I've decided to try a factory reset of my Passport, to fix a problem that won't go away. What are some good tips on how to save my phone contacts and data before I do a factory reset?

Also, to do the wipe, do I just go to Settings->Security & Privacy->Security Wipe->Delete Data?????

Posted via CB10
    01-02-19 05:30 PM
    I've decided to try a factory reset of my Passport, to fix a problem that won't go away. What are some good tips on how to save my phone contacts and data before I do a factory reset?

Also, to do the wipe, do I just go to Settings->Security & Privacy->Security Wipe->Delete Data?????

Posted via CB10
    First some more info:

1. What OS are you currently on?
    2. Can you connect and do a backup with Link on a Windows PC?
    3. Do you have an app from BBW that will backup info such as Contacts etc?
    4. What is the current problem you have with your Passport?
    01-02-19 05:37 PM
    1) OS 10.3.3.1435
    2) I do have Link installed on PC, but never use it.
    3) I never downloaded any backup apps from BBW.
    4) My problem is that my ability to send/receive
    group text messages is suddenly broken. It only
    happens with a specific group of 5 people. I can
    send group texts to other people, but I can no
    longer communicate with my group of 5. This
    problem first occurred when I mistakenly pressed
    "End Chat" in an effort to clean out thousands of
    old messages and images.

Posted via CB10
    01-02-19 06:01 PM
    Okay, first thing is to make a backup. I would hook up to Link and make a backup there concentrating on contacts, settings and data. You should probably also make a backup of contacts etc using an ap such as Ultimate Backup (best) or if you want free try searching in BBW for "backup". Download and use an app with good reviews (there are several). Once you have made backups proceed to download the Passport autoloader here: https://mega.nz/#F!fA0URRLL!P-4nDqc5...5LyhA!uUEXFISb

It is the zipped 1.46 Gb file (Passport of course). Download that file using your PC and place it on your desktop. Unzip the file using the windows program 7-zip or Winzip to give you a large .exe autoloader file. Plug your Passport into the PC and close Link if it opens. Then just click on the .exe file and the autoloader will start. The process will take about 15 minutes, the device will reboot (takes awhile so be patient) and then you can set the device up as new with your BBID and password. You will now have the most recent OS on your Passport and you can restore apps etc at your leisure.

As to your group text message problem, this should fix it unless you try restoring sms from backups. That may just screw it up again.

Note also that your contacts will probably repopulate and maybe even doubles of everything if you have enabled Google or other 3rd party contact syncing. You may want to disable that and just let your BBID populate the contacts. If that fails, just restore using the app backup method.

Good Luck!
    01-02-19 06:26 PM
    Posted via CB10
    01-02-19 06:52 PM
    I will give this a try after I carefully backup all data on my Passport. Thank you!

Posted via CB10
    01-02-19 06:53 PM
    I plugged my phone into BlackBerry Link today, hoping to be able to copy files and photos to my PC. BB Link said I needed to upgrade to the latest version of OS 10, so without thinking I pressed start install. It completely erased my phone (except on the SD card) and I lost my phone contacts and everything. Oh well, I guess I got the factory reset that I wanted, but at a price.

Know what's weird? My OS version is still 10.3.3.1435. That's the same version as before the upgrade. Why would BB Link think that I needed an upgrade if I already had 10.3.3.1435?

Posted via CB10
    01-06-19 08:20 AM
    I plugged my phone into BlackBerry Link today, hoping to be able to copy files and photos to my PC. BB Link said I needed to upgrade to the latest version of OS 10, so without thinking I pressed start install. It completely erased my phone (except on the SD card) and I lost my phone contacts and everything. Oh well, I guess I got the factory reset that I wanted, but at a price.

Know what's weird? My OS version is still 10.3.3.1435. That's the same version as before the upgrade. Why would BB Link think that I needed an upgrade if I already had 10.3.3.1435?

Posted via CB10
    Since BB10 is the greatest mobile OS ever, one mustn’t question the logic....
    It happened, therefore it was decided..... the BB10 version 10.3.3.1435 is all knowing...... Can you imagine what a 10.3.4 will bring on 12/31/2019 if offered?

Sorry for the diatribe.... and sorry you lost all the info....
    01-06-19 08:25 AM

Posted via CB10
    Even with a sim inside are you not able to upgrade to the last software release?

Posted via CB10
    01-06-19 08:46 AM
    Since BB10 is the greatest mobile OS ever, one mustn’t question the logic....
    It happened, therefore it was decided..... the BB10 version 10.3.3.1435 is all knowing...... Can you imagine what a 10.3.4 will bring on 12/31/2019 if offered?

Sorry for the diatribe.... and sorry you lost all the info....
    Well, this has nothing to do with the autoloader....

Posted via CB10
    01-06-19 08:47 AM
    Isn't 10.3.3.1435 the last version of OS 10?

Posted via CB10
    01-06-19 09:44 AM
    Well, this has nothing to do with the autoloader....

Posted via CB10
    He already had the last (same) version installed but got an update message from BB Link that erroneously identified his version as not up to date even though it was already the same version.....
    01-06-19 10:31 AM
    Isn't 10.3.3.1435 the last version of OS 10?

Posted via CB10
    10.3.3.3216 (SW 10.3.3.2137), although whether Link will let you update to it depends on your carrier/zodiac sign/whatever else is involved. It's easier and more consistent to update manually.
    01-06-19 10:34 AM