First thread at Crackberry for me,

After being a loyal Android power user for many moons, I started the process of porting my number out of Google Voice yesterday and I'm switching to BB.

On my Passport I have Gmail sideloaded but obviously notifications don't push to the hub. I also set up the IMAP settings in Gmail so messages are deleted and not archived when I delete them from the Hub.

With that said, how do you guys manage the various labels and access your messages? I guess I could set up a "For archive" label or something like that to mark messages and then archive them via a PC once a week. And if I need to access an old message I can use the Gmail apk. Maybe you guys have a better solution.

I would also entertain other email providers as well, so let me know what you use. I have my own domain and used Gmail as the email service for years, so I have kazillions of messages. If I moves services (a private one maybe but I haven't researched) I'm guessing it would be easy to transfer all those messages?

Thanks guys, happy to join the community.
    anon(870071) likes this.
    03-24-15 02:33 PM
    I use labels on known emails that aren't usually urgent and view them from the web client through out the day.

I've thought about moving to Outlook.com with active sync so I can see incoming mail regardless of folders, but I've come to appreciate this set up so I don't get so many emails to the hub for daily newsletters and server backup status messages, etc.

If I know that an email should have come in, I just browse to the folder and view from the hub.

I've bought and used a few of the native third party Gmail apps, but rarely if ever used them.

Posted via CB10
    03-24-15 02:57 PM
    I have three Gmail accounts and one non Gmail account, all in the hub. And I've color coded each account

Posted via CB10
    03-24-15 03:07 PM
    I have three Gmail accounts and one non Gmail account, all in the hub. And I've color coded each account

Posted via CB10
    Let me clarify, I'm mostly referring to archiving/deleting/accessing messages. You can't access archived messages using hub because of how Gmail is set up.
    03-24-15 03:10 PM
    The hub should be all you need for emails and there is no need to sideload Gmail app. In the hub if you go to your Gmail account by using the pull menu swipe from left, all your Gmail labels now show up as email folders that you can drill down to. By default when you register Gmail with the hub, the option is to sync only one month worth of emails, but you can also choose to sync everything from all the time. If you have lots of emails archived, it will take some time and eat up battery for that initial sync. The hub interoperates seamlessly with all major email providers and that has been BlackBerry strength since the very beginning.
    03-24-15 03:16 PM
    Let me clarify, I'm mostly referring to archiving/deleting/accessing messages. You can't access archived messages using hub because of how Gmail is set up.
    I archive to folders and access them just fine from the HUB.
    03-24-15 03:21 PM
    In the hub if you go to your Gmail account by using the pull menu swipe from left, all your Gmail labels now show up as email folders that you can drill down to.
    Not true. The way Gmail implements archiving is different. There is no "Archived" folder within the hub, so all the messages I have archived are inaccessible.
    03-24-15 03:30 PM
    Not true. The way Gmail implements archiving is different. There is no "Archived" folder within the hub, so all the messages I have archived are inaccessible.
    But if you use your BB to "File" messages to "Folders", it has the affect in Gmail of applying a Label, and Archiving. Now you do have access to those messages because of the Label. I manage all of my (many) Gmail accounts this way - handling all the "Filing" using my BB. Everything has a Label. BB makes this a little easier, because after the first time you file something, your BB remembers where you filed a message from that sender. The next time you file it it defaults to that same Folder (Label). Since the vast majority of emails I receive come from someone who has sent me an email previously, HUB "Triage" makes Labeling and Archiving of Gmail messages quick and easy. Just turn on the right side "Triage" menu, and click the folders to the right of each message you want to Label/Archive. It keeps me very well organized. In fact, most of my messages are Labeled/Archived even before that, because the Folder icon appears for a few seconds after reading a message, and I usually just tap it then.
    03-24-15 04:31 PM
    But if you use your BB to "File" messages to "Folders", it has the affect in Gmail of applying a Label, and Archiving. Now you do have access to those messages because of the Label. I manage all of my (many) Gmail accounts this way - handling all the "Filing" using my BB. Everything has a Label. BB makes this a little easier, because after the first time you file something, your BB remembers where you filed a message from that sender. The next time you file it it defaults to that same Folder (Label). Since the vast majority of emails I receive come from someone who has sent me an email previously, HUB "Triage" makes Labeling and Archiving of Gmail messages quick and easy. Just turn on the right side "Triage" menu, and click the folders to the right of each message you want to Label/Archive. It keeps me very well organized. In fact, most of my messages are Labeled/Archived even before that, because the Folder icon appears for a few seconds after reading a message, and I usually just tap it then.
    That is exactly how I did it. It is true that Gmail-specific 'archiving' is not represented on the hub as a folder because I think it is special flag on your email that is not also a label.
    03-24-15 04:45 PM
    Ok, so I'm trying to understand this correctly. Should I go into my Gmail web interface on my PC and make a label called "Archive" or whatever, and apply that label to every single message that's currently archived in Gmail? I'm guessing by doing this it will effectively create another folder in Hub called "Archive." From there, all future messages in the Hub that I file to the "Archive" folder will be labeled accordingly on Gmail. But what about in the actual Gmail web interface when I access it on my PC, will the new messages I just labeled as "Archive" remain in the inbox, or will they be archived?

Lol this stuff is hard to explain clearly.
    03-24-15 04:47 PM
    What I assumed was correct. I highlighted every message in "All Mail" and applied a new label "Archived" to them. This created a new folder in the hub, and with sync turned on for it, I can now view all archived messages from Gmail on my Passport.

Filing any new messages to that folder effectively archives them within Gmail.

Great success. Thanks, case closed.
    ealvnv likes this.
    03-24-15 10:35 PM
    I use labels extensively, but I don't quite understand the point of Archive if its just a specially made label like any other.

Is there any special benefit of archiving emails other than just having a label/folder called "Archived" instead of "Keep" or "Important"? Or pretty much the same?
    03-25-15 03:23 AM