I found this blog/opinion piece a delightful read. I enjoyed it and you may as well. Enjoy

The Tide Turning ? Americans Want A BlackBerry Passport! | UTB Blogs

Posted via CB10
    09-14-14 05:08 PM
    Cool article. Thanks for sharing.
    missing_K-W and lang007 like this.
    09-14-14 05:18 PM
    Cool article. Thanks for sharing.
    Very welcome. The author does makes a valid point I have noticed as well. Whether it be GSM, the Verge, Engadget etc. The comments section really highlights the interest in this device. Quite the contrary to comment sections of past

Posted via CB10
    09-14-14 05:20 PM
  4. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    Very nice!!! And yeah.. missing the days at K-W ( university of Waterloo computer science grad..) ...

Go BlackBerry!!!

Future Passport owner... lol

Posted via CB10
    missing_K-W likes this.
    09-14-14 05:33 PM
    Great read. Thanks for sharing buddy

Posted via CB10
    09-14-14 07:05 PM
    Yeaaah! I'm American and I want it!

Posted via CB10
    Anilu7 likes this.
    09-14-14 10:00 PM
    I too am "murican". And I too want that phone.

" I do not think that word means what you think it means. "
    09-15-14 12:30 AM
    Generating lots of hype - they did this last fall when they released BBM. The end effect - it ended up hurting their image even more as droves of people uninstalled it after a few months due to delays in message delivery and also not having (and still not having) features that we BlackBerry users enjoy, thus failing to drive home any reason why it's better than competing messaging platforms.

If the Passport is released with any bugs or keyboard issues or if the keyboard experience turns out to be a novelty rather than something useful, it's going to get amplified by reviewers and BlackBerry won't be releasing anymore devices next year.

The one thing that's been silently going un-noticed is that the Z30 and OS 10.2.1 has been receiving very positive reviews lately and it's generally acknowledged just how nice the OS is, so we'll see what happens. I almost think it's better to just stay out of the limelight for the time being, unless they know they have a real winner on their hands.

The Passport's reception has been mixed so far.

#CB10 #Q10 #Darkhorse
    calcareer and andy957 like this.
    09-15-14 01:27 AM
    Funny I talk to many iphone users how are starting to use BBM. Many people are going back to it. Tide is turning.

Posted via CB10
    Lacker20 likes this.
    09-15-14 02:05 PM
    Thanx for sharing the information
    09-15-14 02:46 PM
    There's still no clear indication that I know of how American customers are going to obtain a Passport, once it is released to the rest of the world.
    It would be nice if there were some sort of unofficial confirmation from BlackBerry that an unlocked version will be made available for people who use carriers that won't be offering it. (AT&T, Verizon, Sprint...)
    Really, at this point, we don't even know for sure if T-Mobile is on board. I personally have no interest in jumping ship to go to T-Mobile anyway.
    09-17-14 08:28 AM
    Of course it has been mixed. Who would expect a unanimous opinion about anything that's new?
    And there will undoubtedly be bugs. My question would be whether there's a better alternative available. For my needs - a good QWERTY keyboard and a large screen, there are no other options other than to stay with my aging Dell Venue Pro.
    Maybe the Classic, but I'd be losing screen space that I have become accustomed to.

The Passport's reception has been mixed so far.

#CB10 #Q10 #Darkhorse
    09-17-14 08:32 AM
    I'm talking about skeptics who are long time apple and android users who generally have a negative view on BlackBerry.

Leading up to the launch of cross platform bbm they were all asking why switch when there's whatsapp.

The hype was big enough to get them to at least try it out - and it could've gone two ways, it could've shown then how amazing bbm (and by extension BlackBerry) was and why they should use it instead of whatsapp but instead, it had a cumbersome way to add contacts, delayed messages, no channels, no voice, and no video.

Guess what, what's app is still growing and has the most active monthly users while bbm plateaued and given the hundreds of millions of potential new users, they haven't even cracked 100million yet (which is a total failure seeing as how they had around 80million legacy and bb10 users to start with), and they expected launching on windows to push them over....

They're not really in a position to launch buggy products and get away with it.

The passport hype is huge, I just hope that it delivers - I know it'll be a great device for new qwerty users but for people expecting this to be a traditional physical keyboard experience, I've been told it gets old fast and becomes frustrating more than useful. For those unwilling to adapt to a new input method that is.

We'll see, I hope they succeed obviously.

Posted via CB10 on the Z "Dirty" 30
    09-17-14 02:05 PM
    i am ready.
    09-17-14 02:44 PM
    It's a good read and I hope it will turn out to be true.

The thing is, though, online comments basically aren't worth anything. They don't really represent any statistically relevant group as they are mostly distorted by some kind of emotionally involved people. Just look at the voting results of this "Verge" article. It's good to see, but it's not representative. What counts in the end are sales figures.
    09-17-14 04:48 PM
    What you've just said about the Passport is what I'm afraid of for myself. I will be really really steamed at BlackBerry if the experience using the keyboard turns out to be more of a mental chore than the ease of just using a normal physical keyboard.
    It would have been so easy for them to have captured the same functionality with a large slider phone. I really hope that the "innovative" things about the Passport aren't eventually viewed as more of a gimmick than anything else.

The passport hype is huge, I just hope that it delivers - I know it'll be a great device for new qwerty users but for people expecting this to be a traditional physical keyboard experience, I've been told it gets old fast and becomes frustrating more than useful. For those unwilling to adapt to a new input method that is.

We'll see, I hope they succeed obviously.

Posted via CB10 on the Z "Dirty" 30
    09-18-14 08:14 AM
    I think the posting was well done. I am very interested in the Passport, but having had my Z30 for less than a year, I may have to delay acquisition.
    09-18-14 10:31 AM
    Even if BlackBerry releases an unlocked version, how could I use it on Verizon when it appears to not have CDMA radio capabilities? This still boggles my mind... why include everything but CDMA?
    09-18-14 10:36 AM
    "Not very long ago you were pretty safe if you wanted to look very big and clever on the internet to slam BlackBerry at every turn. Chances were that you could bank on starting a thread alluding to the ?death of BlackBerry?, ?circling the drain? or ?too little, too late? and then sit back and feel all cuddly and warm in the pants area as lots of people validated your trendy negativity by agreeing with you."

Hahahahaha... I wish this was solidly in the past, but it's so very true. It's the one assumed piece of "basic knowledge" about the "current state of technology," that any buffoon commenting on a mass-consumption news page will confidently trumpet. Most people would first argue about whether a charger "pushes" current (and thus you should be weary of those high mA rated chargers!.. lol), than about BlackBerry's demise.

Posted via CB10
    09-18-14 10:51 AM
    The point is, it doesn't have to be a massive hit, it just has to change the perception of BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    09-18-14 10:54 AM
    "The tide is turning".. that phrase is thrown around here a lot on every release, it's starting to lose its meaning.

pin:2B7CAF06
    dejanh, kbz1960, btj and 3 others like this.
    09-18-14 11:05 AM
    Good read, for me I am hoping it will be available on the BlackBerry online store, I am fortunate because I am right across the border from Windsor Ontario, so I can get an unlocked version from Canada. Even with the crazy 15% tax, I would probably buy one if it's not available in the USA for a while and the price is reasonable.

Sent from my Lovely z30 on T Mobile USA (10.3.0.1154)
    09-18-14 12:02 PM
    My constant annoyance with touch typing inaccuracy will FINALLY End with the qwerty keyboard BlackBerry passport. I've tried almost all touch typing devices in every genre and os and although the Z30 is improved, I look forward to using a classic qwerty keyboard device again.

Posted by CB10 / STA100-5 10.2.1.2977
    09-18-14 02:09 PM
    I have heard and read it is actually very difficult for imessage folks to unhook gracefully from the Apple system. it seems a daunting task from other forums etc.
    09-18-14 02:12 PM
    Well I don't know about Tmo or AT&T but a Verizon "authorized dealer" who is getting his store soon was at my work so I asked him if there were any new phones coming and of course he said "iPhone 6". To that I said what about BlackBerry and his exact words "BlackBerry is dead". I mean a a business owner whose job in part is to know about phones has no clue on upcoming phones except the FAD just saddened me even though I don't have Verizon, but T-Mobile. Also all these websites reporting on those renders of a T-Mobile passport are getting peoples hopes up because if it doesn't turn out that way, they'll need to call an ambulance to get their foot out of their mouths. But one can hope its true.
    09-18-14 04:06 PM
37 12