Is there an android browser in the PlayStore that works well on the Passport?

Posted via CB10
    02-21-18 04:44 PM
    Is there an android browser in the PlayStore that works well on the Passport?

Posted via CB10
    Opera Mini.
    FF22 likes this.
    02-21-18 05:22 PM
    Opera Mini.
    Is it normal that opera mini always runs as a background process, even if I close it manually, it'll appear in the app list again as running when I look the next time.

Posted via Passport
    03-02-18 04:00 PM
    Is it normal that opera mini always runs as a background process, even if I close it manually, it'll appear in the app list again as running when I look the next time.

Posted via Passport
    Android apps don't run in the background on BB10. Task Managers simply wake other services when they are run.
    03-02-18 04:04 PM
    Android apps don't run in the background on BB10. Task Managers simply wake other services when they are run.
    Are you sure? I can always find opera and few others and when I select them I can "close" them.
    03-03-18 03:37 AM
    Are you sure? I can always find opera and few others and when I select them I can "close" them.
    Positive.

You can be successful in removing a service - but it wasn't running anyway unless the app was running in the foreground.
    03-03-18 07:26 AM
    Okay thanks! Still strange because e.g. whatsapp I can close in the foreground but still get messages. But maybe it's just because I'm coming from Debian and thinking "the Linux way" .

Posted via Passport
    03-03-18 03:26 PM
    The app kept opening on its own. I had to delete it.

Posted via CB10
    03-08-18 12:24 PM
    The app kept opening on its own. I had to delete it.

Posted via CB10
    A move Opera Mini made since the last few versions.
    It may be related to the added Opera account that there wasn't there before.

You may try to find an older version and test back. It should not open on it's own again...
    (From memory I would say that began 2-3 versions back)

Hope that helps!
    03-08-18 12:51 PM
    Yeah I've seen the explanations about Android Apps only running when open or minimized... unless they have specific BB10 headless options which only BlackBerry World Apps would have. And that using a Task Manager app from Android is like opening a fridge to see if the light it on....

But I haven't seen the explanation about how so many still get notifications... which many browsers today also want to do this now. Nor how some Android applications drain power or use CPU cycles where they are not open or minimized for days.

Has to be some sort of notification services that ever few minutes says OK you Android Apps can sync.... And at this point that's probable most of them.
    03-08-18 12:55 PM
    I am not sure of the specifics of the terminology that Conite wants to use explaining what is happening behind the scenes but I do know that my podcasts and other media would pause or stop due to an interruption. I use taskmanager to force close any android apps I don't need to be notified by to keep resources low.
    After having done this my media plays smoothly without any interruptions.

We can argue all day about what is going on and I really don't care but doing this has fixed my problem 100%

I have been using the stock browser on desktop mode lately and tapping "I" or "o" to zoom in or out. Also "R" for reader mode is pretty handy also.

For an alternative android browser that will access the most stubborn sites I have used Yubrowser which was designed for the processor in the Passport so it works well just don't use night mode.

I was wondering though if anyone knows if there is a way to toggle between mobile and desktop mode more easily in the stock browser? Is there an app or something that helps me do this?
    03-09-18 04:49 PM
    Yeah I've seen the explanations about Android Apps only running when open or minimized... unless they have specific BB10 headless options which only BlackBerry World Apps would have. And that using a Task Manager app from Android is like opening a fridge to see if the light it on....

But I haven't seen the explanation about how so many still get notifications... which many browsers today also want to do this now. Nor how some Android applications drain power or use CPU cycles where they are not open or minimized for days.

Has to be some sort of notification services that ever few minutes says OK you Android Apps can sync.... And at this point that's probable most of them.
    Afaik notifications are pushed by Google Cloud Notifications. I guess the Android runtime that runs permanently pushes these and then the app is launched when you click on the notification.

Posted via CB10
    03-10-18 08:43 AM

Notifications are handled by the Android Runtime - not the specific app.

That's why the HUB notification for an Android app is just a link to open the app.
    03-10-18 08:46 AM
    Regular opera works for me. Opera mini is so much slower and constantly crashes

Posted with my  BlackBerry Passport SE™
    03-10-18 11:13 AM
    I agree Opera had a weird behaviour, not undercontrol, so I had to remove, I hope future versions can be really stopped

Posted via CB10
    05-11-18 04:46 AM