10-05-16 09:49 AM
47 12
tools
    Sorry for starting another Passport vs Passport SE thread ‎but I couldn't find the accurate answer in the existing threads and as I know there are people which got both. Want to buy a Passport and can't decide which one to buy. I know the difference between them are mainly cosmetic ( I like more the front of the black Passport but the rear of the SE) *but there are two things which are making it hard for me.
    The first one is the keyboard. I don't know how how is the feedback of the keyboard on the SE but got experience with the Classic, Bold 9900 and Q10.How much stiffer is the keyboard on the black version compare those three I mentioned?‎
    According to my knowledge second difference between both Passports is the reception due to a different antenna position. How much more sensitive is the SE compare to the black Passport? Is it something major or hardly noticeable.
    I'm leaning more toward the black Passport as it has got also more accessories and spare parts available.
    Thanks for your response. If anything else comes into my mind an is not cove somewhere I'll ask.‎
    02-23-16 04:14 AM
    Not sure about the antenna. Didn't notice a spectacular difference in my average situations.
    The PKB is way more softer on SE and the rounded bottom edges are also a great addition that will make your typing experience one step ahead of the black PP. I also prefer the overall design, as do most of the people that saw it.

IMHO : go SE.

Edit : you have a point regarding accessories and spare parts though.
    02-23-16 05:03 AM
    Agree. Go SE. I feel like that's the Passport they wanted to make from the beginning and the typing alone - which is the reason to buy BB, is worth the price difference.
    02-23-16 07:11 AM
    Go SE... it feels better with the curved edge at the bottom..

Posted via CB10
    02-23-16 08:33 AM
    The SE is the best of the Passport versions. I am particularly impressed by the industrial design style. It gets noticed more than the other versions as well.

CB10 via BlackBerry Passport Silver Edition
    02-23-16 08:45 AM
    SE all the way I have both and the I like the look and feel of the SE

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    02-23-16 09:09 AM
    Get the OG. Or att version.

Posted from a wireless charging Passport. Get one!
    02-23-16 09:51 AM
    I had both versions, first the black one and I still haven't sold my SE Passport. IMHO the Silver Edition is the better choice:

The keyboard simply feels better than the original counterpart, it's stiffer and offers better feedback. IMHO it beats the Classic when it just comes down to the keys.
    The rounded edges and especially the slightly larger "chin" make the device more comfortable to hold, especially when typing.

I also prefer the back panel, the black Passport was quite prone showing fingerprints, the SE's back is not only a bit grippier, but it also keeps a clean look longer.

In terms of cellular reception, I barely noticed a difference. The SE kept 4G signals a bit better than the black model, but don't expect any miracles.
    02-23-16 12:04 PM
    The SE has a really nice keyboard. I like to say that it's a hybrid between the Classic keyboard and the keyboard on the original black Passport. I really like the Classic keyboard, but I also really liked the larger keys on the original black Passport, but just found its keys a little too stiff for my liking. I the SE has the satisfying click, but not at the expense of thumb fatigue, which I got quite a bit from the original black Passport.

I do miss the full four row keyboard of the Classic, however, but I can adapt again to the Passport's virtual fourth row.

So OP, to answer your original question: I would go with the SE, especially if you haven't tried it yet. I suppose you could always order both from Shop BlackBerry and then return the one that you don't want!
    02-23-16 12:51 PM
    Great points. The clickiness of the SE is by far my favorite feature. Yes it's a great looking device but a pure joy to type on.

Sent via Passport SE~!
    02-23-16 05:50 PM
    Thanks for your input, I really appreciate it. Things would be so much easier if I had an option to see their phones in flesh, but for Blackberry it is somehow not important. The next thing might be writing an email directly to Blackberry Canada.*
    I mean.... how to the he'll you want to do the business and sell the phones when customer doesn't have a chance to see it? I found on their website that *The Carphone Warehouse is one of the resellers. Phoned the local store if they've got any in stock. Nope. Asked them if they could find out in their system which store in 30 miles radius has got them. None. ‎
    Called directly The Carphone Warehouse to find out where they've got the phones. The answer was..... None of the stores keeps them, they're all in the warehouse and are send out prior to order. At the end called the Blackberry UK last week on Thursday to ask who keeps the stock, where could I possibly see the damn things. I was asked by the employee to give him my phone number and to give him a couple of ours to find out and he will call me back. Didn't hear from him since. So instead of buying a phone being a pleasure, it's been so far quite frustrating.‎
    02-24-16 03:51 PM
    Se is better

Posted via CB10
    02-24-16 04:06 PM
    Listen to us. Get the SE dude.

Or....just buy both from a place that has a lenient return policy and send one back. Boom.

Sent via Passport SE~!
    Adam Kowalczyk1 likes this.
    02-24-16 05:26 PM
    As for the antenna no difference. The keyboard of the OG is not bad, in fact it is good. However, the keyboard of the SE is just better.

Get the SE, you won't regret it. As for accessories, just get BlackBerry's original accessories and you'd be fine. The Flip/Folio case of the SE (which is snapped on) is also better than that of the OG (which is only taped on).

It's small improvements such that if you have an existing OG you might hesitate to "upgrade" but since you are buying a new Passport (and not upgrading from OG), then I suggest you go with SE. It just is better.
    02-24-16 05:37 PM
    The SE is pretty sweet.

My Canada My BlackBerry My Z30
    02-24-16 05:42 PM
    I've never held a silver addition but I LOVED my black passport. To me it's a million times better looking than the silver.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    02-24-16 08:59 PM
    Yes the uniform, symmetrical look of the black pp makes it prettier than the SE from the front. Overall though, in terms of practical usage, the SE is the clear winner. Typing flows on it and it is more comfortable in the hands. It is also more beautiful from the back, there is better grip and there will be no fingerprints visible (unlike on its older brother). Reception is exceptionally good on both units. Buy the SE.

HTC Diamond, HTC Touch Pro 2, Galaxy S2, Galaxy Note, Galaxy Note 2, Blackberry Playbook, Blackberry Z10, HTC One M7, HTC One M8, BlackBerry Passport, Blackberry Passport SE & Blackberry Priv (regrettably)
    02-25-16 01:10 AM
    Thanks for your input, I really appreciate it. Things would be so much easier if I had an option to see their phones in flesh, but for Blackberry it is somehow not important. The next thing might be writing an email directly to Blackberry Canada.*
    I mean.... how to the he'll you want to do the business and sell the phones when customer doesn't have a chance to see it? I found on their website that *The Carphone Warehouse is one of the resellers. Phoned the local store if they've got any in stock. Nope. Asked them if they could find out in their system which store in 30 miles radius has got them. None. ‎
    Called directly The Carphone Warehouse to find out where they've got the phones. The answer was..... None of the stores keeps them, they're all in the warehouse and are send out prior to order. At the end called the Blackberry UK last week on Thursday to ask who keeps the stock, where could I possibly see the damn things. I was asked by the employee to give him my phone number and to give him a couple of ours to find out and he will call me back. Didn't hear from him since. So instead of buying a phone being a pleasure, it's been so far quite frustrating.‎
    I agree that it can be annoying not being able to see the phones yourself. The best you could do would be reading reviews and take a look at comparision pictures. There are also some good quality 1080p videos on Youtube where people compare black and silver side by side.

When it comes to cosmetics only, IMO both have their own appeal. The silver one stands out more, I also kind of like the design which somewhat resambles a retro style camera with the silver and black color combination.
    The black one is more subtle, the slightly rounded display edges, the smooth back and the less visible speaker cutouts give it a more modern appearence.

Everything considered, you can't really go wrong with either device. They are the same from a technical viewpoint, the keyboard on the black is still good (even not as good as the SE one) and both share the same features. Oh btw. if you like to apply screen protectors on your devices, the SE has the benefit of a completely flat screen. The black version has slightly rounded edges, and especially glass protectors only cover a rather small area of the display.
    02-25-16 02:27 AM
    I bought my SE right from BlackBerry. Coming from a Z30, adapting to the PKB was a bit of a stretch, but I am getting use to it. The tactile feel is excellent and the capacitive touch features truly add to the experience. The biggest drawback is watching 16:9 video on the 1:1 screen, but the ability to view Web pages and documents more than makes up for that. Visually, I prefer the SE to the OG, but that's a personal preference.

I have no regrets buying this device and fully expect to use it for 2-3 years before something comes along that would improve my productivity. I used my Newton MessagePad daily for 5 years. I miss the NewtonOS and the stylus. The Passport is the first device that I feel gives me a similar level of productivity enhancement.

Buy the SE and return it if it doesnt meet your expectations. Alternatively, purchase a used OG and resell it if it doesnt meet your needs. I opted for the Blackberry protection plan as insurance.

Posted via CB10
    02-25-16 03:33 AM
    Just bought the SE two weeks ago, haven't looked back!!

Posted via CB10
    02-25-16 07:57 AM
    I have both. Prefer SE mainly for keyboard. There is a noticable improvement.

Posted via CB10
    02-26-16 05:05 AM
    Hi all. thanks for your input and advice. Just to make an update. Since the last post and for more than a month I still couldn't decide which Passport to buy. Pulled the trigger last night just 5 mins before midnight and, ehm.... I bought BOTH. I was leaning more towards the black one but wanted to see both side by side. So will decide when they're here and hopefully I'll send one back. "Hopefully" because as my wife kept saying she doesn't want a Passport as it is too big for her hands, in a meantime she became a bit "suspicious" and a bit too interested in it
    Chris Chin, xKingHopy and moosbb like this.
    04-13-16 02:58 PM
    Hi all. thanks for your input and advice. Just to make an update. Since the last post and for more than a month I still couldn't decide which Passport to buy. Pulled the trigger last night just 5 mins before midnight and, ehm.... I bought BOTH. I was leaning more towards the black one but wanted to see both side by side. So will decide when they're here and hopefully I'll send one back. "Hopefully" because as my wife kept saying she doesn't want a Passport as it is too big for her hands, in a meantime she became a bit "suspicious" and a bit too interested in it
    Cool! I wish I was able to get them both to try them out; the black version looks better to me, while the SE apparently has a better keyboard... In some video review they said the keyboard gets better with use, perhaps some black PP owners can chime in...
    04-13-16 05:33 PM
    I am using BlackBerry Passport and I don't feel the keyboard uncomfortable
    I haven't yet tried SE keyboard, but people who have used both prefer SE
    I wish I could afford SE because I like it's looks as well

Posted via CB10
    04-14-16 01:12 AM
    Cool! I wish I was able to get them both to try them out; the black version looks better to me, while the SE apparently has a better keyboard... In some video review they said the keyboard gets better with use, perhaps some black PP owners can chime in...
    Had a black PP before, replaced it with a SE.
    Actually there was no reason to switch my OG though because it was fine as it was. The keyboard needs its time to break in but after that, typing on it feels really good.
    The SE in comparison, when speaking about the keyboard, is a tad better though. Feels really good somehow to type on it, also it's a bit taller so it's easier to hold imo.
    But no matter which you are opting for, both are well-designed devices.

Posted via my Q10, 10.3.2.2876
    04-14-16 02:40 AM
47 12