Got my Passport today at Telus.

Paid 700 plus tax. Bought a pay as you go option. Filled the "card" with $35 and spent it on the unlocking fee. Called Rogers with my disappointment of not being able to get it from them so they credited me the $10 for the Nano Sim

So 735 plus tax and I walked out with an unlocked phone working on Rogers. No shipping hassles, warranty issues or waiting

It is currently doing an OS update to 10.3.738 (OS .1154). I may just do a fresh install and not a device swap.

My wife gets the Z30 and we sell our pair of Z10s.

No more contract! I will upload pictures later but the feel of it is just wicked: fast OS, brilliant screen, keys are excellent and it is no problem with one hand - even though I have always preferred to type with both.

Me happy.
    Last edited by mndb369; 09-25-14 at 03:57 PM.
    09-25-14 03:42 PM
    [QUOTE=mndb369;10888087]Got my Passport today at Telus.

Paid 700 plus tax. Bought a pay as you go option. Filled the "card" with $35 and spent it on the unlocking fee. Called Rogers with my disappointment of not being able to get it from them so they credited me the $10 for the Nano Sim

So 735 plus tax and I walked out with an unlocked phone working on Rogers. No shipping hassles, warranty issues or waiting

It is currently doing an OS update to 10.3.738 (OS .1154). I may just do a fresh install and not a device swap.

My wife gets the Z30 and we sell our pair of Z10s.

No more contract! I will upload pictures later but the feel of it is just wicked: fast OS, brilliant screen, keys are excellent and it is no problem with one hand - even though I have always preferred to type with both.

Me happy

Telus was able to unlock it for you right away?
    09-25-14 04:11 PM
    Took 20 mins - always depends on the tech you get to help
    09-25-14 04:56 PM
    Took 20 mins - always depends on the tech you get to help
    Sorry. What I meant was even though I'm not a Telus customer. I can walk in but the phone on pay as you go and request it to be unlocked without waiting 3 months or so? Did you unlock it in store or did you call Telus customer service from the store ? I'm gonna try this at Telus now I'm just worried they will look at me like I'm from Mars lol
    09-25-14 04:59 PM
    Really makes me wonder how many passports have been sold. I have been with Telus for years and also walked in on launch day and grabbed one.

Posted via CB10
    09-25-14 05:01 PM
    Let me know how it goes. Phone was so cheap on 2 year that I opted for the ETF with bell. Didn't think that there was a way around the 90 policy

Posted via CB10
    09-25-14 05:01 PM
    Let me know how it goes. Phone was so cheap on 2 year that I opted for the ETF with bell. Didn't think that there was a way around the 90 policy

Posted via CB10
    Ya, I have a feeling they will make me wait 90 days before unlocking. Hope that wasn't just a one off. Wish me luck
    09-25-14 05:03 PM
    Really makes me wonder how many passports have been sold. I have been with Telus for years and also walked in on launch day and grabbed one.

Posted via CB10
    I should walked in on launch day, rather than order online. I ordered it a little after lunch time and expected it to come in the following day. I didnt even receive a tracking number yet on my order -_-

I'm sure many other Telus customers are in this boat
    09-25-14 05:07 PM
    I should walked in on launch day, rather than order online. I ordered it a little after lunch time and expected it to come in the following day. I didnt even receive a tracking number yet on my order -_-

They won't unlock it until 90 days. Any other way to unlock his device ?

I'm sure many other Telus customers are in this boat
    09-25-14 05:28 PM
    Got this off the Telus forums. You can unlock right away if purchased outright. Only have to wait 90 days if the phone is subsidized (i.e. on contract).

"Typically they will unlock it if the phone is paid off.

See >> Select your region | Telus.com

Eligibility

Device unlocking applies to TELUS postpaid and prepaid SIM-based devices that operate on our Mike, and 4G networks. For subsidized devices, you must ensure that your device has been on the TELUS network for a minimum of 90 days and that your account is up to date and in good standing. If you have purchased your phone outright or do not have an outstanding Device Balance, the device can be unlocked immediately. A one-time fee will apply.

Rates

A $35 fee will be applied to your TELUS account."

This came about because of this:
    Cell Phone Freedom Act (Bill C-343) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There are actually times when government legislation works. Hope that helps.
    09-25-14 05:32 PM
    Yes - it was exactly how I described it. Bought it outright and unlocked within 20 mins at the store. They did everything for me
    09-25-14 07:23 PM
    Got this off the Telus forums. You can unlock right away if purchased outright. Only have to wait 90 days if the phone is subsidized (i.e. on contract).

"Typically they will unlock it if the phone is paid off.

See >> Select your region | Telus.com

Eligibility

Device unlocking applies to TELUS postpaid and prepaid SIM-based devices that operate on our Mike, and 4G networks. For subsidized devices, you must ensure that your device has been on the TELUS network for a minimum of 90 days and that your account is up to date and in good standing. If you have purchased your phone outright or do not have an outstanding Device Balance, the device can be unlocked immediately. A one-time fee will apply.

Rates

A $35 fee will be applied to your TELUS account."

This came about because of this:
    Cell Phone Freedom Act (Bill C-343) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There are actually times when government legislation works. Hope that helps.
    I knew i should have just called telus customer service rather than trusting the workers at the store
    09-25-14 07:27 PM
  13. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    Very nice... i had to order one online (shop blackberry) as i am not in canada right now...

Still awaiting shipping to my toronto home. lots of online orders have them already on backlog)

When I get it .. someone there (toronto) will then courier it to me...here in tokyo.

Enjoy!! It's a gorgeous phone!!

Posted via CB10
    09-25-14 07:33 PM
    Very nice... i had to order one online (shop blackberry) as i am not in canada right now...

Still awaiting shipping to my toronto home. lots of online orders have them already on backlog)

When I get it .. someone there (toronto) will then courier it to me...here in tokyo.

Enjoy!! It's a gorgeous phone!!

Posted via CB10
    Was in Tokyo for a fly over, currently in Hong Kong until June, may have to import a Canadian unit from back home.

Posted via CB10
    09-25-14 07:46 PM
    Just to make sure I am understanding correctly - you opened up a prepaid account, funded it with $35 then used that balance to pay off the unlocking fee?
    09-25-14 07:51 PM
    I went to Telus yesterday and the guy said he can't unlock until after two weeks for $35. I told him i'll wait for Rogers next week.
    09-25-14 07:54 PM
    Yes. Pay as you go 35 which funded the unlocking.

Posted via CB10
    09-25-14 07:55 PM
    ya me too... tho i ordered at 8am mst.... still no tracking number for shipment
    09-25-14 07:57 PM
    Thanks buddy. I went to Telus purchased the passport, unlocked it by calling customers service and done. Now typing on my passport and love it.

Posted via CB10
    09-25-14 10:32 PM
    I remember reading the new rules from CRTC, which states that the customer has the right to get their phone unlocked immediately if the phone was paid in full. Only when the phone is bought on-contract that there's a grace period.

I am quite certain this is the new rule. So if the rep says otherwise, then they're violating the law. Look up the CRTC website, the rules are posted there.

Posted via CB10 on my Z30
    09-25-14 10:40 PM
    I did the same this morning. I bought the phone out right. They said they couldn't give me the unlock code because I didn't have "an account". So I made a 15 dollar prepaid account then topped up to 40 bux and used the 40 balance to pay them to get the unlock code. Lol what a shame I have a telus sim with a 416 area code that I will sell the number to cover the unlocking fee. There are a lot of people that would like a 416 number in toronto...
    09-25-14 10:53 PM
    I tried that in Edmonton at a Telus store and it was going to cost me 10$ for the sim, 35$ for activation and 35$ for unlocking. I said I would wait till next week. I'm 80 in line on Rogers. Woo!

Posted via CB10
    09-25-14 11:42 PM
    The store I went to investigated for me before I went. They call it the "workaround" and if they get a level one tech then they can do it all in for $35. Also I now have a backup pay as you go phone number from Telus (I just need to put some money on the card)
    09-25-14 11:56 PM
    I remember reading the new rules from CRTC, which states that the customer has the right to get their phone unlocked immediately if the phone was paid in full. Only when the phone is bought on-contract that there's a grace period.

I am quite certain this is the new rule. So if the rep says otherwise, then they're violating the law. Look up the CRTC website, the rules are posted there.

Posted via CB10 on my Z30
    Via CRTC

to have your phone unlocked after 90 days, or immediately if you paid in full for your phone, at the rate specified by the service provider, upon request

Posted Pantlessly via My Kick @ss BlackBerry Passport!!!
    09-26-14 12:06 AM
    What a genius way to do it! Would updates for the OS still be pushed through telus or rogers since your using a rogers Sim

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    09-26-14 01:11 AM
27 12