I order a passport from Amazon.com a weekish ago - to Australia. Waited (held my breath - been a BB devote since 1997). Arrived. Love at first sight. Switched it on. I realised i didn't have a nano sim in my z10.. but played around via wifi, loaded in the SD card from the z10, downloaded Skype from BB World and Instagram via the latest .apk i could find on Crackberry.

Then. Maybe an hour later. It switched off, went into a reboot spin and never returned to life.

I charged it for a few hours.
    I took out the SD card.
    I did about 15,000 3 finger reboots.
    It switched on again! I tried to upgrade the software, half way through installing, it died again.
    I plugged it into BB Link.. It connected.. the LED went green.. It said 'Can't do this. Err 255'
    I retried that about a zillion times.
    Would start booting up - sometimes just get to the logo, sometimes half way around the bubble circle of load tracker thing.. then switch off and flash. No consistent response.
    No love.
    LED flashing red, 3,2,3,2,3,2.... 3,1,3,1,3,1...

*painfully* i decided to return it to amazon.
    Amazon have sent a replacement.
    Australia will not let me ship a lithium battery outside of the country.
    Amazon tell me i can remove the battery and then send it back. Somehow i feel like thats going to end in tears.

Any suggestions?
    I've never ever ever ever had a BB fail, so while i'm sad, i still heart BB and wish them much future success - i'm sure there were lots of dud everyotherphonebrands out there too.
    11-14-14 04:47 AM
    So... your only remaining problem is shipping the failed device because of Aus regulations which are probably being misinterpreted.

Find the actual regulations relating to shipping lithium batteries. I think you may find there is a provision for small batteries which are integrated into other equipment, probably also based on lithium content and maybe also requiring you include a copy of documentation. Refer what you find to your point of contact at Amazon and get their advice, it is their problem because the first phone supplied was defective.

The other point is that lithium batteries are usually considered to be non-hazardous when discharged.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    11-14-14 05:17 AM
    Lots of dud people trying to make dud things.

Posted from a Z30. Get one!
    11-14-14 06:57 AM
    It's also common knowledge that a battery in installed is perfectly safe to travel the world.

Posted from a Z30. Get one!
    11-14-14 07:00 AM
    I know Australia can have some pretty strict rules about these things, but there must be a way to ship batteries like these things have. Maybe Amazon will pay for courier service if the Postal Service won't handle it.

Between checking the rules and trying to work with Amazon, I'm sure there's a way to get this sent back.

Still, having had something similar happen to me in the past, I really do feel for you. I hope your replacement phone is great.
    11-14-14 07:03 AM
    Amazon should be dealing with the return shipping paperwork if they shipped it to you in Australia.

In regards to shipping lithium ion batteries, your post office may no longer ship them because of the risk of fire in their sorting system. I am sure a courier can, such as Fedex or your Australian equivalent. This will be expensive, which is why Amazon should provide a return shipping label.

Posted via CB10
    11-14-14 07:11 AM
    Yeah i wish that Amazon would deal with the return.. But i've had two replies from them now - one to say go ahead and remove the battery before returning it, and the second (after i went back and said are you sure???) to say - contact Blackberry support directly first and see if they can fix it.

Problem is Amazon will charge me for the replacement if i don't return this bricked device.

Australia really don't make it easy. Looks like will cost about $150 to ship with an approved company. They don't care how much Lithium is in the batteries.
    11-14-14 11:52 PM
    What kind of law is that? There must be some way to get around the removal of battery issue. So what if you want to ship out an Apple phone to your relative overseas?

What you can do is if you know someone who's travelling to Canada or US within the month, you can ask that person to bring the phone with them and they can send it back to Amazon from that country. Since Amazon is already sending you a replacement phone, then it's a matter of time until you return the defective phone back. Email Amazon and ask them how long do you have until you have to return the bad phone back until you get charged double.

Amazon have sent a replacement.
    Australia will not let me ship a lithium battery outside of the country.
    Amazon tell me i can remove the battery and then send it back. Somehow i feel like thats going to end in tears.
    11-15-14 02:47 AM
    The final result (hopefully of help to someone in the future):

I called Blackberry. They took the order details and kindly talked to Amazon directly. Amazon called me and tried to process it through their own UPS account to arrange an airway bill for me to send it via them - but it wasn't possible.

They have requested i take the phone to a geek and have the battery removed - and then just post it back to Amazon..

Done I hope!
    11-15-14 04:00 AM
    Blackberry talking to Amazon is a nice surprise, considering how many people are generally complaining in numerous threads about BlackBerry support.

Totally Offtopic
    Weird regulations about shipping Li batteries - was the rule made up after the Boeing's battery fiasco? And they still have them - more securely containerised! LOL!

CB10 @ Q5
    11-15-14 07:43 AM
    You might want to check, but probably no post office will ship lithium ion batteries in the mail. The last thing they want is to have one get damaged in the sorting system and start a fire. The couriers know which have the batteries and probably treat accordingly.

Posted via CB10
    11-15-14 10:32 AM