Am considering the purchase of a pp passport an want to know if any of the security features would be compromised by side loading Google services.

Additionally, are there any third party apps available for controlling individual app permissions on the passport?

@blalze, thank you for your quick and concise response. As I am not technical.

Finally, Forgive me if I'm out of line, as I dare say that if your previous answer is correct, then blackberry would sell a lot more devices if thy did a better job of communicating this information to non technical people.

Thanks again.
    05-07-16 11:08 AM
    There is no risk to the core OS of the device, but you still have to behave responsibly when it comes to what apps you install from a privacy perspective.

Currently, there is a way to install a modified Google Play Services and Store on a BB10 device, but as time goes on, it is becoming more and more difficult for Cobalt to keep doing it because of continuous changes at Google's end. I foresee a day soon, when this will no longer be possible. Combined with the fact that the Android Runtime on BB10 will forever be stuck on Jellybean, I would not pin my purchase decision on continued support for the latest Android apps.

Buy a Passport if you like a physical keyboard and if your primary use is email and BBM. WhatsApp will be discontinuing support at the end of the year, and we only have workarounds for Facebook Messenger.
    05-07-16 11:17 AM