They're wrong, and the sales rep at that location is full of it. I work at Telus and you can buy off contract with immediate unlock. It's bloody federal law, for god's sake.
    Which part is law? That Telus has to sell you the phone off-contract upon request, or they have to immediately unlock it, or both? From my understanding (and I'm not Canadian, much less a Telus employee or a legal expert,) they have to unlock off-contract phones immediately, but aren't obligated (by law) to sell them in the first place.
    10-01-14 10:30 AM
    Which part is law? That Telus has to sell you the phone off-contract upon request, or they have to immediately unlock it, or both? From my understanding (and I'm not Canadian, much less a Telus employee or a legal expert,) they have to unlock off-contract phones immediately, but aren't obligated (by law) to sell them in the first place.
    This is absolutely correct.

Posted via CB10
    10-01-14 10:51 AM
    Get a prepaid account, put $50 dollars on it. After you activate the phone, call customer service for the unlock code.

You get the Telus phone number, become a wireless customer, and are not on contract so there's no 90 wait (assuming this has something to do with contract subsidies). Because you are a customer of theirs, and bought the phone outright, them must give you the unlock code

$50 covers the unlock fee, and the cost associated with the initial downloads and such while setting up the phone.

Try and get the staff to help you get the code.

Passport || Fido
    Absolutely no reason they should turn down the outright purchase. Saying that Rogers has corporate stores and franchise stores. Corporate stores will be selling the phone out right franchise stores will not. Maybe this is similar for Telus? Regardless, the above post is exactly how you get them carrier unlocked or an online service. I used unlockmenow.ca cost was 16.50 including taxes. Got my unlock code in about 4 hours

Posted Pantlessly via My Kick @ss BlackBerry Passport!!!
    10-01-14 11:04 AM
    It doesn't matter how long you've been with any cell phone company... they do not care...
    10-01-14 11:10 AM
    This is absolutely correct.

Posted via CB10
    Via CRTC

to have your phone unlocked after 90 days, or immediately if you paid in full for your phone, at the rate specified by the service provider, upon request

Telus fee for unlocking the passport is 30.00

10-01-14 11:11 AM
    Via CRTC

to have your phone unlocked after 90 days, or immediately if you paid in full for your phone, at the rate specified by the service provider, upon request

Telus fee for unlocking the passport is 30.00

$35

Posted via CB10
    10-01-14 11:15 AM
    UPDATE:

My mom has secured phones and she will buy off plan...here is the catch...they now ay they will cost 100cdn more now then yesterday .

Cost is 800CDN..

When does the BS stop ..TELUS
    Here is a post from Sep 29th where I show a screen shot from Telus website that outright purchase price is $700 No Term. So if you discussed the purchase with you before Sep 30th they should have to honour $700 as shown on their site.

Just give the IMEI numbers to anyone with a Telus account in good standing and they can get them unlocked. My Nephew did that for me.

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe.../#post10906200
    bizzarothor likes this.
    10-01-14 11:22 AM
    So just so I understand this, my mom will buy the phones off plan. She will bring them to Asia where I will boot for the first time. After I boot them up do I them look for an unlocking company. Do i need any sim in the phone for this ?

Just want to sort this before she leaves Canada to Asia.

I really appreciate all the help BB Crew
    10-01-14 11:42 AM
    Telus can not sell you a unlock code unless you have an account with them.

FOR UNLOCK CODE FROM TELUS YOU NEED A ACCOUNT # FOR THEM TO ENTER IN THEIR SYSTEM...
    ??? Sorry but that is not correct.

The CRTC rules under the WIRELESS CODE are very clear and the carrier whom the phone is purchased from is legally obligated to provide unlock codes to phones that are purchased outright (i.e. unsubsidized) from them.

CRTC Wireless Code Section F "Mobile Device Issues", part 1. "Unlocking" clearly states:

"A service provider that provides a locked device to the customer as part of a contract must
    for subsidized devices: unlock the device, or give the customer the means to unlock the device, upon request, at the rate specified by the service provider, no later than 90 calendar days after the contract start date.

For unsubsidized devices: unlock the device, or give the customer the means to unlock the device, at the rate specified by the service provider, upon request.

For clarity purposes, when they say "the means to unlock the device", this is in reference to the carrier being allowed to sell the unlock code for a price as opposed to having to just give it to the customer who purchased the unsubsidized device.

Not sure where you got your misinformation from, but I've bought a few phones from difference Canadian carriers without having an account with them, including Telus, with zero issue. As a Canadian you really should know your legal rights.

Here you go:
    The Wireless Code
    10-01-14 12:01 PM
    ??? Sorry but that is not correct.

The CRTC rules under the WIRELESS CODE are very clear and the carrier whom the phone is purchased from is legally obligated to provide unlock codes to phones that are purchased outright (i.e. unsubsidized) from them.

CRTC Wireless Code Section F "Mobile Device Issues", part 1. "Unlocking" clearly states:

"A service provider that provides a locked device to the customer as part of a contract must
    for subsidized devices: unlock the device, or give the customer the means to unlock the device, upon request, at the rate specified by the service provider, no later than 90 calendar days after the contract start date.

for unsubsidized devices: unlock the device, or give the customer the means to unlock the device, at the rate specified by the service provider, upon request.

Not sure where you got your misinformation but as a Canadian you really should know your legal right.

Here you go:
    The Wireless Code
    Opening an account with Telus is free. They just need some means to bill you. What are you going to do otherwise, throw money at your phone while you're talking to the customer service staff?

Posted via CB10
    10-01-14 12:04 PM
    The CRTC ruling means nothing. It cannot be enforced. The argument is predicated on the assumption that
    TELUS MUST give you a phone if you choose to buy one. TELUS can choose not to sell you one though.

Don't let the "off contract" option on the websites fool you. TELUS isn't obligated to sell anyone anything. If it is high-demand they would rather keep it for their customers instead of giving it out to one-timers. I assure you this is 100% legal to do.

They're choosing the contract-only option to maximize their profits. I suspect ROGERS and BELL will do the same if demand is high.

It sucks for those who want to drop money right away on a device. But in the end there's nothing to be done if they choose not to sell you unlocked phones.
    10-01-14 12:09 PM
    You're correct in that a carrier does not have to sell any device if a customer is not purchasing a plan with them.
    10-01-14 12:10 PM
    The CRTC ruling means nothing. It cannot be enforced.

Don't let the "off contract" option on the websites fool you. TELUS isn't obligated to sell anyone anything. If it is high-demand they would rather keep it for their customers instead of giving it out to one-timers. I assure you this is 100% legal to do.

They're choosing the contract-only option to maximize their profits. I suspect ROGERS and BELL will do the same if demand is high.

It sucks for those who want to drop money right away on a device. But in the end there's nothing to be done if they choose not to sell you unlocked phones.
    Could not agree more !

And for clarity' sake :

http://www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/info_sht/t15.htm

Checklist: Do You Know Your Rights as a Wireless Consumer?

[PDF version]

The Wireless Code establishes basic rights for all wireless consumers and puts new requirements on service providers.

This checklist will help you understand the most important things that the Code does for you. Want more detailed information? Consult the Wireless Code.

Do you pay your bill after you use your wireless service? If so, you use postpaid services, and you have the right

to cancel your contract at no cost after a maximum of two years
    to cancel your contract and return your phone at no cost, within 15 days and specific usage limits, if you are unhappy with your service
    to have your service suspended at no cost if your phone is lost or stolen
    to receive a Critical Information Summary, which explains your contract in under two pages
    to receive a notification when you are roaming in a different country, telling you what the rates are for voice services, text messages, and data usage
    to limit your data overage charges to $50 a month and your data roaming charges to $100 a month
    to pay no extra charges for a service described as ?unlimited?
    to refuse a change to the key terms and conditions of your contract, including the services in your contract, the price for those services, and the duration of your contract
    Your contract must

use plain language and clearly describe the services you will receive
    include information on when and why you may be charged extra
    Do you pay before you use your wireless service? If so, you use prepaid services, and you have the right

to cancel your contract at no cost after a maximum of two years
    to cancel your contract and return your phone at no cost, within 15 days and specific usage limits, if you are unhappy with your service
    to have your phone unlocked after 90 days, or immediately if you paid in full for your phone
    to have your service suspended at no cost if your phone is lost or stolen
    to receive a notification when you are roaming in a different country, telling you what the rates are for voice services, text messages, and data usage
    to a minimum seven-day grace period in order to ?top up? your prepaid card account and retain your balance
    Your contract must

use plain language
    clearly describe the conditions that apply to your prepaid balance and how you can check your balance

Posted via CB10
    10-01-14 12:12 PM
    The CRTC ruling means nothing. It cannot be enforced. .
    You're correct in that Telus or any carrier for that matter does not have to sell a device without a plan. However if they do sell you a phone outright and then they won't unlock the device you can file a complaint -which will take time - in which at worse the carrier will receive a fine from the CRTC.

Honestly you're better off just checking out a different store until you find the one that will sell you the device.
    10-01-14 12:15 PM
    do you guys have a better business bureau in canada... you could report that store to them. Unless it is written somewhere in their ToS that they don't sell phones w/o plans then they technically are obligated.
    10-01-14 12:18 PM
    You're correct in that a carrier does not have to sell any device if a customer is not purchasing a plan with them.
    That's what I thought. It's the same way here in the US.

Now hearing about ETF/canceling procedures in Canada..that would be interesting.
    10-01-14 12:18 PM
    UPDATE:
    I am in Asia now and my 69 year old mom has been so patient with me. She is located in Red Deer Alberta.
    Don't know where you are in Asia but Passport had been launched in Malaysia and Singapore already. In both places the no-contract price is equivalent to U$750 or roughly so. No-contract Passport is available through M1 in Singapore if I am correct. It's also available in Hong Kong at close to 1 grant.
    Passport will be launch in Vietnam also on Nov 8 and should be at about U$ 750 also. Then you have The Phillipines and a couple of other countries.
    Might've saved your mom all the trouble.
    10-01-14 12:21 PM
    do you guys have a better business bureau in canada... you could report that store to them. Unless it is written somewhere in their ToS that they don't sell phones w/o plans then they technically are obligated.
    You are not correct. If they decide to sell only to existing customers as a promotion, that does not need to be in their terms of service.
    They are not legally obligated to sell anyone anything. By the way, yes Canada has a BBB outfit.
    10-01-14 01:42 PM
    They're wrong, and the sales rep at that location is full of it. I work at Telus and you can buy off contract with immediate unlock. It's bloody federal law, for god's sake. Send her to another Telus, and make sure it's a corporate store rather than a Telus dealer. Dealers do all sorts of shifty crap.

Short Stories and Similar Submissions, a Channel dedicated to creative writing and constructive critique C003CC54C. Daily Old Radio Shows! The only Channel that actually offers you a source for entertainment. C0012487D
    AGREED. DO NOT go to the telus store near food court at metrotown mall. I got a song ND dance and basically was told they do not sell outright.

Posted by CB10 / STA100-5 10.2.1.2977
    10-01-14 01:51 PM
    It doesn't matter how long you've been with any cell phone company... they do not care...
    Agreed!

Posted by CB10 / STA100-5 10.2.1.2977
    10-01-14 01:56 PM
    That's what I thought. It's the same way here in the US.

Now hearing about ETF/canceling procedures in Canada..that would be interesting.
    The EFT in Canada for a subsidized device is brutal. It doesn't go by a flat fee like we do in the States.

The are revising it per the CRT but the mobile companies in Canada are the worse. Below is how Roger's does it (albeit all the Canadian carriers do it the same way). I bolded the section to make it easier to follow:

"Device Savings Recovery Fee (applicable to term commitment customers only for any new term entered into on or after January 22, 2012)

A Device Savings Recovery Fee (DSRF) applies if you have been granted an Economic Inducement (as defined below) upon entering your new term, and if, for any reason, your wireless service or your new term is terminated prior to the end of the term of your Service Agreement (Service Agreement Term). The DSRF is the amount of the economic inducement (which may take the form of a discount, rebate or other benefit granted on the price of your Equipment), as stated in your Service Agreement (Economic Inducement), less the amount obtained by multiplying such Economic Inducement by a fraction representing the number of months elapsed in your Service Agreement Term as compared to the total number of months of your Service Agreement Term (plus applicable taxes).

In other words, DSRF = Economic Inducement - [Economic Inducement x (# months elapsed in your Service Agreement Term � Total # months in your Service Agreement Term)] + applicable taxes. An Additional Device Savings Recovery Fee (ADSRF) also applies if, for any reason, your wireless data service, or your data plan's commitment term (Data Term), is terminated prior to the end of your Data Term. The ADSRF is the additional Economic Inducement you received for subscribing to your wireless data service, less the amount obtained by multiplying such Economic Inducement by a fraction representing the number of months elapsed in your Data Term as compared to the total number of months of your Data Term (plus applicable taxes), and applies in addition to the DSRF for termination of your Service Agreement. If you subscribe to a plan combining both voice and data services, both the DSRF and the ADSRF apply, up to the total Economic Inducement."

Here, take a look: Rogers Early Cancellation Fee
    raino likes this.
    10-02-14 10:32 AM
    Isn't this title kind of misleading. They didn't really ban her...

Posted via CB10
    10-02-14 07:19 PM
    Isn't this title kind of misleading. They didn't really ban her...

Posted via CB10
    And what does age have to do with anything besides sensationalism??

Sent from my Q10 using Tapatalk
    10-02-14 07:47 PM
    Telus didn't ban a 69 year old mom, they, like other service providers are just holding on to their limited stock to fill orders for people who want a phone and a plan, which they make more money from. It is standard practice for many phones to be held for people looking for new plans and renewals until the demand levels out to match their supply.
    Stop talking like Telus is out kicking puppies, they are just watching their inventory to ensure their own customers get the phones before selling to outsiders.
    10-02-14 08:41 PM
    Terms of service imply a contract. The contract is pretty much the one thing this guy doesn't have as he is trying to buy *out of contract * they aren't obligated to do squat.
    10-02-14 08:44 PM
55 123