11-10-14 08:54 PM
55 123
tools
    On a side note T-Mob supports worldwide 4G frequencies so if you travel a lot no need to switch phones. Of course this doesn't concern you if you have a Passport but Im just saying.
    11-07-14 07:30 AM
    AT&T historically has been super slow at releasing BB 10 updates. We see this pattern continuing when they have not given any target date for the Passport. I went in to a corporate store to get the sim card for my passport and the girl knew nothing of the pp phone. She had no idea that they were going to carry it. I told her I thought they had to wait for the Chicago Cubs to win the world series before they could release the phone. So if you are going to depend on AT&T then you will not have much difference than T-M which is not carrying the phone. So determine what is the most important factors for you and then determine which carrier meets those and go with that one
    11-07-14 08:09 AM
    I have been with AT&T for over two years and find their coverage and service to be excellent. Tried Tmobile for a month and their coverage in the same area here in SC was not good at all outside of the cities. With the updated pricing and data allowances I find AT&T to be a better value. Enjoy the Passport!

Passport on AT&T
    11-07-14 08:20 AM
    Tmobile has better pricing but there network coverage sucks.

Posted via CB10
    lang007 likes this.
    11-07-14 08:53 AM
    If you're asking for our personal opinions go with AT&T. Far better overall coverage and faster LTE in my testings. I had both carriers. Tmo was my first and I had them twice and it actually got worse the second time mind you I lived and worked in the same place. With AT&T I must have been in the minority. A very pleasant experience with way better coverage especially as I traveled. Yes there were about $20/ month more but I look at it like this. Would I rather spend less on unlimited that doesn't work at all for me or spend a little extra and actually get service....

Posted via CB10
    lang007 likes this.
    11-07-14 09:51 AM
    My Passport will be here Friday by 8pm. I'm currently on Verizon and will need to port my phone number over to either AT&T or T-Mobile. So who should I go with. Looks like based on maps/coverage it's about the same in area here as Philadelphia and the suburbs gets good coverage on every carrier. Price point isn't far off and my company pays anyway so thats not much of a concern. I guess it comes down to customer service, etc. Do I just go with AT&T because they will eventually have the phone and T-Mobile won't be able to offer me tech support or anything because they won't have the phone?
    AT/T
    They have the best global coverage for American customers!

Posted via Passport OS 10.3.0.908/Rogers Wireless
    surgeon1919 likes this.
    11-07-14 10:09 AM
    I'm amazed that some here still think T Mobile offers wifi calling as a "feature" instead of a band aid for their sub-par coverage. Guess their marketing really works.

I get the international benefit, but if you are on wifi then there are so many ways to make a call (Skype, BBM voice, etc.).

The true value of a mobile operator is the strength of its network when you need to actually rely on it (i.e. When you don't have the luxury of wifi or sitting inside of an office building with a ethernet-connected work station in front of you).

For all the wifi calling, unradio gimmicks and everything else they try. The fact remains that the very basic service they need to provide is lacking,.. and they know it,.. which is why they offer cheaper prices (i.e. The fair value of the lower utility they provide to a customer).

http://arstechnica.com/information-t...t-and-verizon/

Posted via CB10
    surgeon1919 likes this.
    11-07-14 10:29 AM
    So even if they locked it they would be required to unlock it at your request. Additionally, if I'm correct...and I might not be...but the IMEI isn't in their database so they use a dummy IMEI to activate your phone so as long as you don't put it on a contract I don't see how they could luck a phone that doesn't technically have a device ID they own? That's just my "opinion/thought" though...would still try to confirm first.
    Impossible for anything else other than an iPhone to be locked once it's activated.

iPhones using a sim card are unlocked and only locked once activated by the carrier. That's why when you want to unlock an iPhone, the request is sent to Apple and then it may be done OTA or for sure through iTunes.

Posted via CB10
    11-07-14 10:36 AM
    My month is almost up on tmo. Gonna try a month with att. Tmo group msgs sucks. Have to send every txt at mms for it to work properly. Coverage here in ne phila is aight on tmo. But I do hit a lot of dead spots on bucks and montco. That's why I'll be trying att

Posted via CB10
    I feel you 100%

Posted via CB10
    11-07-14 11:02 AM
    I've been with Tmo for I think 9 - 10 years now. With the Passport not having WFC can't recommend Tmo. There are plenty of places in California where there is zero coverage by any carrier. (Like at my home). And there, WFC is king. In Europe, there's excellent coverage at Tmo's cheap rates. Plus, in hotels etc., WFC is fantastic. But domestic coverage is spotty. So, if I had to have a Passport, would have to consider AT&T.
    11-07-14 11:03 AM
    My company phone is a Z10 on AT&T, my personal phone is a Passport on TMo.
    I have a very heavy travel schedule which takes me all over the country. I rarely have coverage problems with either phone (more frequently with TMo) but the gaps are for less than a minute. The most frequent occurrence is on the tarmac waiting for flights to depart the gates.

Posted via CB10
    11-07-14 11:24 AM
    I'm amazed that some here still think T Mobile offers wifi calling as a "feature" instead of a band aid for their sub-par coverage. Guess their marketing really works.
    Please tell me how an ATT user inside my building is supposed to get coverage when the building blocks signals from VZW, ATT, TMO, and S? Wi-Fi Calling works and has its purpose. Why are there people who don't use TMO bashing on them for no reason other than to "hate", like Apple users bashing BlackBerry?

I get the international benefit, but if you are on wifi then there are so many ways to make a call (Skype, BBM voice, etc.).
    Yeah, and you can also use Android, iOS, or Windows Phone for better ecosystems, larger user-base, more device choices, etc.

The true value of a mobile operator is the strength of its network when you need to actually rely on it (i.e. When you don't have the luxury of wifi or sitting inside of an office building with a ethernet-connected work station in front of you).

For all the wifi calling, unradio gimmicks and everything else they try. The fact remains that the very basic service they need to provide is lacking,.. and they know it,.. which is why they offer cheaper prices (i.e. The fair value of the lower utility they provide to a customer).

Why T-Mobile needs Wi-Fi calling: its network can?t match AT&T and Verizon | Ars Technica
    Mobile coverage varies depending on where you are. If you're in a metro area, there isn't much difference in coverage between the carriers, as the report indicates. If you're in a metro area, why would you go out of your way to pay extra?

As for being able to rely on it... I was in Rome and received a phone call from the gas company. They had a technician at my door, waiting to get in to install a SmartMeter. He couldn't get the code I had left to work. My phone rang as usual and he had no idea I wasn't back in the States. I did not have to tell TMO I was traveling. I did not have to pay extra for an international package, like ATT's "Passport", which starts at $30/month. My four minute call cost me $0.80, $0.20/minute. ATT's Passport $30 plan charges an additional $1/minute for voice. Their $120 plan only gets the voice rate down to $0.35/minute. For me, not only was I able to rely that I would get coverage but it was cheap to boot!
    11-07-14 11:48 AM
    If you think WFC is a band-aid, sorry, try it. As has been pointed out above, it's simply a great feature. And, it's essentially seamless. You don't need another number, it's free, anyone you call or who calls you, does not need the app. Even though my phone is unlocked, I never have to use an alien SIM and let my friends/colleagues know... "Oh, yeah, while in France I'll be at this number: + MERDE-895624730868462-0985-638723&7402385-9-0-9. Did you get that?" And, BTW, if it were just a band-aid, why is Sprint implementing it currently on some Androids? And... why is AT&T bragging about bringing it out in a year?
    11-07-14 12:24 PM
    If you think WFC is a band-aid, sorry, try it. As has been pointed out above, it's simply a great feature. And, it's essentially seamless. You don't need another number, it's free, anyone you call or who calls you, does not need the app. Even though my phone is unlocked, I never have to use an alien SIM and let my friends/colleagues know... "Oh, yeah, while in France I'll be at this number: + MERDE-895624730868462-0985-638723&7402385-9-0-9. Did you get that?" And, BTW, if it were just a band-aid, why is Sprint implementing it currently on some Androids? And... why is AT&T bragging about bringing it out in a year?
    Because marketing has confused people like you into thinking it's a feature.

Like I said,.. if you're in a building with wifi,.. then even an iPod touch can make calls. If you're in your office,.. then you probably have a real phone right there next to your desk.

But if you're on the road,... the only connection you have is your mobile network. That's when it really counts, and T-Mobile's real coverage is clearly inferior.

Like I said,.. the international aspect is nice, but I would rather have a solid network where I spend most of my time, even if it means paying a bit extra when I travel. I always leave my phone one whether it's Verizon or AT&T while I travel, any urgent calls can come in as needed, but a cheap local sim with the better local carrier will get me the data I need.

Posted via CB10
    11-07-14 12:54 PM
    Because marketing has confused people like you into thinking it's a feature.

Like I said,.. if you're in a building with wifi,.. then even an iPod touch can make calls. If you're in your office,.. then you probably have a real phone right there next to your desk.

But if you're on the road,... the only connection you have is your mobile network. That's when it really counts, and T-Mobile's real coverage is clearly inferior.

Like I said,.. the international aspect is nice, but I would rather have a solid network where I spend most of my time, even if it means paying a bit extra when I travel. I always leave my phone one whether it's Verizon or AT&T while I travel, any urgent calls can come in as needed, but a cheap local sim with the better local carrier will get me the data I need.

Posted via CB10
    It's a great feature. In fact, I didn't even know Tmo had it when I signed up. Clearly you are never in a situation where it would matter for you. That's cool. But, no serious business person is going to expect his or her colleagues to call an alien SIM. Urgent calls? All my calls are important. I have solid network in So. Cal. I roam on AT&T back east (when needed). And, for all the spots where there is zero reception, I can use WFC. While everyone else -- including you -- would be SOL. And, honestly, I am too busy to run around charging up a local SIM. Like I said, if you are going to buy a phone that will not get Tmo's WFC, then better to go with at&t probably. But if you are a serious traveler, Tmo still wins because of their rates.

Look, I'm sorry you don't have WFC, seems to bother you a lot.
    cbvinh and doxa sub750T like this.
    11-07-14 01:12 PM
    Had Verizon, went with ATT. Pretty seamless.

Posted via CB10
    11-07-14 02:00 PM
    I hope no one here is spreading the rumor that t-mobile wifi calling works in passport. Because it doesn't. Like many others who chimed in, if you get great t-mobile reception where you used the phone must, by all means get it. I switched because 1. I didn't get good reception, 2. I was horrified how t-mobile handled the group texting.

I have skype account with the number so I can use the wifi calling that way. It is less than ideal, at least I have an option to receive make a call where there no cellphone coverage, but there is a wifi hotspot.

Posted via CB10
    11-07-14 02:58 PM
    I'm with tmobile and have the Passport, but if the pricing is the same go with the carrier that supports Blackberry. To hell with tmobile.

Brought to you by...My sweet Passport
    11-07-14 03:59 PM
    I'm with tmobile and have the Passport, but if the pricing is the same go with the carrier that supports Blackberry. To hell with tmobile.
    Until the Passport arrives on ATT and we see how well they support it, it's pretty clear that ATT does not support BlackBerry. Reps at ATT stores BlackBerry friendly? Nope. Software Updates pushed quickly? Nope. Decide on coverage where you use your phone.
    11-07-14 04:29 PM
    Use lots of cellular data and travel internationally, T-mobile.

Everyone else, AT&T (better network, continuing agreements with Blackberry to push up to date operating systems).
    11-07-14 04:35 PM
    I have a Passport on Tmobile and it works great! Fast 4GLTE. They even sent me a free Mano Sim. Been with T-Mobile for 10 years. When traveling it switches to AT&T (live in Ruan area).

Posted via CB10
    11-07-14 06:47 PM
    Wifi calling does NOT work on Tmobile Passport. Great on my Old Q10!

Posted via CB10
    11-07-14 06:49 PM
    I live in the suburbs and work in philly. Go with the AT&T. T-Mobile is cheap. But you get what you pay for. Spotty coverage, and pain in the arse group messaging. If you have a corporate discount, the monthly plan costs between two companies are wash. I tried T-Mobile for 3 days until I ditched them. Outside of Verizon, I don't think AT&T is the best bet.

Posted via CB10
    You're the only other person from Philly that I know uses BB. Definitely a small club.

Posted via CB10
    11-07-14 09:16 PM
    Until the Passport arrives on ATT and we see how well they support it, it's pretty clear that ATT does not support BlackBerry. Reps at ATT stores BlackBerry friendly? Nope. Software Updates pushed quickly? Nope. Decide on coverage where you use your phone.
    Good point. To hell with all US carriers, just especially tmobile.

Brought to you by...My sweet Passport
    11-07-14 09:41 PM
    AT&T doesn't have much love for BlackBerry, but TMO has an active feud! I'd go with AT&T unless you want to keep sideloading radios etc over the next couple of years.

If the feud gets bad and TMO wanted to they could also block BBM Video etc. on their network.

Posted via CB10
    11-07-14 09:58 PM
55 123