Since there is no ambient light sensor, obviously Passport doesn't auto dim when you go from bright area to dark area, and I do that a lot, plus I work a lot late at night, so I have to constantly adjust the brightness.

Does any recent OS release make the screen dimmer at dimmest setting? I think it's still pretty bright at dimmest setting?
    Since we will not get a auto-brightness option, is there an app that can dim/brighten the display based on time of the day? Dim at night, bright during day, at least something like this?
    01-14-16 02:19 PM
    Since there is no ambient light sensor, obviously Passport doesn't auto dim when you go from bright area to dark area, and I do that a lot, plus I work a lot late at night, so I have to constantly adjust the brightness.

Does any recent OS release make the screen dimmer at dimmest setting? I think it's still pretty bright at dimmest setting?
    Since we will not get a auto-brightness option, is there an app that can dim/brighten the display based on time of the day? Dim at night, bright during day, at least something like this?
    i know it's not a perfect fix for you but you can try 360 privacy screen protector ,it's a little thicker ,darker
    01-14-16 03:11 PM

well, for one, you're entirely wrong. Search the forums regarding the ambient light sensors on every single BlackBerry device and the phenomenally good auto brightness. It sounds like your ambient light sensor itself is broken.

To test:
    Go open the help app and click testing in the left overflow menu
    Is there any OS release that address Passport's brightness? Any workarounds?-img_20160114_162032.png

Launch the app by clicking 'try this now'
    Navigate your way and test your ambient light sensor for functionality.
    01-14-16 03:22 PM
    well, for one, you're entirely wrong. Search the forums regarding the ambient light sensors on every single BlackBerry device and the phenomenally good auto brightness. It sounds like your ambient light sensor itself is broken.

To test:
    Go open the help app and click testing in the left overflow menu
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20160114_162032.png 
Views:	1480 
Size:	124.9 KB 
ID:	387800

Launch the app by clicking 'try this now'
    Navigate your way and test your ambient light sensor for functionality.

Where is the option to enable/disable Auto Brightness?
    01-16-16 11:34 PM
    There isn't. You can not disable it.
    01-17-16 10:35 AM
    It's already enabled thru the ambient light sensor there's no switch for it afaik

Posted via CB10
    01-17-16 08:19 PM
    There isn't. You can not disable it.
    It's already enabled thru the ambient light sensor there's no switch for it afaik

Posted via CB10

Thanks,

The reason I asked is because my ambient light sensor is working according to BBVE, but it is not adjusting my brightness one bit. It's blinding at night, so I turn it down, when I wake up and head outside, it's dim.. I need to go back into settings and shoot it up again. So I end up keeping it right in the middle.

Do you all notice a drastic change in brightness when you go from a bright room to a completely dark room?
    01-18-16 11:50 AM
    Yes. When the outside light changes the backlight changes too. If I am in bright light and I cover the light sensor the display dims immediately.
    01-18-16 12:07 PM
    Do you have a screen protector on and if so is it blocking the sensor?

Posted via CB10
    01-18-16 12:18 PM
    Yes. When the outside light changes the backlight changes too. If I am in bright light and I cover the light sensor the display dims immediately.
    Thanks for checking.
    What level is your brightness is set? Around the middle? Or full brightness?

Do you have a screen protector on and if so is it blocking the sensor?

Posted via CB10
    I have a screen protector on but it has cutouts for both ambient light sensor and the proximity sensor. If it was covering I think BBVE would have an error or not detect the light.

OK, I tested it by just putting my finger over the sensor, when I do that, it works, I can see it is dimming the screen to a pretty dim level, but when I move from room to room, it doesn't work. It does get pretty dim with finger over it. I think I'll start keeping my finger over that when I am reading in the dark room/bedroom, and I'll also test it to see if it actually dims further.
    Thanks for all the help everyone.
    01-18-16 02:02 PM
    The difference is not supposed to be drastic. The whole point of auto-brightness is that whether you are in a dark room or outside, the brightness always appears to be the same.
    Now it may be possible that the sensor is faulty even if it has passed the bbve testing...
    I just leave the brightness at the middle and I almost never need to bring it down.
    Did you try a 'hard reboot'? Holding both volume buttons until the phone reboots.

Unlike androids auto-brightness,which seems to only momentarily check for a difference in ambient lighting and you do notice a drastic change. BlackBerrys is continuous and you would have a hard time noticing it
    01-18-16 02:09 PM
    Another way to see if it is working is by paying attention to the keyboard lighting. The keys won't be lit if it detects you are in a bright setting and they will immediately turn on in a darker environment.
    01-18-16 02:20 PM
    Another way to see if it is working is by paying attention to the keyboard lighting. The keys won't be lit if it detects you are in a bright setting and they will immediately turn on in a darker environment.
    Yep, you are right, I realized that's a good indicator.

The difference is not supposed to be drastic. The whole point of auto-brightness is that whether you are in a dark room or outside, the brightness always appears to be the same.
    Now it may be possible that the sensor is faulty even if it has passed the bbve testing...
    I just leave the brightness at the middle and I almost never need to bring it down.
    Did you try a 'hard reboot'? Holding both volume buttons until the phone reboots.

Unlike androids auto-brightness,which seems to only momentarily check for a difference in ambient lighting and you do notice a drastic change. BlackBerrys is continuous and you would have a hard time noticing it
    I can notice it when I cover the sensor with my finger, and when I let it go, It's a drastic brightness because in bright area in lowest brightness, it gets pretty dim.
    I'll double check tonight in dark and see what happens.
    01-18-16 03:53 PM
    well it sounds like everything is working then... perhaps your light sensor is functioning but not to its best capacity?
    For example, I have my brightness set to the middle and in any room I can see the screen perfectly lit with no strain whatsoever. On most sunny days as well I wont have it any higher. When I go to bed the phone is still at the same setting but now the brightness is lower and doesnt even bother me even with in the pitch black room.

The only way for you to solve this once and for all would be to compare another blackberry passport in the same room as you and see how bright and dim it gets.
    01-20-16 12:26 PM
    Even at the lowest setting, in complete darkness, the screen is way too bright. If I'm sleepless in the middle of the night, the only thing I can read on my Passport is Crackberry! All the newspaper apps and websites have only white backgrounds.

Is there an app that dims the screen beyond factory settings?

Posted via CB10 from my awesome Passport
    01-26-16 06:46 AM