenge. Don't get me wrong I love the PP for so many reasons but I think for me it will take some time to get used to plain old touch typing on the PP. I've been using the PKB but looking at the Keyboard while typing and have become very comfortable with that style of typing but feel that if you can master touch type on the PP then you have weaponized the already wonderful PP

PS
    Done via touch type(there were like a ton of edits, guess I need more practice or less beer)

Posted Via Red Passport
    05-02-15 01:04 AM
    Thanks for the input! I too find touch typing easier with less beers in me haha

05-02-15 01:22 AM
    Yeah I was kind of thinking I'd wait for at least another month before altering the keyboard just to see if it would even be necessary. What about keys though. Do you rest your thumbs on any key in particular or do you just kinds go with the flow? I've seen some people say that the F and J are the keys to use just like on a life size key lard but my thumbs seem to want to linger more on the D and K keys

For sure wait a month, give yourself time. I thought the keyboard was weird at first, but now it's the Q10 and Classic keyboards that feel weird when I use them.

I usually rest my thumbs on G and H because then each thumb is equally ready to type the letters on the left and right side of the keyboard. I've mentally made T/Y and G/H the "border" and don't let my my thumbs cross haha. Of course sometimes I'll use my right thumb to press T or left thumb to press H or something, but generally I keep each thumb on their side.

If you start keeping your thumbs on G and H, you'll see that when they're there, they touch and you'll naturally start using one thumb for one side, but both for the spacebar. It's weird.

If you're going to make dots or bumps on your keys, use Krazy Glue or something like that.

Posted via CB10
    05-02-15 02:57 AM
    For sure wait a month, give yourself time. I thought the keyboard was weird at first, but now it's the Q10 and Classic keyboards that feel weird when I use them.

I usually rest my thumbs on G and H because then each thumb is equally ready to type the letters on the left and right side of the keyboard. I've mentally made T/Y and G/H the "border" and don't let my my thumbs cross haha. Of course sometimes I'll use my right thumb to press T or left thumb to press H or something, but generally I keep each thumb on their side.

If you start keeping your thumbs on G and H, you'll see that when they're there, they touch and you'll naturally start using one thumb for one side, but both for the spacebar. It's weird.

If you're going to make dots or bumps on your keys, use Krazy Glue or something like that.

Posted via CB10
    Thanks. Maybe I'll try out using the G and H keys as a home for a while and see how that works.

05-02-15 12:38 PM
    I tend to use the space bar, but my fingers don't rest anywhere. Getting my bearings is done with one thumb, left or right from spacebar up to g-h as they come together with both ridges in the centre. But they are too tight to put both thumbs there. But I don't anchor my typing with both, one tells me where I need to be with the other.

Rockin a Passport and Z30! Two devices are better than 1!
    05-02-15 01:25 PM
    Blackberry's certainly have had bumps on keys in the past.

Our Q5 has bump on D key.

That said as the Passport has touch sensitive keyboard putting a bump on a key may interfere with that!

Consider putting the bumps on the centre bezel.

Maybe between ERDF.

How I'd go about it:

Take the ball out of a biro.
    Make a small indentation in centre bezel with a very fine drill bit.
    Put the tiniest drop of super glue in the indentation. Transfer glue with a toothpic or pin.
    Mount ball in the indentation. Rolling along and pressing in with aid of a second clean tooth pick not a pin as a pin may ping the ball across the room. Use the side of the toothpick layer along the bezel to press the ball in.

Posted via CB10
    05-02-15 01:49 PM
    Everyone who's advising you about waiting for a month is correct.
    I myself is a fast touch typer on computer. I was frustrated in the beginning and even bought myself BlackBerry Classic. However I gave myself two months to stay away from switching phones and my thumbs speed went fast.

So much so I at times type while walking and not looking at the phone. Someone asked me what the fuss was with the PKB and I just showed him that little skill.

Trust me the time was well spent. Now typing on a glass screen feels so strange. And yes I ended up selling my BlackBerry Classic.

Just stick with it and it will build on to you.

Posted via CB10 using PassportSQW100-1/10.3.1.2576
    05-02-15 07:35 PM
    I can't type by just muscle memory perfectly, but after about 6 months, I'm pretty good at it. Usually it's the keys near the middle that throw me off. I just glance down on my key board ever once in a while.

Posted via CB10
    05-02-15 08:02 PM
    I'm on day three with my Passport, I've picked up the typing fairly quickly. I did come from a Q though. The keyboard is a little smaller and I've gotten pretty good with the virtual keyboard. The space bar has been a little tough to adjust to due to it's size.

The touch typing is pretty easy for me, but I continually make one repetitive mistake. I think it is a carry over from my Q. So I have to ask all of you, does anyone else hit the "X" key for shift or is it just me? Can't seem to break the habit yet.

Posted from my Passport. Seriously. You should get one.
    05-02-15 08:36 PM