Was due an upgrade on my phone contract, so started looking at phone reviews online. Saw the passport was supposed to be a phone with really good battery life so I decided to get one. My carrier unfortunately doesn't stock blackberry's at all, so I had to go out and buy one outright.

I've had it for over a month now and all I can say is how disappointed I am with it. The battery is pretty bad take this for example:
    Time to buy an iPhone? Passport let me down?-img_20150509_130750.png
    All I done was read a few forums posts. I haven't got android on it, tried uninstalling apps etc but no avail still a terrible battery life. Contacted blackberry via twitter and all they did was paste me a link on how to use battery saving mode.

The browser is still laggy and buggy with flickering. There is occasional lag and it doesn't feel smooth at all. I've had several occasions where I can't close an app because it won't register the swipe upward motion. Notications on lockscreen are intermittent at best, sometimes they show you the info by clicking on them and sometimes you dont.
    There's a lot of niggles, and unfortunately it let's the phone down as a whole. The lack of call blocking features and some features not being available further makes the situation worse.

Gone are the days where blackberry used to be seen as a reliable phone against all the buggy android and apple phones, now it's become the bottom of the pile I'm afraid to say. For such a supposed premium phone, it's just too flawed and let down by the lack of bug testing and the poor/ very limited support.

Posted via CB10
    kertong likes this.
    05-09-15 07:33 AM
    What software version are you running. I have had some other issues but browser was never laggy.

I'm not sure why the system is using so many resources. How many accounts do you have synced?

Posted via CB10
    05-09-15 07:39 AM

Posted via CB10
    05-09-15 07:41 AM
    Well I tested a password for few days and didnt't keep it as well. But more because of the size. It was just too big for me.
    The battery seemed to last a day by heavy usage and this is very good!
    By heavy usage I mean use the whole day messaging, browsing, installing, configuring, video, etc. Without laying it aside.

Maybe you activated too many services like nfc, GPS, etc!?

Posted via CB10
    05-09-15 07:43 AM
    Sounds like your mind is made up?

Posted by my fabulous red Passport
    bungaboy, andy957 and extisis like this.
    05-09-15 07:45 AM
    Have you done an hard reset?
    Press for few seconds togheter the volume buttons just to the reebot of the phone.
    BigAl_BB9900 likes this.
    05-09-15 07:46 AM
    Looks very odd. I use my Passport pretty heavily for emails, whatsapp, browsing, listening to music, some youtubes, viewing docs, taking photos etc and I have just under 20% by the time I plug in again. My phone is on from 6:30am to 12:00am. Some people get 2 days on one charge, but I've never done that. By comparison my Q10 will only last from 6:30am to around 3pm doing the same stuff. If you do change to an iphone, then you better get the iphone 6+ (due to the larger battery capacity) . I have many friend with iphone 6 and they are also constantly plugged in (as soon as they arrive at work, to the time they leave the office).

Posted via CB10
    05-09-15 07:53 AM
    Was due an upgrade on my phone contract, so started looking at phone reviews online. Saw the passport was supposed to be a phone with really good battery life so I decided to get one. My carrier unfortunately doesn't stock blackberry's at all, so I had to go out and buy one outright.

I've had it for over a month now and all I can say is how disappointed I am with it. The battery is pretty bad take this for example:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20150509_130750.png 
Views:	4732 
Size:	81.6 KB 
ID:	351908
    All I done was read a few forums posts. I haven't got android on it, tried uninstalling apps etc but no avail still a terrible battery life. Contacted blackberry via twitter and all they did was paste me a link on how to use battery saving mode.

The browser is still laggy and buggy with flickering. There is occasional lag and it doesn't feel smooth at all. I've had several occasions where I can't close an app because it won't register the swipe upward motion. Notications on lockscreen are intermittent at best, sometimes they show you the info by clicking on them and sometimes you dont.
    There's a lot of niggles, and unfortunately it let's the phone down as a whole. The lack of call blocking features and some features not being available further makes the situation worse.

Gone are the days where blackberry used to be seen as a reliable phone against all the buggy android and apple phones, now it's become the bottom of the pile I'm afraid to say. For such a supposed premium phone, it's just too flawed and let down by the lack of bug testing and the poor/ very limited support.

Posted via CB10
    Here are some things that you should check/do to ensure better battery life, and they do make a difference:

1). Turn off sending of diagnostics. In Settings, go to 'security & privacy', 'diagnostics', and ensure the option is turned off.
    2). Screen management- Turn brightness down below 50%. Turn it up only when needed, such as outdoors on a sunny day. Also, change the screen timeout value to a low level, such as 30 seconds. Go to 'settings', 'display' to adjust.
    3). Turn off device connections when not needed, including Blend. No need to have your device constantly connecting to your home pc or laptop.
    4). Turn off 'traffic data collection'. Go to 'settings', 'location services', and turn it off. No need to constantly send location info to BlackBerry.
    5). Go to app manager and scrutinize apps that have permission to run when minimized and run in the background.

All of the above combined can contribute to significant battery drain. I get a full day plus with my Passport with heavy use...very heavy use!

Posted via BlackBerry Passport via CB10
    Last edited by kthhrrsn; 05-09-15 at 04:38 PM.
    Avenzuno, bungaboy, highos and 7 others like this.
    05-09-15 07:56 AM
    Whatever is contributing to 41% System is the issue. That's the problem right there. Define that and your Passport will be as good if not better than any other mobile out there. Or just go and buy an iPhone

Posted by my fabulous red Passport
    Last edited by bigbadben10; 05-09-15 at 08:20 AM.
    Barbareren, extisis and andy957 like this.
    05-09-15 08:02 AM
    All I done was read a few forums posts.
    Posted via CB10
    Therein lies the problem...
    Avenzuno likes this.
    05-09-15 08:14 AM
    Peace out
    extisis likes this.
    05-09-15 08:15 AM
    Sounds like something is wrong. When I had the Passport, I'd get a full day with hard use, and two days with medium use.

Posted via CB10
    05-09-15 08:42 AM
    41% battery drain from system is insane. I'd guess the easiest remedy would be a wipe and OS reinstall as you claim you have nothing on your phone that should cause this.

My Passport has never had poor battery life. Not even when settling in. As an example, yesterday I went for a meeting at our central office. On the journey to the office and at the office service is spotty, LTE goes in and out in about 5 areas. When I had my Z10, with LTE and WiFi left on, I'd return home after 12 hours with about 30% battery life using my phone very little. Yesterday I returned after 12 hours, several phone calls, texts, killing the ride down and back by searching online and a bit of GPS, still had 83% battery left to waste playing Candy Crush, Trivia Crack and some Web searching before bed. It was still at about 55% when I finally plugged it in at 11:30pm.

Something is not running correctly on your phone or you have an account on your phone not set up correctly that is struggling to sync. Do some real troubleshooting before you condemn the phone. Every individual setup could have its own challenges.

Posted via CB10
    ymb, Barbareren and andy957 like this.
    05-09-15 09:46 AM
    If OP Thinks life will be better after OS8 on Apple... good luck. You have battery issues and lag. When work stuck me with my iphone 6. First one did not fire at all... replacement was fine till I did one of the OS8 updates.,.. then phone would not longer make calls ( never would after that )... recieved my 3rd shiny Apple phone ... installed latest update and it bricked... remember... grass is never greener....
    05-09-15 09:52 AM
    My suggestions reset to factory. Then use it for a day with just your email and text. See how it does then start to install your compulsory apps. There must be an app or something causing this terrible battery service.
    05-09-15 10:36 AM
    Battery 🔋 is the best thing you can get in passport. I have 10.3.2.

Passport
    05-09-15 10:39 AM
    My suggestions reset to factory. Then use it for a day with just your email and text. See how it does then start to install your compulsory apps. There must be an app or something causing this terrible battery service.
    This is the only solution.
    You have a bad install or something conflicting but it's not normal at all.
    Connect to BlackBerry link and perform OS reload and your problem will be resolved. DO NOT restore from a backup !
    anon(153966) and Barbareren like this.
    05-09-15 10:45 AM
    This is the only solution.
    You have a bad install or something conflicting but it's not normal at all.
    Connect to BlackBerry link and perform OS reload and your problem will be resolved. DO NOT restore from a backup !
    Especially if it's brand new and lagging. Something in the OS is not as it should be.

Posted via CB10
    05-09-15 11:19 AM
    This battery life is not normal at all!
    I had a similar issue some time ago when I set my email accounts to synchronize ''for ever''.
    I reset them back to the default 30 days and my battery life went back to normal.

Sent from my BlackBerry Passport
    05-09-15 11:50 AM

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20150509_130750.png 
Views:	4732 
Size:	81.6 KB 
ID:	351908

Posted via CB10
    I would suggest a clean install of the OS through BlackBerry Link. Don't perform a restore afterwards, because if it's a software issue, that would simply restore the problem.

Let us know how it goes!

Z30 / STA100-5 /10.3.1.1784 (no more double-typing Q10).
    05-09-15 11:59 AM
    OP, just curious, don't you fully charge your battery overnight before use in the mornings? Again, it's your money so if you think an iPhone's battery will last longer then you should switch. The Passport is a very good phone and the battery lasts a whole day on a full charge.
    05-09-15 03:43 PM
    I'm getting two days out of mine with constant high volume email and BBM. Rather than just jump the ship, why doesn't the OP avail himself of BlackBerry support or even warranty service? The upgrade was done through their service provider, so they should have access to after-sales service.

However, if the OP likes to burn through money and feels an iPhone will solve their problems, go in peace. Freedom of choice...a beautiful thing.
    05-09-15 04:33 PM
    Sometimes I feel people make a mountain out of a molehill. There are so many options available here to resolve said issue(s)...
    Plazmic Flame likes this.
    05-09-15 04:51 PM
    Op didn't mention where they bought their Passport. If it was a private sale they might have been sold a defective unit perhaps?

Loving my Passport!
    05-09-15 04:53 PM
    Sometimes I feel people make a mountain out of a molehill. There are so many options available here to resolve said issue(s)...
    Yes. When the only help mentioned was contacting BlackBerry on Twitter and reading a few threads here. In this thread in particular, easy DIY suggestions have been made, OP has not returned. There's also an actual BlackBerry forum. Lots of places to ask for help.

Posted via CB10
    05-09-15 05:34 PM
64 123