I was in a Telus store in BC this weekend and was looking at the passport. I wanted to see the all in cost with taxes etc to make a decision on buying one off-contract. However the store said they would not even sell one off contract. They said It is Telus "policy" to not sell a phone off contract within the first 3 months of release.

Shocking to say the least and not sure where they got this line of bs from.
    09-29-14 02:37 PM
    Go to another Telus store. Or another store that sells Telus.

Posted via CB10
    09-29-14 02:39 PM
    ... They obviously make a lot more $ selling a phone and contract than just a phone, and if they have limited phones on hand...
    09-29-14 02:40 PM
    Tell them you want to go prepaid monthly. I was told a few stores input that on their computer and can sell it, it would however cost an additional $35 from what I have been told. I was prepared to do all that and unlock the phone myself(Telus wouldn't do it for me until after 90 days) but I decided I could wait another week until Rogers gets it in(painfully waiting now).
    09-29-14 02:43 PM
    Similar situation happened to me near Toronto when I tried to inquire about buying one and possibly try out a demo.

Future Shop wouldn't sell it to me off contract (on Telus and no demo or Dummy unit in sight).

Went to the Telus store, and the rep said I could buy it outright but Telus wouldn't unlock it for the first 3 months. I'd have to confirm that last part with Telus though as that's just what the rep told me.

Posted via CB10
    09-29-14 02:45 PM
    I will just wait for Rogers at this point. Just was annoyed as there is no hard and fast Telus "policy" on this. Maybe it is a good thing as the phone is selling better than expected. Maybe that is the upside.
    09-29-14 02:47 PM
    Similar situation happened to me near Toronto when I tried to inquire about buying one and possibly try out a demo.

Future Shop wouldn't sell it to me off contract (on Telus and no demo or Dummy unit in sight).

Went to the Telus store, and the rep said I could buy it outright but Telus wouldn't unlock it for the first 3 months. I'd have to confirm that last part with Telus though as that's just what the rep told me.

Posted via CB10
    You should go back. CRTC says a phone bought outright has to be unlocked immediately upon request by customer. Only with subsidized phones does telus have the right to refuse unlocking for three months.

http://www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/info_sht/t15.htm
    Last edited by Vetboy; 09-29-14 at 03:01 PM.
    09-29-14 02:48 PM
    So buy it from Blackberry!?
    09-29-14 02:51 PM
    Hopefully Rogers doesn't give me the same line on Wednesday if I decide to go. I bought an lg3 for my daughter a month ago off contract, ( I have 3 lines due 2015-2016) that I want to let expire, so I can check out my options. ( although I don't think there are many) after a couple minutes they said I could buy the phone, but not on credit, only cash. I said OK. I don't think half of them know the rules anyway. They always have to check with someone!
    09-29-14 02:59 PM
    You should go back. CRTC says a phone bought outright has to be unlocked immediately upon request by customer. Only with subsidized phones does telus have the right to refuse unlocking for three months.

http://www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/info_sht/t15.htm
    Uber helpful!
    Off the top of your head from reading that before I dive in, do you know if once a phone is fully paid off if they will unlock it?

Z10STL100-3/10.3.0.1052
    09-29-14 03:06 PM

Checklist: Do You Know Your Rights as a Wireless Consumer?
    Upon reading that link it seems that a contract still has to be in play.
    09-29-14 03:07 PM
    Same thing at my Future Shop. No Demo and actually no BlackBerry section at all (used to have one). They wouldn't open one for me to see but a guy beside me was just finishing buying one and passed it over to me for a couple minutes.
    09-29-14 03:08 PM
    Strange, I bought mine straight from Telus off the website with no contract. I received it this mourning. That policy must be a store policy or something.

All in, with new SIM, it was just shy of $800, and I'm in BC.
    09-29-14 03:11 PM
    I think the reason they (and others) don't sell the phone outright is because they have them in stock for their customers that are signing up for new contracts or renewing long term contracts. It not that they don't want to make their current clients happy, it's just that they have them to bring in more business and not to be a reseller for BlackBerry.

I too had a similar issue trying to buy the Z10 when it first came out... I wasn't happy but understood the reason.

A slow climb to the top is always more rewarding. Sent using my BlackBerry Z10.
    09-29-14 03:11 PM
    Strange, I bought mine straight from Telus off the website with no contract. I received it this mourning. That policy must be a store policy or something.

All in, with new SIM, it was just shy of $800, and I'm in BC.
    *morning, unless you're mourning the death of your last phone maybe? :P

Z10STL100-3/10.3.0.1052
    09-29-14 03:42 PM
    This is great ammunition to have when going in to purchase outright!

Thanks for the checklist!

Checklist: Do You Know Your Rights as a Wireless Consumer?
    09-29-14 03:48 PM
    They should if not buy it on a prepaid 15 dollar account add 40 dollars to the account then call customer service and tell them to unlock it with the 40 dollar balance you have. It costs extra 20 bux to do it this way but you will be using your passport within 5 mins...

Posted via CB10
    09-29-14 03:51 PM
    I was in a Telus store in BC this weekend and was looking at the passport. I wanted to see the all in cost with taxes etc to make a decision on buying one off-contract. However the store said they would not even sell one off contract. They said It is Telus "policy" to not sell a phone off contract within the first 3 months of release.

Shocking to say the least and not sure where they got this line of bs from.
    Go look at their website. They sell them outright. PERIOD!

https://shop.telus.com/blackberry_pa...assportShopCTA

Select new customer.

Telus would not sell me Passport off contract-telus-pp-sep-29.jpg
    09-29-14 03:54 PM
    1500 Royal York Rd Unit 22,
    Etobicoke ON M9P 3B6
    1-416-241-6626

This is the Telus/Neo-Cell that did it for me for the people in toronto. They did everything even calling the Telus customer for unlock code.

Posted via CB10
    Supa_Fly1 likes this.
    09-29-14 03:57 PM
    They must have just started that because last year I got my z30 launch weekend from Telus off contract and then I unlocked it myself and put my rogers sim in

Posted via CB10
    09-29-14 04:18 PM
    I went to a Telus store in Hamilton, Ontario today and told the guy I was almost ready to buy as soon as I can get my hands on a belt clip or holster for it as I am not interested in carrying it in my pocket.

If he had a belt clip in stock, I would have bought the phone then and there.

Bottom line, I told him I wanted to buy it outright, and he said no problem, and was frothing at the mouth to make a sale.

He took my phone number down and said he would call me as soon as a belt clip/holster for the passport is available from his store.
    09-29-14 04:39 PM
    Buy it from ShopBlackBerry.com. At least it will come unlocked.
    09-29-14 05:07 PM
    Actually now that I think of it more. Telus would sell me the z30 "off contract" but they wouldn't "unlock" it for me unless I had service with them for 3 months (including pay as you go). Which is why I ended up doing my unlock through the Internet

Posted via CB10
    09-29-14 05:08 PM
    Telus at Metrotown and Guildford in Vancouver/Surrey were selling outright last week, although I do believe metro town wanted you to purchase a one month prepaid card as well
    09-29-14 06:00 PM
    Passport now available to order again from Shop BlackBerry Canada.

Posted Using a Z30 Via CB10
    09-29-14 06:07 PM
46 12