Hey guys! I've NEVER had a BlackBerry device before but have always wanted one. I've been following BB since before the Q10 officially came out. I always thought that the Q10 would be my first BB, but I did some research and thought, I think it's time for my first all touchscreen phone (I had the HTC MyTouch 3G Slide and the HTC MyTouch 4G Slide which I loved but were dated.) So, I got the HTC ONE which was phenomenal so I didn't really regret not getting the Q10 but it was always on my mind. A year later I upgraded to the HTC ONE (M8) which I was OK with, awesome device. However, BB has been on my mind again. I've been DYING to get one, I was checking out the classic for a WHILE now, not sure if I should do it or not, I had seen the Passport but, meh, wasn't really too crazy about the design. A few nights ago I was doing intensive research on the Classic and the Passport. Passport is so much more superior in almost every way than the classic. So, I took advantage of the presidents day weekend sale and bought the white BlackBerry Passport from Amazon for 499.99. I'm so eager and excited to get it tomorrow, I even ordered one day shipping. Typically I can wait for my packages but I'm too excited for it. I still have my HTC ONE (M8) but wanna keep it as a backup.

I've always had android, I don't know what to expect with BB. Any advice, tips, things I should know. I don't care much for the lack of apps, besides all the apps I use I checked and BB has 'em. Any cute cases I should get, I like to show off the phone and not have a case that completely covers it. ETC...

Thanks. Can't wait to be a BB member!
    02-17-15 11:32 AM
    Hey guys! I've NEVER had a BlackBerry device before but have always wanted one. I've been following BB since before the Q10 officially came out. I always thought that the Q10 would be my first BB, but I did some research and thought, I think it's time for my first all touchscreen phone (I had the HTC MyTouch 3G Slide and the HTC MyTouch 4G Slide which I loved but were dated.) So, I got the HTC ONE which was phenomenal so I didn't really regret not getting the Q10 but it was always on my mind. A year later I upgraded to the HTC ONE (M8) which I was OK with, awesome device. However, BB has been on my mind again. I've been DYING to get one, I was checking out the classic for a WHILE now, not sure if I should do it or not, I had seen the Passport but, meh, wasn't really too crazy about the design. A few nights ago I was doing intensive research on the Classic and the Passport. Passport is so much more superior in almost every way than the classic. So, I took advantage of the presidents day weekend sale and bought the white BlackBerry Passport from Amazon for 499.99. I'm so eager and excited to get it tomorrow, I even ordered one day shipping. Typically I can wait for my packages but I'm too excited for it. I still have my HTC ONE (M8) but wanna keep it as a backup.

I've always had android, I don't know what to expect with BB. Any advice, tips, things I should know. I don't care much for the lack of apps, besides all the apps I use I checked and BB has 'em. Any cute cases I should get, I like to show off the phone and not have a case that completely covers it. ETC...

Thanks. Can't wait to be a BB member!
    Welcome, I've got no real tips as everything will find its way when you fire up your passport tomorrow.

I do however think the blackberry hardcase would fitt you fine. It won't protect your screen, but it fits really well and is pretty thin.

Posted via CB10
    02-17-15 12:43 PM
    A sense of humor and patience.
    mlbrowninsc likes this.
    02-17-15 12:50 PM
    Welcome. I think you will really like the Passport. Take a few days to get used to the keyboard. In a couple days you'll never want to use a touch screen keyboard again lol. I have had mine from the day after launch and love it. Having never used BlackBerry before you're sure to run into a couple things from the android world that may need a work around. Best advice I can give is once you have used it for a while check back here with questions. This is one of the best forums around and members are willing to help out where possible. Lots of great information already in the forums to read as well. Enjoy the Passport!

Posted via CB10
    bh7171 likes this.
    02-17-15 12:52 PM
    Don't sit on ur phone. Don't buy the stick on blackberry flip case, try amazon or ebay for cases.
    02-17-15 12:59 PM
    Get a RingkeFusion clear case for your white Passport to flaunt it...
    Enjoy!!!

RedBlackBeast�
    02-17-15 01:04 PM
    I know how excited you are. But don't get confused by size and some app lacks. Overall it is superior in performance.

Give passport for two weeks to used to once you done you will never look back. Emailing and using physical keys are phenomenal.

No back keys. Everything is controlled by gesture. In some applications keyboard has shortcuts

P for previous page
    T for top of the page
    B for bottom of the page
    N next or next poster
    S for search
    R for reply
    Spacebar to next page

Quick dialing shortcuts keys

And many more to come in next update.

]|I{�------� ѕєηт �яσм му  ραѕѕρσят. �------�}I|[
    Serkle K likes this.
    02-17-15 01:11 PM
    Spend time here reading the various sections of CB. This will be your best source of information and reliable answers to your questions. Be patient and willing to take chances with some of the droid apps.
    02-17-15 01:22 PM
    If you got white, you might want to get the Ringke Fusion case on Amazon. It offers full protection and is clear, so the style of your phone can show through. I have a red and a black Passport, and for the black one I use the Amzer Pudding case, the Seidio case (no holster), and the OEM hardshell case. The hardshell one offers almost no protection, other than to the back of your phone so you can set it down. The sides are all exposed, so if you drop it, the stainless steel sides will almost definitely be scratched. The Amzer Pudding comes in black, and it's all around protection, but leaves the power button open, which is fine. I've dropped my Passport in this case and it sort of bounces and that's it. Same for the Ringke case. It's really durable and I've sadly dropped my red Passport while it's been in that case, and nothing has happened.

The OEM screen protectors work well, you just have to have patience with putting it on. People here complain about the bubbles and stuff, but I've gone through a few of them, and each one fits.

Give your battery a few days, or maybe a week to really get good. I've been a BlackBerry user since 2007 and have had tons of them, but the Passport is by far my favorite. The keyboard will take a bit to get used to, but just try and be on it as much as possible (and download the CB10 app) to get used to the keyboard and flicking words. I never used Android, so I'm not sure what the differences are.. good luck.
    02-17-15 01:31 PM
    Welcome, there are two options , first one is that after a week you will love the BlackBerry Passport and its unique keyboard and the second one is that will be difficult for you to get used with the OS and you will sell the device and get back to android. For sure you are on the right place for advices and information. When you take it use the search button in the forum for everything you need about BlackBerry OS and functions and I am sure you will quickly go ahead

Posted via BlackBerry Passport
    02-17-15 02:46 PM
    Welcome, you will love the multi task active frame, will love the hub a lot, predictive text and physical keypad is super. I would suggest to get a hard case if you are planning to put your passport in your pants pocket. Passport imho prone to slight twisting. The hard case will help avoid this. If you use Google contact, works great. I personally prefer to save my contact in Google contact only instead both local and Google contact. This will save you time linking your contact or you will end up with duplicate contacts. Do install snap, you can find most android apps there if you can't in amazon apps store. If you use android apps, some apps works better if you zoom out the apps, inside apps swipe down, choose zoom out, such as instagram, flipboard works better when zoomed out. Some android apps can drain your battery, they run in the background even though you don't open them. Get yourself app called task manager, this will show your android apps running in background. This app has the capability to kill the running apps. Your passport battery should last you a day or two without charging, unless you use lots of gps such as waze, maps, etc. All these are my personal experience with passport, others might think otherwise. Please enjoy your new secure work beast.

Posted via CB10
    GSG9 likes this.
    02-17-15 07:23 PM
    Welcome!

Pretty much everything to be said has been. Keeping up with CrackBerry and asking questions when I went to the Q10 from a Samsung Galaxy S2 made things a lot easier. Once you get used to the swipe interface you'll catch yourself trying to do it on other devices (I do it on my iPad mini all the time). Its a very efficient OS.

Posted via CB10
    02-17-15 07:34 PM
    Hey everybody. So I'm typing this on my new passport. I'm so excited I love it. I've gotten so many compliments within the first two hours of having it.

The only aspect I do not like is the camera, it has a blue hue and it's really not that good. Everything else so far seems ok.

I haven't been this excited for a device in ages. I'm finally apart of the BlackBerry family.

Posted via CB10
    SmileDahling and bspence87 like this.
    02-18-15 07:03 PM
    Could you share some of the picture. I am curious about the blue hue.

Posted via CB10
    02-18-15 08:14 PM
    Hey everybody. So I'm typing this on my new passport. I'm so excited I love it. I've gotten so many compliments within the first two hours of having it.

The only aspect I do not like is the camera, it has a blue hue and it's really not that good. Everything else so far seems ok.

I haven't been this excited for a device in ages. I'm finally apart of the BlackBerry family.

Posted via CB10
    Make sure you removed the blue protective plastic on the lens of the camera.

Posted via CB10
    02-18-15 09:44 PM

Posted via CB10
    Did you take the plastic off of the camera lens?

I think you�ll enjoy the Hub and messaging and multitasking of the BlackBerry. No more need for a home button and multiple apps and tedious switching between messages.

Posted via Passport!
    02-18-15 09:46 PM
    Yes. I took off all the plastics from the phone upon opening the box.

I was indoors in a low lighted area and took my first picture. First one came out blurry, the second one looked like a picture I would've taken with my sidekick lx. I deleted them before complaining on here. Tomorrow during the day time I'm gonna take pictures outside and see if it was just a lighting issue.

Posted via CB10
    02-18-15 09:51 PM
    All the keyboard tips here: http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=965730

Posted via CB10
    anon(4067838) likes this.
    02-18-15 10:00 PM
    Sure? The camera has a small plastic just on it alone.

Posted via Passport!
    02-18-15 10:03 PM
    Positive. The screen, the back and camera had plastic. I just double checked to make sure. I'll post pictures as soon as I can. (probably tomorrow)

Posted via CB10
    02-18-15 10:06 PM
    Did you clean the lens after removing the plastic film?

Posted via CB10
    02-18-15 10:09 PM
    Current os passport has problem with focus, especially moving object,in low light, or too much light. That's what I felt. Blue hue is new though. That's why I am curious.

Posted via CB10
    02-19-15 02:23 AM
    Welcome!
    One thing I can recommend is to do the tutorials again, maybe in a week or so. It's amazing what you can forget especially on a new form factor and new OS.

Posted via CB10
    02-19-15 05:21 AM
    Congrats on your new Passport! You're gonna love it!

My recommendations would be the ff:

1. Familiarize how the numbers are mapped to the keyboard. If you do, it will come natural to you to just press the associated key instead of the glass, even if you're looking on the screen and the keyboard.

2. Read the 'Keyboard Tips' under the STICKIES SECTION of the Passport forum. It will give you tips how to have a different experience of browsing the Web just by using the keyboard, and not touching the glass. Examples would be:

R key to enter Reader mode
    T key to go to top of the article
    B key to go to bottom of the article
    N key or spacebar to go to the next frame
    P key to go to previous frame
    I key to zoom in
    O key to zoom out
    And a lot more...

When you're on OS 10.3.1, which is coming soon, you can also assign a key to open an application when you're on the home screen. Example would be,

F key for Facebook
    T for Twitter
    E for Evernote

3. I absolutely love the Reader mode. I just press the R key, and it removes all the clutter of a particular webpage so you can just read the particular article you like. Though, this can't be done on all. But most pages can. Press the Back virtual key to go back to the original page (though I prefer pressing the R key again would do this. Hopefully in the future OS updates)

4. If you type a lot on text messages, and find yourself typing long words or even phrases all the time, you can take advantage of Word Substitution (Settings> Language and Input> Prediction and Correction> Word Substitution. For example, you always put in your message the phrase "I love my new BlackBerry Passport ". You can assign that whole sentence to "aaa". Just by typing the A key 3 times, you will have that sentence already on the screen!

5. Get a case! If you'll need to put it in your pants pocket, I suggest you use at least a hard shell case. I believe the design of the passport is vulnerable to twisting when subjected to twisting pressures in the pocket when you sit down.

6. Lastly, you'll learn a lot just by browsing in the CrackBerry forums!

Let's continue enjoying our BlackBerry Passports!!!

Posted via my Pretty WhiteBerry Passport SQW100-1/10.3.0.1418
    02-19-15 05:54 AM
    Tips for someone new to BlackBerry.-img_20150219_110208.jpg looks good there. I guess it was in low light situations. I'll check at work tonight and see if it still happens.

Posted via CB10
    02-19-15 10:03 AM
27 12